Tree Hugger Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Tree Hugger Thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:Rednecks, yes, but feral kids are gonna be feral wherever they are, and they're just kids, grampa. Call me a weirdo, but I like shrieking chaos. It makes me smile.

Any undeveloped place I go I try to pick up some trash, not only because it's right but also under the assumption that I've sometimes accidentally left something behind.

We have a sign at the path to the beach at our rental house asking people to bring back more than they take down. People leave positive comments about the sign.

We aren't in a crowded area and really don't have a problem. The beaches around public parking lots and hotels are a different story.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:I've spent much of my life living at or within biking distance from a beach. I've taken plastic bags and six-pack rings, and generated some trash from food and poop from the dogs and I've never left so much as a crumb on the beach. I'd sign a petition to keep rednecks and feral kids off the beach.
Rednecks and other assortments of trashy people for sure.

My mom had a boyfriend that would toss empty aluminum cans in the river when we were out on the boat.

One time after changing oil in his truck, instead of disposing of the oil properly, I was told by my dad to just take it and go dump it in the woods by house. So I did. Knew it was wrong, but still did it because I was a little kid. Another time, some oil or something had to be changed in his boat while we were at the dock. Instead of sticking it in a container and disposing of it properly, what does he do? Dumps it right into the river.

The dumbfucks back home always moan about the good old days when there were tons of fish in the bay. Now you can barely catch anything. Well, I remember back in the good old days, back when I was a little kid, the adults catching something well above thirty fish or more. More than you could ever eat in a very long time. All legal. Nothing wrong with eating what you catch. But why keep so many? Why not keep two or three and release the rest? Because you're a dumb redneck, that's why.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

There's trash along most any road you drive. I've always wondered how a person's mind works who thinks something like, "That KFC bag is so [what: toxic, smelly, wet, greasy...] that I can't just wait to get to a trash can, I have to get it out of my truck immediately!" How hard is it to put the bag on the floor and toss it out at the gas station, or when you get home, or into the window of a car with a Trump sticker? Why heave it out the window onto the road?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Stop Trump's attacks on our national monuments

Submit your public comment to the U.S. Department of the Interior
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Another thing about petitions, they can be a quick and easy was for me to alert y'all about issues you may not have heard of. Almost all of them have further info. and links if you want to learn more.
The petition to the U.S. Senate reads:

"The American people have a right to clean water and know if toxic pesticides are contaminating our water supplies. Reject S.340, the so-called 'Sensible Environmental Protection Act of 2017,' otherwise known as the 'Poison Our Waters Act.'"
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

TELL CONGRESS: SAVE OUR ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTIONS!

Donald Trump, corporate polluters and their allies in Congress want to pass a new bill that would make it much harder to enact new environmental protections for our air, water and health. It’s called the “Regulatory Accountability Act” — but it won’t hold anyone accountable for protecting the health and safety of the American people.

Instead, this reckless bill will make it easier for corporate polluters to block new health and safety standards and to dodge responsibility for the environmental damage they cause.

We can’t trust big polluters to police themselves. Tell your senators to protect our environmental safeguards by opposing this dangerous bill.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Email from a friend:
There is a new documentary film about the coal industry entitled "From the Ashes" - I watched it on Wednesday night and it's very good. It premieres on the National Geographic channel this Sunday night at 9:00 Eastern time, it's worth watching.

It covers mountaintop removal and the post-coal economic decline in Lincoln County, West Virginia, the Dan River coal ash spill in North Carolina, the battle over coal export terminals in the northwest, Powder River Basin coal, climate change and the rise of renewables. You can watch the trailer here:

https://www.fromtheashesfilm.com/

There is some excellent new drone footage of mountaintop removal on YouTube, you can watch it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXk7JTnhjwc

This is some of the best footage of MTR I have ever seen - please share it with others
Insurers: We're off the hook, Duke Energy knew coal ash risk

Of course, insurers will do everything they can to duck responsibility, but that doesn't mean that they're always wrong.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:47 am
Email from a friend:
There is a new documentary film about the coal industry entitled "From the Ashes" - I watched it on Wednesday night and it's very good. It premieres on the National Geographic channel this Sunday night at 9:00 Eastern time, it's worth watching.

It covers mountaintop removal and the post-coal economic decline in Lincoln County, West Virginia, the Dan River coal ash spill in North Carolina, the battle over coal export terminals in the northwest, Powder River Basin coal, climate change and the rise of renewables. You can watch the trailer here:

https://www.fromtheashesfilm.com/ ...
It is worth watching. They say, "available for free across a variety of platforms."
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Stop the Nuclear Tax Bailout -- End the “Nuclear Renaissance”

The nuclear industry is trying to ram through another multi-billion-dollar bailout to keep the fantasy/nightmare of nuclear power alive. This time, through Congress. Stopping this bill (HR 1551) could end the so-called “Nuclear Renaissance” once and for all.

Utilities in Georgia and South Carolina are building four new reactors that are all billions of dollars over budget and years behind schedule. The problems were predicted before the utilities broke ground, but the extent of their failure is truly remarkable. The reactors are less than half-way built and have already bankrupted Westinghouse, the largest builder of reactors in the world – proving that nuclear power is a failed technology with no future.

HR 1551 would try to ensure these reactors get built by guaranteeing them $5.2 billion in federal tax breaks that are scheduled to expire in 2020. Because of the massive construction delays in building the reactors, none of them are expected to be online before then.

Please contact your Senators today and tell them to vote "NO" on HR 1551.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:38 pm
This incredible ‘Vertical Forest’ is being built right now in China

Milan, Italy vertical forest, completed in 2014:

That is so cool!
A different and far more ambitious China project:
China's verdant 'forest city' will fight pollution with a million plants

... The development, which will span two-thirds of a mile along the Liujiang River, involves blanketing offices, apartments, hotels, and schools with more than a million plants and about 40,000 trees....
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:50 pm
Vrede too wrote:

That is so cool!

... The development, which will span two-thirds of a mile along the Liujiang River, involves blanketing offices, apartments, hotels, and schools with more than a million plants and about 40,000 trees....
That's a pretty good idea, but there's one glaring problem that you hippies didn't think about. Office worker morale. Can't have those office workers getting all uppity with all that greenery. Might distract them from the oppressiveness of the tried and true office cubicle.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

It'll be easier to hide the bodies of the ones that don't measure up. :shock: :evil:

Also, it will be easier to hide your <ahem> personal "garden". 8-)
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

My cube walls are a beautiful shade of dirt brown, and my office wafts with the calming aroma of stale spit.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:50 pm
Vrede too wrote:

That is so cool!

The Earth just wobbled a bit on its axis, as the wingnut eyes rolled when they saw this.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:56 am
My cube walls are a beautiful shade of dirt brown, and my office wafts with the calming aroma of stale spit.
Poor baby. Wanna hear about the smells at my job?
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:32 pm
JTA wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:56 am
Poor baby. Wanna hear about the smells at my job?
:sick:

Truth.