Weather in NC

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Weather in NC

Unread post by Vrede too »

rstrong wrote:
Vrede too wrote:Similarly, c'mon, would you really feel that comfortable shouting "Tea Bag" in your neighborhood, in a gay district or at a Ted Cruz rally? :o
In my neighborhood? Why not? At a Ted Cruz rally I'd explain the Tea Party connection,

You would explain that the Tea Party connection is to intentionally associate its members with the sexual act of a man placing his scrotum in the mouth of a willing sexual partner for pleasure? Will you be surprised if they are offended and how do you predict that will work out for you?

and the beverage. (While avoiding mentioning that the original Boston Tea Party protested the *lowering* of taxes.)
You skipped "in a gay district".
O Really wrote:
Vrede too wrote: I would not name my black dog "Coon"...
Even if he's a Black and Tan Coonhound?
Would you if you worked with or socialized with blacks?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
O Really wrote:
Vrede too wrote: I would not name my black dog "Coon"...
Even if he's a Black and Tan Coonhound?
Would you if you worked with or socialized with blacks?
Well, I wouldn't want to dodge the point of the question, but I don't use the term "coon" even in regard to a raccoon. Not because it has in some contexts been used as derogatory to black people, but because it's part of a lower literacy rural lexicon that isn't me. Same reason I don't use y'uns or y'ous. Having said that, no, I really wouldn't hesitate to name a B/T Coonhound "Coon" and introduce him to my black friends/associates. Maybe even if the dog were a Huskie with a mask. Probably wouldn't give the name to a pit bull, though.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Seth Milner wrote:Image

"The Spook", mascot of the McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II fighter jet

According to Vrede too, military personnel wearing a uniform with this emblem in public view is a racist.
If I were a black mage from final fantasy I'd be pretty offended at that inconsiderate caraciture.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:D

Crybaby Seth Milner fails English, again.
Vrede too wrote:... I don't care if anyone else uses the word when unmistakably referencing one of the other definitions. Using it as a proper name and for a Black Lab is different....
Last edited by Vrede too on Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote::D

Crybaby Seth Milner fails English, again.
Vrede too wrote:... I don't care if anyone else uses the word when unmistakably referencing one of the other definitions. Using it as a proper name and for a Black Lab is different....
Coloured lab
Black lab
African-American Lab
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Besides Seth Milner's whiny and dishonest muddling of what I've posted, referencing a nickname from the 1960s is a stupid attempt at self-justification. Lots has changed, including with race relations, since then.
1312. ETTD.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Seth Milner »

Vrede too wrote: Crybaby Seth Milner . . .
:yawn: Yeah, we know who the crybaby is; that would be the one who continually attempts to keep face despite being debunked by his friends for his stupid remarks. :thumbup: Grow up, Vrede too, grow up; it'll be the best thing ever to happen to you.
Vrede too wrote:Besides Seth Milner's whiny and dishonest muddling of what I've posted, referencing a nickname from the 1960s is a stupid attempt at self-justification. Lots has changed, including with race relations, since then.
Despite Vrede too's whiny,dishonest, and narcissistic muddling of what I've posted, referencing a nickname from the 1960s is a stupid attempt at accusing someone of being racist. Lots has changed, including race relations, since then.

BTW. are you going to harp and harp on this forever? It's a dead horse already, grow up and move on.
Last edited by Seth Milner on Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

O Really, try this link when you post photos: http://www.resize-photos.com
Use it in the same manner as you would if you were pasting in an avatar. The picture of the Phantom Spook originally posted as large as your raccoon. :thumbup:

O Really
Admiral

Seth Milner wrote:O Really, try this link when you post photos: http://www.resize-photos.com
Use it in the same manner as you would if you were pasting in an avatar. The picture of the Phantom Spook originally posted as large as your raccoon. :thumbup:
Yeah, thanks. I know how to re-size, I was just a bit lazy. It's not even posted, really, it's just linked. But they were cute animals, weren't they? Mr. Coon and Mr. Coon.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

O Really wrote: But they were cute animals, weren't they? Mr. Coon and Mr. Coon.
Uh-oh . . . I see it coming, prepare yourself for a stupid attempt from someone accusing someone of being racist." :wtf:
Somebody that we all know and love might accuse you of speaking of our nation's leader.

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Seth Milner wrote:
O Really wrote:Not that anybody crawling through snowbanks cares, but rainfall in south Florida has been 12.25 inches so far in January. Average for January is just under 2 inches. Average for July, the peak of "rainy" season is 10 inches. Glub, glub, glub. But at least it's not frozen.
I'm surprised, with all that water, that Florida still has surface terra firma! (BTW . . . I care, I really do.)

the sand really soaks it up. You can leave a garden hose wide open - an hour later there may be a wet spot 4 feet across
Well, sorta... http://www.abc-7.com/story/31071083/pho ... uary-27-28

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

O Really wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote: the sand really soaks it up. You can leave a garden hose wide open - an hour later there may be a wet spot 4 feet across
Well, sorta... http://www.abc-7.com/story/31071083/pho ... uary-27-28
The Doom & Gloomers have been saying for years that South Florida is like a gigantic sponge, and that one day the land will be unable to soak up any more water because of rising water levels worldwide. Maybe, maybe not, but when you see pictures like this, it makes you think that they may be on to something......serious.

O Really
Admiral

To Billy's point, though, it was a mess, and some places were flooded. Overall, most everything was drained/soaked, whatever by the next day. Maybe not the particular trailer park shown in the pic. That was a trailer park that they're trying to convert to an "RV Resort". Didn't do anything about the lot slopes or drainage though, and ended up with some really unhappy campers.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:To Billy's point, though, it was a mess, and some places were flooded. Overall, most everything was drained/soaked, whatever by the next day. Maybe not the particular trailer park shown in the pic. That was a trailer park that they're trying to convert to an "RV Resort". Didn't do anything about the lot slopes or drainage though, and ended up with some really unhappy campers.
We have had one flooding situation in pensacola that didn't soak in by the next day. They said it was a 500 year event and I did have a puddle in my yard. It rained 29 inches in 24 hours. At one point they recorded just over 10 inches in one hour.

29 inches is a lot of rain.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
O Really wrote:To Billy's point, though, it was a mess, and some places were flooded. Overall, most everything was drained/soaked, whatever by the next day. Maybe not the particular trailer park shown in the pic. That was a trailer park that they're trying to convert to an "RV Resort". Didn't do anything about the lot slopes or drainage though, and ended up with some really unhappy campers.
We have had one flooding situation in pensacola that didn't soak in by the next day. They said it was a 500 year event and I did have a puddle in my yard. It rained 29 inches in 24 hours. At one point they recorded just over 10 inches in one hour.

29 inches is a lot of rain.
29 inches in 24 hours sounds a lot like an urban legend. But holy shit, it's real... http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/deadly ... ida-n93201

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

O Really wrote:
Seth Milner wrote:O Really, try this link when you post photos: http://www.resize-photos.com
Yeah, thanks. I know how to re-size, I was just a bit lazy. It's not even posted, really, it's just linked. But they were cute animals, weren't they? Mr. Coon and Mr. Coon.
One drawback on resizing: The pictures crumble and disappear. . . Ø imag :cussing:

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

O Really wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:29 inches is a lot of rain.
29 inches in 24 hours sounds a lot like an urban legend. But holy shit, it's real... http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/deadly ... ida-n93201
I foresee a rise in the number of sinkholes in suburbia.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Seth Milner wrote:
O Really wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:29 inches is a lot of rain.
I foresee a rise in the number of sinkholes in suburbia.
I almost looked for a link before I posted because it does seem like something made up.
Lots of extreme erosion in the few hilly areas, a few roads washed out, but very little damage otherwise. We mostly dried out in a couple of days.
The most amazing part was the 10 inches in one hour.
Gulf Breeze got the worst. It is at the tip of a peninsula with the highest elevation along the waterfront - in other words - a bowl. It filled to about 3 feet and took 2 weeks to pump out, but the cops did get to ride around in their armored hummer.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

We do get some rain. Most years we have a 10 or 12 inch spring rainstorm, sometimes a little more. Every now and then amazing amounts like the 29 inches.

Then there are the hurricanes.

As Georges moved slowly through the northern Gulf Coast, it produced torrential rainfall amounting to a maximum of 38 inches (960 mm) in Munson, with other locations reporting over 20 inches (510 mm).
Munson is just north of me.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Going 4 days canoeing in Okefenokee this April, may have a couple of days to kick around on either side of the trip. Ideas in N. FL or S. GA? Not necessarily canoeing, though maybe. I looked up Cape San Blas, FL - 4.5 hours driving to get there may not be worth it this time.
1312. ETTD.