Outer space thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Outer space thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

odds are running even money that trump will demand for a fly-over during his big parade to himself
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

I've seen a lot of very bad reporting on the subject.

Musk says that he hopes to have a smaller-scale version of the BFR doing "up and down" flights (straight up for a few thousand feet then back down) by the end of 2019. And that may only mean the booster stage. But some otherwise credible papers have turned that into manned flights to Mars by 2019.

The article above sneers at NASA for all the stages/vehicles needed to get to the moon, while Musk plans to do it in just ONE. But strictly speaking, the BFR has a booster stage and the main spacecraft. And for beyond earth orbit it would be refueled by another BFR configured as a tanker, with it's own booster. So four stages/vehicles.

The BFR runs into the same problem the scrapped the Saturn V: Other than manned beyond-earth-orbit flights, there's nothing that needs a launcher that big. So the newer plan is to build the smaller-scale BFR, a replacement for the Falcon rockets that might pay for itself, before moving on to the big Mars ship.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Senate Confirms Climate Change Denier To Lead NASA

... The final vote ― which was 50-49 along party lines ― came one day after the Senate narrowly advanced Bridenstine’s nomination, thanks to an about-face from Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) and a key vote from Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.). Rubio, who in September told Politico that he worried about Bridenstine’s nomination “could be devastating for the space program,” said in a statement Wednesday that he decided to support the nominee in order to avoid “a gaping leadership void” at NASA....
Not Voting - McCain (R-AZ)
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Not that big of a deal that someone found 12 more moons orbiting Jupiter - the count was already 67, but one of the one time more normal size moon keeps getting smaller. This ball of rock and ice is now only one mile in diameter due to collisions from orbiting in the opposite direction as the other 78(+) moons.

https://youtu.be/aPB6AlNRRtQ
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Not so outer space thread

US, Russian astronauts safe after emergency landing

A booster rocket failed less than two minutes after launching an American and a Russian toward the International Space Station on Thursday, forcing their emergency — but safe — landing on the steppes of Kazakhstan.

It was the latest in a recent series of failures for the troubled Russian space program, which is used by the U.S. to carry its astronauts to the station.

NASA astronaut Nick Hague and Roscosmos' Alexei Ovchinin were subjected to heavy gravitational forces as their capsule automatically jettisoned from the Soyuz booster rocket and fell back to Earth at a sharper-than-normal angle and landed about 20 kilometers (12 miles) east of the city of Dzhezkazgan in Kazakhstan....
I didn't know that such events could be survivable.
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Re: Not so outer space thread

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:34 pm
I didn't know that such events could be survivable.
Probably no longer using Chinese-made parachutes. Happy they're safe! :thumbup: :clap: :clap:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=777&p=94057&hilit=figures#p94057
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:23 am
Hidden Figures

Excellent acting all around. I liked the casting of perennial sweet girl Kirsten Dunst as a (mostly) racist bitch.

Movie: :thumbup:

Real life Black women mathematicians of NASA: :-|| :-|| :-||
Unhidden figure:

The first image of a black hole was brought to you by Katie Bouman — and Twitter is making sure no one forgets it

:-||
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Donald Trump's latest tweets!
For all of the money we are spending, NASA should NOT be talking about going to the Moon - We did that 50 years ago. They should be focused on the much bigger things we are doing, including Mars (of which the Moon is a part), Defense and Science!
:confusion-scratchheadblue:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/twitter-erup ... 35373.html
"As JFK famously said, 'We choose to go to the Moon not because it is easy, but because it is Mars.'"
"Moon is part of Mars is going to lead to moon truthers and Qanon people joining forces."
Comments:
The sad thing is that because of this tweet, now over 40% of the US population believes the moon is a part of Mars...and will now obsessively defend this position here and elsewhere.
Lindsey Graham quickly agreed and William Barr has threatened to prosecute any astronomer who says the moon is not part of Mars.
Everyone knows that the Moon hides within Mars during the day. The Moon only comes out at night. Sheesh!
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:44 pm
For all of the money we are spending, NASA should NOT be talking about going to the Moon - We did that 50 years ago. They should be focused on the much bigger things we are doing, including Mars (of which the Moon is a part), Defense and Science!
"As JFK famously said, 'We choose to go to the Moon not because it is easy, but because it is Mars.'"
"Moon is part of Mars is going to lead to moon truthers and Qanon people joining forces."
Comments:
The sad thing is that because of this tweet, now over 40% of the US population believes the moon is a part of Mars...and will now obsessively defend this position here and elsewhere.
Lindsey Graham quickly agreed and William Barr has threatened to prosecute any astronomer who says the moon is not part of Mars.
Everyone knows that the Moon hides within Mars during the day. The Moon only comes out at night. Sheesh!
Omg 😲

Part of tRump's best people :laughing-rolling:
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

It's weird, but those helmets with the ends of brooms stuck on the top remind me of trump's hair.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:31 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:44 pm
Comments:
Omg 😲

Part of tRump's best people :laughing-rolling:

It stands to reason that if Bugs and Daffy can reach Mars and have the video to prove it, Americans should be able to do the same.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Hey, that's Marvin the Martian!
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:04 am
I was referring to the Earthlings who have made the trip. There will be no Martian cred offered here. Besides, it's pretty damn easy for a Martian to get to Mars.

I saw the movie and Daffy most certainly made the trip. trump should have a meeting.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:45 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:04 am
I was referring to the Earthlings who have made the trip. There will be no Martian cred offered here. Besides, it's pretty damn easy for a Martian to get to Mars.

I saw the movie and Daffy most certainly made the trip. trump should have a meeting.
Ah, articulately explained 😏 .

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:58 am
It stands to reason that if Bugs and Daffy can reach Mars and have the video to prove it, Americans should be able to do the same.
Bugs and Daffy ARE Americans, you commie!
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:22 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:58 am
Bugs and Daffy ARE Americans, you commie!
You are correct. All the more reason for trump to have a meeting.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I read a story today that says a football field sized asteroid or otherwise classified space rock has a chance of hitting the Earth in the next few days. I hope this close proximity of Jupiter doesn't up our chances.....I've got plans.