A Florida Man...

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: A Florida Man...

Unread post by O Really »

Seth's ToDo list around his new home town, in addition to fishing and drinking beer ...

Bike/hike the Fakahatchee Strand
Kayak the Turner River
Visit the Panther preserve
Take an airboat ride while they're still there
Boat/'yak around Cape Romano - Ten Thousand Islands Aquatic Preserve
Drive 30 miles up to south Naples to get to a real grocery
Stop off at Lowe's/Home Depot to pick up plywood for the windows if it didn't come with the house

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Seth Milner wrote:I am now officially a Florida man. Sold my Lake Keowee home, closed on a waterside home in Everglades City, FL. Me and Spook are gone.
Wish the wife could have made the trip; but she's got something far better than what I could ever get here. Bye.
Cool man congrats and sorry about the wife :(

Hope you enjoy it. I was down around that way back in May driving down US 41. Neat place. Felt very remote and I loved it.

Enjoy and don't forget BRD.com if they have the internut and 'lectricity down that way.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

I've been watching the maps on Hurricane Matthew for a few days now. The predicted path keeps drifting west. https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/ ... w?map=5day

Could get worse: https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/ ... p=ensmodel

Seth Milner's new home is currently under a Tropical Storm Watch: https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/ ... map=alerts

Poor Haiti and Cuba, the satellite pic is ugly: https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/ ... ew?map=sat
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Hopefully this hurricane causes a meteor to hit my office one night when on one is there so I don't have to go to work.

Fingers crossed.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Tell your boss that you have to help Seth Milner search for wherever his new home blew/floated to.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:[(airboat links)
I know. They've already been banned from the park and the preserve, and now just operate on private property at the edge of the 'Glades. That's why I said Seth should ride one while they're still there. It's quite an experience. Most of the time on a cruise the speed (and noise) is pretty low, but they do feel a need to put the "thrill" part in sometime during the trip. Probably if they had avoided the throttle open part, they'd still have a wider area to be in.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whoa, big change, the models now show Matthew mostly missing NC, circling back, smacking the Bahamas a 2nd time and possibly FL again and who knows where else.
https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/ ... p=ensmodel

Also, back to a category 4 as it passes S. FL.
https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/ ... w?map=5day

If I suddenly disappear for a couple of weeks it's because I'm doing relief work.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Update:
https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/ ... model&MR=1

Rake the east coast of FL including brief landfall at Category 4, make a tight clockwise circle, beeline for Seth Milner's new home.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:Update:
https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/ ... model&MR=1

Rake the east coast of FL including brief landfall at Category 4, make a tight clockwise circle, beeline for Seth Milner's new home.
I see the map in the link, but I think you may be reading it wrong. Commentary with the map still says it's going up the coast. Plus, if it did turn around and head back south I think it would be the first ever to do so. But hey, in a year where Trump is contending for President I guess weird things should be expected.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

That's an average of the ensemble models, but it goes too far into the future to be an actual prediction. Until yesterday it was showing a track (white line) all the way up to eastern Canada. Here's the 5 day forecast:
https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/ ... w?map=5day
It shows the 180, but not the later possible 360.

There was a storm not too long ago that turned and struck twice, but I can't remember the name, year or where it hit.

Here's Nicole, it could hit NC up to NY, but probably won't.
https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/ ... p=ensmodel

Aside: I love WU for this kind of thing, lots of ways of looking at the same storm.
Last edited by Vrede too on Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

"As that analysis maintained, uncertainty about Matthew's course involved projections which included the "loop" scenario. That particular outcome was neither impossible nor a solid weather projection, but it also was not an implausible storm trajectory. Hurricane Ivan (2004), Hurricane Ginger (1971), Hurricane Ginny (1963), and Hurricane Edna (1953) all traversed a loop of some description, whlie Hurricane Easy (1950) executed a turn and hit Florida twice."

http://www.snopes.com/2016/10/05/hurric ... ry-likely/

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Note: I edited above while you were posting.

I would not have thought of checking Snopes for that. :clap:

Ivan was the one I was thinking of. Just before I moved here, y'all still talk about how badly it messed things up here in WNC.

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Violent Brawl at a Miami Chuck E. Cheese (with video)

I have always enjoyed dinner theater, fast food prices would make it even better.
1312. ETTD.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Seth Milner »

Since I'm no longer paranoid over anyone discovering my whereabouts, I'll show you this:
This is the lot I bought to build on; this is an old photo from Google Earth of the original house that used to be there; it was storm damaged from another hurricane and had sat vacant for a number of years before it was torn down. Street view in Google Earth shows the house and the damage is more clear; but space view only shows an empty lot. Thanks for the well wishes, y'all . . . ALL of y'all.

Now, let's clarify something: I was an investigator, and I wasn't being untruthful when I said I was a reporter; I reported to superiors what I investigated.
I worked undercover and my investigations uncovered high-level corruption, money laundering, a car theft ring, and drugs. My wife died because of my work and a price was put on my head. The one who was going to pay for my demise died in prison along with two of his followers in a gang-related brawl late last year. His acquaintances on the outside fled and I got the word that since there was no bounty money, all interest in me was gone. There you have it.

I wish you all a long happy life; Spook and I are going fishing . . . from now on. :wave:
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Seth Milner wrote:Since I'm no longer paranoid over anyone discovering my whereabouts, I'll show you this:
This is the lot I bought to build on; this is an old photo from Google Earth of the original house that used to be there; it was storm damaged from another hurricane and had sat vacant for a number of years before it was torn down. Street view in Google Earth shows the house and the damage is more clear; but space view only shows an empty lot. Thanks for the well wishes, y'all . . . ALL of y'all.

Now, let's clarify something: I was an investigator, and I wasn't being untruthful when I said I was a reporter; I reported to superiors what I investigated.
I worked undercover and my investigations uncovered high-level corruption, money laundering, a car theft ring, and drugs. My wife died because of my work and a price was put on my head. The one who was going to pay for my demise died in prison along with two of his followers in a gang-related brawl late last year. His acquaintances on the outside fled and I got the word that since there was no bounty money, all interest in me was gone. There you have it.

I wish you all a long happy life; Spook and I are going fishing . . . from now on. :wave:

That's terrible man. :(

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Seth Milner wrote:Since I'm no longer paranoid over anyone discovering my whereabouts ...
"no longer"??? You told us that your real name is Seth Miller and gave us your approximate locale early on.
Seth Milner wrote:... Now, let's clarify something: I was an investigator, and I wasn't being untruthful when I said I was a reporter; I reported to superiors what I investigated....
Yes, you did lie, repeatedly, including in knowing for 1 1/2 years that we all believed something that you now claim is not accurate.

http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopi ... ive#p64037
rstrong wrote:
Seth Milner wrote:(Apr 17, 2015:) My career was that of an investigative reporter, I didn't choose where to live, I transferred there, and in practically every move, it was a sacrifice, a sacrifice for me and my family, and a decision as to how much I needed my job.
Seth Milner wrote:(Jul 16, 2015:) Now, for sure, none of this is really my business, but I'm an investigative reporter,...
Seth Milner wrote:(Aug 09, 2015:) I was a nosey s.o.b. in investigative journalism. I was not a well-liked person; hence the pseudonym. It's not uncommon for your local TV news reporters to use names that are not real, as generally, they move around a lot.
etc.
Seth Milner wrote:(Aug 12, 2016:) I was not a "journalist" or even an "investigative reporter" in the sense of the words.
:roll:

Schrödinger's investigative reporter.
http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopi ... ter#p63573
Vrede too wrote:I checked the post. First, that's a dumb distinction. They are synonyms:
journalist
reporter

Or:
Journalism is a broader term that includes all those who are involved in this field whether as an editor, a reporter, anchor, photographers, page designers, graphic artists, and so on.
Or:
A reporter has a more specific function within the realm of journalism.
Or:
A reporter is a type of journalist who researches, writes, and reports on information to present in sources, conduct interviews, engage in research, and make reports.

All reporters are journalists. I was perfectly correct to call you a journalist.

You fail English . . . again, and even fail your own profession.

Then, you haven't complained in over a year. Anyone can search "investigative" and see for themselves. Plus, there's my very first mention of it:
Seth Milner wrote:
Now that's a first! Thank you and you're welcome.
I get that you were desperate for some comeback, but you fail smack talk . . . again.
And, no one had ever asked you about your career. You volunteered a lie for some childish conversational advantage. No wonder you got tripped up in your lies. So, I have zero reason to believe the rest of today's post.

What a tangled web we weave . . .
1312. ETTD.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Seth Milner »

My real name is Seth Miller; but it's not the name I used while working, for obvious reasons. Yes, I told a few untruths, for obvious reasons. You're free to believe what you wish; it makes no difference now.

Just can't pull one over on 'ol Vrede, huh? :D
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

O Really
Admiral

I'll offer a few unsolicited comments, Seth - take it as you will.
Congratulations on your new digs. It is a fun area down there, particularly for somebody who likes to fish.
Hopefully they will have discovered internet by the time you get there, and we'll continue to enjoy your participation in the forum.
In a forum such as this one, nobody really cares much whether your persona story and your real life story are the same. What they do care about is that the "person" they get to know in the forum seems believable. Because in this type of forum, unlike the totally anonymous comments sections of places, people do develop relationships similar to real ones. Friends, enemies, frenemies, respect, disdain...all the parts of relationships IRL. But when a participant changes their story, they lose credibility in the game.

But if your real story is the one told above, I'm sorry about your wife and glad you're no longer in danger. Enjoy SW Florida and get started on the to-do list I posted for you.

O Really
Admiral

More illiterate headlines...

Rob Found Out Kim Was Robbed at His Baby Shower

Police shoot man with machete