A Florida Man...

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Re: A Florida Maneater...

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Looks like possible video shenanigans to me.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

If so, bad ABC.

Different video, different gator?, same Circle B Bar Reserve:

Gator eating Gator
Last edited by Vrede too on Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Boatrocker wrote:

I agree. I think the largest is around Miami somewhrre. Seems like he was on th ed news last year.

In any case, even the big ones can outrun you for about 30 ft

Edit
Palmetto Fla
Snopes has this as true

http://www.snopes.com/giant-alligator-florida-golf/
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Boatrocker wrote:

I agree. I think the largest is around Miami somewhrre. Seems like he was on th ed news last year.

In any case, even the big ones can outrun you for about 30 ft

Edit
Palmetto Fla
Snopes has this as true

http://www.snopes.com/giant-alligator-florida-golf/
THought it looked familiar. And the grass didn't move, and the shadow looked wrong for the background.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

O Really
Admiral

Re: A Florida Man...

Unread post by O Really »

I can vouch for the fact that in the wild and somewhat unexpected a 12ish foot gator looks YUGE. In at least one case in the Okefenokee, I know his length because he was slightly longer than my 12-foot 'yak. In another in the Bird Rookery Swamp, it was about two and a half bike lengths. Still, you can do a lot with a camera and creative perspective.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Saw that in the comments, not that I have an opinion or give a croc either way. A response there:
Look carefully dude. The branch moves when he comes out of the grass and the grass moves when he walks into it.
Plus, the angle doesn't show us whether it's walking on a trail or through undisturbed grass. I don't see a problem with the shadow. What do you see?
Last edited by Vrede too on Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:I can vouch for the fact that in the wild and somewhat unexpected a 12ish foot gator looks YUGE. In at least one case in the Okefenokee, I know his length because he was slightly longer than my 12-foot 'yak. In another in the Bird Rookery Swamp, it was about two and a half bike lengths. Still, you can do a lot with a camera and creative perspective.

When I lived in Floral City we were on the Withlacoochee taking it easy half asleep in the late afternoon after paddling all day when the front of the canoe rose up - seemed like more, but probably about a foot. He may have been sleeping too.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Not proof, but a bit more credible with a name attached and for having been posted to the Reserve's NSAbook page.
Massive Alligator Strolls Casually Past Florida Tourists

... Video of the encounter was posted on the Polk Nature Discovery Center Facebook page on Sunday by witness Kim Joiner.

"He was the biggest gators I have seen out there. I have been going out there for years too," Joiner wrote....
The thing I wonder about is how the viewers knew that it was going to cross.
Last edited by Vrede too on Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote: The thing I wonder about is how the viewers knew that it was going to cross.
Lots of stuff gets recorded because so many people run their vid cameras all the time or at least become very proficient at the quick draw of it. Wouldn't have had to know it was coming.

They've been playing the story on local news, though. Seems legit. Actually, we're going up to the Lakeland area for something else anyway. I think we'll go out to the preserve and see if we can see the beast.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

That could be true of the videographer we're watching, but there are the 4 other visitors on the other side of the gator that were already in position for it to cross the trail. If not faked, there was some way that they knew. Perhaps it has some routine that covers enough distance that one can wait, spot it coming and get set up.

Take a tape measure, please. :D The article says, "The gator, spotted at Circle B Bar Reserve in Lakeland, appeared to be about 12 feet long," and I estimate 11 or 12 feet based on mentally lying the standing viewer down across the trail. Maybe before or after it passes you or Ms. O Really could actually lie down there without revealing your faces and you could share the pic and your height.

The Circle B Bar Reserve in Lakeland is not too far from billy.pilgrim's link, the Buffalo Creek Golf Club in Palmetto.

Gatorsaurus Rex
Large reptiles strolling around links are not an unusual sight in the Sunshine State.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

According to local news, the Circle B preserve is having a record surge in visitors, prompting concern by the rangers since numerous people are doing stupid things. Like walking out into the swamp to try to find the big fellow. Like packing in food for "bait." Seemed a better idea to do something else, so we rode the Van Fleet trail, described as...

"The General James A. Van Fleet State Trail is officially designated as part of Florida's Statewide System of Greenways and Trails and is one of Florida's most rural, paved rail-trails. Also designated as a National Recreation Trail®, the Van Fleet State Trail runs through the Green Swamp, the headwaters for some of Florida's most popular paddling destinations including the Withlacoochee, Hillsborough and Peace rivers. Landscapes include the river swamp, bottomland forest, pine flatwoods, former citrus lands and cattle ranches. With only one curve in its 29.2 miles, you can choose to go slow and view the wildlife or enjoy it at a brisk pace. An equestrian trail parallels the length of the paved path. The trail has excellent wildlife viewing opportunities, especially between Green Pond Road and Bay Lake Road."

It was spectacular.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: A Florida Cop...

1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Must be a liberal.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Alligator drags golfer into pond, gets foiled by putter; (with video)

“As I was walking about 5-to-6 feet away from the water, I heard a splash, and as soon as I seen that splash I knew it was an alligator,” ....
“I jumped, but he had me.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Florida man's book burning sparks wildfire, destroys homes: officials

Paperback books can be recycled, sold to a used book store or given to a thrift store or library. It's not like he was saving trash fees.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:Paperback books can be recycled, sold to a used book store or given to a thrift store or library. It's not like he was saving trash fees.
Think of all the Trumpsuckers who bought The Art of the Deal before the election and are now having Trump Regrets. The Thrift Stores are going to be packed!

(Luckily the Trumpsuckers don't know about books stores and libraries.)

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

I wonder if they'll print a correction regarding the lack of a deal - even with his own party - on healthcare.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

rstrong wrote:
Vrede too wrote:Paperback books can be recycled, sold to a used book store or given to a thrift store or library. It's not like he was saving trash fees.
Think of all the Trumpsuckers who bought The Art of the Deal before the election and are now having Trump Regrets. The Thrift Stores are going to be packed!

(Luckily the Trumpsuckers don't know about books stores and libraries.)
When I lived and worked in Georgia, for 7 years back in the godless 80s, I often sat at my drawing board at lunch, reading a book (no internet back then). On more than one occasion, some booger-eating Georgia cracker would wander thru Engineering, see me, and ask, "Whut the hell are you doin?"
"Reading," I replied.
An incredulous "Why?" was the most common follow-up question.
I usually just said, "You wouldn't understand."

Bill Hicks had a routine about being caught reading in the South.

EDIT ADD:
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.