Weather in NC

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Weather in NC

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:Going 4 days canoeing in Okefenokee this April, may have a couple of days to kick around on either side of the trip. Ideas in N. FL or S. GA? Not necessarily canoeing, though maybe. I looked up Cape San Blas, FL - 4.5 hours driving to get there may not be worth it this time.
You could float the Ichetucknee - a bit touristy but fun. But I'd highly recommend taking your boat on the Silver River out of Silver Springs State Park in Ocala. Beautiful clear river, and you can pull in along the way and watch the wild population of monkeys. It's not a remote type river though, but after a couple of days in Okefenokee you might have enjoyed all the remote you can stand. Lady O Really and I were out in Okefenokee one day and wandered up a tributary until we were seeing alligators longer than our 12-foot 'yaks. Good time to turn around. Also, in the spring, the 'gators are wandering all over the place with their little ones. If you're taking your bike, one of the best rail/trails is the Hawthorne, starting in Gainesville and going across Paines Prarie. Any of the state parks have pretty walks, but there aren't many places that would be called a real hike, though.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:Going 4 days canoeing in Okefenokee this April, may have a couple of days to kick around on either side of the trip. Ideas in N. FL or S. GA? Not necessarily canoeing, though maybe. I looked up Cape San Blas, FL - 4.5 hours driving to get there may not be worth it this time.
I remember Okefenokee burning all one summer - 2012 I think

https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Wakulla-Springs

Not as far as san blas

http://www.visitwakulla.com/Things-to-D ... State-Park

Don't forget, if you are in the Medart/Paneca area - the best soft shell crab anywhere - Huttons

Also the drive along 98 to carabelle is one of the most scenic in fla
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

http://www.okefenokee.com/info/

no significant damage from year long fire.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Where are you going in to Okefenokee?
http://www.okefenokee.com/info/info/

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Thanks guys.
IS THERE ANY PART OF THE SWAMP THAT APPEARS THE WAY IT DID BEFORE THE FIRES?

Many places, and a good bit of it is on the east side of the swamp. Some sections of waterway burned pretty hot and opened up dramatically. While other sections of the eastern waterways were untouched and look as green and lush and never touched by fire as ever.
We'll be on the east side.

Every time I see a big gator I'm gonna shout, "O Really?!"
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:Where are you going in to Okefenokee?
http://www.okefenokee.com/info/info/
Suwannee Canal Recreation Area (MAIN Entrance, East), probably 3 1/2 days on the water, 2 nights wilderness camping, 3 nights car camping.

Swamp Map

If y'all ever want to do wilderness camping there, you call at 7 a.m. exactly 2 months before your trip, keep dialing for 40 minutes before you get through, then luck out getting sites that are all booked up before 10 a.m. Didn't get my 1st choice, but did well - Likely day trip to Mizell Prairie (6 miles round trip) the 1st day, overnight at Monkey Lake (8 miles), Canal Run (13 miles), then 10 miles back out.

The loop out of Kingfisher looks great if the water's high enough SE of Bluff Lake, but there's a 2-night limit in March and April.
Last edited by Vrede too on Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote: We'll be on the east side.
OK, nevermind what I said before. It's too far. You'll want to take the A1A drive up from north of Jax past the Talbots on up to Amelia Island and Fernandina Beach. Really pretty drive, lots of beach, good food and drink.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ocala's only 2.25 hours, feasible.
Say we were to do just 1 Atlantic Coast place - Fernandina, Cumberland Island, Talbots?
Best nearish Gulf Coast place?
Last edited by Vrede too on Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:Ocala's only 2.25 hours, feasible.
Say we were to do just 1 Atlantic Coast place - Fernandina, Cumberland Island, Talbots?
I've been wanting to camp on Cumberland island. Let me know how it is!
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:Ocala's only 2.25 hours, feasible.
Best nearish Gulf Coast place?

Check out American Beach - north of Jacksonville

Check out the Paneca to carabelle area

or the St. Marks area - closer

Or Aligator point

O Really
Admiral

Talbots, Fernandina, and American are all one trip. Depending on traffic, it's less than an hour from Jax all the way to Fernandina. I haven't been to American in years, but it used to be largely populated by people who don't need to work on their tans.

Whether you're a rider or not, you'd enjoy the beach ride from Seahorse Ranch .. http://www.kellyranchinc.net/
It's been there for 40 years or so, although with different owners, and provides a really good ride along the beach.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Doesn't all have to be outdoorsy, though it may be. Any city stuff in the region y'all like?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:Doesn't all have to be outdoorsy, though it may be. Any city stuff in the region y'all like?
St. Augustine.
Touristy and can be crowded, but hey - it's Florida. Old city (oldest in US) is interesting, along with the Fort. At least it's real, about the only thing left in Florida that's real history and not plastic. Don't miss the Conch House http://conch-house.com/ sit out on the deck by the water, drink margaritas, eat seafood. What else could one ask of a vacation - or life itself? Jax is more of a business town, but there's decent night life out at the beaches. It's not South Beach, but then nothing else is South Beach, either. ;) Golf Mecca around there, if you play.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

I'll bet they don't allow tundra buggys on the beach like they do here in Manitoba.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Seth Milner »

Some drastic changes in plans for now, but I'm still set on Florida, but probably not where I originally planned. From all your posts, I'm thinking of scouting around before I plant any roots; I enjoy getting out and exploring; will have plenty of time for that. Who knows? Might even cross paths with any one of you fellow wusses from here; we'll definitely have to get together & pop a top on a few if we do! :thumbup:
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Before settling on a beach in Churchill, read up on polar bears.

Also, settlements along the beach were attacked and burned by the American side during the revolutionary war. There's still no defenses against it happening again.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Seth Milner »

rstrong wrote:Before settling on a beach in Churchill, read up on polar bears.

Also, settlements along the beach were attacked and burned by the American side during the revolutionary war. There's still no defenses against it happening again.
I already know about Churchill; you don't walk the streets at night (or much in the day for that matter)
I have no plans for anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon Line; or anywhere that can be deemed to be north of anywhere!
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Seth Milner wrote:I have no plans for anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon Line;
So not ruling out San Francisco. Very progressive of you!

O Really
Admiral

No tundra buggies, but beach driving is still allowed south of St. Augustine and parts of Volusia County (Daytona). Or at least crawling along in traffic on the sand.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Vrede too wrote:Doesn't all have to be outdoorsy, though it may be. Any city stuff in the region y'all like?
St. Augustine.
Touristy and can be crowded, but hey - it's Florida. Old city (oldest in US) is interesting, along with the Fort. At least it's real, about the only thing left in Florida that's real history and not plastic. Don't miss the Conch House http://conch-house.com/ sit out on the deck by the water, drink margaritas, eat seafood. What else could one ask of a vacation - or life itself? Jax is more of a business town, but there's decent night life out at the beaches. It's not South Beach, but then nothing else is South Beach, either. ;) Golf Mecca around there, if you play.

Oldest continuous