Why Other Countries Dread a Republican Presidency

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
rstrong
Captain

Re: Why Other Countries Dread a Republican Presidency

Unread post by rstrong »

Leo Lyons wrote:Courteous question: rstrong's old lady? been divorced 20+ years? How did that come about? With everything being perfect in Canada, who'd a'thunk Canada allowed divorces!!!
Nope, I'm not divorced.

(But I have a 10am appointment tomorrow to sign the papers.)

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

rstrong wrote:
Leo Lyons wrote:Courteous question: rstrong's old lady? been divorced 20+ years? How did that come about? With everything being perfect in Canada, who'd a'thunk Canada allowed divorces!!!
Nope, I'm not divorced. (But I have a 10am appointment tomorrow to sign the papers.)
Think you're going to be cock-of-the-walk again, huh?

I hope that doesn't mean you're moving here. :!: :!:

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Leo Lyons wrote:Think you're going to be cock-of-the-walk again, huh?
There was a time when women couldn't keep their hands off me.

Granted, that was the time I made a tuxedo from bubble wrap.
Leo Lyons wrote:I hope that doesn't mean you're moving here. :!: :!:
Nope; I've promised the company that I'll never step away from the computer again.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

rstrong wrote: There was a time when women couldn't keep their hands off me. Granted, that was the time I made a tuxedo from bubble wrap.
Oh god! Next you're going to tell me they popped on you all night. You'll find that times have changed.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

rstrong wrote:The apocalyptic words, "Ambassador Palin."
Vrede too wrote:If Trump becomes our POTUS, I hope it's Ambassador to Canada just so we have something, anything to throw back at rstrong during his 4 years of razzing us.
rstrong wrote:Which is when the REAL horrifying long-term consequences of 2012 and 2016 appear for us folks outside the US: "Ambassador Trump", "Ambassador Palin", "Ambassador Carson"...
rstrong wrote:Here in Canada we're just happy that we won't be assigned Ambassador Palin.
"It's a perplexing time for many of us right now."
- Sarah Palin, interviewed after Obama was declared the winner
You bet'cha.
Toronto Star: Sarah Palin for ambassador to Canada?
Social media explodes amid rumours that former U.S. vice-presidential candidate could be headed to Ottawa.

:shock:

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

rstrong wrote: Toronto Star: Sarah Palin for ambassador to Canada?
Social media explodes amid rumours that former U.S. vice-presidential candidate could be headed to Ottawa.

:shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I love it!

Not.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

The good news is, this may stop the flood of refugees heading for Canada.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

rstrong wrote:"The good news is, this may stop the flood of refugees heading for Canada."
:lol: Only the rich and entitled. I'm certain the "tired and the poor" would still be welcome.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Mr.B wrote:
rstrong wrote:"The good news is, this may stop the flood of refugees heading for Canada."
:lol: Only the rich and entitled. I'm certain the "tired and the poor" would still be welcome.

they damn sure helped us out in the 60s
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:If Trump becomes our POTUS (1), I hope it's Ambassador (Palin) to Canada (2) just so we have something, anything to throw back at rstrong during his 4 years of razzing us.
Jan 21, 2016. Sometimes, I hate how accurate my pessimism is.
... “#sarahpalin touted to become US Ambassador to Canada,” bar owner Mike Slankard wrote. “Stop laughing, little known fact - she speaks almost fluent Canadian.”

... Palin reportedly loves moose stew, admires hockey moms and is happy on a snowmobile, but that didn’t impress the tweeters....

“Sarah Palin as ambassador?” New Democrat MP Charlie Angus tweeted. “Well that would show how little Steve Bannon and his pal @realDonaldTrump think of Canada.”

And how little they think of Sarah Palin. :P

John Clarke of Toronto was also dismayed: “I know #Trump is cruel and heartless but making #SarahPalin #US #Ambassador to #Canada would be going too far.”

... One Canadian tweeted: “Dear Mr. Trump: Rather than appoint Sarah Palin as ambassador to Canada, please bomb us. Signed, all intelligent life in Canada.”

Fredericton physiotherapist Rob Willcott added: “Sarah Palin is being considered for job as ambassador to Canada. She’s presently on a flight to Europe to meet with us.”

Tweeter Bruce Fanjoy suggested that her reported lack of geographic knowledge could be turned against her: “If #sarahpalin is appointed ambassador to #Canada I suggest we tell her that #Oshawa is the capital.”

Ontario hater?

... Another tweeter referenced Tina Fey’s impersonations of Palin on Saturday Night Live: “Couldn’t they just send Tina Fey to Canada as ambassador? I mean #sarahpalin is equally hilarious but Fey is intentional about it.”

No, we keep contributory Americans.
... “Canada starts building wall,” English medical doctor Mark Cheesman ‏tweeted.

Sometimes, I hate how inaccurate O Really's pessimism is. ;)
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

I suppose we brought this on ourselves. Donald Trump is our fault.

Canada: Our crazy immature right-wing populist Toronto mayor Rob Ford's antics have all the press talking about him non-stop. Even the Daily Show can't get enough of him.

America: A mayor?

America: Hold my beer....

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

The Globe & Mail: Sarah Palin won’t be named U.S. ambassador to Canada: official

Dodged a bullet.
And when she endorsed Mr. Trump for the presidency last year, she delivered a disjointed, often rhyming speech that verged on slam poetry.
[...]
American officials have not yet made a decision on an ambassador but were leaning to appointing someone who raised money for the Trump campaign.
[...]
It’s often a tradition for American presidents to name envoys as a political reward. The last two ambassadors to Canada, David Jacobson and Bruce Heyman, had raised millions of dollars for Barack Obama.
[...]
The official did not think that New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is in the running for ambassador to Canada. His name has been speculated as a possible envoy.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

rstrong wrote:The Globe & Mail: Sarah Palin won’t be named U.S. ambassador to Canada: official

Dodged a bullet.
And when she endorsed Mr. Trump for the presidency last year, she delivered a disjointed, often rhyming speech that verged on slam poetry.
[...]
American officials have not yet made a decision on an ambassador but were leaning to appointing someone who raised money for the Trump campaign.
[...]
It’s often a tradition for American presidents to name envoys as a political reward. The last two ambassadors to Canada, David Jacobson and Bruce Heyman, had raised millions of dollars for Barack Obama.
[...]
The official did not think that New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is in the running for ambassador to Canada. His name has been speculated as a possible envoy.
Based on the pattern of his cabinet nominees, I'm guessing he'll pick Eric Cartman.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Don't be sad, there's always:
Ivanka Trump Looked Thirsty AF While Glancing At Justin Trudeau
And the internet took notice.

Look out Jared, Ivanka's eyeing Justin Trudeau ...
Relationship goals: find a woman who looks at you the way Ivanka Trump looks at Justin Trudeau.
Ivanka looking like she's willing to risk it all.
Lmaooooooo Ivanka Trump looking at Justin Trudeau is me like yup, me too gurl. Me too.
No one is safe from PM Steal Yo Girl!

ImageImageImage
Ivanka you need to stop.

“Oh! Hi, Justin! Sure you can sit next to me because my husband, Justin, I mean, Jared, won’t be attending, Justin.”

” … Ivanka Trudeau, Ivanka Trump-Trudeau, Mrs. Trudeau … “

“Ugh, I’d tap that like a maple tree.”

”Yeah, speak French to me.”

“OK, time for a cold shower.”
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Thanks to Brexit, Britain suddenly needs to negotiate a whole lot of new trade deals. But for decades it's relied on the EU to negotiate trade deals, and those folks will be on the opposite of the table.

Canada has recently negotiated CETA, the TPP, WTO deals and a dozen other free trade deals. So experienced Canadian trade negotiators have set up class in Britain to teach their inexperienced counterparts.

I just hope the lessons end with "But the rules are different for negotiating with the Trump administration. Here's some photos (above) of how we're renegotiating NAFTA. Now you try."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Fail.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

We're having a bit of a crisis on the border here in Manitoba:

Feb 06: 22 refugees entered Manitoba near Emerson border over the weekend

Feb 11: 21 asylum seekers crossed into Manitoba Saturday

This is just around Emerson, so they're straining the resources there. Many are risking their lives to get to Canada:

Frostbitten refugee will lose fingers, toe after 7-hour trek to cross U.S.-Canada border

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

"...walking through open farmers' fields to pass through the border..." :o Seriously? We got a major wall-less problem here. No wall? How did Trump miss this? If they can leave, couldn't those pesky Canadians send them back? Or worse still, couldn't some of those Fran-quah terrorists sneak over. To the barricades!

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

The border here has always been a bit more laid back.

It only ever got surveyed because of the Pembina Raid. (By the Fenians - terrorists coming across the border from the US.) In 1871 about 35 men captured a Hudson's Bay Company post and a Canadian customs house which they believed to be just north of the international border. A survey team quickly determined the border was two miles further north, and the American police were called on to deal with it.

Near Pembina is the Piney Creek airport, with a runway that extends north across the border into Canada. Before the US officially entered World War II, it was used to surreptitiously transfer US-built aircraft to Britain via Canada. In the interest of maintaining neutrality the US military pilots were forbidden to deliver combat aircraft to Canada. So instead, the aircraft were flown to the US-Canadian border. At night they were towed over the border by either tractors or horses. The next day the planes would be crewed by RCAF pilots and ferried to the Atlantic.