A Florida Man...

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: A Florida Man...

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/10/florida ... -irma.html

It has come to this. A Florida county sheriff's office felt compelled to tell residents not fire weapons at Hurricane Irma after a social media page advocating shooting the storm went viral.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

There are many dumbass Florida men today.
In Palm Beach, a guy in his scuba gear washed up in front of a condo community. Don't know where the hell he came from, and some condo residents helped up over the sea wall.
At a marina somewhere on the west coast, a guy decided to ride out the storm on his boat with his 10 year old son. The cops told him he could stay, but they were taking the kid. I think he gave in.

Plenty of boneheads in Florida today.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

k9nanny wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:26 pm

Plenty of boneheads in Florida today.
Sadly, that's not much different from every day.

O Really
Admiral

The little town that "Seth" claimed to be moving to is pretty much gone.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:15 pm
Who could have ever predicted that?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2458
rstrong wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:28 pm
Seth Milner wrote:I am now officially a Florida man. Sold my Lake Keowee home, closed on a waterside home in Everglades City
Nice. The city was erased (50% of buildings destroyed plus more heavily damaged) by Hurricane Donna in 1960, but a waterside home is a waterside home no matter which side its on.

Florida is one of those states that's forbid officials and scientists to talk about global warming, climate change and sea-level rise. Including the Department of Environmental Protection, the very people who are supposed to deal with it.

But I hear that prayer helps.
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:09 pm
I've been watching the maps on Hurricane Matthew for a few days now. The predicted path keeps drifting west. https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/ ... w?map=5day

Could get worse: https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/ ... p=ensmodel

Seth Milner's new home is currently under a Tropical Storm Watch: https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/ ... map=alerts

Poor Haiti and Cuba, the satellite pic is ugly: https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/ ... ew?map=sat
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:35 pm
JTA wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:17 pm
Hopefully this hurricane causes a meteor to hit my office one night when on one is there so I don't have to go to work.

Fingers crossed.
Tell your boss that you have to help Seth Milner search for wherever his new home blew/floated to.
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:41 pm
Update:
https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/ ... model&MR=1

Rake the east coast of FL including brief landfall at Category 4, make a tight clockwise circle, beeline for Seth Milner's new home.
Seth Milner wrote:Since I'm no longer paranoid over anyone discovering my whereabouts, I'll show you this:
This is the lot I bought to build on; this is an old photo from Google Earth of the original house that used to be there; it was storm damaged from another hurricane and had sat vacant for a number of years before it was torn down....
O Really wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:05 pm
Over the years, I've lived in several different places in Florida. Right now, all but one of them is under mandatory evacuation. Sure am glad I don't own any of them anymore. Beach living does sometimes have its drawbacks. :cry:
Lucky for him his entire BRD "life" was fictional.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

I can see that I'm in the minority here.

My bet is no storm surge in Everglades city and bs from chad the CNN weatherman who once described his set as, " like being on the millimium falcon" claiming that the water returning to the bays that was pushed out of the west coast bays was the surge he had been so excited about.

No chad, it's not the same.
No Rick Scott, everything you said is pretty much bullshit.

The eye would have had to be well out into the gulf to have caused flooding on the west coast. And with all the focus on the fantasy west coast surge they missed warning the people in northeast fla and Georgia of the easily predictable surge.
I sure wish they would stop saying "wall of water", it's more of a mound.
Last edited by billy.pilgrim on Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Oh and btw, Marianna misreporting from Miami for MSNBC is standing in front of freshly planted palm trees that fell down because it looks like damage.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:20 pm

It has come to this. A Florida county sheriff's office felt compelled to tell residents not fire weapons at Hurricane Irma after a social media page advocating shooting the storm went viral.
The hurricane has been downgraded to a category 2. All im saying is, if you put two and two together, it seems like all that shootin' may have helped. It's simple logic.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
You may see 'hoods that you recognize -

Hurricane Irma caused sizable damage in Naples, drone footage shows
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

JTA wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:14 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:20 pm

The hurricane has been downgraded to a category 2. All im saying is, if you put two and two together, it seems like all that shootin' may have helped. It's simple logic.
More like "logic" for simpletons.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:27 am
O Really wrote:
You may see 'hoods that you recognize -

Hurricane Irma caused sizable damage in Naples, drone footage shows
It was hard to tell exactly where that was - a lot of the neighborhoods there look much the same as others, but it's clearly a mess. Naples has many multi-million dollar homes, tall condos, and very substantial houses in many neighborhoods, but it also has some older areas some of which are "over-55" type places that are largely "permanent" mobile home installations as well as some older neighborhoods built before the new construction regs. Our parking space is not downtown and looking at the surge maps it may not be too bad. It's inhabited (at least in winter) mostly by motorcoaches, but there are some 5th wheels too. I saw one pic of a 5th wheel on it's side. A couple of years ago, we were there in a pretty bad storm. We decided to take the car and go find shelter in a parking garage. There were palm fronds and coconuts flying all over (like it was ever a good idea to plant coconut palms in a street median). No damage to our stuff, though. At any rate, the people next to us (from Michigan, I think) said they just stayed in because their coach "could take the wind." :roll: I guess they never saw an 18-wheeler on its side. There were probably quite a few there now with that attitude.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Seth Milner wrote:I am now officially a Florida man. Sold my Lake Keowee home, closed on a waterside home in Everglades City, FL. ...

They're all waterside homes now.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

It's the cops, hide it quick before they see it.

Two men were arrested Wednesday after an officer found a utility pole strapped to the top of a vehicle in Jacksonville,

Apeler told investigators he was moving the pole because it was on the ground close to traffic lanes, according to the report.

A database search found Apeler had 72 scrap metal-related transactions for recycling since January.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/14/2- ... -wake.html

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Miami News Times: Florida Power and Light lobbyists made it illegal to use solar during outages
FPL's lobbying wing has fought hard against letting Floridians power their own homes with solar panels. Thanks to power-company rules, it's impossible across Florida to simply buy a solar panel and power your individual home with it. You are instead legally mandated to connect your panels to your local electric grid.

More egregious, FPL mandates that if the power goes out, your solar-power system must power down along with the rest of the grid, robbing potentially needy people of power during major outages.

"Renewable generator systems connected to the grid without batteries are not a standby power source during an FPL outage," the company's solar-connection rules state. "The system must shut down when FPL's grid shuts down in order to prevent dangerous back feed on FPL's grid. This is required to protect FPL employees who may be working on the grid."
You'd think they could add a switch to disconnect the house from the power lines....
Astoundingly, state rules also mandate that solar customers include a switch that cleanly disconnects their panels from FPL's system while keeping the rest of a home's power lines connected. But during a disaster like the aftermath of Hurricane Irma, FPL customers aren't allowed to simply flip that switch and keep their panels going.

O Really
Admiral

Kinda ironic for a state whose official nickname is "Sunshine State" isn't it?

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Generators shove juice back on to the grid as well. You have to shut off the main breaker. Florida is a shit hole.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

O Really
Admiral

Generators connected directly to house power, if installed correctly, will have an auto-switch that keeps it from interfering with (or being fried by) outside current. Same on my motorhome. If the generator is running and for some unexplained dumb reason I plug into a power source, the generator shuts down.

So I guess if your house is connected solar, it might work the same way?

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

O Really wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:55 am
Generators connected directly to house power, if installed correctly, will have an auto-switch that keeps it from interfering with (or being fried by) outside current.
[...]
So I guess if your house is connected solar, it might work the same way?
Well, sure. But as explained above, that's illegal in Florida.

O Really
Admiral

And yet, FPL claims to be solar-friendly... https://www.fpl.com/clean-energy/solar/community.html
Lyin' dog breaths.