War on Women

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
rstrong
Captain

Re: War on Women

Unread post by rstrong »

Mr.B wrote:That set that "Women's Lib" thingy back a few years, huh? :lol: :---P
Only within the "Party of Lincoln."
Because they never made it out of the 1860s either.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Mr.B wrote:
Vrede wrote:
“Men do tend to talk about things on a much higher level,” Congresswoman Renee Ellmers (R-NC2) said. “Many of my male colleagues, when they go to the House floor, you know, they’ve got some pie chart or graph behind them and they’re talking about trillions of dollars and how, you know, the debt is awful and, you know, we all agree with that. We need our male colleagues to understand that if you can bring it down to a woman’s level...that’s the way to go.”
"bring it down to a woman’s level"? :roll:

Maybe hers.
That set that "Women's Lib" thingy back a few years, huh? :lol: :---P
"Women's Lib"?? Seriously?? So how old are you, Mr.B? I'd guess you have to be 60-something or close to it. That means you had to be born no later than around 1955. Although a fight for equality continues, what was referred to as "Women's Lib" had accomplished most of its first goals by the mid-seventies or when you would have been 20ish. Also, "women's lib" was co-opted as a derogatory term and hasn't used much by real "libbers" for about 40 years - more than half your life.

So my question is, have you really been living under a rock, or are you just continuing your chain-yanking game with Vrede?

Almost all your adult life, women have had and continue to have rights and status not present at the time you were born. It's not any longer anything that can get "set back" by some teapartier making (unwise) off the cuff comments. I'm no fan of Ellmers fershure, but I don't believe for one minute that the former nurse IRL really thinks women need "simplification" to understand what's going on. My wife makes "blonde" jokes as well as lawyer jokes, but she doesn't think either are actually idiots.

If you're not just yanking chain, maybe you were abducted by aliens in 1970 and only recently returned to Earth?

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

So....did you just come from under your rock?

I'm aware how old this 'lib' thing is, and it's still the butt of a few jokes, many of which you wouldn't understand.

My point was that Ellmers said something that was deemed derogatory to women's capabilities; something that was one of the points of the WL movement.

Are you beginning to understand now..... or are you just continuing your chain-yanking game with Mr.B ? :shock:

O Really
Admiral

Mr.B wrote:So....did you just come from under your rock?

I'm aware how old this 'lib' thing is, and it's still the butt of a few jokes, many of which you wouldn't understand.

My point was that Ellmers said something that was deemed derogatory to women's capabilities; something that was one of the points of the WL movement.

Are you beginning to understand now..... or are you just continuing your chain-yanking game with Mr.B ? :shock:
No, can't say I do understand. I understand jokes - even jokes that are old or way out-dated. But I don't understand people so unaware of the world in which they live. For example, I frequently run into managers in their 40's who for some reason think it's OK to say they'd "prefer a male" in the job or "s/he's too old" or "I don't want to hire anybody who won't work on Sunday..." etc. Yet these things have been illegal since before this guy was born. Although discrimination still exists, almost every company in the US has had non-discrimination training and non-discrimination policies in place long before this guy got out of grade school. Where has he been all his life? Jokes about the stereotypical "homely braless hairy-legged libber" might have been funny to some in 1975, but now practically every woman in the country supports the principles and benefits from the efforts of those sasquatches. So the stereotype doesn't fit so well when we're talking about our own mothers, does it?

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

O Really wrote: "So the stereotype doesn't fit so well when we're talking about our own mothers, does it?"
I guess not.

It's amazing how someone can take words spoken in jest (or otherwise), and make a mud-slinging fest out of it. Just look at this forums' dwindling membership.....

O Really
Admiral

Mr.B wrote:
O Really wrote: "So the stereotype doesn't fit so well when we're talking about our own mothers, does it?"
I guess not.

It's amazing how someone can take words spoken in jest (or otherwise), and make a mud-slinging fest out of it. Just look at this forums' dwindling membership.....
Consider the source, Mr.B. Same comment wouldn't have been in character if, for example, rstrong had said it. For you, it was believable. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

O Really wrote: "Consider the source, Mr.B. Same comment wouldn't have been in character if, for example, rstrong had said it. For you, it was believable. Sorry for the misunderstanding."
Thanks. :D

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

The Bully wrote:
Mr.B wrote:"Thanks." :D
"But not for my backing you up?" :(

"I guess it didn't fit your current "bully" meme."
Did anyone else hear that strange noise?

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Saw that this morning. Probly won't be long before one of those prolife terrorists gets violent with one or both of them.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

I suppose they're wearing big dark sunglasses to make it harder for the terrorists identify them outside of the protests. But I don't think it would work very well in the husband's case.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I think I know that guy.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

:shock:
Last edited by Mr.B on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

In those two photos, which is the husband and which is the wife?

O Really
Admiral

They're making laws about tomcats now? Damn, what won't those Republicans do?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

It would be better if it read "keep your laws off my nice kitty" imho.

Sometime Lefty
Flight Lieutenant

Unread post by Sometime Lefty »

I kinda like "Keep your laws off Mike Hunt".

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I saw a news story about this today and thought to myself....gee, that's the wrong answer. This goes to illustrate how our "public servants" increasingly are adopting outlooks that only serve to intensify the "us" versus "them" concept of law enforcement. Perhaps all cops should also be attorneys; maybe that would ameliorate their tendency toward abusing their petty powers but it would probably make no difference and be a lot more expensive for us. -0-?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I fired off a missive a few minutes ago to the Oklahoma Highway Patrol address Vrede shared with us above. In it I remarked about Captain George Brown's apparent stupidity and asked if he is designated "Captain George Brown #47" because that's his IQ. I further recommended that they either make him resign, fire him, or at least order him to keep his mouth shut. Hope they like it.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I hope he gets pulled over and raped.