The Facebook Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
rstrong
Captain

Re: The Facebook Thread

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:01 pm
Korean restaurant ad?
As a Canadian, I'm going to take some of those home with me.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

rstrong wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:31 pm
:thumbup: http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopi ... dog#p82861

I think those chickens are dead. :D
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

A few weeks ago I brought home a 20-piece bucket.

I do feel guilty about everyone on the bus who smelled like KFC for the rest of the day.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

In case you didn't have enough reason to be anti-NSAbook:
Facebook Reportedly Paid For Smear Campaign Against George Soros

In an effort to muffle criticism of how it handled Russian interference and disinformation, Facebook reportedly carried out a campaign to discredit dissenters that included targeted attacks on Jewish billionaire philanthropist George Soros.

A New York Times investigation, published Wednesday, delves into the social media giant’s handling of the controversy and chaos following the discovery of targeted disinformation campaigns. Facebook, facing increasing backlash in Washington, hired Definers Public Affairs, a Republican opposition research firm, to discredit anti-Facebook protesters by linking them to figures like Soros, a longtime critic of the social network, the newspaper reported.

Facebook initially worked with Definers to monitor press coverage of the company, but then expanded the relationship in October 2017, according to the report. The public relations firm then reportedly began promoting negative coverage of Facebook’s rivals, including Apple and Google.

Definers also reportedly targeted Soros after anti-Facebook activists promoted what appeared to be anti-Semitic imagery during a congressional hearing. The firm sent a research document to reporters over the summer alleging that Soros was behind an anti-Facebook movement; his Open Society Foundations, for example, supported a group that his son founded as well as Color of Change, a group that belongs to an anti-Facebook advocacy group called Freedom From Facebook....
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

rstrong wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:31 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:01 pm
Korean restaurant ad?
Heh, if I were a Canadian, I'd probably mosey on down to my neighborhood pot dispensary and give myself a treat.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:20 pm
Heh, if I were a Canadian, I'd probably mosey on down to my neighborhood pot dispensary and give myself a treat.
Then go eat some chicken, moose or dog?
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:55 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:20 pm
Then go eat some chicken, moose or dog?
Uhhhh, I'll have the chicken.....you bet'cha.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Disney CEO Bob Iger: 'Hitler would have loved social media'

Accepting an award for his humanitarian work Wednesday, Disney chairman and CEO Bob Iger attacked social media for its role in spreading hate.

“Hitler would have loved social media," said Iger at the Simon Wiesenthal Center tribute dinner, according to Variety. “It’s the most powerful marketing tool an extremist could ever hope for because by design social media reflects a narrow worldview filtering out anything that challenges our beliefs while constantly validating our convictions and amplifying our deepest fears.”

“It creates a false sense that everyone shares the same opinion,” he continued. “Social media allows evil to prey on troubled minds and lost souls, and we all know that social news feeds can contain more fiction than fact, propagating vile ideology that has no place in a civil society that values human life.” ...
Cool, though ol' Walt Disney was a little bit of a Nazi.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:50 pm
Disney CEO Bob Iger: 'Hitler would have loved social media'

Accepting an award for his humanitarian work Wednesday, Disney chairman and CEO Bob Iger attacked social media for its role in spreading hate.

“Hitler would have loved social media," said Iger at the Simon Wiesenthal Center tribute dinner, according to Variety. “It’s the most powerful marketing tool an extremist could ever hope for because by design social media reflects a narrow worldview filtering out anything that challenges our beliefs while constantly validating our convictions and amplifying our deepest fears.”

“It creates a false sense that everyone shares the same opinion,” he continued. “Social media allows evil to prey on troubled minds and lost souls, and we all know that social news feeds can contain more fiction than fact, propagating vile ideology that has no place in a civil society that values human life.” ...
Cool, though ol' Walt Disney was a little bit of a Nazi.
"Troubled minds and lost souls" he says. I suspect our country will only see an increase in both categories if things keep going the way they are; like if trump is re elected. I think this would tend to give me a troubled mind. And I'm not even on social media other than this. Looks to me like a hell of a lot of folks have social media syphilis (SMS) now and will no doubt develop full blown mind trouble and soul misplacement at minimum.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Facebook event encourages Arizona residents to wash cars during drought to 'guarantee rain will occur'

... A Facebook event called "Everyone In Phoenix Wash Your Cars So The Monsoon Will Arrive," that’s scheduled for August 30-31 hopes to set off "Murphy's Law" to inspire a monsoon and end the drought in Arizona, currently in its 21st year.

On top of washing their cars, the Facebook event encourages "planning a giant outdoor birthday for a three or four year old complete with bouncy house, grilling, and live entertainment."

The creator of the event, Meris Carmichael, explained: "Events like this almost always guarantee rain will occur even if the forecast for the entire week guarantees sunshine and nice temps."

Over 3,000 people have indicated that they will participate in the event, while over 6,000 stand as a maybe.

Carmichael, speaking with AZCentral, said that she created the event to be a tongue-in-cheek way to draw awareness to the weakening of monsoons, and never expected it to begin to go viral....
:D
NWS Phoenix
‏Verified account @NWSPhoenix

Updating a previous graphic from this past week, Phoenix Sky Harbor has moved up to 6th place in the driest Monsoon to date since 1896. This is through the end of today assuming we get no rain before midnight. #azwx

:(
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Saw a picture making rounds on FB of Nancy Pelosi and Obama meeting with Osama Bin Laden (also Condoleeza Rice, I think whoever made it thought she was Michelle Obama). One one picture the photoshopped Osama is wearing a star of David around his neck (the original was Obama meeting with Jewish leaders).

People commenting were real mad that Obama and Pelosi had met with Osama. Proof they're against America.

People are morons.

Edit: just to clarify the pics are all obviously fake.
Last edited by Whack9 on Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Whack9 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:37 am
Saw a picture making rounds on FB of Nancy Pelosi and Obama meeting with Osama Bin Laden (also Condoleeza Rice, I think whoever made it thought she was Michelle Obama). One one picture the photoshopped Osama is wearing a star of David around his neck (the original was Obama meeting with Jewish leaders).

People commenting were real mad that Obama and Pelosi had met with Osama. Proof they're against America.

People are morons.
One of the books I have about the Iraq war has a photo of Donald Rumsfeld shaking hands with Saddam Hussein. And it's a real photo from back in the 80's when Iran and Iraq were at war; the US was on Iraq's side. Now, after Bush's war, Iran and Iraq are great friends and both rejoice in their shared Shia Islamic faith. So tens of thousands die and trillions were spent to establish a situation that is worse for America than the status quo was. Nobody went to jail but many died.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Here's the latest from the Facebook brain trust:

The coronavirus is being purposefully over hyped by the media to hurt the economy and therefore Donald Trump.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:49 pm
Here's the latest from the Facebook brain trust:

The coronavirus is being purposefully over hyped by the media to hurt the economy and therefore Donald Trump.
IMPOSPOTUS and Faux Noise know that they can initiate that kind of stupidity and after that it makes no difference if they flip-flop or even retract. It takes on an immortal life of its own. Works every time.

The cretins don't even hide behind anonymity or obscurity anymore:

Coronavirus truthers prey on the anxiety of the moment

Former Rep. Ron Paul
Former Milwaukee Sheriff David Clarke
Barstool Sports founder Dave Portnoy
Gavin Heavin, the co-founder of the fitness company Curves International
Alex Jones, of course
Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark.
Zhao Lijian of China’s Foreign Ministry
American Conservative Union chairman Matt Schlapp
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

The US has been compared to various parts of the novel "1984" since before, well, 1984. Most of the time it's been a bit of an exaggeration, although not without some basis. But with the current batch of Repugs having such an ability to believe anything, even contradictory items issues by Trump and his propagandists, it comes about as close as you're going to get IRL to parts of "1984"

F'rinstance, Winston Smith explaining "blackwhite":

"The keyword here is blackwhite. Like so many Newspeak words, this word has two mutually contradictory meanings. Applied to an opponent, it means the habit of impudently claiming that black is white, in contradiction of the plain facts. Applied to a Party member, it means a loyal willingness to say that black is white when Party discipline demands this. But it means also the ability to believe that black is white, and more, to know that black is white, and to forget that one has ever believed the contrary. This demands a continuous alteration of the past, made possible by the system of thought which really embraces all the rest, and which is known in Newspeak as doublethink. Doublethink is basically the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them."

And, as neo pointed out regarding Iraq and Iran, Oceanana is allied with Eastasia and is at war with Eurasia, until it's not - at which time it is at war with Eastasia and allied with Eurasia. And has always been at war with Eastasia and allied with Eurasia.

Vote Blue - no matter who!

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Oh snap forgot about this -

Saw a "debate" on FB.

A guy claimed we can't trust the CDC. The coronavirus is a plot by China to take down Trump.

Dude said that the CDC also has a headquarters in Wuhan (apparently, the CDC is an international organization in this man's mind) where incidentally the Coronavirus originated.

They released the engineered virus in order to take down the global economy or something and make trump look bad.

I am not making this up.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:11 pm
Oh snap forgot about this -

Saw a "debate" on FB.

A guy claimed we can't trust the CDC. The coronavirus is a plot by China to take down Trump.

Dude said that the CDC also has a headquarters in Wuhan (apparently, the CDC is an international organization in this man's mind) where incidentally the Coronavirus originated.

They released the engineered virus in order to take down the global economy or something and make trump look bad.

I am not making this up.
Can you find it again and link it? My SiL is a CDC scientist and I've wanted to expose her evil for years :twisted: . Thanks.
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

That being said,

I think there's a fascinating (albeit disturbing) trend of cynicism that spreads throughout social media.

Everything is a conspiracy. There's always some entity pulling the strings behind the scenes (the deep state), always some eternal enemy that needs to be fought and hence requires indefinite mobilization.

I think I read somewhere that the fascist playbook promotes two contradictory facts regarding opponents - the enemy is both weak and inept yet strong and cunning.

People need to have someone or something to blame. They need a concrete foe. An uncaring, unjust, indifferent world is terrifying to them. Bad things cant just happen. They want someone to punish.

Hence Trump tweeting about the "Chinese virus" rather than calling it The coronavirus, which seems to be the name everyone's just kind of gravitated to over the last few weeks. I've literally never heard anyone but Trump refer to it as the China virus.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Whack9 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:23 pm

People need to have someone or something to blame. They need a concrete foe. An uncaring, unjust, indifferent world is terrifying to them. Bad things cant just happen. They want someone to punish.
Well, we have Trump. What else do we need?