While Vrede is Away

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: While Vrede is Away

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

k9nanny wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:17 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:19 pm
Our Medicare fraud governor is still freaking out about storm surge. I see it in the Keys and even to Lauderdale, but the west coast will have offshore winds.

until the storm passes, then the southwest wind pushes the water onshore.

I worry more and more that they don't have a clue when this thing is going to turn and the gulf is currently at record high temps.
I've been reading all the weather geeks' comments at Weather Underground. It's a minute by minute report.
"It's turned."
"No, that's a wobble."

"Look how she's grown!"
"Yep. The Gulf is her energy drink."

Agreed. I've been in a bunch and of the ones I've seen, the real killer surges come when it moves in a straight line for a long time and is intensified when pushed into a small area.
Dennis was a relatively small storm, but pushed 12 or 15 feet of water into the Big Bend area - y'all probably call it Florida's armpit.
Opal was huge as it came across the gulf in a straight line but fell apart as it came onshore. No wind but 15 feet of water.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:53 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:43 pm
Alternative Harvey donations
Thanks
Alternative Irma donations:
Just weeks after Hurricane Harvey devastated the Houston area, it's heartbreaking to hear about Hurricane Irma and the destruction in Florida and the Caribbean. The storm has already caused significant damage, and it's far from over.1

If you are wondering how you can help the families affected by the storm, here are some suggestions:

1. The Florida community is prepared to respond in a way that leaves no neighborhood behind--local groups like the New Florida Majority and SEIU Florida are encouraging folks outside Florida to donate to the Hurricane Irma Community Recovery Fund.

2. Islands in the Caribbean, including U.S. territories, are in desperate need of help. On islands like Barbuda, a majority of the population is now homeless.2 To help those affected, you can give through Global Giving, as recommended by the New York Times.3 After ensuring emergency response is covered, this fund will shift to longer term reconstruction.

3. You can also support women living in temporary shelters by donating to Support the Girls. They provide pads, tampons, and other feminine hygiene products, so women don't have to choose between their personal health and their next meal.

No amount of help is too little or too much, so please consider giving today.

Thank you,

--Nita, Shaunna, Kat, Karin, Adam, Holly, Kathy, Susan, Anathea, Audine, Shannon, Emma, Pilar, Natalie, Melody, Pam, Lindsay, and Ryan, the UltraViolet team

Sources:

1. Irma now a tropical storm, but still lashing Florida and Georgia, CNN, September 11, 2017

2. Nations rush to help islands devastated by Hurricane Irma, AP, September 8, 2017

3. How to Help Hurricane Irma Victims (and How to Avoid Scams), New York Times, September 8, 2017
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:40 am
k9nanny wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:17 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:19 pm
Our Medicare fraud governor is still freaking out about storm surge. I see it in the Keys and even to Lauderdale, but the west coast will have offshore winds.

until the storm passes, then the southwest wind pushes the water onshore.

I worry more and more that they don't have a clue when this thing is going to turn and the gulf is currently at record high temps.
I've been reading all the weather geeks' comments at Weather Underground. It's a minute by minute report.
"It's turned."
"No, that's a wobble."

"Look how she's grown!"
"Yep. The Gulf is her energy drink."

Agreed. I've been in a bunch and of the ones I've seen, the real killer surges come when it moves in a straight line for a long time and is intensified when pushed into a small area.
Dennis was a relatively small storm, but pushed 12 or 15 feet of water into the Big Bend area - y'all probably call it Florida's armpit.
Opal was huge as it came across the gulf in a straight line but fell apart as it came onshore. No wind but 15 feet of water.
I've learned a lot with Irma.
Charlestown, way east, is underwater. Maybe not technically a surge, but offshore winds are contributing to the mess.

Opal was a major event here, with flooding, and wind so strong I was afraid to go outside.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Charleston is a storm surge, any water that's pushed by the winds from a storm's counterclockwise rotation. That's why it precedes the eye in East Coast Charleston, followed the eye in Gulf Coast Naples. It's also why it's worse for a northbound storm to pass west of Panhandle billy.pilgrim than to pass east of him.

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:59 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:43 pm
Hurricane Jose may do a 180 . . . then 360? ...
:wave:
Every time I check its predicted path is further west, uh-oh.

Meanwhile, Taiwan will be grazed by and China will be smacked by a Cat 3, currently Tropical Storm Talim.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Our "you will die" gutless teabag governor ran away from safety in Tallahassee.
I had wondered why he all of a sudden stopped with his "the surge will kill you" constant pressers until a friend of my son waited on Sunday night at a Pensacola restaurant.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:23 pm
... Meanwhile, Taiwan will be grazed by

Or not.

and China

Or Japan. :crazy:

will be smacked by a Cat 3,

Cat 1

currently Tropical Storm Talim.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:59 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:28 pm
I've been summoned for jury duty 9/27. Would it be wrong of me to root for Irma?

Seriously, I don't mind the civic duty in theory. Doesn't matter, my extensive criminal record (all nonviolent direct action) and ability to coherently string 3 or more sentences together gets me excluded by the prosecution.
Had to serve once in Henderson County, meth case,it sucked. Second time, called the number the night before and got a recording that I didn't have to show.
"Your services are not needed." :thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:28 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:59 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:28 pm
I've been summoned for jury duty 9/27. Would it be wrong of me to root for Irma?

Seriously, I don't mind the civic duty in theory. Doesn't matter, my extensive criminal record (all nonviolent direct action) and ability to coherently string 3 or more sentences together gets me excluded by the prosecution.
Had to serve once in Henderson County, meth case,it sucked. Second time, called the number the night before and got a recording that I didn't have to show.
"Your services are not needed." :thumbup:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.