Thanks Canada (except for the bieber thing)

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
JTA
Commander

Re: Thanks Canada (except for the bieber thing)

Unread post by JTA »

Since we're on the topic of how men are better than women... /s

On my FB feed there was a shitstorm over a director insinuating that men are better suited to direct fantasy films, as he believes men tend to be more idealistic whilst women tend to be more realistic. Ok. Maybe this is bullshit. The shitstorm seemed to be over this guy saying that men and women are better suited to different roles. People were calling him sexist.

Left leaning BRD members, why am I wrong for thinking the ensuing FB shit storm over a seemingly innocuous comment was completely absurd? From my personal experiences of interacting with probably tens of thousands of men and women over the course of my lifetime, I've noticed that men and women do in fact tend to have many differences. I do not think the sexes should be treated differently. Everyone regardless of race, sex, whatever ought to be treated exactly the same. Everyone ought to be given an equal chance.

Has the world gone mad, or am I sexist?

Here's the article: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/j ... w-miyazaki

Quote in question that riled up people:
Will Ghibli ever employ a female director? Nishimura fields this question. “It depends on what kind of a film it would be. Unlike live action, with animation we have to simplify the real world. Women tend to be more realistic and manage day-to-day lives very well. Men on the other hand tend to be more idealistic – and fantasy films need that idealistic approach. I don’t think it’s a coincidence men are picked.”
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

The question isn't really if his statement (opinion) is correct or not. It may be. The question is whether even an accurate generalization can be applied to every individual. If it can't (and practically nothing can), then it's discrimination - in this case sexist - to use it in a decision.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

I'm confused. Nishimura says that the sexes should be treated differently and not given an equal chance, but you think the shitstorm is "mad" while posting:
JTA wrote:... I do not think the sexes should be treated differently. Everyone regardless of race, sex, whatever ought to be treated exactly the same. Everyone ought to be given an equal chance....
Even if it's true that "men tend to be more idealistic whilst women tend to be more realistic", that doesn't mean that the best fantasy filmmaker that will work with him isn't a woman (as O Really essentially posted while I was composing).

Plus, I doubt his premise. After all, idealistic women marry slobs in hopes of making them better while men realistically settle for whoever will have sex with them. :D
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:I'm confused. Nishimura says that the sexes should be treated differently and not given an equal chance, but you think the shitstorm is "mad" while posting...
Shit you know what you're right.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Canada's opinion of US reaches record 35-year low after election of Donald Trump

Canadians’ view on the US have changed for the worse since the election of Donald Trump, according to a new survey.

Fewer than half of those surveyed have a “favourable view” of the US, the lowest in the 35 years the survey has been asking the question about the US-Canada relationship....

In addition, nearly 20 per cent of survey respondents said they were changing travel plans that included the US. They cited the political climate as a primary reason for doing so.

About eight per cent were considering changing travel plans as well....

Almost eight in ten respondents said immigration has a positive impact on their country, a number that has not changed much in the last 15 years.

Six in ten feel there is not too much immigration into their country, bucking the trend toward isolationism and anti-immigration in the US, UK, and France. This is the highest level in nine years.

The survey also comes after the country accepted over 40,000 Syrian refugees as well....
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Vrede too wrote:
Canada's opinion of US reaches record 35-year low after election of Donald Trump

Canadians’ view on the US have changed for the worse since the election of Donald Trump, according to a new survey.

Fewer than half of those surveyed have a “favourable view” of the US, the lowest in the 35 years the survey has been asking the question about the US-Canada relationship....

In addition, nearly 20 per cent of survey respondents said they were changing travel plans that included the US. They cited the political climate as a primary reason for doing so.

About eight per cent were considering changing travel plans as well....

Almost eight in ten respondents said immigration has a positive impact on their country, a number that has not changed much in the last 15 years.

Six in ten feel there is not too much immigration into their country, bucking the trend toward isolationism and anti-immigration in the US, UK, and France. This is the highest level in nine years.

The survey also comes after the country accepted over 40,000 Syrian refugees as well....
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

It's complicated. Canadians will cheerfully criticize the US, but will be the first to defend the US when Eurotrash or anyone else criticizes them.

The more Washington makes the Americans look bad, the more shows like the Daily Show, Colbert, Last Week Tonight and Full Frontal make it look awesome. Not just for their freedom, or their ability to milk ANY situation for humor, but to teach while doing so.

O Really
Admiral

It's pretty scary to consider how Gov. Petomane and his crowd - gross exaggerations in the 70's - are not much of an exaggeration when compared to the current Republicans. Incompetent leadership, behind the scenes evil puppeteer, women for decor, henchmen (AG, TSA, ICE, etc.), active attempts to make people miserable, greed-based actions, conflicts of interest, yada. You could do a re-make of Blazing Saddles replacing pretty much every character with a real Republican person.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

O Really wrote:It's pretty scary to consider how Gov. Petomane and his crowd - gross exaggerations in the 70's - are not much of an exaggeration when compared to the current Republicans. Incompetent leadership, behind the scenes evil puppeteer, women for decor, henchmen (AG, TSA, ICE, etc.), active attempts to make people miserable, greed-based actions, conflicts of interest, yada. You could do a re-make of Blazing Saddles replacing pretty much every character with a real Republican person.
I knew someone in here would get it!
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

A little sloppy without saying how many were planning to visit. Here's what the full report says:
... Close to one-fifth (18%) of Canadians surveyed say they have already changed their plans for visiting the USA this year because of the current political climate in that country, with another eight percent who say they are thinking about doing the same. Six in ten (59%) have not done so, while another 14 percent report they never had any plans for US travel this year....
No doubt some of the 59% that have not changed plans have family or work commitments that would make it difficult to do so.

I never knew that 85-86% of Canadians visit the USA each year. If the answers are honest and if other nationals are doing the same, that's gonna be a big hit to the tourist economy. Trump is bad for business.

rstrong, have you, will you or might you change plans?
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:rstrong, have you, will you or might you change plans?
The closest thing to a tourist trip I've ever taken to the US is attending a Microsoft programmers' conference back in 1996. The other couple times I've been to the US have been to visit a friend in Michigan while transiting from Manitoba to southern Ontario.

Most Canadians' trips to the US are day trips for shopping; they don't affect tourist attractions and hotels much. The currently low Canadian dollar (low because of low oil prices) will have far more of an effect than Trump.

Of course - as mentioned further up - Trump has stopped large group trips, because any large group is bound to have someone who would be turned back because of the wrong ancestry or religion. So no more school, scouting and other large groups visiting the US. They're not going to leave someone behind.

I haven't visited the US in over a decade. Not since I was warned that I might be detained over accusations that I broke AACS and in turn - I swear, I'm not making this up - being personally responsible for the demise of HD-DVD.

It's been a decade, so it might be safe to visit.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I wouldn't know, but reduced routine Canadian shopping could be even worse for US business than reduced tourism.
rstrong wrote:... Of course - as mentioned further up - Trump has stopped large group trips, because any large group is bound to have someone who would be turned back because of the wrong ancestry or religion. So no more school, scouting and other large groups visiting the US. They're not going to leave someone behind....
Well, y'all are a problem in gangs. :P

Advanced Access Content System: Unlicensed decryption, Security

AACS encryption key controversy

If I understood any of this I might know whether you're a hero or a bastard. ;)
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

It was an earlier version of the first AACS article that made me spit tea all over my monitor.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Canadian policy in the era of Trump is like one of those prescription drug commercials. "I'm living with Trump, but I'm not letting Trump control my life."

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:If the answers are honest and if other nationals are doing the same, that's gonna be a big hit to the tourist economy.
BTW, has Missouri ever done a tourism ad with the slogan "Missouri Loves Company?" If not, what is even the point of Missouri?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

>>> groan <<<

Like its most famous landmark . . .

Spoiler:
. . . Missouri has no point. :D
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I would have thought so, too, except that we found this that we're going to ride on later this year...
https://mostateparks.com/park/katy-trail-state-park

Close to Boonville - https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions ... souri.html

And a few miles away from - http://www.warmspringsranch.com/

Who knew?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Bill Hader (and Jay Pharoah) Calls Justin Bieber The Worst-Behaved 'SNL' Guest

Bill Hader: 2005–2013
Jay Pharoah: 2010-2016

Consider how many guests they must have had from 2005–2016, that's really saying something. It took a (Canadian) village to raise Justin Bieber. :P
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:56 pm
Sorry! Have some ice cream, on us!

Uh oh...
We have already retaliated.
1312. ETTD.