Weather in NC

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Weather in NC

Unread post by Seth Milner »

billy.pilgrim wrote:Fell asleep last night remembering stories my X's grandparents told about the lake okeechobee hurricane that emptied the lake. Wiki confirms the story that 2,500 people drowned, but doesn't tell it quite the way they did.

When the water was pushed out of the lake to the south, the bottom of the empty lake was covered with fish.
The locals, equipped with everything from buckets to horse drawn wagons ventured out into the dry lake bed to collect fish.
About half of the 2,500 dead were drowned when the lake refilled faster than they could get out.

I loved their frontier stories. Both sets of the great grandparents came to Florida in the mid to late 1800s in wagons along the beach. I forget which, but one family increased the population of Ft. Pierce to 37.

Another florida book for seth - River of Grass. The science is 1940s, but the history is unbelievable, like the barefoot mailman who walked his route from St. Augustine to Miami along the beach.
I had heard that story about Lake Okeechobee many years ago, but had forgotten about it! Thanks for the refresher; I'll look it up along with that book. Thanks again! :thumbsup:
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

I read the book in my 20s. my how the mind do exaggerate.

wiki says, A Star route to carry mail between Lake Worth and Biscayne Bay was established in 1885. The route involved a round trip of 136 miles from Palm Beach to Miami and back, and took six days. The carrier would leave Palm Beach on Monday morning, traveling by boat to the southern end of the Lake Worth Lagoon. He would then cross over to the beach and walk down to the Orange Grove House of Refuge in what is now Delray Beach, where he would spend the night. The next day (Tuesday) he would continue walking down the beach to the Fort Lauderdale House of Refuge, where he would spend that night. On Wednesday the carrier traveled by boat down the New River to its inlet, and then would walk down the beach to Baker's Haulover at the north end of Biscayne Bay. Finally, he would travel down Biscayne Bay by boat to Miami. On Thursday he would start the return trip, arriving in Palm Beach on Saturday.[3] By an alternate account, the route to Miami originally started from Jupiter, but was shortened in 1887, when a new Star route was established from Jupiter to Hypoluxo (south of Palm Beach), with the shortened route running from Hypoluxo to Miami for the rest of its existence.[4]
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

So it took about the same time for a first class letter from Palm Beach to Miami then as it does now? Actually, I don't know how long that takes, but I do know that on at least two occasions, it's been over 5 days from Naples to Jax. And given that Asheville first class goes to Greenville and parcels go by way of Greensboro, I'm thinking the ol' barefoot postal carrier was probably quicker.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

From the "2016 Elections" thread:
O Really wrote:Cape Breton is one of the most beautiful places in the world. One of my frat brothers was a professor at Cape Breton University for about 30 years. I've visited a couple of times and wouldn't hesitate a minute to live there, despite being a hard core warm weather guy. Just a little further to roll the O Really winter residence.
I've a friend who owns lakefront property on Flathead Lake near Kalispell, MT, that I have visited a few times. In the summer months, the weather is absolutely gorgeous; the lake water is crystal clear and cold as hell. I have found myself thinking that this must be what paradise looks like what with all the wildlife sightings and great fishing, exploring the islands that rise up out of the middle of the lake. . . . Then reality slaps the pure crap out of me when I realize that I swore I'd never go back there again in the winter! The lake is completely frozen over; the ice thick enough to drive a car on; the wind is blowing so hard and cold . . . . I think you get the picture. Yep, I'm definitely a warm weather kind of guy!
Last edited by Seth Milner on Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Is there a way to delete a post?
Last edited by billy.pilgrim on Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:So it took about the same time for a first class letter from Palm Beach to Miami then as it does now? Actually, I don't know how long that takes, but I do know that on at least two occasions, it's been over 5 days from Naples to Jax. And given that Asheville first class goes to Greenville and parcels go by way of Greensboro, I'm thinking the ol' barefoot postal carrier was probably quicker.

and zero jet fuel

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

billy.pilgrim wrote:
O Really wrote:So it took about the same time for a first class letter from Palm Beach to Miami then as it does now? Actually, I don't know how long that takes, but I do know that on at least two occasions, it's been over 5 days from Naples to Jax. And given that Asheville first class goes to Greenville and parcels go by way of Greensboro, I'm thinking the ol' barefoot postal carrier was probably quicker.
and zero jet fuel
I believe beans were a staple food in those days.

O Really
Admiral

I'm not a postal service basher. I think generally they've done a really good job with what they are required to do. Their mission is totally obsolete, though, and nobody could make a profit at it. Having to go by everybody's address 6 days a week is ridiculous now that so much former first class is now electronic. But it's not the postal service's fault they still have to do that. Hardly anything that goes US Mail is time critical, but sending mail ass around the elbow is just not good logistics.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:Is there a way to delete a post?
Not once someone has made a new post in the thread. If someone hasn't referred to or replied to my post I just edit it to say, "Never mind."
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:I'm not a postal service basher. I think generally they've done a really good job with what they are required to do. Their mission is totally obsolete, though, and nobody could make a profit at it. Having to go by everybody's address 6 days a week is ridiculous now that so much former first class is now electronic. But it's not the postal service's fault they still have to do that. Hardly anything that goes US Mail is time critical, but sending mail ass around the elbow is just not good logistics.
I like the competition between public and private, but that could be be accomplished while still accepting the reality that email has taken most of their business.
Why not cut back as employees retire.
First cut Saturday delivery
Then to 2 or 3 days per week.
I really can't think of anything that comes in regular mail that I have to have sooner

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Heard about this several months ago, but haven't seen where yet. It is a big secret.

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
O Really wrote:I'm not a postal service basher. I think generally they've done a really good job with what they are required to do. Their mission is totally obsolete, though, and nobody could make a profit at it. Having to go by everybody's address 6 days a week is ridiculous now that so much former first class is now electronic. But it's not the postal service's fault they still have to do that. Hardly anything that goes US Mail is time critical, but sending mail ass around the elbow is just not good logistics.
I like the competition between public and private, but that could be be accomplished while still accepting the reality that email has taken most of their business.
Why not cut back as employees retire.
First cut Saturday delivery
Then to 2 or 3 days per week.
I really can't think of anything that comes in regular mail that I have to have sooner
Those are good ideas, but there really is no competition because of the different customer base and operating process. FedEx and UPS has customers who have packages they want to send or want sent to them. On days where they don't use the service, the companies can ignore you. Even though they have standard pick-up points, those are set up at places where there is sufficient business to make it worth the trip. The postal service process, however, is to run routes every day without regard to actual usage. If you've never gotten any mail in a year, they'll still drive by your house and, on the off chance you raise your flag, will pick up your letter. That's nutz.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

billy.pilgrim wrote:Is there a way to delete a post?
I think it depends on the length of time. It'll let you delete a post up to a couple days or something. Keeps the wingnuts from recanting statements. I might be wrong, it's been a while since I've changed or looked at that.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:http://www.okefenokee.com/info/

no significant damage from year long fire.

On fire again

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/2017/Despi ... 19bc96dc1a

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

AGW's new normal.

I'm glad I went last year. Might have had to cancel this year and many of the canoe trails will be closed by fallen trees for a year or more.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Didn't see a florida weather thread

Damn I do love a tropical storm. Just siitting on the wet porch in a wet wind and loving it.

Suppose to stop raining on friday with 8 to 10 inches expected.

O Really
Admiral

I enjoy a good storm, too. As long as it's not enough to have to put up storm covers on the windows and bring in the yard furniture.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:50 pm
I enjoy a good storm, too. As long as it's not enough to have to put up storm covers on the windows and bring in the yard furniture.
That part and raking up knee deep small branches sucks.

We were without power for 12 days after Erin. My wife was over 8 months pregnant. Enough said about that.

O Really
Admiral

I've been lucky. Close calls, but never lost power more than a day. Dropped tree limbs, but not causing house damage. Some deep water in the street, but not in the house. Can't complain.