only 16 more days

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
JTA
Commander

Re: only 16 more days

Unread post by JTA »

Seth Milner wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Seth Milner wrote:Gonna take some time off to close on a piece of property in FL & do some fishing. Adios for now.
fishing is always good
have fun
closings can be full of surprises
good luck
Thanks, Pal....
Don't call me pal, buddy.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Only 10 more days
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

JTA wrote:April 10th, duh...
billy.pilgrim wrote:I must have been using the wrong math

April 11
billy.pilgrim Sat Apr 02 wrote:Only 10 more days
April 12 now? :-0?>
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
JTA wrote:April 10th, duh...
billy.pilgrim wrote:I must have been using the wrong math

April 11
billy.pilgrim Sat Apr 02 wrote:Only 10 more days
April 12 now? :-0?>
still using the new math
so now it is 5 days until April 11th

everyone over 65 should have this date marked on your calendar -
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim on Fri Apr 08 wrote:... so now it is 5 days until April 11th

Or April 13th. :P

everyone over 65 should have this date marked on your calendar -

Why?
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:Why?
International Louie Louie Day

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Is that it, billy.pilgrim?
Lyrics investigation

In February 1964, an outraged parent wrote to Robert Kennedy, then the Attorney General of the United States, alleging that the lyrics of "Louie Louie" were obscene. The Federal Bureau of Investigation investigated the complaint. In June 1965, the FBI laboratory obtained a copy of the Kingsmen recording and, after four months of investigation, concluded that it could not be interpreted, that it was "unintelligible at any speed," and therefore the Bureau could not find that the recording was obscene. In September 1965, an FBI agent interviewed one member of the Kingsmen, who denied that there was any obscenity in the song. The FBI did not interview songwriter Richard Berry, nor did they consult the lyrics on file with the U.S. Copyright Office....

The lyrics controversy resurfaced briefly in 2005 when the superintendent of the school system in Benton Harbor, Michigan, refused to let the marching band at one of the schools play the song in a parade. She later relented.
:lol:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

rstrong wrote:
Vrede too wrote:Why?
International Louie Louie Day

of course

(not so much for JTA) https://youtu.be/4V1p1dM3snQ

played, often as a first song learned, by every garage band, at every sock hop (before we quit having them due to the "colored problem" in 67) and at every fraternity party

for me, a big part of the background before the real 60s

just as every good Pastafarian celebrates "Holiday" generally toward the end of December, all Medicare recipients should celebrate International Louie Louie Day every April 11.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Speaking of yelling "fuck" - for years The Who sang "Who are you" without incident or complaint. Then somebody (might have been Tipper Gore's temperance club) realized that there was a line, "Who the fuck are you?" Apparently what you don't know can't send you to Hell for getting stoned to it.

And speaking of The Who, I managed to catch their "final" concert in Toronto in '82. So I wasn't going to miss the "reincarnated" tour in '89 in Tampa. The absolute best concert I've been to everrr - and I've been to a lot. I almost didn't go to the '97 Tampa show thinking it couldn't be any better than the '89, and it wasn't, but still good.

Those guys deserve a holiday more than LouieLouie, IMNVHO.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

May 15?

Drove 2500 miles round trip with friends to see The Who and the Grateful Dead at the Oakland Coliseum Stadium - October 9, 1976. School, what school? Odd pairing but it was fantastic . . . though I still can't separate what I saw and heard from what was real. ;)
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Never driven that far for a concert, but if I were going to do it, it would have to be somebody like The Who. I guess you'd count going to the New Orleans JazzFest "traveling to a concert" but I never drove to it.

The former "Mrs. O Really" was about 14 and went to see The Monkees. With opening act some unknown guy named Jimi Hendrix. :o

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

O Really wrote:And speaking of The Who, I managed to catch their "final" concert in Toronto in '82.
I was living in Toronto at the time. My brother and a friend went to Buffalo to catch their final tour, before Toronto was added to the tour at the last moment.

I watched it live on TV, my first experience with a simulcast where it was also broadcast in stereo on a local FM station. It was wonderful.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

I saw The Who in 1971 Tuscaloosa of all places

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

some Louie Louie music and trivia on this special day

The Kingsmen

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lo ... ORM=VRDGAR

Springsteen

Otis

and of course

Rockin Robin Roberts, who started it all

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Lo ... ORM=VRDGAR

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louie_Louie
"Louie Louie" has been recognized by organizations and publications worldwide for its influence on the history of rock and roll. A partial list (see "Recognition and rankings" table below) includes the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Grammy Hall of Fame, National Public Radio, VH1, Rolling Stone, the National Endowment for the Arts, and the Recording Industry Association of America. In addition to new versions appearing regularly on YouTube and elsewhere, other major examples of the song's legacy include the unsuccessful attempt in 1985 to make it the state song of Washington, the celebration of International Louie Louie Day every year on April 11

It is unknown exactly how many versions of "Louie Louie" have been recorded, but it is believed to be over 1,500 (according to LouieLouie.net).[62] The Kingsmen version has remained the most popular version of the song, retaining its association with wild partying. It enjoyed a comeback in 1978–1979 and was associated with college fraternity parties when it was sung, complete with the supposedly obscene lyrics, by Bluto (John Belushi) and his fellow Delta House brothers in the movie National Lampoon's Animal House despite the anachronism of the film taking place in 1962, a year before the Kingsmen recording (although this is mitigated by the fact that the Deltas were fans of at least one black R&B musician, and 1962 was five years after Richard Berry released his original version of the song, plus the song had been popular with local bands in the Northwest following Rockin' Robin Roberts' 1961 single).

http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/louie.asp
Once concerned parents began to report their outrage about this allegedly “obscene” song to the FBI, the Bureau made the mistake of expending all their effort in proving it true rather than investigating the rumor itself.

The FBI didn’t try to find out where these dirty lyric sheets were coming from; instead, they spent two and a half years analyzing “Louie Louie” played at a variety of speeds and interrogating nearly everyone connected with the song, including Paul Revere and the Raiders, Richard Berry, the Kingsmen, and even record company executives. One person they never, ever talked to was the one person who indisputably knew what words had been sung on the Kingsmen’s recording: singer Jack Ely. (Ely had been fired from the band well before “Louie, Louie” hit it big, a fact the remaining Kingsmen were not anxious to publicize.) After thirty-one months of trying to unravel the mysteries of “Louie Louie,” the FBI could conclude only that they were “unable to interpret any of the wording in the record.”

For those who want more
Louie Louie Advocacy and Music Appreciation Society (LLAMAS)
http://www.louieday.org/default.htm
April 11 provides an annual opportunity to celebrate the song that has been called best party song of all time, has been recorded more times than any other rock song in history, and was very nearly declared the official state song of Washington State.
Why April 11? Primarily because it's the birthday of Richard Berry, the man who composed Louie Louie. But, in addition, many other important milestones in the history of Louie Louie occurred on or around April 11. Here is a partial list of such events:
April 11, 1935 -- Richard Berry was born in Extension, Louisiana.

For more information about Louie Louie, please visit the following sites:
Louie Louie Advocacy and Music Appreciation Society (LLAMAS)
LouieLouie.net
he Louie Louie Pages
Louie Louie Web
LouieFest

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

billy.pilgrim wrote:"I saw The Who in 1971 Tuscaloosa of all places"
Walk down the street of any city or small town at any given time of the day ... you can see plenty of the "who". (or what) :lol:

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

All the fun and excitement is over for now, but next year is already getting closer. If only shopping were involved this day could be even bigger.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Damn, it almost slipped up on me this year. Only 2 days and there's so much to do.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:15 pm
Speaking of yelling "fuck" - for years The Who sang "Who are you" without incident or complaint. Then somebody (might have been Tipper Gore's temperance club) realized that there was a line, "Who the fuck are you?" Apparently what you don't know can't send you to Hell for getting stoned to it.

And speaking of The Who, I managed to catch their "final" concert in Toronto in '82. So I wasn't going to miss the "reincarnated" tour in '89 in Tampa. The absolute best concert I've been to everrr - and I've been to a lot. I almost didn't go to the '97 Tampa show thinking it couldn't be any better than the '89, and it wasn't, but still good.

Those guys deserve a holiday more than LouieLouie, IMNVHO.
Another fucking soundtrack from my 70s

https://youtu.be/VdEgmtOcv6U

Couldn't find the lyrics, but everybody is trucking and fucking about a hundred times throughout the song.

Then I saw this

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/o ... 597/page-2

There must have been some serious fucking going on in the 1930s

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

"Louie Louie" should be the NASCAR anthem. Righty = wreck.

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:28 am
Another fucking soundtrack from my 70s

https://youtu.be/VdEgmtOcv6U

Couldn't find the lyrics, but everybody is trucking and fucking about a hundred times throughout the song.

Then I saw this

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/o ... 597/page-2

There must have been some serious fucking going on in the 1930s
Very strange. I can't find the lyrics for either "Everybody's Doin' It" (Cody, Country Casanova album) or for the raunchy version of 1937's "Everybody's Truckin'" anywhere online. Here's the latter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ2o2wPrI-s

I saw Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen in 1975 or earlier, good show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R7l7nDuj1o
1312. ETTD.