Weather in NC

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Weather in NC

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:33 pm
but none of them are pre 80s vw beetles. you just let a little air out of the tires, fill the gas tank and throw a 94 lb bag of Portland under the hood - good to go.
I was in the backseat of one that ended up on its side in a snowy median. No one hurt, bystanders righted it, pickup pulled it back to the highway, on our merry and somewhat slower way.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

So what is the difference in a radial chain and one for bias-ply?
Yes, I'm only asking out of morbid curiosity. Like I'm ever going to need to know.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:17 pm
So what is the difference in a radial chain and one for bias-ply?
Yes, I'm only asking out of morbid curiosity. Like I'm ever going to need to know.
Radial:

Regular:

I don't know why they look so different, you'll have to google that. I also don't know why those smooth radial chain cylinders grip so well, but they do. In the Rockies I eventually just bought 4 extra rims, put studded tires on them, and changed them out seasonally. It cut down on my use of chains drastically.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:38 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
but none of them are pre 80s vw beetles. you just let a little air out of the tires, fill the gas tank and throw a 94 lb bag of Portland under the hood - good to go.
I was in the backseat of one that ended up on its side in a snowy median. No one hurt, bystanders righted it, pickup pulled it back to the highway, on our merry and somewhat slower way.

weight in the front always helped - I always kept at least a hundred lbs under the hood during my Tennessee winters
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

do people still used the tire studs?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Could be, makes sense - not my Bug, never looked in trunk, wasn't driving.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Yeah, that "regular" version is what I remember, not so fondly. But I never had to use chains very often anyway. I did always have "snow tires" for winter and generally stayed off un-plowed roads. I can think of some occasions in mostly ice that chains would have come in real handy, though.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Did you guys ever do donuts in cul de sacs and slam your car into snow embankments after a huge snowfall?
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

O Really
Admiral

JTA wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:31 pm
Did you guys ever do donuts in cul de sacs and slam your car into snow embankments after a huge snowfall?
Um, no.
But the first winter after I got my drivers license on the first snowfall I was ready to venture out but my dad said "no, you've got to learn to drive in snow first." So he took me to a large parking lot that was mostly empty, and had me drive in the snow, on partly cleared places, and all over. I had to put it into a spin, straighten out, go uphill and down, brake and accelerate. When I thought I was "expert" he took the car down to the bottom of a slope into the side of snowbank by the curb, got out of the car and said "when you've gotten it home safely from here, you can drive in winter." And he left me and walked home. Car was badly stuck, and it took me about a half hour to get it forward-back worked out. The time spent in that parking lot that day paid off many times in the future, though.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

You never know if a snow embankment is actually ice or is hiding something solid.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:27 pm
do people still used the tire studs?
I haven't bothered here, but in the North and West sure. They're great, almost as good as chains but you don't have to slow down or get out to put them on and off.
1312. ETTD.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

JTA wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:31 pm
I've heard stories about my dad doing such a thing, at least until one of those snow embankments turned out to be a solid chunk of ice..... woops

Sometime Lefty
Flight Lieutenant

Unread post by Sometime Lefty »

billy.pilgrim wrote:

How does putting weight in the front of a rear wheel drive VW make it good to go?

O Really
Admiral

Sometime Lefty wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:24 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

How does putting weight in the front of a rear wheel drive VW make it good to go?
Balance, would be my guess - also more weight on front wheels for steering. I never owned one of those beetles, but I knew people who did. They never got stuck, no matter what.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

That and less likely to break loose at speed on ice, easy to do with Bugs.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

correct

weight and balance are good in snow and ice

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:56 am
correct

But a plane ticket is better.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:14 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:56 am
correct

But a plane ticket is better.

All powerful and knowing trump said that he was 45 minutes late because they had to circle Pensacola for 45 minutes due to snow in the area - who knew Jackson Mississippi is part of our area. But more importantly, trump doesn't speak well of travel in a flying machine when they function so poorly with light flurries 200 miles away.

Could his implied support of the superiority of this nazi people's car be more proof of his allegiance to russia?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Stumbled on this trivia:
Montana is the only (lower 48) state that doesn't even border a state that has a city of one million. To get to Salt Lake City, you have to drive through hundreds of miles of Idaho. To get to Seattle (or Portland), you also have to drive through Idaho, and to get to Denver, you have to drive across all of Wyoming. And so on. So when you want a city fix, it takes some doing.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

The whole state doesn't have a million, does it? These people, along with Idaho, Wyoming, Dakotas, etc. get way more than their share of representation in the Senate. Hell, if you can't raise more than a million people in the whole state you shouldn't get a senator at all.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:23 pm
The whole state doesn't have a million, does it?

Barely, 1,042,520 (2016 est.).

These people, along with Idaho,

1,683,140 (2016 est.)

Wyoming, Dakotas, etc. get way more than their share of representation in the Senate.

Yep. Good luck changing that.

Hell, if you can't raise more than a million people in the whole state

Includes VT, AK and DE.

you shouldn't get a senator at all.

1.75 million? But that would include RI, ME, NH and HI, too.
Besides, it's not like FL and NC representation are very good for us. :P
1312. ETTD.