Weather in NC

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Weather in NC

Unread post by Vrede too »

JTA wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:55 pm
Was thinking about headed up to WNC for a hike tomorrow. Is this a bad idea? Thought it'd be pretty rad to hike in the snow at Pisgah.
Still snowing, 7+ inches, will only reach 40 degrees in Hooterville tomorrow, will barely top freezing at elevation. You MIGHT be okay if you pick a trailhead by a major road. The secondary roads will be slick or not even plowed yet, and the primary roads may be slick. They have not plowed the very urban secondary road outside my office window.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Oh yeah I was gonna park at the fish hatchery in Pisgah. Seems like it might be a no go.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:14 pm
Sometime Lefty wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:01 pm
Billy has snow in his forecast. We in Gainesville just freeze warnings. Damn my wife hasn't seen snow yet.
It may snow in Pensacola, but doubtful along the coast where I am. Here it's just freezing rain.

The good news is that the bridges are expected to freeze over and caution dictates that the 3.5 mile bay bridge between me and trump will encourage me not to make a scene.
So much for the saying, "It will be a cold day in Florida before billy.pilgrim goes to a President* Trump rally." :D
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

JTA wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:10 pm
Oh yeah I was gonna park at the fish hatchery in Pisgah. Seems like it might be a no go.

It's a no go. Maybe Sunday.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:17 pm
JTA wrote:

It's a no go. Maybe Sunday.
Truth.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

God works in mysterious ways.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

Vrede too wrote:
JTA wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:55 pm
Was thinking about headed up to WNC for a hike tomorrow. Is this a bad idea? Thought it'd be pretty rad to hike in the snow at Pisgah.
Still snowing, 7+ inches, will only reach 40 degrees in Hooterville tomorrow, will barely top freezing at elevation. You MIGHT be okay if you pick a trailhead by a major road. The secondary roads will be slick or not even plowed yet, and the primary roads may be slick. They have not plowed the very urban secondary road outside my office window.
Weather reports say you guys got walloped with a forecasted 1/2 to 1 inch of snow, with some areas getting over a foot. Bad weatherman!
We got maybe 4" yesterday, but it's cold as hell this morning and it's all frozen. It's never a good idea to plan a hike in the snow; unless you absolutely have to get out in it to do routine chores. I'm going home in a few days to where snow forecasts are more spot-on.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Leo Lyons wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:23 am
... We got maybe 4" yesterday ...
Roughly where are you that you didn't get more?
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:28 am
Leo Lyons wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:23 am
... We got maybe 4" yesterday ...
Roughly where are you that you didn't get more?
Some of my keys are sticking or not typing. That's a typo, should have been 14".
I haven't done an exact measurement since I measured that reading; I didn't want to go back outside!
I'm in Orange County, NY where some areas got less, some got more. Up to 24" was eventually forecast.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

I couldn't shrink it down!

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Minnesota is flat. Minnesota drivers have a challenge if you send them into mountain snow/ice. You can walk all over Minneapolis in the Skyway and never have to deal with icy hilly sidewalks. Minnesota is really beautiful in the summer if you don't mind 40 different species of mosquitos.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:40 pm
Minnesota is flat. Minnesota drivers have a challenge if you send them into mountain snow/ice. You can walk all over Minneapolis in the Skyway and never have to deal with icy hilly sidewalks. Minnesota is really beautiful in the summer if you don't mind 40 different species of mosquitos.
Pretty much the same in Montana; except the pests are mostly flies.
Eastern MT is rolling countryside with many flat spots. Even in flat country, DOT has provided pullovers to install or remove tire chains.

O Really
Admiral

Gotta be absolutely miserable to have to get out of your truck in a howling wind and blowing snow/ice and put on tire chains.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:15 pm
Gotta be absolutely miserable to have to get out of your truck in a howling wind and blowing snow/ice and put on tire chains.
It is! Usually though, you don't go out during the brunt of the storm. If you do have to go out, you put on your chains before you hit the road. An experienced person can have chains put on in 5-10 minutes or less. It's not as bad as it sounds.

O Really
Admiral

Through a combination of intent and fortune, I haven't put on chains in decades. Seems like it used to be harder than that, though. Where I was when I saw the chain pull-outs was on I-90. Just hypothesizing, but I'd guess that you'd have to be out already, get caught in heavy snow, and can't get to an exit in order to have to put on chains out there. But if I remember, it looked like putting on chains was a requirement for the big trucks.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:55 am
Through a combination of intent and fortune, I haven't put on chains in decades. Seems like it used to be harder than that, though.

More radial tires these days, the radial chains are easy. Plus, standard chains have been made easier.

Where I was when I saw the chain pull-outs was on I-90. Just hypothesizing, but I'd guess that you'd have to be out already, get caught in heavy snow, and can't get to an exit in order to have to put on chains out there....

The Montana exits often aren't plowed, or at least not well enough to put on chains easily and safely. Hence, the pullouts right on the highway. They're often before passes, or in LL's case before drift zones or gorges, since much of the road may not require chains.
It's more miserable to have to get out of your truck that's stuck in a ditch and walk to town or a farmhouse in a howling wind and blowing snow/ice because you didn't put on tire chains.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

My vw never needed chains, but it was always a cold ride. I did miss my interstate exit once because the ice accumulation around the front wheels prevented me from turning - suprise, suprise. After that, I learned to weave around a little
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

How fast can you drive with chains on your tires?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:41 pm
Radial chains let you go faster than standard chains, but above 25 or 30 mph you start breaking them, too. I've found that it doesn't matter around here - I can be all chained up and will still get stuck behind hundreds of cars that aren't.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:04 pm
JTA wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:41 pm
Radial chains let you go faster than standard chains, but above 25 or 30 mph you start breaking them, too. I've found that it doesn't matter around here - I can be all chained up and will still get stuck behind hundreds of cars that aren't.
but none of them are pre 80s vw beetles. you just let a little air out of the tires, fill the gas tank and throw a 94 lb bag of Portland under the hood - good to go.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”