Tree Hugger Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Tree Hugger Thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:20 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:30 am
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... roup-says/

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... os-707642/

"Not included in the evaluation process are the potential effects of exposure to chemicals in the air, ground or water."

"until recently, 95 percent of asbestos used in the United States came from Brazil, while the rest came from Russia. But the South American nation recently banned the mining and sale of the toxic substance, opening the door for Russia to fill the gap, which will be even larger if the U.S. resumes using the carcinogen in building materials. Russian asbestos manufacturers are thrilled."

Trump said, "I believe that the movement against asbestos was led by the mob, because it was often mob-related companies that would do the asbestos removal."

And there is nothing required in these applications to deal with disposal, renovations and demolition.
Somewhat understandable.

MMCaRGA

Make Me Cancer and Russia Great Again
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:52 am
MMCaRGA

Make Me Cancer and Russia Great Again
Trumpster fire.

Many, many more images
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Protect your right to know about chemicals in your products

Chemical and food corporations are pushing a bill that would allow them to hide toxic chemicals, including those believed to cause cancer, in their products. They want to gut the laws that keep us informed and safe. Send a message to your representatives asking them to steer clear of this bad bill!
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Trump Administration Hit With 7 Major Environmental Setbacks In Court In Past Week

United States District Judge for the District of South Carolina David C. Norton - Appointed by George H. W. Bush
Chief United States District Judge for the Eastern District of California Lawrence Joseph O'Neill - Appointed by George W. Bush
United States District Judge for the District of Montana Brian Morris - Appointed by Barack Obama, former clerk for con SCOTUS Chief Justice Rehnquist, Montana voters elected him to the Montana Supreme Court
United States Judge of the United States Court of International Trade Gary Stephen Katzmann - Appointed by Barack Obama
United States District Judge for the Central District of California Stephen Victor Wilson - Appointed by Ronald Reagan
Not included, judges not easy enough to ID:
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit, 2-to-1
U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, 3 rulings
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California

“Federal courts across the nation (and across all ideologies) are sending the Trump administration a pretty straightforward message: Stop breaking the law.”

:---P
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

One of the cases from above:

Court Orders Seafood Import Ban to Save Mexico’s Vaquita Porpoise

United States Judge of the United States Court of International Trade Gary Stephen Katzmann - Appointed by Barack Obama

:clap: Who knows whether POSPOTUS will energetically enforce and it may already be too late, anyhow. :(

Ryan Zinke Would 'Sell His Grandkids For Big Oil,' Says Washington Governor

Washington Gov. Jay Inslee slammed Ryan Zinke’s record on the environment Thursday, saying the interior secretary would “sell his grandchildren for big oil,” the Seattle Post-Intelligencer reported....

He upbraided Zinke for downplaying the role of climate change and blaming “extreme environmentalists” for the ever-worsening fire seasons in the West. “With climate change, you have a hotter, drier climate, Mr. Zinke. You have fires,” Inslee said. “What is there about this that you cannot comprehend?”

He added: “This man works for us. We do not pay him to give us false information. We get enough of that from the president.”

Inslee, surrounded by schoolchildren, scoffed that Zinke would “flunk any science test that these kids take,” the news outlet reported.

Inslee expanded on his comments about Zinke and his grandchildren to HuffPost on Friday. “Given the damage being done to our grandchildren’s future and his refusal to act against climate change, I call for Secretary Zinke to resign,” the governor said in a statement....

The governor’s harsh comments came in the wake of Zinke’s controversial trip to California communities devastated by wildfires last Sunday. The Interior secretary said that the solution to fires was to remove trees and that California was burning because environmentalists were keeping loggers out of public forests.

Earlier in the month, Donald Trump in a tweet blamed the state’s “environmental laws” — the most protective in the nation — and accused California of wasting water for firefighting by “diverting” it to the Pacific Ocean (where the state’s water naturally flows). California fire officials responded that they had plenty of water from lakes where the fires were burning. Trump also urged: “Must also tree clear to stop fire from spreading!”

... Inslee, referring to increased pollution in the Seattle area due to wildfire smoke, added: “Remember this smoke because where there’s smoke, there’s fire, and where there’s climate change, there’s a lot more forest on fire ... we are now breathing in climate change.”
:clap:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Leo Lyons wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:54 pm
"Donate to NRDC to help protect the air, land, and water from forces of pollution and corporate greed. Your donation will help us save wildlife and wild places by sponsoring some of the hardest hitting cases and campaigns in defense of nature."

I'm curious as to how any money that's donated helps to protect the air, land, and water from forces of pollution and corporate greed? :headscratch:
Accidents happen. Throwing money isn't going to prevent an accident happening.

Now, how does donating money protect from corporate greed; unless you are really contributing to corporate greed? What does sponsoring a case or campaign really do?

I wonder if people really read these pleas for money, or actually donate to these pleas? -0-?
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:49 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:40 pm
Really? Using money to fix problems is foreign to you?

Hope your house doesn’t have gutters.

But really Leo, doesn’t spreading awareness and a few lawsuits here and there effect change.

How young are you?
Thanks.

Mr.B used to whine about donation pleas, also, even though I NEVER quote them or link donation pages - you navigated there on your own - except very rarely for disaster relief, and mostly then because it's hard to sort the good ones from the bad ones. Is that pointless, too?
I don't know how the donations were divided, but in this case what worked is the money that went to lawyers and to whatever science the lawyers needed to make their case.
One of these:

Community Groups Force EPA to End Delay of Chemical Disaster Rule
Victory: Federal Court rules that life-saving protections must now be implemented by industry

:clap:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:28 am
The New York Times: He Was Dow's 'Dioxin Lawyer.' Now He's Trump's Choice to Run the Superfund Program..
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/28/clim ... rfund.html

Monsanto to Dow to trump's watchdog for the public.
Yeah sure.

The petition to the Senate reads:

"Block and resist the confirmation of DowDupont lawyer Peter Wright as assistant administrator for the EPA’s Office of Land and Emergency Management."
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Leo Lyons wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:05 pm
Wow, that's like a human thought.

Who are you and what have you done with Leo?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

We've got the money for both, it's our other priorities that are fucked up.
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:08 pm
Leo Lyons wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:05 pm
Wow, that's like a human thought.
I get 'em occasionally; I'm not all b.s. and feathers. I am an advocate for humanitarian issues.
Who are you and what have you done with Leo?
I can't tell you more than you already know; the last I saw of that sumbish was when he ran screeching away from...whatever.
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:30 pm
We've got the money for both, it's our other priorities that are fucked up.
Fer damm shure! Every government on this planet could have a part in fresh water, enough food and clothing, medications, and housing for every poor family in need, worldwide. It's a sorry plight when relief organizations have to beg for enough money for a truckload of rice and beans.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Murder and Intimidation of Environmental Activists Hits Record Levels
At least 207 people around the world were murdered in 2017 for standing up to agribusiness, mining and wildlife trafficking.

The assassins came for Colombian land-rights activist Hernán Bedoya on Dec. 5, 2017, shooting him 14 times and killing him instantly.

Bedoya, who had been defending his community against palm-oil and other industrial agriculture, was just one of a record number of environmentalists and eco-defenders who were murdered last year, according to data released today by Global Witness.

All told at least 207 men and women around the globe lost their lives in 2017 — four per week — as they tried to defend their homes and communities against mining, agriculture, wildlife trafficking and other legal and illegal activities.

The actual number of slain activists is probably much higher, as many of these killings take part in remote parts of the world and crimes are often covered up by government officials or corporations....

More than half the killings occurred in just two countries: Brazil, with 57 deaths, and the Philippines, with 48 — the latter being the highest number of deaths Global Witness has ever documented in an Asian country. Around the world at least 46 murders were linked to agribusiness, with 40 linked to the mining sector. A record 23 people, mostly rangers in Africa, were murdered by poachers and wildlife traffickers.

Intimidation

The murders themselves are just one prong of attack against activists. Hundreds of additional people each year are also intimidated or silenced by violence, sexual assaults, arrests, death threats, cyber-attacks or lawsuits.

In one of the most brutal encounters cited by Global Witness, 22 indigenous activists in Brazil were attacked by ranchers who have claimed their land. Two of the assaulted men had their hands cut off with machetes....

The Cycle Continues

What will the picture of intimidated and murdered activists look like for 2018? As of this writing (July 24, 2018), nearly 60 activists and defenders are known to have been murdered this year. Most recently, a park ranger was killed by rhino poachers in South Africa’s Kruger National Park on July 19.

And as happens far too often in cases like this, no arrests have yet been made for the crime.
:cry:
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Here's the bottom line:
No matter who you are or what you accomplish in this life, who you vote for, what you stand for, whether you are an activist or pacifist, Christian, atheist, conservationist, save the whales, save what-the-hell-ever, flying spaghetti monster, gay, straight, he-she, she-he, rich or poor --- your efforts in what you do ain't worth a fart in a whirlwind. You're a puff of wind in time, because it's going to end right here (or in a jar if you choose that route)

Now, go ahead and shriek and whine about your politics, who's better than who, gay rights, animal rights, pollution, fossil fuels, gun control, drug wars, legal drugs, shrinking rain forests, and on and on and on.... you're going to die, and there's not a thing you can do about it. All this crap you thought was so important to you, or made you feel important or better than someone else don't mean sh*t when you're a pile of bones (or ashes).

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Leo Lyons wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:00 pm
Here's the bottom line:
No matter who you are or what you accomplish in this life, who you vote for, what you stand for, whether you are an activist or pacifist, Christian, atheist, conservationist, save the whales, save what-the-hell-ever, flying spaghetti monster, gay, straight, he-she, she-he, rich or poor --- your efforts in what you do ain't worth a fart in a whirlwind. You're a puff of wind in time, because it's going to end right here (or in a jar if you choose that route)

Now, go ahead and shriek and whine about your politics, who's better than who, gay rights, animal rights, pollution, fossil fuels, gun control, drug wars, legal drugs, shrinking rain forests, and on and on and on.... you're going to die, and there's not a thing you can do about it. All this crap you thought was so important to you, or made you feel important or better than someone else don't mean sh*t when you're a pile of bones (or ashes).
You're right. We're all going to die. Unless you're historically significant, in a generation or two you'll be entirely forgotten. No one will even know you ever existed. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't aim to improve things for those already here. There's a lot of suffering in the world. We can either throw up our hands, declare it's all for nothing, and become nihilists reveling in the chaos because it's entertaining and lapse into hedonism, or we can do some good and help others and spread some love.

Read it again - Implicit in what you wrote is "me, me, me!" If what someone believes and what they do and why they do it rests on their ego and self centerdness and narcissism, then yeah, what you wrote rings true because you're just going to die anyway. Might as well become a nihilist.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Whack9 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:07 am
You're right. We're all going to die. Unless you're historically significant, in a generation or two you'll be entirely forgotten. No one will even know you ever existed. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't aim to improve things for those already here. There's a lot of suffering in the world. We can either throw up our hands, declare it's all for nothing, and become nihilists reveling in the chaos because it's entertaining and lapse into hedonism, or we can do some good and help others and spread some love.

Read it again - Implicit in what you wrote is "me, me, me!" If what someone believes and what they do and why they do it rests on their ego and self centerdness and narcissism, then yeah, what you wrote rings true because you're just going to die anyway. Might as well become a nihilist.
Good reply, thanks.
I wouldn't go as far to label myself a total nihilist. I do wonder about our purpose on this f*cked up chunk of rock and water, but I do not reject religious and moral principles. I believe in a Supreme Creator, but I don't go for organized religious gatherings. I have many doubts about Old Testament events, but I leave them alone and leave those who follow them alone. As for morality, I detest immorality and the results I've seen from it.

What I see now and have seen in my years, is the same as will be seen in the future. Nothing will change, people will protest, get their names and pictures in the media, dictators will get richer, waters will still be polluted, three-toed-spotted-horned-swollygiffers will still be headed to extinction, and governments will be still debunking climate change.

"it is appointed unto men once to die"