While Vrede is Away

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: While Vrede is Away

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
We don't know how much we spend on disasters, and that needs to change

In the days after Hurricane Matthew made landfall on Oct. 8, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) distributed 6 million meals, 1.1 million gallons of water and 87,000 blankets, providing a critical lifeline to residents of Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina.

But as with any disaster, meeting these immediate needs is only the beginning of many millions of dollars of federal assistance over months and years to state and local governments, tribes, businesses and individuals in the affected states.

Over the past two decades, FEMA has seen a 212 percent increase in its Public Assistance Grant Program, the largest source of federal disaster assistance to state and local governments, from an annual average of $1.8 billion from 1996 to 2005 to $5.5 billion per year from 2006 to 2015. But these dollar figures are just the tip of the iceberg and do not include what other federal agencies — including the Departments of Defense, Health and Human Services, and Housing and Urban Development — have spent on disaster response, recovery and mitigation.

A Government Accountability Office (GAO) report in September put the average annual total of federal disaster spending in recent years at $27.7 billion, spread across 17 departments and agencies that play a role in response or recovery. This report provides a first-of-its-kind comprehensive look at federal disaster expenditures but tells only part of the story. The amount of state and local government investment in disaster relief and mitigation, a key part of the funding picture, remains unknown.

In fact, a complete tally of total public disaster-related spending in the United States does not exist....

Reining in the costs of future natural disasters effectively will require a hard look at how disaster-related money is being spent and whether there is appropriate investment in activities that could reduce the costs of future disasters. A 2005 study by the National Institute of Building Sciences reviewed 10 years of federal government spending on hazard mitigation for earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes and floods and found that every dollar spent in preparing for these types of disasters saved roughly $4 in recovery costs.

And yet, federal funding has not followed evidence that investments in disaster mitigation could reduce total spending over the long run. For example, in fiscal year 2016, Congress appropriated $7 billion to FEMA's Disaster Relief Fund primarily for response and recovery, but only $100 million for the Pre-Disaster Mitigation Fund to limit the severity of damages from a future natural disaster....

In am 100% behind helping people after disasters, but the many I have seen are more about throwing money at large corporations than about helping people. Naomi Klein discusses disaster capitalism in her book Shock Doctrine.

I've seen the multilevel cleanup contracts, that screw the little man who performs the cleanup and enriches the haliburton types who are awarded the contract and each of its subsidiaries it sells the contract to and each of the subsequent levels of profits for these resellers of the FEMA contract until only out of work beggars do the work for pennies on the dollar.

and those damn MRIs. I wonder how much that crap costs. Community kitchens work so much better. The first thing after a storm (if you still have a house but no electricity) is to cook from the refrigerator and then from the freezer. We also have block parties and BBQs.

and those damn MRIs must cost $20.00 for absolutely nasty food. a few cans of spam and some beans would make more sense.

My hurricane experience includes, but is by far not limited to, 16 August no electricity days with my 8+ months pregnant wife and a lost house after an October storm the same year. After a storm, county officials become camera hungry morons, cops enforce any new rule they can come up with as long as double time overtime is involved and the only looting comes at the hands of the cops and the out of state power companies entering homes at will while the owners are kept behind barricades.

MRI story - I occasionally use day labor. Two years after Opel, these day worker/drunks were still eating MRIs and speculating on why the government keeps the recipe secret for these fantastic meals.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

I've heard that MREs are better than they used to be, but haven't had the "pleasure" of finding out.

Medically we had far more resources than were needed for what we did. It was more like a paid vacation than "work" to me. But, I'm coming from the perspective of having done decades of activist 1st aid in funky tents and there has to be some overkill for how bad things could be. I don't really know what the fix is, above my pay grade, and any scaling back will likely hit the most vulnerable and needy the hardest, as is always the case.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:I've heard that MREs are better than they used to be, but haven't had the "pleasure" of finding out.

Medically we had far more resources than were needed for what we did. It was more like a paid vacation than "work" to me. But, I'm coming from the perspective of having done decades of activist 1st aid in funky tents and there has to be some overkill for how bad things could be. I don't really know what the fix is, above my pay grade, and any scaling back will likely hit the most vulnerable and needy the hardest, as is always the case.

what sense does it make to pay haliburton $125/cu yard to remove debris? you can buy concrete for $90 and have it delivered. Trash is more like the $15 or $20 per yard. The same that haliburton leaves after they scrape off the top 85%.

Most of the relief money goes for double time to cops and to local governments. The people who were harmed get very little or nothing
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:... what sense does it make to pay haliburton _____?
Ah, the beginning of so very many discussions.

Forgot to mention that while we nurses and paramedics drove there and worked for several days or more they were mostly flying in doctors for single shifts.

I did see lots of excess, mostly idle police presence.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:... what sense does it make to pay haliburton _____?
Ah, the beginning of so very many discussions.

Forgot to mention that while we nurses and paramedics drove there and worked for several days or more they were mostly flying in doctors for single shifts.

I did see lots of excess, mostly idle police presence.

how much sense does this make

after Ivan the county cleared the roads to the hotels and stopped at the edge of the residential area. For two weeks only cops and out of state utility workers were allowed into the residential area, but the nearby hotels (also without water and electricity) were occupied by minorities who didn't speak a lot of English.

after 2 weeks and for the next 4 months the cops occupied a 15 man tent city at the beginning of the residential area refusing entry to anyone except property owners. Owners would have to stop cleanup to meet their workers in person at the cop stop. or not - depending on which group was on duty.

they let my 3 man concrete crew at nearly dark with an empty pickup in to give me an estimate, but 3 days later while I was desperately running around with last minute chores before the concrete was delivered the same crew with the truck bed filled high with concrete tools was denied entry until I heard my phone and drove to the cop stop. same again when the concrete truck showed up

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Anniston's Center for Domestic Preparedness exposed 9,700 first responders to toxic ricin

Yikes, I'm glad that I didn't go. It was being discussed a year ago but similar training was organized here, instead.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too on Oct 15, 2016 wrote:4:35 King's BBQ:

Flooding in Kinston (Final)

Our set-up in a church parking lot - triage in the tent, 5 bed ER in the connected trailer behind it:

No CT, but we've got pharmacy, ultrasound, lab & x-ray. We've intubated, seen MIs and saved other critical patients.
Trump's Response To Disaster Relief Raises Alarms

"The Trump administration had denied more than 99 percent of the aid Cooper sought, providing the state a mere $6.1 million."

Trump is costing us about $10 million per month in travel costs, mostly for golfing in FL, and is on pace to exceed Obama's 8 year travel costs in just his first year. Disgusting. Oh well, at least the flood victims can wave (or whatever) at Air Force One as it routinely passes overhead.
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Vrede too wrote:Trump is costing us about $10 million per month in travel costs, mostly for golfing in FL, and is on pace to exceed Obama's 8 year travel costs in just his first year. Disgusting. Oh well, at least the flood victims can wave (or whatever) at Air Force One as it routinely passes overhead.
Not trying to be mean, here, but how many of those affected folks would you say are trumphole supporters, soon to be blaming this on Obama.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Boatrocker wrote:Not trying to be mean, here, but how many of those affected folks would you say are trumphole supporters, soon to be blaming this on Obama.
About 1/2.
Vrede too on Oct 20, 2016 wrote:
O Really wrote:You didn't rescue any Trump voters down there, did you?
Hard to say.

Lenoir County is 56.47% White, 40.43% Black or African American.
Kinston is 67.7% Black, 27.8% White.
I saw more white patients than either ratio, might be a southside of the river thing.
Kinston's mayor is GOP, its US Rep is Dem and Lenoir County's other US Rep is GOP.

Our mobile ER was set up at Southwood Memorial Christian Church. The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) sounds more liberal than the Baptists.

We'll have to see how Lenoir County votes to see whether I provided aid and comfort to the enemy.
In the 2016 federal races the Republican got between 50.78% and 56.31% in Lenoir County.
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Against my better judgement (and my preference) I will likely be accompanying the wifey to a family reunion over Memorial Day weekend. I've been studying up on the asinine emails and FB posts made in the last year or so, and I'm sure the temptation to stir it up will be overwhelming, if only in self-defense. I NEVER start the shit, but once they decide to fling some my way, I take it as an invitation to gear up and return fire. Last time someone dared me to pass that email around- if it really existed- I did; forwarded to several different in-law assholes. I wasn't banned from family gatherings, but I have not been challenged again to show electronic proof or their racism, misogyny, pompous baptist dumbassery or deep ignorance of civics, either.
Hopefully, I will still be married come fall.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Fwiw, Lenoir County votes more liberal than where I live and work. So, my norm is rescuing Trump voters.
Boatrocker wrote:... Last time someone dared me to pass that email around- if it really existed- I did ...
What email?
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Vrede too wrote:Fwiw, Lenoir County votes more liberal than where I live and work. So, my norm is rescuing Trump voters.
Boatrocker wrote:... Last time someone dared me to pass that email around- if it really existed- I did ...
What email?
Boatrocker wrote: . . . I've been studying up on the asinine emails and FB posts made in the last year or so, and I'm sure the temptation to stir it up will be overwhelming, if only in self-defense . . . .
I'm still, for some reason, on 2 or 3 email lists for the racist/teabagger/christofascist/trumphole chain emails and bullshit links from RW fake news sites, that some in-laws distribute regularly. Ditto their stupidass FB posts (FB is a goldmine of stupid shit posted by stupid people, for all to see). I have referred to some of those wildass bullshit emails/posts in the past, and been challenged to offer them up as evidence by the dumbass in-law who denied sending it around. I did.
Wingnuts ain't very bright.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Boatrocker wrote:. I wasn't banned from family gatherings...
Try harder.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

O Really wrote:
Boatrocker wrote:. I wasn't banned from family gatherings...
Try harder.
Oh, I have yet begun to try. I'm just trying to stay married.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Hurricane Harvey

Check out the "5 Day Forecast", only about 100 miles of movement up the coast. Ah, I've always wanted to visit south Texas in August. The Gulf water temp. there is 87F, ugh. Gas prices will be going up sharply, shortages are possible.

Edit: The clerk at the stop 'n' rob says gas went up 10 cents just today and that they've been busy.

Unlike with Shrub, at least there's an emergency management pro (and Appalachian State University grad!), Brock Long, running FEMA, but he's barely been in the job 2 months.

Edit: Got bumped to a Category 4 storm as it is coming onshore, 12 foot storm surge, up to 3-5 feet of rain. Crap, we're heading into "historic" territory.
Last edited by Vrede too on Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

I've spent most of my online time today keeping tabs on Harvey. If the models hold, they're looking at rain through Wednesday.
I.Can't.Even.Imagine.

Snakes. Floods in southern flatlands always involve snakes.
And the dogs who will be left to fend for themselves... :cry:
And the old people...

And the farmers. We know firsthand how devastating it is to lose a season's crops to floods.
When the waters come, you're helpless.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:08 pm
... Check out the "5 Day Forecast", only about 100 miles of movement up the coast....
Even less predicted movement now, still a tropical storm through Wed. It may last longer than a Dolt .45 communications director.
k9nanny wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:07 pm
... And the dogs who will be left to fend for themselves... :cry: ...
Hurricane Matthew:
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:39 pm
Vrede too wrote:... I'm going to tithe some of it back. I don't think much of the Red Cross, won't contribute to McCrory's state fund and neither Kinston nor Lenoir County have donation opportunities or links on their websites - a major lapse, I think. So, I read this:

WNC groups help rescue hundreds of animals after hurricane

:( :clap:

I may send Brother Wolf Animal Rescue my tithe unless y'all have better ideas.
Done.
If I'm called this time and if I go, it'll be as a volunteer. Thanks sooo much for the mention of snakes. Gators everywhere, too.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:08 pm
Hurricane Harvey

Check out the "5 Day Forecast", only about 100 miles of movement up the coast....
Even more stationary each time I look, still a Tropical Depression on Thursday! This is like what Hurricane Mitch did to Central America, just stayed and rained and rained and rained.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

k9nanny wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:07 pm
...And the dogs who will be left to fend for themselves... :cry: ...
Asheville's Brother Wolf helps shelter animals endangered by Harvey floods

I'm not involved with a rescue team. If I get called at all it will be to help meet needs in a semi-stabilized situation. No word yet, it'll have to stop raining first.

:-|| :-|| :-|| to all the folks rescuing people and animals.

NASA cameras capture Hurricane Harvey from (the International Space Station)
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I know that we're all seeing the pics and video, but I'm still stunned by these:

Dramatic before-and-after images show Houston underwater
1312. ETTD.