Sure is quiet around here

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Sure is quiet around here

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

JTA wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Lo ... ORM=VRIBIP

I still listening. It's like I have a time machine and it's 1972 again.

Zappa is next
I've been listening to a lot of hipster music lately. Mac Demarco - Chamber of Reflection and my kind of woman are pretty good. I like this guys music. It's super chill and relaxing. I also like how he's got his own sound.I instantly recognize his music when it comes on Pandora.
Chris Thile or Punch Brothers
most interesting blue grass/classical/different you have ever heard/even some Bach
MacArthur Fellowship ($500,000 'Genius Grant')

Thile with Yo-Yo MA
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... a65HR2ykzw
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

JTA wrote:

Zappa is next
I've been listening to a lot of hipster music lately. Mac Demarco - Chamber of Reflection and my kind of woman are pretty good. I like this guys music. It's super chill and relaxing. I also like how he's got his own sound.I instantly recognize his music when it comes on Pandora.

but he is a canadian
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
JTA wrote:

Zappa is next

but he is a canadian
You mean to tell me I been listening to commie music all this time!?
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
JTA wrote:

Zappa is next

but he is a canadian

Mac Demarco is a great Pandora site
santo and johnny
washed out

not so sure about Tame Impala - but that's pandora

my horizons have been broadened

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
JTA wrote:

Zappa is next

but he is a canadian

Mac Demarco is a great Pandora site
santo and johnny
washed out

not so sure about Tame Impala - but that's pandora

my horizons have been broadened
Oh man it really is!

Washed Out is pretty good. The album "Paracosm" is what I listen to when I climb atop the big rock candy mountain in my mind and am feeling down. It gives me real good vibes. The lyrics are hard to understand when listening, but it really fits the mood, especially when you're chilling alone late at night, since a "paracosm" is a dream world conjured up in your head. It just makes you feel good and fits.

Tame Impala has some pretty trippy stuff. The newer music is more synth-poppy. The oldest stuff by them has more a classic psychadelic rock vibe. My personal favorite by them is "Endors Toi". In fact, that's probably one of my all-time favorite songs, ever.

The Sun, Wander, Half Full Glass of Wine has a straight up Cream vibe.Also Latenight Moonlight. When the Feelings in the Core <-- Real good song.

Fuck last edit - Just listen to the whole Tame Impala B sides album you won't be disapointed.
Last edited by JTA on Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

On an unrelated note, I see we have a new user - antialias_2. I remember we used to have a guy named antialias that posted here. Same guy?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

JTA wrote:On an unrelated note, I see we have a new user - antialias_2. I remember we used to have a guy named antialias that posted here. Same guy?

he's gonna have to post something first

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

April fools prank: making my mom think I'm gay and am coming out of the closet. Let's see how it goes. Muahahahahaha.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

JTA wrote:April fools prank: making my mom think I'm gay and am coming out of the closet. Let's see how it goes. Muahahahahaha.

Cruel

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
JTA wrote:April fools prank: making my mom think I'm gay and am coming out of the closet. Let's see how it goes. Muahahahahaha.

Cruel
Change of plans but the results were equally as satisfactory.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

This is probably in my top five most beautiful songs:

Man...

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

This song's real pretty. The lyrics are nice too, I feel it:

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

This is some fuckin techno bullshit that aint bad:

This song takes you on an adventure. Don't fast forward, you have to listen to the whole thing though to get the effect of it.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

I ain't mad at this:

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

I'm better on Tame Impala now. don't remember what I heard from them yesterday, but I clicked the skip button after about a minute.

Pandora has exposed me to more music than radio and friend ever has. I keep creating stations (they only let me have 100, so I have to delete before I can add new) and each one leads to something new and sometime strange.

Not sure how LCD Soundsystem lead to Santo and Johnny, but so glad it did. I bet I've heard this song a hundred times, but somehow have never heard of them.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=sa ... RV&fsscr=0

You tube does the same - Santo and Johnny took me to the amazing Leo and Chet doing Sleepwalk

and then there is my brain which does the same thing - it took me back to a leo kottke concert in 1970. He must have torn the strings off of a dozen guitars that night. Just him sitting on a stool with a stack of spare guitars in reach

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Le ... orm=VQFRVP

I do love steel and guitar strings

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

If you like Tame Impala, chexk out this other band called Temples. They've got a psychedelic vibe with definite King Crimson influences.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

So, JTA - waaaay back in the day, back with phones had cords that plugged into the wall and a 26-inch TV was a big deal, there was this thing called "radio" that people used to listen to music. It worked similar to Pandora or Slacker, but with fewer stations. But "radio" had these guys called "DJ's" who talked about the music, interspersed with ads and ads. But they'd say things like, "that's 'Back in the USSR' by the Beatles, on the 'White Album.'" DJ's would either "talk the music in" meaning they'd tell you what's coming up, or they'd "talk it out" meaning they'd tell you what you just heard. Interaction was a bit iffy and consisted of calling the station (using the aforementioned phone in a wall) and asking them to play something. They played whatever was on their playlist anyway, but if they happened to play what you had asked for they'd say it was for "JTA who's missing his psycho girlfriend." Later, most music stations were on "FM" with fewer ads and DJ's with melodic voices summarizing what you've heard in a group and telling you what's coming up. Instead of just playing the "top 10" like the AM stations, they played maybe entire album sides, called "deep cuts" but they'd still tell you what it was.

The entire system was designed to get you to buy more record albums, but it was easy to listen to the "radio" hear stuff you liked or didn't, and know what you wanted to buy from the "record store."

Somewhere along the line, music played on "radio" became nothing but occasional filler between ads, with short playlists and not bothering to tell you what's playing.

Now, the choices in music are close to infinite, and no trips to the "record store" are necessary (not that there are any record stores anyway) but the problem remains: how do you find new music you like and who does it? I'd never heard of these people you've posted. Without your guidance, where would I find them?

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

O Really wrote:But they'd say things like, "that's 'Back in the USSR' by the Beatles, on the 'White Album.'"
One of my weirder moments in life: Blasting 'Back in the USSR' on headphones, shortly after crossing into the USSR.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:So, JTA - waaaay back in the day, back with phones had cords that plugged into the wall and a 26-inch TV was a big deal, there was this thing called "radio" that people used to listen to music. It worked similar to Pandora or Slacker, but with fewer stations. But "radio" had these guys called "DJ's" who talked about the music, interspersed with ads and ads. But they'd say things like, "that's 'Back in the USSR' by the Beatles, on the 'White Album.'" DJ's would either "talk the music in" meaning they'd tell you what's coming up, or they'd "talk it out" meaning they'd tell you what you just heard. Interaction was a bit iffy and consisted of calling the station (using the aforementioned phone in a wall) and asking them to play something. They played whatever was on their playlist anyway, but if they happened to play what you had asked for they'd say it was for "JTA who's missing his psycho girlfriend." Later, most music stations were on "FM" with fewer ads and DJ's with melodic voices summarizing what you've heard in a group and telling you what's coming up. Instead of just playing the "top 10" like the AM stations, they played maybe entire album sides, called "deep cuts" but they'd still tell you what it was.

The entire system was designed to get you to buy more record albums, but it was easy to listen to the "radio" hear stuff you liked or didn't, and know what you wanted to buy from the "record store."

Somewhere along the line, music played on "radio" became nothing but occasional filler between ads, with short playlists and not bothering to tell you what's playing.

Now, the choices in music are close to infinite, and no trips to the "record store" are necessary (not that there are any record stores anyway) but the problem remains: how do you find new music you like and who does it? I'd never heard of these people you've posted. Without your guidance, where would I find them?

Create a station on Pandora, they will play what you selected about every forth song, the other songs will have some relation, sometimes an obscure relation, but there will be one. When you here something new that you like, create another station for a whole new set of related songs, until you again create a new one. Each song offers a bio on the artist. Before long you are in completely uncharted territory listening to stuff that your kids or grandparents would love.

I feel sure that JTA didn't internationally turn me on to Santo and Johnny, but LCD and Pandora did - my thanks will always go out to JTA for both.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:So, JTA - waaaay back in the day, back with phones had cords that plugged into the wall and a 26-inch TV was a big deal, there was this thing called "radio" that people used to listen to music. It worked similar to Pandora or Slacker, but with fewer stations. But "radio" had these guys called "DJ's" who talked about the music, interspersed with ads and ads. But they'd say things like, "that's 'Back in the USSR' by the Beatles, on the 'White Album.'" DJ's would either "talk the music in" meaning they'd tell you what's coming up, or they'd "talk it out" meaning they'd tell you what you just heard. Interaction was a bit iffy and consisted of calling the station (using the aforementioned phone in a wall) and asking them to play something. They played whatever was on their playlist anyway, but if they happened to play what you had asked for they'd say it was for "JTA who's missing his psycho girlfriend." Later, most music stations were on "FM" with fewer ads and DJ's with melodic voices summarizing what you've heard in a group and telling you what's coming up. Instead of just playing the "top 10" like the AM stations, they played maybe entire album sides, called "deep cuts" but they'd still tell you what it was.

Haha, yeah radio has certainly gone down hill. Same junk over and over and over again.

WALL O' TEXT:

I spend most of my day listening to music, both at work and home. Oftentimes I'll browse the web, sites like http://metal-archives.com for my meta needs, or http://last.fm for other needs. LastFM's pretty good in that it'll give you a list of "Similar Artist", so often I'll start there. I'll enter a band I like, say, Tame Impala. That's how I found out about Temples. Then I'll go to youtube and listen to a song or two to see if I dig it.

However, hands down the best way I discover new stuff is both Amazon Prime and Pandora. Amazon prime works similar to Pandora in that I can enter an artist and they'll play stuff similar. Pandora I'll do the same, or sometimes enter a particular genre like "trip-hop" then take a trip down the rabbit hole.

It's funny how I got into hip-hop. I used to HATE hip-hop. HATE IT! Well, it all started with blues-rock, like Hendrix and Johnny Winter. This lead to accidentally stumbling into Funk - Parliament, Funkadelic, etc. Tangenetally, I credit Rage Against the Machine with also sowing the seeds for my interests in funk. From Funk I discovered a few chill songs by groups like the Jackson Sisters and Curtis Mayfield, Heatwave and James Brown. In parallel I also grew my interest with my interest in Reggae - From Bob Marley I found artists like Peter Tosh, then this turned me to the closely related reggae genre of Dancehall - stuff like Yellowman, Sister Nancy, etc.

The seeds had been sown into the depths of my being.

One day I was lying around smoking a fatty on a hot summer day. Everything was right in the world and my life. Weather was beautiful. Summer was here. Had a great group of friends (still do!). A job that I only mildly despised. Had a cool lady at the time that was always DTF 24/7 and would never dead fish me when it happened. Life was fucking great!!!!!

I had been listening to Rage Against the Machine (heavy funk influences. This is why I got into funk and into the stuff listed above). This song came on youtube after RATM had stopped playing (RATM covered their song Pistol Grip Pump, that's what ties the two together):

You hear the funky beat? This made me leave the realm of metal-funk (RATM) and pushed me firmly into the realm into hip-hop. A musical renaissance was about to begin in my life.

Fast forward to the end of summer 2015. My cool lady had entered the dust bin of history. I had broken up with her because I was falling hard for her and she me and had just left a long term relationship. I got spooked it wasn't real on my part and didn't want to hurt this girl because I liked her, so I broke it off. Huge regret in hindsight. I was feeling blue sitting in my cube hell at work contemplating shit when this song came on:

Another:

Link to full album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFEVxpJtPm8

This brought transferred me firmly into the realm of hip-hop, R&B, and soul. Plugged "Pete Rock" into pandora and discovered a treasure trove of good stuff. Pete Rock had some instrumental stuff which I found out can be classed as "trip-hop", so I began to explore this. This led me to shit like this:

Trip hop opened the door to stuff like "chill-wave" - Washed Out, LCD Sounsystem (also Tame Impala!!) and the rest is history.

I'm still on the Journey, man. Without music I would off myself. Hands down I'd rather be blind than deaf. I'm super passionate about music. I don't know if I fucked my brain up somewhere along the line but it takes you on a journey when you just sit back and relax and listen to it. I don't even watch TV anymore, I sit around my house and light some candles if dark and just lie around and smoke my pipe and listen to music. That's how I meditate. You need to find the right song for the right time though. The best way I can describe music is like when you add spices to food to bring out certain flavors. Music I think is a lot like that. Listening to the right song at the right time to complement your emotional state is like adding spice to food - it adds to the intensity, compliments whatever emotional state you're in and amplifies it and takes you on a journey. You just need to find the right song with the right vibes. I think a person's musical tastes can tell you a lot about them as well and what rhythm they operate on. Two people with similar tastes in music at the same time or more likely to click than two people with completely opposite tastes in music IMO.