Tree Hugger Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Wneglia
Midshipman

Re: Tree Hugger Thread

Unread post by Wneglia »

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

◄ 2 Corinthians 11:14 ►
"And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light"

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Vrede wrote:
Received: 8/22/2014
Subject: Rep. Chuck McGrady - Short Session Newsletter

...It shouldn’t have been any great surprise that it took a while to draft coal ash legislation. As I pointed out on the House floor, no other state has a law regulating coal ash, so there was no model legislation. Moreover, it took nearly a century to create all of the coal ash we’ve got buried, and we needed to take the time to do it right...

The bottom line is that Duke Energy can’t create new coal ash ponds and will soon have to stop using the ones it has. It also will have to evaluate all the coal ash ponds and come up with plans for their closure. Those plans will be evaluated by DENR (Department of Environment & Natural Resources) and approved by the CAMC (Coal Ash Management Commission at the Division of Emergency Management of the Department of Public Safety). Coal ash ponds will be cleaned up, with those ponds that threaten water supplies being given the highest priority. The cleanup is going to take years, but that work is going to begin immediately—not because Duke Energy says it will clean them up but because the law requires it...
We'll see, but provisionally :clap: .
Hey, at least it's something!

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede wrote:It seems goofy but ol' Basil clearly knows both his grass and his ethanol.

Basil Marcel interview

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede wrote:"The breeders, especially American ones, are the problem, not gays."
Only until some time in the future when Americans will only consist of "queers and steers" **
(** courtesy Lou Gossett, Jr.---"An Officer and a Gentleman"--1982)

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

That's not the last word, of course.

The Canadian mining company Lone Star Pine sued the Canadian government for $250 million after Quebec banned fracking. They were able to do so under NAFTA’s investor protection clause, using their American subsidiary. (The reasoning is that the investor couldn't have expected changes in regulation when he made his investment, so he is entitled to compensation.)

Lawsuits under investor protection clauses have had a lot of success, which is why lobbyists have gotten them included in the Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement (TPP), the Trans-Atlantic Free Trade Agreement (TAFTA), the Trade in Services Agreement (TISA) and the Canada-EU Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA).

It's not just new environmental regulations. New worker safety regulations or raising the minimum wage will do it too.

Any company doing fracking in New York will be setting up a Canadian subsidiary right now, if they don't have one already.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Hunter who killed Cecil, the famous African lion, identified as Minnesota dentist

The hunter said to have lured a beloved lion named Cecil out of Zimbabwe’s Hwange National Park, to be shot and killed as a trophy, has been identified by authorities as Walter James Palmer, a Minnesota dentist....

Cecil was shot with a crossbow, then stalked for several hours and dispatched with a rifle....
I oppose the death penalty, but I would not necessarily be against enticing Walter James Palmer out with a free meal coupon, then letting a PETA member wound him with a crossbow, pull a few teeth and finish him off several hours later.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Hunter who killed Cecil, the famous African lion, identified as Minnesota dentist

The hunter said to have lured a beloved lion named Cecil out of Zimbabwe’s Hwange National Park, to be shot and killed as a trophy, has been identified by authorities as Walter James Palmer, a Minnesota dentist....

Cecil was shot with a crossbow, then stalked for several hours and dispatched with a rifle....
I oppose the death penalty, but I would not necessarily be against enticing Walter James Palmer out with a free meal coupon, then letting a PETA member wound him with a crossbow, pull a few teeth and finish him off several hours later.
I would volunteer for that project.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Seth Milner »

Vrede too wrote: Hunter who killed Cecil, the famous African lion, identified as Minnesota dentist
I believe if you're going to kill, then eat it. It's amazing how cruel and senseless man has gotten. Odd that this dentist is from the same state as the asshole in the story below.

I saw a program not long ago on PBS where a couple in Ely, Minnesota who were researchers, was posting on facebook about a group of bears they were following and researching. A particular mama bear had gotten to know them pretty well and even allowed herself to be collared with a tracking collar. They named her Dot, and kept facebookers caught up on the bears progress. Bear hunting season was about to arrive, and some senseless jerk posted a picture of a high-powered bullet on facebook and had written Dot's name on it. The couple tried frantically to convince the bear hunters not to shoot Dot and even tied fluorescent ribbons to her collar after being assured by a goodly number of hunters that they would avoid hunting Dot. Nevertheless, Dot was killed and the hunter that killed her posted a photo and mocking taunts on facebook.

In Minnesota, it is not illegal to shoot collared bears unless they're on a preserve.

What have we become?
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

O Really
Admiral

I really hope this guy's life is ruined. I hope his wife, if he has one, leaves him, his patients desert him, his children, if any, never speak to him, and he ends up living in his rusting Lexus. If it were my choice, I'd take him to the edge of the forest, shoot him with an arrow and turn him loose to run from a team of iSIS henchmen who thought he had screwed a blow-up Mohammed doll.

Any sympathy that anyone might have had for him, or who had been willing to give him the benefit of an "opps" excuse should go away knowing he has a felony conviction for bear poaching in Wisconsin.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Jimmy Kimmel chokes up talking about dentist who killed Cecil the lion
After explaining the situation surrounding the animal's murder, Kimmel became somewhat combative against the dentist saying, "The big question is, why are you shooting a lion in the first place?...Is it that difficult for you to get an erection that you need to kill things?" The talk show host went on to note that Palmer has become the "most hated man in America who never advertised Jell-o pudding on television.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jimmy-kimme ... -the-lion/
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:I really hope this guy's life is ruined. I hope his wife, if he has one, leaves him, his patients desert him, his children, if any, never speak to him, and he ends up living in his rusting Lexus. If it were my choice, I'd take him to the edge of the forest, shoot him with an arrow and turn him loose to run from a team of iSIS henchmen who thought he had screwed a blow-up Mohammed doll.

Any sympathy that anyone might have had for him, or who had been willing to give him the benefit of an "opps" excuse should go away knowing he has a felony conviction for bear poaching in Wisconsin.

Looks like his dental practice is already taking a hit. I really can't fathom what sort of motivation this guy has for killing.

http://news.yahoo.com/letter-to-patient ... NlYwNzcg--

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

... the "most hated man in America who never advertised Jell-o pudding on television."
:lol:
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I'd hate him for hunting a lion. But I wouldn't wish him eternity in Hell if he'd gone out to a real jungle, faced some risk, and cleanly killed a lion that had a reasonable chance. But to lure Cecil out of the park, shoot him badly, track him for two days to skin and behead him, and then to not even acknowledge he killed him ("sorry he was 'taken'"). "Taken"? Seriously? I hope he''ll be on the run the rest of his miserable (and hopefully short) life.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Seth Milner wrote:
Vrede too wrote: Hunter who killed Cecil, the famous African lion, identified as Minnesota dentist
I believe if you're going to kill, then eat it. It's amazing how cruel and senseless man has gotten. Odd that this dentist is from the same state as the asshole in the story below.

I saw a program not long ago on PBS where a couple in Ely, Minnesota who were researchers, was posting on facebook about a group of bears they were following and researching. A particular mama bear had gotten to know them pretty well and even allowed herself to be collared with a tracking collar. They named her Dot, and kept facebookers caught up on the bears progress. Bear hunting season was about to arrive, and some senseless jerk posted a picture of a high-powered bullet on facebook and had written Dot's name on it. The couple tried frantically to convince the bear hunters not to shoot Dot and even tied fluorescent ribbons to her collar after being assured by a goodly number of hunters that they would avoid hunting Dot. Nevertheless, Dot was killed and the hunter that killed her posted a photo and mocking taunts on facebook.

In Minnesota, it is not illegal to shoot collared bears unless they're on a preserve.

What have we become?
I'll explain because I grew up closely with these types.

Alright, it's the same thing as the macho dudes that hate gays and obsess over gays. It offends their masculinity. You have macho dudes that have to pretend to be mad at everything deemed feminine, and researchers wanting to keep track of a bear is perceived as feminine because as a man, according to macho men (well, the redneck variety, not the guido variety because they don't hunt) should live by the maxim of "if you can't eat it or fuck it, then kill it!" That's the motto of a macho-man.

Macho men aren't really that cool when it comes down to it and have fragile egos. The truck balls usually mask this though. So that's why they pretend to be extra macho and masculine, even though when it comes down to it they're not getting laid except by some 5 dollar and a corn dog hookers that hang around lil' cricket on Tuesday nights.

That's what happened in this particular story anyway.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Seth Milner »

What's a lil cricket? I heard of lot lizards, but that's a new one.
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Seth Milner wrote:What's a lil cricket? I heard of lot lizards, but that's a new one.
It's the dumpiest looking gas station ever. Even when they build a brand new one it still looks like its 15 years old. It's the kind of gas station you'd build in a shanty town if you wanted it to blend in with the surrounding shacks. Building a lil cricket nearby would still depress home values even in a nigerian shanty town.

Robbing a lil cricket is like a couple losing their virginity. It doesn't become a real lil cricket until its been robbed at least 5 times. They usually get robbed before they even open. It's a rite of passage for all gas station robbers to rob a lil cricket before moving onto bigger things. Just likr before you get it on you usually start by getting a handy, so robbers must start by robbing a lil cricket before moving onto circle k's.

Source: lived within sight of a lil cricket for like 3 years.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Worst of all their snack selection is pretty terrible.

You also can't work there unless youre missing half your teeth from smoking meth. Fact.