The Facebook Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Facebook Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:It's as if the have no substance - it's all slogans, words and bumper stickers. Nothing goes deeper.

As in - how fucking stupid does a repug have to be to think Colbert is a right winger and then to hire him for lil bush's correspondences dinner

but, but he has an American flag
To be fair, at the time Colbert was a more entertaining O'Reilly than O'Reilly ;) , and he wasn't a sexual harasser.

Now, Colbert should pay kickbacks to Dolt .45.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

rstrong wrote:
Vrede too wrote:Bruce Springsteen's Born In The U. S. A. (lyrics) is a good one for that.
"Born in the USA" was co-opted for the election campaigns of Ronald Reagan, Bob Dole and then Pat Buchanan, each time until Springsteen objected. It seems obvious that none ever listened to the lyrics beyond "Born in the USA..."

Reagan's team tried to replace it with John Mellencamp's "Pink Houses" (Ain't that America...) but was turned down.
How Bruce Springsteen's 'Born to Run' Almost Became the 'Unofficial Theme' of New Jersey's Youth
. . . 'cause nothing screams tourism, local pride and pure-damn Chamber of Commerce like,

"Baby, this town rips the bones from your back, it's a death trap,
A suicide rap. We gotta get out while we're young . . . ."

Especially in an time when even middle-aged pols aren't too old to understand the themes and content of rock-n-roll. Stupid, clueless bastards.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I'm surprised some of the idiots haven't tried to co-opt "Allentown," thinking that "...all the union people crawled away" would be a good thing. Dolts and fools.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I always get a kick out of the he-men types at sporting events rocking out to Freddie Mercury's We Are the Champions.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:I always get a kick out of the he-men types at sporting events rocking out to Freddie Mercury's We Are the Champions.
And never recognize the irony in their singing "...no time for losers..." :lol:

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Is s/he/it single?
1312. ETTD.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

JTA wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:30 pm
Predator is 30 years old today.

You're welcome. Yes you're old.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Arnold Schwarzenegger will be 70 years old in July.

You're welcome. Yes you're really old.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

bannination wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:38 pm
... Yes you're old.
San Francisco marks 50 years since legendary Summer of Love

The youngest of the original hippies are on Medicare.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:03 am
bannination wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:38 pm
... Yes you're old.
San Francisco marks 50 years since legendary Summer of Love

The youngest of the original hippies are on Medicare.
On my 3rd year
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Were you a hippie? I was, Rainbow Family Gatherings, etc., though always more of the activist type than the woo-woo type.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

RIP in peace Dale Earnhardt.

homerfobe
Ensign

Unread post by homerfobe »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:56 am
Were you a hippie? I was, Rainbow Family Gatherings, etc., though always more of the activist type than the woo-woo type.
I was invited to join in a gathering back several years ago when this motley bunch of smelly misfits wanted to occupy the Smoky Mountains NP. .(welcome brother, we welcome black people too). I don't recall whether they got permission or not. This little ragged stringy-haired woman who smelled as though she hadn't bathed in a week and lived in an old school bus attempted to entice me into a threesome with her old man. She had more hair on her legs and armpits than I did! Shit no! Anyway, going to your link, I found this, much of what I already knew.
Media coverage of Rainbow Gatherings has been unfavorable since the 1980s when journalists started to describe Rainbow Family members in terms such as "aging hippies", "grown-up flower children", or "middle-aged white folks". (Not entirely true. Most I met were post-teen to latter 30's.) In the 2000s, the media focus shifted to the increase in crime in the local communities closest to Gatherings, ranging from petty crimes like retail theft to violent assaults and serious traffic charges, such as driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Despite the movement's environmentalist and pacifist aspirations, Gatherings, which are typically held in national forests and other ecologically sensitive areas, are known for having a deleterious (harmful) impact on the local environment and participants have developed a reputation for excessive drug and alcohol use, disruptive and criminal activity, and for their cultural appropriation (free or open sex) and misrepresentation of Native American traditions and beliefs. This has resulted in increased police presence at Gatherings and a poor reception from community members and business owners in nearby towns and reservations. In the U.S., these issues are also contributing factors to the decline in attendance at regional and national Gatherings.
Thanks for the memories.
Proudly Telling It Like It Is: In Your Face! Whether You Like It Or Not!

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:

That's what all the rednecks who threw stuff at me called me. 1969 Alabama with hair almost to me waist was an interesting time. Too busy picking and eating mushrooms, growing and smoking pot, and then there was school too. All excuses for my lack of political activism.

After years with a buzz cut I am currently growing hair. Not sure about waist length, but at least a pony tail.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

I'm my fucking hair didn't start falling out I'd still be rocking the long hair too, but I spose I'm gonna have to opt for the stone cold Steve Austin look. :lol:

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

homerfobe wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:57 am
Vrede too wrote:
I was invited to join in a gathering back several years ago when this motley bunch of smelly misfits wanted to occupy the Smoky Mountains NP. .(welcome brother, we welcome black people too). I don't recall whether they got permission or not. This little ragged stringy-haired woman who smelled as though she hadn't bathed in a week and lived in an old school bus attempted to entice me into a threesome with her old man. She had more hair on her legs and armpits than I did! Shit no! Anyway, going to your link, I found this, much of what I already knew.
Media coverage of Rainbow Gatherings has been unfavorable since the 1980s when journalists started to describe Rainbow Family members in terms such as "aging hippies", "grown-up flower children", or "middle-aged white folks". (Not entirely true. Most I met were post-teen to latter 30's.) In the 2000s, the media focus shifted to the increase in crime in the local communities closest to Gatherings, ranging from petty crimes like retail theft to violent assaults and serious traffic charges, such as driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Despite the movement's environmentalist and pacifist aspirations, Gatherings, which are typically held in national forests and other ecologically sensitive areas, are known for having a deleterious (harmful) impact on the local environment and participants have developed a reputation for excessive drug and alcohol use, disruptive and criminal activity, and for their cultural appropriation (free or open sex) and misrepresentation of Native American traditions and beliefs. This has resulted in increased police presence at Gatherings and a poor reception from community members and business owners in nearby towns and reservations. In the U.S., these issues are also contributing factors to the decline in attendance at regional and national Gatherings.
Thanks for the memories.
:lol:

I was invited to one by some polyamorous hippy chick. She looked ok. She hoola hooped and sold trinkets at a flee market. Oddly enough she grew up less than five miles from me in the same shit hole podunk town, and we someone ended up in the same area.