Tree Hugger Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Whack9
Commander

Re: Tree Hugger Thread

Unread post by Whack9 »

Leo Lyons wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:28 am
Whack9 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:07 am
You're right. We're all going to die. Unless you're historically significant, in a generation or two you'll be entirely forgotten. No one will even know you ever existed. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't aim to improve things for those already here. There's a lot of suffering in the world. We can either throw up our hands, declare it's all for nothing, and become nihilists reveling in the chaos because it's entertaining and lapse into hedonism, or we can do some good and help others and spread some love.

Read it again - Implicit in what you wrote is "me, me, me!" If what someone believes and what they do and why they do it rests on their ego and self centerdness and narcissism, then yeah, what you wrote rings true because you're just going to die anyway. Might as well become a nihilist.
Good reply, thanks.
I wouldn't go as far to label myself a total nihilist. I do wonder about our purpose on this f*cked up chunk of rock and water, but I do not reject religious and moral principles. I believe in a Supreme Creator, but I don't go for organized religious gatherings. I have many doubts about Old Testament events, but I leave them alone and leave those who follow them alone. As for morality, I detest immorality and the results I've seen from it.

What I see now and have seen in my years, is the same as will be seen in the future. Nothing will change, people will protest, get their names and pictures in the media, dictators will get richer, waters will still be polluted, three-toed-spotted-horned-swollygiffers will still be headed to extinction, and governments will be still debunking climate change.

"it is appointed unto men once to die"
I feel it.

People like that have always existed and they'll continue to exist.

I think it's our duty to always aim at becoming better versions of ourselves, even if others don't do the same and continue to be shitty. One of the things that gets in the way of this is our egos. We all have it, some more than others. Things don't go out way and we get mad. People are mean towards us or slight us and we get mad. We get into an argument with someone, they say something mean, and we get mad and want vengeance. Sometimes we want vengeance on the world in general. Like they say - "some just like to see the world burn". Most people lack the humility to sometimes step back and say "you know what, I said something mean in a fit of anger and I apologize. I was wrong". Shit man just think about how better things would be if we all had a little more humility? But even then, we're often too worried about our humility not being reciprocated and instead choose to counter with more of the same anger. Can that even be called humility?

I don't personally believe there's any inherent purpose or meaning in life. I don't think it matters whether or not there is, personally. I don't think it matters that the world is ambivalent to our suffering or that the bad guys sometimes win. It shouldn't have any bearing on who we are as people or who we choose to be as people. I know people suffer, and I know it's really shitty to have to suffer. We can choose to better ourselves and others, or we can choose to succumb anger, hatred, jealousy, resentment, cynicism, and nihilism. I don't know man, but my life has been so much more laid back and peaceful and happier since choosing the former and choosing to give up the latter.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

I don't know why we ever implemented sewage and sanitation systems, or invented vaccines. People are going to die, anyhow.

Stop the WCS Nuclear Waste Dump & Decades of Massive Radioactive Shipments
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCRZZC-DH7M

"If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
Let's break out the booze and have a ball"

A lot of things you do in life aren't because you want to live longer or think you might live longer, but just to make life better now.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

O Really wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:44 pm
A lot of things you do in life aren't because you want to live longer or think you might live longer, but just to make life better now.
I'm happy with the way things are now. If we all jump on the activist pro-this, pro-that, anti-this and that bandwagon, what good is it going to do once we're dead and gone? We'll never know the results.

Let's do some comparisons regarding your "just to make life better now" comment.

I recall Vrede's posts, that have since been deleted, wherein he spoke of his days of activism out West and the Midwest. He spoke of his groups protesting this and that, and today he's still protesting and posting petitions on one issue after another. I'm sure that's his way of wanting to "just to make life better now". I'm thinking he feels his actions will be fruitful by the numbers of protests/protestors and the numbers of signatures on a petition; and I feel certain that he was/is aware that many of his attempts will be useless.

As an LEO in drug enforcement, I too, hoped to make an impact of the flow of dangerous drugs entering into the U.S.; by doing so, I felt my actions would "make life better" by saving lives, despite knowing we were fighting a losing battle. Did we give up? I'm out of enforcement now; has DEA given up? Has Vrede given up on his ideologies in hopes of "just to make life better"? Once he and I are dead and gone, whatever we fought is still there and we "ain't done sh*t".

We have differing opinions of what "making life better" entails. My career's endeavors are met with vile, snarky criticisms, yet the results of my work saved lives, many of them young and too helpless to help themselves. Many of the lives lost, that billy and Vrede piss about were those who peddle the junk, and have no regards for who they hurt. Therefore, do I really care about that 3-toed-7 banded-crosseyed toe sucker that lives in a mosquito-infested swamp that a developer wants to drain, fill in, and build on? No! Do I really care that the search for oil and gas to keep people from freezing to death releases cow farts in the air? No. And lastly, do I really care that the government owns a nuclear weapons site in the mountains of Montana that is a deterrent against our enemies? Guess.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

Damn. There goes the beef.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Former Koch staffer appointed to key EPA position
The agency is stocked full of industry insiders.

The Environmental Protection Agency has hired a former Koch Industries staffer who worked on water and chemical policy to fill a key role within the agency, continuing a Trump administration trend of appointing company insiders to oversee the industries they are meant to regulate.

David Dunlap, a former Koch chemical engineer who has served as director of policy and regulatory affairs with the right-wing corporation since 2010, is joining the EPA as deputy assistant administrator for research and development. Prior to his eight years with Koch, Dunlap worked for the Chlorine Institute overseeing health and environmental safety, in addition to roles with both the Uniform and Textile Service Association and Ogden Environmental....
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Wild cats show on PBS, paraphrased: There are more tigers in captivity in the US than there are wild ones in the world. :(
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Is McNamee related to McBoatface?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Oh man, that sucks. I still remember cheering when the mine closed. Have you been there? The article mostly discusses the poisonous solid and liquid waste, but many more additional square miles were poisoned by the smelter's air pollution. The landscape is still denuded and generations of kids suffered brain and other neuro deficits from lead and other heavy metal poisoning.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Found while reading something else:

Kid: Dad, what's "science"?
Dad: I don't know, son - we're Republicans.

:lol: :cry: