Thanks Canada (except for the bieber thing)

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Thanks Canada (except for the bieber thing)

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

RIP Madeleine Sherwood, a very overlooked but wonderful actress

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/m ... nun-887302

Madeleine Sherwood, who starred in the stage and film versions of the Tennessee Williams classics Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Sweet Bird of Youth, has died. She was 93.

Sherwood, perhaps best known as the non-nonsense Reverend Mother Superior Lydia Placido on the 1967-70 ABC sitcom The Flying Nun starring Sally Field, died Saturday at her childhood home in Lac Cornu, Quebec, family spokesperson Melissa Fitch told The Hollywood Reporter.

A native of Montreal, Sherwood studied under Lee Strasberg at the Actors Studio in New York. She made her Broadway debut in 1952 replacing Kim Stanley in Horton Foote's The Chase, and a year later, she played Abigail, who accuses many in the town of Salem of witchcraft, in Arthur Miller's The Crucible.

Sherwood portrayed Mae Pollitt/Sister Woman in the Pulitzer Prize-winning Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, directed by Elia Kazan, then reprised the role for Richard Brooks in the 1958 film adaptation. In Sweet Bird of Youth, she starred as Miss Lucy on Broadway in 1959-60 and in the 1962 movie.
Her other Broadway credits include Camelot (1961), Williams' The Night of the Iguana (1962) — where she stepped in for Bette Davis — Do I Hear a Waltz? (1965), Inadmissible Evidence (1965) and Edward Albee's All Over (1971). Her final stage performance was in a play about Williams’ mother, Miss Edwina.

Sherwood also worked for Kazan in the 1956 film Baby Doll, playing a nurse. Her movie résumé includes Otto Preminger's Hurry, Sundown (1967), Pendulum (1969), The Changeling (1980), Resurrection (1980) and Teachers (1984).

She also appeared in the TV soap operas One Life to Live, The Guiding Light and As the World Turns.

In the 1980s, Sherwood, Cicely Tyson and Joanne Woodward were the first actresses to receive a grant from the American Film Institute to direct short films (she wrote, directed and acted in a film called Good Night Sweet Prince).

Blacklisted during the McCarthy era, Sherwood was an active participant in the civil rights movement (she was arrested during a Freedom Walk in Alabama) in the 1960s and in the women’s movement in the '70s. She twice was nominated for the Order of Canada.

Survivors include her daughter Chloe, two grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Thanks Canada (except for the bieber thing)

Unread post by Seth Milner »

(except for the bieber thing) . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Seth Milner wrote:(except for the bieber thing) . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

flipping through the channels at 4 in the morning and came across an old favorite

Those Mounties were way cool to this five year old and Colorado looks just like Canada anyway
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

You're welcome!

But we're not apologizing for the Bieber thing. It was an American talent scout for an American music studio that decided to make him a star.

BTW, please, please, PLEASE tell us that Donald Trump is secretly Andy Kaufman...

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

rstrong wrote:You're welcome!

But we're not apologizing for the Bieber thing. It was an American talent scout for an American music studio that decided to make him a star.

BTW, please, please, PLEASE tell us that Donald Trump is secretly Andy Kaufman...
How did you find out?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

RIP Canadian - Morley Safer Dies At 84: '60 Minutes' Star Helped Change War Reporting.

It was him in 65 showing Marines burning a village to "teach them a lesson" that gave the antiwar movement it's mainstream start.

pissed lbj off

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:RIP Willburrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Loved the Mr. Ed show, but bio says he was born in England

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

... Angus Young was born Nov. 19, 1919, in North Shields, Northumberland, England, near the Scottish border. His father was a tap dancer and his mother a singer. The family moved when he was a child to Edinburgh and then to a community outside Vancouver....

Young eventually got his own radio show on the CBC but left to serve in the Canadian navy and army during World War II.

Now in Toronto
after his discharge from the service, Young was “discovered” in the U.S. when Frank Cooper — an agent who also was instrumental in the careers of Frank Sinatra and Dinah Shore — accidentally picked up Young’s show through his static on the radio.

Cooper brought him to New York to tell jokes on the Philco Hall of Fame radio program in 1944, and that led to Young being hired as a summer replacement for one of his heroes on The Eddie Cantor Show....
Thanks England and Scotland, too.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Truth be told, I'm a bit disappointed with Canada these days. Canadian kids think it's great when they make a popsicle stick house or macaroni art. That's all very nice, but there's kids in China making iPhones. Our kids need to step it up.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

I had two Justin Bieber concert tickets on my front seat.
Some jackass smashed out the front window and left another four!

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

rstrong wrote:Truth be told, I'm a bit disappointed with Canada these days. Canadian kids think it's great when they make a popsicle stick house or macaroni art. That's all very nice, but there's kids in China making iPhones. Our kids need to step it up.
It's not only Canadian kids. Have you noticed that in recent years the winners of Spelling Bee's are Asian Indian kids? They're spelling words I've never heard of, let alone spell, and I made straight A's in spelling.

Continental American kids know all about iPhones . . . except how to properly use them. News item told of a 15 year old girl home alone when burglars broke in. Hiding in a closet, she TEXTS her Mother at work, telling her that someone has broken in, and she's scared! No CALLING 911, only exchanging wordy texts with Mom. Go to a mall, you'll see teens typing furiously on their screens; rarely a phone to an ear.
American kids make iPhones? You gotta be kidding! You think they're going to stoop so low as to work in a factory?

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Seth Milner wrote:You think they're going to stoop so low as to work in a factory?
Well, to be accurate, it's not like there are any iphone factories (or many of any other kind) to work in, are there?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

2007, I'm happy to be corrected by more current figures:
What are the Top Manufacturing Countries?

The world's top manufacturing country is the United States, and this has been the case since before World War II. In 2007, the United States' manufacturing output was $1.831 trillion US Dollars (USD). This is about 12% of the USA's entire gross domestic product (GDP), or $12,206 USD for every person in the 150 million-strong labor force. Still, the USA's output per capita is not the world's greatest — that honor goes to Japan....

China ($1,106 billion USD),
Japan ($926 billion USD),
Germany ($670 billion USD),
Russian Federation ($362 billion USD),
Italy ($345 billion USD),
United Kingdom ($342 billion USD),
France ($296 billion USD),
South Korea ($241 billion USD),
Canada ($218 billion USD),
Spain ($208 billion USD),
and Brazil ($206 billion USD).
Who knew that Italy was such a powerhouse?

Off to work soon, so may have flubbed the math. Using these figures and population data I get that:

Canada has a population that's 11% of the US population, and manufacturing income that's 12% of the US.
Canada has a population that's 3% of China's population, and manufacturing income that's 20% of China's.

That would place Canada behind Japan and slightly above the US for manufacturing per capita, and all 3 well above China. It's probably out there but I didn't easily find data on comparative manufacturing jobs per capita. It doesn't look like the US and Canada are doing that terribly, even if they don't have the sheer dominance they once had.
1312. ETTD.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

O Really wrote:
Seth Milner wrote:You think they're going to stoop so low as to work in a factory?
Well, to be accurate, it's not like there are any iphone factories (or many of any other kind) to work in, are there?
Well, no, but rstrong used iPhones as an example. There is still much manufacturing in the US and Canada that turn out hi-tech products; the work is hard and demanding, and presently, the rewards are great . . . and then, there are factories that offer employment to those who only seek a week-to-week paycheck.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:2007, I'm happy to be corrected by more current figures:
OK, don't worry - be happy.
China displaced the United States as the world’s largest manufacturing nation in 2010 and widened its lead in 2013

https://www.mapi.net/blog/2015/09/china ... nufacturer

But when you look at the list in your original article, it still shows a pretty bleak picture for US manufacturing. Sure, there are some high dollar world leading things like the heavy equipment, aerospace and autos, but after you get past the big dollar stuff you don't have a lot of width, thus not a huge number of locations with a manufacturing base. You're still driving though small to medium towns all over with closed and rotting plants and factories.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Seth Milner wrote:It's not only Canadian kids. Have you noticed that in recent years the winners of Spelling Bee's are Asian Indian kids? They're spelling words I've never heard of, let alone spell, and I made straight A's in spelling.
I've mentioned this a few times before: It's not about being Asian, Indian or African. It's more of an immigration thing:
rstrong wrote:We all know people with grand plans to improve their lives. They're going to move to the west coast. (Or to Canada if the Republicans or Democrats win.) They're going to save up, quit their jobs and go back to school. They're going to run for office and fix things. But most never do. They're stuck in the inertia of their own lives, unable to drop or stop making new commitments even in the long term. Or unable to save, or put in the extra effort. Or just too nervous about taking a leap into a new life.

Immigration acts as a filter. You get only the people who DO the things they said. Who got over their fears. Who put in the extra effort.

These are the kind of people you want as citizens. The kind who ALSO tend to start businesses and create jobs. It's one reason why for immigration is a good deal for the countries they head for.
Their kids, learning their attitude, do better too. (The following generation, not so much.)

It's the same thing with folks immigrating *from* the US. Canada gained some great citizens among those avoiding the Vietnam war draft. It acted as a filter, the (non-wealthy) intelligent ones heading north while the (non-wealthy) rest went to Vietnam.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

While it's good to be a competent speller, this level of competition with such obscure words is more like a sport than a test of intelligence, literacy or critical thinking skills that have value in the real world. I don't care if kids from non-immigrant families pursue hobbies other than pouring over dictionaries for hours every day.
Seth Milner wrote:It's not only Canadian kids. Have you noticed that in recent years the winners of Spelling Bee's [sic] are Asian Indian kids? They're spelling words I've never heard of, let alone spell, and I made straight A's [sic] in spelling.
:lol: Irony. What were your grades in punctuation?
1312. ETTD.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Punctuation wasn't a curriculum; but I know how to spell "opps". :sunny:

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander