A Florida Man...

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
rstrong
Captain

Re: A Florida Man...

Unread post by rstrong »

I'm just glad that my mom used to take us kids to the library to get books. We discovered the enjoyment of reading, as opposed to merely learning how to read.

I'm especially glad that I reading novels before junior high. Otherwise I may never had read a novel after that.

Junior high taught students to loathe reading. Take a deservedly unknown novel. Dissect it paragraph by paragraph at a rate of a page or two an hour, writing down any imaginary meaning that pops into the teacher's deranged head. NO READING AHEAD ALLOWED. Continue this death-march week after week. NO READING AHEAD ALLOWED! Then, just as a plot starts to appear, the books are taken away because that's all the time we have for that. No finding out the ending, or the point of the book.

I understand people who don't see enjoyment in reading. It's something horrific that was done to them.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Boatrocker wrote:When I lived and worked in Georgia, for 7 years back in the godless 80s, I often sat at my drawing board at lunch, reading a book (no internet back then). On more than one occasion, some booger-eating Georgia cracker would wander thru Engineering, see me, and ask, "Whut the hell are you doin?"
"Reading," I replied.
An incredulous "Why?" was the most common follow-up question.
I usually just said, "You wouldn't understand."

Bill Hicks had a routine about being caught reading in the South.

EDIT ADD:
Thanks for the video, I got bored halfway through what you wrote. ;)
rstrong wrote:I wonder if they'll print a correction regarding the lack of a deal - even with his own party - on healthcare.
Trump The Art of the No Deal
"Instant Delivery" - I ordered it and went to the door but it wasn't there. So, I canceled my order.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/2017/No-ma ... 1b477c5b47

I'm not 100% sure that pols are people, but this is one dumbass state senator.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

billy.pilgrim wrote:http://www.apnewsarchive.com/2017/No-ma ... 1b477c5b47

Seems to me that whatever we may think of the members of the US Congress, it's the statehouses of Amurka that have the highest concentration of puredamn dumbfuckery, assholery, wingnuttery and vague, unsuppressed rage. Amurkans- especially in the southern/rural states- are sending some people to their statehouses who (if there was any adult supervision) would not be allowed to walk around without a leash and a muzzle.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

They certainly shouldn't be allowed to breed, fershure.

A lot of the problem is that there are very few real statesmen (statespersons?) anymore. And those that, in their private lives, might be rational people just go along with whatever some nut job in their party comes up with. Like all the revenge bills against Asheville. Used to be people in Charlotte, Greensboro, wherever, would recognize that what happens to Asheville could happen to them, so they would vote no. Now, they just check to see if it was a Repugnant who filed the bill, and vote yes. The reason the NC Legislature worked so well for so long wasn't because they were mostly Democrats. It was because even with the Democratic party there was a range of ideology and interests. But to get something passed a member had to actually engage in (gasp) politics - and get some support across the board. Members are going along with stuff now that they know is crazy, but they run a greater risk inside the party for opposing than they do in their gerrymandered district for voting for the craziness.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Boatrocker wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:http://www.apnewsarchive.com/2017/No-ma ... 1b477c5b47

Seems to me that whatever we may think of the members of the US Congress, it's the statehouses of Amurka that have the highest concentration of puredamn dumbfuckery, assholery, wingnuttery and vague, unsuppressed rage. Amurkans- especially in the southern/rural states- are sending some people to their statehouses who (if there was any adult supervision) would not be allowed to walk around without a leash and a muzzle.

exactly why so much Koch money and ALEC legislation has been more and more concentrated downstream during the past 10 years. while the media follows all the pretty colors and dancing balls in DC, all manner of craziness goes on in many of the statehouses and city halls where there are bundles of taxpayer monies for sports team owners, factory owners and any other trumplike billionaire in exchange for some state rep, or county councilman having the chance to rub elbows with the big boys. passing the laws that ALEC wrote and handed them is no problem.

oops, he found the door

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/miami- ... li=BBnb7Kz
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

I'm thinking about heading down to the Crystal River area for a few days in late may. Thinking about kayaking around Crystal River, camping at Rainbow Springs one night, Manatee Springs another.

Vrede, I know you were down this area. Worth the visit?
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

A year and 3 weeks ago:
Vrede too wrote:Cumberland Island, GA - 9-10 mile walk through the estate, up the beach (swam), back on an inland scrub trail, surprisingly few people once a mile away from the ferry landings. Carried a tracker along with many others for a grad student working on day usage patterns. Told him we'd be an outlier when we turned it back in.

O'Leno S.P., FL - Way cool for a day hike, the Santa Fe river disappears!

10 mile Suwanee River canoe paddle from Anderson to Manatee Springs - Paddled right over a manatee (rare in late March) at Fanning Springs S.P. then hung out with it for a bit, couple of gators, bald eagle. Big, flat, developed river for my tastes, but a good first splash and the south side is mostly Andrews Wildlife Mgmt. Area - took a walk there after the paddle.

Cedar Key, FL - Meh, not so great, 3 short walks, nice-ish museum featuring John Muir.

Lower Suwanee National Wildlife Refuge - Shell Mound Trail, Nature Drive, very cool River Trail.

Manatee Springs S.P., FL - North End Trail is nice.

Peacock Springs S.P., FL - Very nice short loop trail with fascinating trailside info. on cave divers. Maniacs!

Stephen C. Foster S.P., FL - Permanent crafts demos., weekend old tractor demo./fair. Good Upper Suwanee River hike. Odd place though - Big park, grandiose memorial, but Foster was only south of the Mason-Dixon line once in his life and that was a month long trip to New Orleans. All he did was write "Swanee River" and we were told it was originally about the Peedee River, anyhow.

Had a tire tread separate like a recap (but not blow :-0?> ), it trashed my fender, broken jack but did have a spare (not a donut), called for a roadside tire change and mickey mouse fix of the fender (all insured), lost less than 1 1/2 hours.

Okefenokee Swamp - Hundreds of gators and tons of cool birds, of course. The nights were cool-ish, I actually had to put on long pants and a long sleeve shirt, horrors!

I was offline, brother printed the overnight camping permits, screwed up by not entering 4 people rather than 1. Robotic FWS Ranger essentially said, "Tough shit, the computer is God, nothing can be fixed on a weekend." We played 'good brother/bad brother (me)' with her for awhile to no avail. I asked to speak with a supervisor - "Can't be done unless someone dies." I threatened to kill my brother :D and told her she is why people detest bureaucracies. Went to Okefenokee Adventures to get boats for, sadly, day trips only. Mentioned being screwed by a minor computer glitch to the owner, Joy - the platforms were still mine and mine only for 2 nights, but they would have ticketed the rest including my 13 year old nephew. She got on the phone with, of course, the "unreachable" FWS Ranger supervisor (on a fire in TN), left credit card number with her for the computer person to fix on Monday. Joy brought joy.

Day paddle (had always planned on it) to Cedar Hammock and Mizzell Prarie, sand hill cranes. Brother dropped his camera in the water, went swimming for it ("Don't tell the wife!"), found it but first found a nice, still working, heavy duty flashlight. Score. Haven't asked whether the camera survived yet.

8 mile paddle to Monkey Island, set up camp, another 1/2 mile to Buzzard Roost Lake. Had a wood stork hang out just feet from the boardwalk.
13 mile paddle to Canal Run, set up camp, another 5 1/2 miles exploring with empty boats, amazed at my nephew's stamina.
10 mile paddle out, drove home without breaking any more of my SUV.

Someday:
Traverse Okefenokee, NE to westside.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

JTA wrote:I'm thinking about heading down to the Crystal River area for a few days in late may. Thinking about kayaking around Crystal River, camping at Rainbow Springs one night, Manatee Springs another.

Vrede, I know you were down this area. Worth the visit?
Rainbow Springs, fershure, and Manatee Springs is good too, because it's right on the Suwanee. Rainbow River is crystal clear with lots of sinkholes, smaller springs, big fish, lots of turtles, birds, etc. and a generally beautiful paddle. Check your map before going to Rainbow, though. The campground isn't where the main park entrance is.

Reservations recommended for all those parks, though.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

A N. FL file I saved, mostly info. from folks here:

O Really:
You could float the Ichetucknee - a bit touristy but fun. But I'd highly recommend taking your boat on the Silver River out of Silver Springs State Park in Ocala (2.25 hours).
https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Silver-Springs
Beautiful clear river, and you can pull in along the way and watch the wild population of monkeys. It's not a remote type river though, but after a couple of days in Okefenokee you might have enjoyed all the remote you can stand. Lady O Really and I were out in Okefenokee one day and wandered up a tributary until we were seeing alligators longer than our 12-foot 'yaks. Good time to turn around. Also, in the spring, the 'gators are wandering all over the place with their little ones. If you're taking your bike, one of the best rail/trails is the Hawthorne, starting in Gainesville and going across Paines Prarie. Any of the state parks have pretty walks, but there aren't many places that would be called a real hike, though.
You'll want to take the A1A drive up from north of Jax past the Talbots on up to Amelia Island and Fernandina Beach. Really pretty drive, lots of beach, good food and drink.
Talbots, Fernandina, and American are all one trip. Depending on traffic, it's less than an hour from Jax all the way to Fernandina. I haven't been to American in years, but it used to be largely populated by people who don't need to work on their tans.
St. Augustine.
Touristy and can be crowded, but hey - it's Florida. Old city (oldest in US) is interesting, along with the Fort. At least it's real, about the only thing left in Florida that's real history and not plastic. Don't miss the Conch House http://conch-house.com/ sit out on the deck by the water, drink margaritas, eat seafood. What else could one ask of a vacation - or life itself? Jax is more of a business town, but there's decent night life out at the beaches. It's not South Beach, but then nothing else is South Beach, either. ;) Golf Mecca around there, if you play.

Whether you're a rider or not, you'd enjoy the beach ride from Seahorse Ranch .. http://www.kellyranchinc.net/
It's been there for 40 years or so, although with different owners, and provides a really good ride along the beach.

Atlantic Coast places - Fernandina, Cumberland Island, Talbots.
Cumberland Island
http://www.nps.gov/cuis/index.htm

billy.pilgrim:
Edward Ball Wakulla Springs State Park
https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Wakulla-Springs
http://www.visitwakulla.com/Things-to-D ... State-Park
3.25 hours to Okefenokee
Don't forget, if you are in the Medart/Paneca area - the best soft shell crab anywhere - Huttons
Also the drive along 98 to Carrabelle is one of the most scenic in fla (way west)
Check out American Beach - north of Jacksonville
Check out the Paneca to carabelle area
or the St. Marks area - closer
Or Aligator point

JTA:
St. Joseph Bay
http://www.visitgulf.com/article/our-grass-is-greener
https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/St-Joseph
Nothing short of amazing! One of the best camping excursions I've ever had. Your mind will be blown to bits in a good way. I felt the stars staring back into me that night man. Never felt that before. And holy shit the sunset.
It was campsite #2 at St Joseph by wilderness preserve. Site #3 is also a good one, as is the one at the very end of the peninisula, but that ones a 7 mile hike. Mine was only about 1.5 - 2 miles to hike to.
A friend and I are gonna go this summer but were gonna canoe in instead and snorkel for some seafood.
Pics - http://imgur.com/a/11CSN

Manatee Springs State Park (3 hours from Okefenokee)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manatee_S ... State_Park

Tide Swamp Wildlife Management Area
http://www.recreationparks.net/FL/taylo ... einhatchee

O Really:
Manatee Springs is a great park. On the Suwanee, good paddling, yada. But if you want to actually see manatees, they're at Blue Springs. Stephen Foster (Florida https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Stephen-Foster ) is a great park too - and closer to Okefenoke.

GoCubsGo:
Crystal River is also a great place to see manatees.
Crystal River Archaeological State Park
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_R ... State_Park
Crystal River
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_R ... Florida%29
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Did the hiking thread get converted to crazy florida people

I did a lot of canoeing on the Withlacoochee and in the Tsala Apopka swamp area around Inverness and Floral City.

Very few - maybe no tourists in the sections of the river upstream from the Cross Florida Barge Canal.

The river runs north from the green swamp. We would put in near Nobel ton or at highway 48 and usually get out at highway 44, but the is good canoeing above 44.

When I lived there the Canadian and Swedish Olympic kayak teams winter trained in the Tsala Apopka due to perfectly flat water and wind blocked by trees. It was embarrassing the way they would pass me.

O Really
Admiral

It's not a "Florida man" story, but the headline says "Mysterious space plane lands in Florida." Nope. Nothing close to mysterious about the plane as to what it was, who owned it or whether it was piloted by aliens. The mission of the unmanned Air Force craft is not public information, therefore "mysterious." Headline probably written by one of those infamous "Florida men."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/wonder/m ... ?ocid=iehp

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

As long as there is at least one major mystery about it, isn't "Mysterious space plane" accurate? I, for one, would like to know. Military intelligence gathering is one thing but, for example, I would not be happy with spying on civvies or preparations for illegal space war.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:As long as there is at least one major mystery about it, isn't "Mysterious space plane" accurate? I, for one, would like to know. Military intelligence gathering is one thing but, for example, I would not be happy with spying on civvies or preparations for illegal space war.
I'm pretty sure some people in the Air Force know what it's doing, so it's not a mystery. It's just undisclosed to the public. May be splitting hairs again, but I think it was a bad headline, put out simply as click-bait.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Guess it got you to click.

If the author and editor know whodunit, does that means it's not a mystery novel? :P

'Undisclosed to the public space plane lands in Florida' would have been even less accurate. We've known about it for 2 years and the sonic boom blew the nondisclosure, anyhow.

Damn, I love language.
Last edited by Vrede too on Tue May 09, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Some accounts used the term "secret" or "secretive."
I like this one... http://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/ ... ce-center/

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Not A Florida Woman...

Alleged DUI Driver Found With Pet Lizard In Her Bra After Crashing Mercedes: Cops

To be fair, lots of women that anticipate being in the same room with Trump employ the same counter measure.

This thread because of this comment set:
Imagine my surprise when I realized that this DIDN'T happen in Florida.
HAHAHAH THAT'S WHAT I SAID!!!
She probably just relocated.
Heh, i was only going to read far enough to find out what city in Florida this happend in.
It does it does sound like something that would happen there
Other comments:
So, why the lizard was arrested?
He was double parked in an erogenous zone.
She sounds like a fun gurl.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Tattooed 'Joker' Arrested for Pointing Loaded Gun at Passing Cars: Cops

"His facial markings include the word “Joker” emblazoned on his forehead." Seems redundant to me.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:Tattooed 'Joker' Arrested for Pointing Loaded Gun at Passing Cars: Cops

"His facial markings include the word “Joker” emblazoned on his forehead." Seems redundant to me.

"Sullivan, who gave his occupation as tattoo model, is being held in lieu of $5,000 bail, according to online records."

Strange. He is pointing a gun at people, but only arrested for a concealed weapon.

Reckon he got points for his birth skin color?

He speaks too.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Miam ... 74934.html