A Trump supporter....

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: A Trump supporter....

Unread post by Vrede too »

Ashley Judd
March 11 at 3:50pm ·

#NoPoliticsHere

I'd like to share with you and experience I had today. It's uncomfortable and scary for me and I have a hunch that some of you have had experiences like it. It may be attempting to put me in a different position as a so called public person, and the reminder is, like all of us, I'm just human and navigating this at times terrifyingly polarized post election climate.

Before I recount the incident, I want to be very clear that I believe something like basketball is a neutral space – actually, it's not neutral. It is unifying. It was a positive place - a time and space in which we come together for a common purpose and with a common love: college basketball and the chance to root for our team, and to be a part of the wacky, unpredictable culture of March Madness. Our memories go deep, the wild stories continue to amaze, and everyone's hopes run so high. We root for the underdog, wait for the upsets, and believe our team can go all the way. I firmly believe college basketball is #NoPoliticsHere space and actually can be a bonding and healing space

An older man with white hair came up to me at my seat today at a basketball game. He said "May I take your picture? I said "Yes." And before I could offer for him to be in the picture with me, 6 inches from my face, he took my picture with his phone. He said "I'm from Big Stone gap." I said, "I love Big Stone Gap! What a beautiful town, I loved making the movie there." I went on to say how good the cooking is, mentioning, of course, the pineapple upside down cake and pumpkin pie!

In my mind I was getting ready to ask him about the national parks and if he ever spends time in especially the Thomas Jefferson National Park – but something inside of me was already clenching and I concluded by simply saying "I like Big Stone Gap. "

He said to me with open hostility as he was backing away, "We like Trump."

Of course, it's very clear now that as I was being friendly and talking, his affect was angry, and he certainly didn't respond in anyway to my general enthusing about his little Appalachian town. And it's also clear that his entire approach to me and aggressive sticking his phone 6 inches in front of my face to take my picture was a part of his plan to treat me with rudeness, aggression, and disrespect. Who knows, maybe he's already done something undignified with the picture or maybe it was just a pretense so he could say something menacing to me.

I feel very sad that this happened, and frankly scared. We absolutely need apolitical spaces in this country where we come together for something that is beyond who voted for whom and the platforms, beliefs, and agendas of respective candidates.

I could've easily retorted to this man, for example, with "Well, I know everything I need to know about you now, Sir, you voted with the KKK."

Or perhaps another shot, such as "Well, I voted with the popular vote which you lost by the widest margin in American history." And dragged in his charming town like he had – "sorry to discover Big Stone gap is full of misogynists like you."

And his "we" in "we like trump-" he's one guy and invoking the royal "we" is a tactic used to intimated. And I could have said, "We? Half the folks didn't vote; and more than half who did voted the other way. Pull out the issues check list and show me who your threatening "we" is, person by person.

But I didn't.

Instead, I turned to my uncle who, by the way, is a Baptist preacher and a Democrat - yes, those things occur in the same person and in the same family, - and said "I need a hug."

Y'all know who I am, what I believe, and what I fight and risk for.

You also know I like college basketball. And in college basketball that's all you'll ever hear me talk about. College basketball. Period.

I ardently hope that the same goes for you and everyone else in America.

I also feel both for myself and everyone else who has both participated in and is on the receiving end of a hostile act like this which seeks to intimidate. It's not nice. I'm so sorry that our public spaces can be like this. Just think about it – whoever would want to run for office with this kind of thinly veiled attack on each other? Good people have no incentive whatsoever to run for office in this country when things like this happen

Where are some of your #NoPoliticsHere spaces, and how do you defend and protect them graciously?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Dumb as a fucking rock

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rawsto ... costs/amp/

Moron trump supporter credits trump care for her son's low insurance cost after he lost his job

A Tennessee woman who backs President Donald Trump credits God and the Republican health care bill — which hasn’t been voted into law — for her family’s dramatically lower insurance costs.

Charla McComic’s son recently lost his job, and his health-insurance premium dropped from $567 per month to $88, which she described as “a blessing from God” and a gift from the new president, reported the Washington Post.

McComic, who attended Trump’s rally this week in Nashville with four family members, told the Post she’s not worried that her 33-year-old son or 3-year-old granddaughter will lose their Medicaid coverage under the GOP plan.

“So far, everything’s been positive, from what I can tell,” she told the newspaper. “I just hope that more and more people and children get covered under this new health-care plan.”

McComic, who campaigned for Trump with some relatives by forming a motorcade and driving through their hometown shouting his name, said she’s never trusted a president as much as the real estate developer and former reality TV star.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

“We said: ‘Who else would we do this for, besides Trump?’” McComic said. “We agreed on the Lord. We would stand here for the Lord, but that’s about it.”
Good comments underneath.

Arizona artist receiving death threats over controversial anti-Trump billboard
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
“We said: ‘Who else would we do this for, besides Trump?’” McComic said. “We agreed on the Lord. We would stand here for the Lord, but that’s about it.”
Good comments underneath.

Arizona artist receiving death threats over controversial anti-Trump billboard

love the comment, "it's too bad stupid doesn't hurt"
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Trump supporters....

Man arrested for strobe-light tweet that caused reporter's seizure

A Maryland man has been arrested on federal charges that he intentionally used an animated tweet to trigger an epileptic seizure in a Newsweek reporter who had been critical of President Donald Trump.

The reporter, Kurt Eichenwald, was at his home office in Dallas on December 15 when he clicked on a Twitter message sent him by a man using the pseudonym "@jew_goldstein." A blinding strobe light began flashing on his screen, sending Eichenwald -- who has openly discussed his epilepsy -- into a seizure. His wife found him on the floor.

The Justice Department said Friday that it had arrested John R. Rivello, 29, of Salisbury, Maryland, on a criminal complaint from Texas charging him with cyberstalking with the intent to kill or cause bodily harm. If convicted, he could face up to 10 years in prison.

An affidavit filed with the complaint said that a search of Rivello's Twitter account showed he had sent other messages about Eichenwald saying "I know he has epilepsy" and "I hope this sends him into a seizure."

The authorities also found an altered Wikipedia page in Rivello's iCloud account that showed a fake obituary for Eichenwald with a death date of December 16....

Since the attack, Eichenwald said, 40 more accounts have sent him strobe lights messages. He has passed their information to the FBI.
1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

"Charla McComic’s son recently lost his job, and his health-insurance premium dropped from $567 per month to $88, which she described
as “a blessing from God” and a gift from the new president, reported the Washington Post."
I'm betting she no longer has to worry about making her mortgage payments or putting gas in her car ....

"Dumb as a f***ing rock" ... those rocks are found on both sides of the political fence.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Mr.B wrote:
"Charla McComic’s son recently lost his job, and his health-insurance premium dropped from $567 per month to $88, which she described
as “a blessing from God” and a gift from the new president, reported the Washington Post."
I'm betting she no longer has to worry about making her mortgage payments or putting gas in her car ....

"Dumb as a f***ing rock" ... those rocks are found on both sides of the political fence.

agreed, but y'all do out preform in the really really stupid category - as evidenced by the last election - that includes moron senators bring snowball to the floor and representatives who think people want to marry lawnmowers

yep, y'all do seem to have a corner on the dumb as rocks category

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

billy.pilgrim wrote: "agreed, but y'all do out preform in the really really stupid category - as evidenced by the last election - that includes moron senators bring snowball to the floor and representatives who think people want to marry lawnmowers"
That's OK. Y'all's kind outdistanced us in the stupid department in the previous two elections. It was our turn.
Better to marry a lawnmower than one of one's own sex; which was praised by moron senators and judges of y'all's kind.

"yep, y'all do seem to have a corner on the dumb as rocks category"
We just got the corner; y'all got the rest of the block. et tu brute?

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Vrede too wrote:
Ashley Judd
March 11 at 3:50pm ·

#NoPoliticsHere . . . Where are some of your #NoPoliticsHere spaces, and how do you defend and protect them graciously?
Those places are hard to find in these days of dumbass populism/nationalism/fascism. In any case, I do not defend anything graciously; I go for the throat. These trumphole fucktards hate PC, and I'm good with going no-PC on their inbred asses. And I'm far better at it than most of them.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:lol: "Dumb as a f***ing rock" Trump voter Mr.B desperately reaches back 9 years for a rightwing meme in order to find someone barely comparable - hopes for what will happen vs. absolute certainty about something that didn't happen - to "Dumb as a f***ing rock" Charla McComic.
1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede too wrote: :lol: "Dumb as a f***ing rock" Trump voter Mr.B desperately reaches back 9 years for a rightwing meme in order to find someone comparable to "Dumb as a f***ing rock" Charla McComic."
Should have known I wouldn't have had to look that clip up; you popped up, right on cue! (You rang?)

I'll know better next time than to waste my time looking, when you're right here.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Trump supporters....

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

So a couple of Trump supporters were interviewed on CBS news tonight. The segment wasn't really about their Trump support, but about the challenges faced by high school dropouts in a tough economic area, but they did say they were Trump people. Anyway, the older of the two had a Mr.B type attitude that "all politicians are equally bad." Neither of the two had health insurance. Then it turns out the younger of the two had had a benign brain tumor diagnosed a few years ago. He pays $300/month for medication for it. Of course, at his income level, if he picked the Silver plan from the Marketplace, his premium would be about $120 per month after subsidy. Hmm, $300/month for meds only vs. $120/month for actual health coverage with a $250 Rx deductible and $15 generic prescriptions. There ought to be a new description for somebody who's even dumber than a box of hammers - Trump-dumb.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

That reminds me of an old phrase; "An almost Soviet level of incompetence."

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:So a couple of Trump supporters were interviewed on CBS news tonight. The segment wasn't really about their Trump support, but about the challenges faced by high school dropouts in a tough economic area, but they did say they were Trump people. Anyway, the older of the two had a Mr.B type attitude that "all politicians are equally bad." Neither of the two had health insurance. Then it turns out the younger of the two had had a benign brain tumor diagnosed a few years ago. He pays $300/month for medication for it. Of course, at his income level, if he picked the Silver plan from the Marketplace, his premium would be about $120 per month after subsidy. Hmm, $300/month for meds only vs. $120/month for actual health coverage with a $250 Rx deductible and $15 generic prescriptions. There ought to be a new description for somebody who's even dumber than a box of hammers - Trump-dumb.
This is my family. When talking politics, they always say: they're both the same. When you press them for specifics, they can't provide any and just say nobody helps poor people.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

JTA wrote: This is my family. When talking politics, they always say: they're both the same. When you press them for specifics, they can't provide any and just say nobody helps poor people.
Unfortunately they're pretty much right that nobody helps poor people, but it would seem obvious that only one party actively tries to cause greater harm to poor people.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:
JTA wrote: This is my family. When talking politics, they always say: they're both the same. When you press them for specifics, they can't provide any and just say nobody helps poor people.
Unfortunately they're pretty much right that nobody helps poor people, but it would seem obvious that only one party actively tries to cause greater harm to poor people.
I think many people fail to grasp that these people live in a different reality than most. If you've spent your entire life in a little shit hole town and that's all you've ever known having rarely if ever traveled more than 100 miles away, that becomes your only basis of reality. You don't read books. If you do it's shitty mass market fiction. You receive your news from blatantly biased news-entertainment. A lot of your knowledge comes from word-of-mouth gossip from the equally as ignorant acquaintance who's fallen down the talk radio/internet conspiracy rabbit hole, but because he sounds like he's knowledgeable in contrast to your utter ignorance you take what he says at face value as truth.

These people inhabit a bubble.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

"greater harm" only goes so far and poor people don't vote. The Dems also presiding over the decimation of the working and middle classes for the the past 35+ years leads to "they're both the same." So, people drop out, grasp at straws or vote based on other factors.
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

JTA wrote:
O Really wrote:
I think many people fail to grasp that these people live in a different reality than most. If you've spent your entire life in a little shit hole town and that's all you've ever known having rarely if ever traveled more than 100 miles away, that becomes your only basis of reality. You don't read books. If you do it's shitty mass market fiction. You receive your news from blatantly biased news-entertainment. A lot of your knowledge comes from word-of-mouth gossip from the equally as ignorant acquaintance who's fallen down the talk radio/internet conspiracy rabbit hole, but because he sounds like he's knowledgeable in contrast to your utter ignorance you take what he says at face value as truth.

Shit- how do you know my in-laws?!
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Boatrocker wrote:
JTA wrote:
O Really wrote:

Shit- how do you know my in-laws?!
I think we come from the same place, just opposite sides of the country !