A Trump supporter....

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Re: A Trump supporter....

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Never appeal to a man’s “better nature.” He may not have one. Invoking his “self—interest” gives you more leverage. "
The Notebooks of Lazarus Long
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Is it really either-or? One baser (?) self-interest is wanting the feeling of having done the "right" thing.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Saw this shirt on sale at a metal show I went to:

You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Is "PURE EVIL" a good thing or a bad thing at a metal show?
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:Is "PURE EVIL" a good thing or a bad thing at a metal show?
Knowing what I do about the band, and given the picture they chose of Trump to use on the shirt, they are most definitely mocking Trump hah.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Was talking to a friend at the show. He was saying he went to a show a few months back. Some drunk dude starting getting belligerent and yelling "Ya'll that don't like Trump need to get a fucking job!". He said everybody slowly backed away haha.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

One of my favorite band's making a mockery of American politics is Fearless Iranians from Hell.

The band's lyrics were written from the point of view of an Islamic extremist and mock the anti-Iranian sentiment that was prevalent in the U.S. at the time, especially in the wake of the 1983 United States embassy bombing.

Most Iranians when they saw where the band was coming from they appreciated it. They saw this is a spoof of racial profiling by vilifying a whole nation based on what their leaders do

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:
Knowing what I do about the band, and given the picture they chose of Trump to use on the shirt, they are most definitely mocking Trump hah.
Cool, I know there's a faction of metal that's rightwing jingoistic. Maybe it's the minority?
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:
JTA wrote:
Cool, I know there's a faction of metal that's rightwing jingoistic. Maybe it's the minority?
Yeah. I think so anyway. Every metal show I've gone to the people have been the most chill and accepting group there is. More so than the office fucks I work with, or the suburban soccer mom/dad theocrats in and around G'Ville usually quick to pass judgement. I guess it's like any sub-culture, though - you rally around the shared interest in metal rather than things like nationality or race or political affiliation. Everyone just wants to have a good time.

If anything, I think a lot of metal-heads are more "libertarian" than anything - live and let live. Let me do my thing, and you can do yours, just leave me alone. I guess.

Of course, you have your assholes trying to fuck things up by encouraging division. Case in point Megadeth last year (I don't remember what was said, but I remember you telling me it was something maybe Trump-related).

On the more extreme side, you've got things like NSBM (Nazi Black Metal).

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:
Vrede too wrote:Cool, I know there's a faction of metal that's rightwing jingoistic. Maybe it's the minority?
Yeah. I think so anyway....

Cool.

Of course, you have your assholes trying to fuck things up by encouraging division. Case in point Megadeth last year (I don't remember what was said, but I remember you telling me it was something maybe Trump-related)....
Overt jingoism, but no mention of Trump. Then, I looked up guitarist Dave Mustaine and learned that he's a hardcore (of course :D ) Christian RWNJ.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

So Lady O and I found ourselves staying around Roanoke VA last night on the way to somewhere else,and turned on the morning news today. Three local channels were all fawining - fawning - over Trump's arrival for his pep talk to himself at Liberty ummmm, "university." Actually had somebody out at the airport pointing to the sky like Superman just flew over - look, up in the air, it's Air Force One!" We shouldn't have been surprised, though - if you put down the window, the sounds of banjos are deafening.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:... Trump's arrival for his pep talk to himself at Liberty ummmm, "university." ...
I saw some interviews with attendees on ABC. They like his policies still (whatever they are), of course, but even they now think he's crappy at execution.
1312. ETTD.

homerfobe
Ensign

Unread post by homerfobe »

Vrede too wrote:
O Really wrote:... Trump's arrival for his pep talk to himself at Liberty ummmm, "university." ...
I saw some interviews with attendees on ABC. They like his policies still (whatever they are), of course, but even they now think he's crappy at execution.
So's the State of Arkansas.
Proudly Telling It Like It Is: In Your Face! Whether You Like It Or Not!

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

O Really wrote: . . . if you put down the window, the sounds of banjos are deafening.
As the tshirt says, paddle faster.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Funny, that's what the back of homerfobe's t-shirt says, too. :o Nttawwt.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

This was an interesting read:

How the “isolated man-boys” of 4chan turned a meme into the president of the United States

https://qz.com/914142/how-the-isolated- ... ed-states/

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

That is interesting, thanks, and sad. Nihilism becomes government. I wonder if Dale Beran, Medium and Quartz Ideas will now be feeling 4chan's 'mom's basement' wrath.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Those nihilists cheering on destruction and chaos here in the USA have never had to experience living in an environment where prospects are utterly hopeless.

Too much time spent living in the fantasy realm of TV and video games, where once a general breakdown of society occurs you're free to wander around living a life of moderate danger and excitement no longer chained to your shit office/retail/whatever job. I understand the sentiment, because I hate certain aspects of my modern existence as well, but I also recognize how well I have it, and how terrible life can be.

I'm reminded of the excitement experienced by civilians signing up to fight in the first world war. The dullness of civilian life being cast aside for the adventure of war. Several months later that idealism was absolutely crushed.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

When it's all a "game" one doesn't have to take or even feel any responsibility for the real world consequences of one's vote.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

News headline from the future: The grim reaper, also known as death, defeated his democratic oppnent today. Death's win has largely been attributed to his overhwelming support from the pro-life voting bloc.