Canada politically-corrects National Anthem

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Canada politically-corrects National Anthem

Unread post by Seth Milner »

The Canadian parliament is close to adopting a bill that would change the national anthem – O Canada – to make it gender-neutral.
The bill, affecting only the English-language lyrics, would change “in all thy sons command” to “in all of us command.”

“It is tragic that this is being done in a fashion where Canadians are being shut out. Their national anthem is being changed. They have been singing it for decades, millions of Canadians. It belongs to them, it is not a plaything of us,” Peter Van Loan, a Conservative MP, said in committee Thursday, the National Post reports.

“We are telling Canadians, ‘Guess what, you don’t have a say in your national anthem," Van Loan said. "It belongs to us as politicians ... for us to deliver our worldview to you and impose it upon you."

Sounds about right; we have the same issues in the US of A. Seems I recall instances where the vote of the people was tossed out.
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

JTA
Commander

Re: Canada politically-corrects National Anthem

Unread post by JTA »

This is why I'm voting Trump !!1!

/s
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Yes, the same issue occurred in the US when they changed "darkies" to "people" in "My Old Kentucky Home." Strangely, though, nobody complained that the line became "the people are gay." :lol:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Nttawwt.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

:lol:
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

O Really wrote:Yes, the same issue occurred in the US when they changed "darkies" to "people" in "My Old Kentucky Home." Strangely, though, nobody complained that the line became "the people are gay." :lol:
That song isn't/wasn't a national anthem. As another poster aptly put it: The word gay, in reference to homosexuals, was hijacked to describe other than happiness. A big change in our social structure.

O Really
Admiral

Well, at least when Trump gets into office I'm sure he'll get that Mexican Jose out of the National Anthem.

O Really
Admiral

Seth Milner wrote:
O Really wrote:Yes, the same issue occurred in the US when they changed "darkies" to "people" in "My Old Kentucky Home." Strangely, though, nobody complained that the line became "the people are gay." :lol:
That song isn't/wasn't a national anthem. As another poster aptly put it: The word gay, in reference to homosexuals, was hijacked to describe other than happiness. A big change in our social structure.
Work connotations do change over time. But for whatever reason, the term "gay" already had multiple connotations when they changed "Old Kentucky Home." Still funny.

So what do you suppose Peter Van Loan, a Conservative MP, would have preferred - an expensive national referendum over a couple of interchangeable words in "O Canada" or simply ignore the preferences of those who favored a change? Nevermind.

O Really
Admiral

BTW, Seth, I didn't see a link to the original article. Was the headline really "politically-corrects" the Anthem. Seems "updates" would be equally accurate.

O Really
Admiral

Most articles say "Canda set to make national anthem gender-neutral." Here's a good discussion, including the history of the English version, and shock! this isn't its first revision. MAAN.

O Really
Admiral

Nobody tell MP Loan that Ace is now the "place with the helpful hardware folks." Commies.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:... But for whatever reason, the term "gay" already had multiple connotations when they changed "Old Kentucky Home." ...
In 1986. The KY Leg. must have been okay with the modern meaning of "gay", nttawwt.
Last edited by Vrede too on Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:Most articles say "Canda set to make national anthem gender-neutral." Here's a good discussion, including the history of the English version, and shock! this isn't its first revision. MAAN.
Looks like you forgot the link.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Seth Milner wrote:... As another poster aptly put it: The word gay, in reference to homosexuals, was hijacked to describe other than happiness. A big change in our social structure.
Are you and "another poster" really whining about "A big change in our social structure", actually just a change in word meaning (you fail English, again), that occurred well before you were born?
Gay: Sexualization

The word may have started to acquire associations of immorality as early as the 14th century, but had certainly acquired them by the 17th. By the late 17th century it had acquired the specific meaning of "addicted to pleasures and dissipations", an extension of its primary meaning of "carefree" implying "uninhibited by moral constraints". A gay woman was a prostitute, a gay man a womanizer, and a gay house a brothel. The use of gay to mean "homosexual" was in origin merely an extension of the word's sexualized connotation of "carefree and uninhibited", which implied a willingness to disregard conventional or respectable sexual mores. Such usage, documented as early as the 1920s, was likely present before the 20th century, although it was initially more commonly used to imply heterosexually unconstrained lifestyles, as in the once-common phrase "gay Lothario", or in the title of the book and film The Gay Falcon (1941), which concerns a womanizing detective whose first name is "Gay". The "gaya ciencia" was a Provençal/French/Castilian term for poetry. Similarly, Fred Gilbert and G. H. MacDermott's music hall song of the 1880s, "Charlie Dilke Upset the Milk" – "Master Dilke upset the milk/When taking it home to Chelsea;/ The papers say that Charlie's gay/Rather a wilful wag!" – referred to Sir Charles Dilke's alleged heterosexual impropriety. Giving testimony in court in 1889, the rentboy John Saul stated: "I occasionally do odd-jobs for different gay people." ...

A passage from Gertrude Stein's Miss Furr & Miss Skeene (1922) is possibly the first traceable published use of the word to refer to a homosexual relationship. According to Linda Wagner-Martin (Favored Strangers: Gertrude Stein and her Family (1995) the portrait "featured the sly repetition of the word gay, used with sexual intent for one of the first times in linguistic history," and Edmund Wilson (1951, quoted by James Mellow in Charmed Circle (1974) agreed. For example:

They were ...gay, they learned little things that are things in being gay, ... they were quite regularly gay.
— Gertrude Stein, 1922

You fail research, again.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
O Really wrote:Most articles say "Canda set to make national anthem gender-neutral." Here's a good discussion, including the history of the English version, and shock! this isn't its first revision. MAAN.
Looks like you forgot the link.
Sorry.
http://www.xperimen.com/_591268

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Seth Milner wrote: The Canadian parliament is close to adopting a bill that would change the national anthem – O Canada – to make it gender-neutral.
The bill, affecting only the English-language lyrics, would change “in all thy sons command” to “in all of us command.”

“It is tragic that this is being done in a fashion where Canadians are being shut out. Their national anthem is being changed. They have been singing it for decades, millions of Canadians. It belongs to them, it is not a plaything of us,” Peter Van Loan, a Conservative MP, said in committee Thursday, the National Post reports.

“We are telling Canadians, ‘Guess what, you don’t have a say in your national anthem," Van Loan said. "It belongs to us as politicians ... for us to deliver our worldview to you and impose it upon you."

Sounds about right; we have the same issues in the US of A. Seems I recall instances where the vote of the people was tossed out.
A. The 2000 election
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

One of the main streets in Auburn is Gay St.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

This is worth a "politically-corrects" thread? :roll:
... The bill, affecting only the English-language lyrics, would change "in all thy sons command" to "in all of us command"....
Way dumb for Seth Milner to whine about it.
O Really wrote:BTW, Seth, I didn't see a link to the original article. Was the headline really "politically-corrects" the Anthem. Seems "updates" would be equally accurate.
Of course he didn't link it. Then, we would have seen the paragraphs that he sleazily eliminated:
Canada set to make national anthem gender-neutral

... If adopted, one line in the new version would revert almost to what it was before 1914 when it read, "Our home, our native land, True patriot love thou dost in us command.” The line was changed in 1914 to "in all they sons command" in an apparent effort, according to one account, to stoke First World War patriotic fervor for the boys heading overseas, according to The Globe and Mail.

Not every MP is on board with the proposed change. One attempt to revise the lyrics was rejected in 2010 by Conservatives even though it was proposed by Conservative PM Stephen Harper....
Is it really "politically-corrects" to go back to a gender neutral version like it was in 1913 before WW1 political correctness made it male-centric?
Seth Milner wrote:Sounds about right; we have the same issues in the US of A. Seems I recall instances where the vote of the people was tossed out.
Was there a "vote of the people" in 1914 or are you just pulling things out of your ass, again?

Silly me, that's exactly the kind of question that Seth Milner runs shrieking away from every time. So, I'll answer it:

O Canada

There has never been a "vote of the people" on the song or its lyrics. Seth Milner lied, again. Kinda ironic that in this short Canada thread Seth Milner has already displayed so many of the severe and chronic character flaws that rstrong has detailed at length.
Last edited by Vrede too on Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:Well, at least when Trump gets into office I'm sure he'll get that Mexican Jose out of the National Anthem.
:D

Took me awhile.
1312. ETTD.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Vrede too wrote:
O Really wrote:Well, at least when Trump gets into office I'm sure he'll get that Mexican Jose out of the National Anthem.
Took me awhile.
No surprise there. "Jose, can you see?"