Fake News

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Fake News

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
Vrede too wrote:Donald Trump claims Barack Obama ordered 'wire tap' on Trump Tower, but provides no evidence

"but provides no evidence"
That never matters to moronic, gullible, adoring Trumpettes....
GARY: If you dont think the NIWP did this your and idiot

Me: "NIWP"?
"dont (sic) your (sic) and (sic) idiot" - LOL, irony.
Also, GARY, is using all caps for your handle a compensation for your tiny, ummm, "hands"?
[color=#BF0000]Vrede too[/color] wrote:“Sabotage is what is happening” - They're clearly trying to make Trumpettes look like whiny illiterates . . . or, they really are whiny illiterates.

http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopi ... tes#p71993
JTA wrote:The supposed source for this is Brietbart: http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... ine-trump/

Of course :roll: . At first glance all the "sources" seem pretty shaky.

From my understanding, the Obama admin put in a FISA request to monitor activity at Trump tower due to questions surrounding the back and forth communication by a private server in Trump tower and a financial institution in Russia.

If even true, that may be a legit reason, and it's no different from what's done as part of the Drug War and National Security State that cons adore. Some people ;) have cautioned that this is exactly what nefarious pols and bureaucrats will do in the absence of severe restraint, only to be told that they are being Henny Pennys.

I remember this being in the news a while back.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Vrede too wrote: . . . Me: "NIWP"? . . . .
My dad used to refer to "N****r In The Woodpile." Some sort of old-fashioned reference to something being amiss, or hidden.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Thanks. No surprise that Trumpettes are both racist and too stupid to even do their own acronyms right. It should be NITW.
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Well, I was just guessing. It seemed to fit, adjusting for their denseness.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I'm sure you guessed correctly.
1312. ETTD.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Apparently we now have proof at least a subset of Trump supporters will believe anything as long as it has news in the name and supports their world view..

FTA:
They believed that Obama had tweeted “Trump must be removed as president by any means necessary”, and when one commenter, ‘Truthseeker’, dared suggest the story ‘Obama ran paedophile ring out of White House’ might possibly be fake, he was told: “Really “Truthseeker” if you had ANY clue of the truth, you’d KNOW that Wikileaks hasn’t published ONE thing that has been false. So please use your own mind. Stop listening to MSM [mainstream media] and realize what the TRUTH really is.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:roll: :lol: :thumbup:
... Barack Obama had been plotting a coup from a secret bunker near the White House ...

... ‘Obama ran paedophile ring out of White House’
Fake! It's a pizza restaurant.

Edit: Never mind, that's covered in the very next paragraphs. :lol:
... actress Whoopi Goldberg had said Carryn Owens, the widow of a dead US serviceman, had been “just looking for attention” when she attended Donald Trump’s speech to Congress.
Low hanging fruit. We already knew that Trumpettes would swallow it whole when Kellyanne Conway exploited the SEAL's widow with a lie.
"When I wrote about Hillary Clinton’s new emails that proved she was a child sacrificing maniac, people screamed for her head.”
Unfair! Monica was not technically a child :o and that laugh is just annoying, not really maniacal.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

bannination wrote:
JTA wrote:
This happens on Reddit big-time (bigly). Maybe not quite bots, but when certain controversial stories hit the top of r/politics that are detrimental to Trump, you'll notice a sudden inundation of pro Trump admin posts, many from newish accounts that only post the same/similar style comments. Prior to the election this was happening big time/bigly, but I guess that's understandable. Seems to be heating up again. It's interesting to browse 4chan from time to time. There's some very obvious brigading of various social media sites. It's kind of interesting.
I've definitely noticed the same, both on reddit and 4chan. I'm sure it's a mixture of real people and bots.
Yes, bots can generate likes, too.
As many as 48 million Twitter accounts aren't people, says study

A big chunk of those "likes," "retweets," and "followers" lighting up your Twitter account may not be coming from human hands. According to new research from the University of Southern California and Indiana University, up to 15 percent of Twitter accounts are in fact bots rather than people....

Since Twitter currently has 319 million monthly active users, that translates to nearly 48 million bot accounts, using USC's high-end estimate.

The report goes on to say that complex bots could have shown up as humans in their model, "making even the 15% figure a conservative estimate."

... "there is a growing record of malicious applications of social bots. Some emulate human behavior to manufacture fake grassroots political support… [and] promote terrorist propaganda and recruitment." ...
1312. ETTD.

bannination
Captain

http://conservativepoliticalforum.com/p ... ate-sites/

Fake news?

I can't find any reference from Harvard listing any sites, just a guide to help determine what might be fake. -0-?

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

bannination wrote:http://conservativepoliticalforum.com/p ... ate-sites/

Fake news?

I can't find any reference from Harvard listing any sites, just a guide to help determine what might be fake. -0-?
It's real.

Here's the main page about Fake News, Misinformation, and Propaganda, with some good resources. The list is the last link on the bottom-right: False, Misleading, Clickbait-y, and Satirical “News” Sources.

It has plenty of links from all over the political spectrum. It doesn't call them all fake, but includes those it thinks are biased.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:lol: They're actually whining because sites with an admitted and open con tilt are labeled "bias". Dang, those single syllable words really trip them up.
Last edited by Vrede too on Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

bannination
Captain

rstrong wrote:
bannination wrote:http://conservativepoliticalforum.com/p ... ate-sites/

Fake news?

It's real.

Here's the main page about Fake News, Misinformation, and Propaganda, with some good resources. The list is the last link on the bottom-right: False, Misleading, Clickbait-y, and Satirical “News” Sources.

It has plenty of links from all over the political spectrum. It doesn't call them all fake, but includes those it thinks are biased.
Ah gotcha. I had seen that google doc, but could not place Melissa Zimdars at Harvard, that was the missing link. It's not that Harvard released a list, they linked to one done by someone else. (That's fair, I see that as Harvard being in agreement with the content.)

Looking at a small subset of the list, I didn't see anything too out of place.... infowars listed as conspiracy.... ya think?! :-)

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

BMW/M
Red Shirt

Unread post by BMW/M »

The Orangeman is now getting the treatment directed at him.

Putin says expects 'fake' gas attacks to discredit Syria's Assad

President Vladimir Putin said on Tuesday that Russia had information that the United States was planning to launch new missile strikes on Syria, and that there were plans to fake chemicals weapons attacks there.

Putin was speaking hours before U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson was due to arrive in Moscow for talks with Russia's foreign minister and days after denouncing last week's U.S. missile strike on a Syrian air base as illegal.

Standing alongside Italian President Sergio Mattarella who was in Moscow for talks, Putin, when asked by a reporter if he expected more U.S. missile strikes on Syria, said:

"We have information that a similar provocation is being prepared ... in other parts of Syria including in the southern Damascus suburbs where they are planning to again plant some substance and accuse the Syrian authorities of using (chemical weapons)."

He did not offer any proof for that assertion.

Russia has defended the Syrian government, a staunch ally, against U.S. allegations it was behind the nerve gas attack in Syria's Idlib province last week which killed scores, saying there is no evidence to underpin such an allegation.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-midea ... SKBN17D1K9

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

The scary part is that it is totally believable that Trump would make up a story and then act on it as if it were true. In fact, he has done that, just not yet with bombing. But he made up the story about marauding Mexicans, therefore needing a wall and mass deportation. He made up a the story of terrorist Syrian kids thus needing to ban anybody from 7 countries. He made up the story of being "wiretapped." And yada and yada. Do I believe he would create a total fabrication of an international incident so he could bomb something? Absolutely.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Or, some rebels - "good" ones or "bad" ones - created a total fabrication of an international incident so that Trump would bomb Assad. Not that I'm leaning that way, but possible.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Possible no doubt. Maybe probable. We've got a guy who (a) makes up stuff, (b) believes stuff he sees on InfoWars and Faux, and (c) is highly susceptible to suggestion from whoever speaks to him last. Scary shit.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:Possible no doubt. Maybe probable. We've got a guy who (a) makes up stuff, (b) believes stuff he sees on InfoWars and Faux, and (c) is highly susceptible to suggestion from whoever speaks to him last. Scary shit.
We have no idea where the chemical weapons came from, or who used them, but as they always do, the repugs jump to conclusions - the same conclusion since Oklahoma City - they blamed the muslims then until timmy was caught. Who would thumper have bombed then.

To use an incident for political expediency - when have I heard that before

maybe 2001
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

MIT expert claims latest chemical weapons attack in Syria was staged

Don't know if he's correct, but Theodore Postol has the credentials.
... The implication of Postol's analysis is that it was carried out by anti-government insurgents as Khan Sheikhoun is in militant-controlled territory of Syria....
:wave:
Vrede too wrote:Or, some rebels - "good" ones or "bad" ones - created a total fabrication of an international incident so that Trump would bomb Assad. Not that I'm leaning that way, but possible.
Assad is certainly capable of using chemical weapons, but it's hard to figure out why he would have.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:MIT expert claims latest chemical weapons attack in Syria was staged

Don't know if he's correct, but Theodore Postol has the credentials.
... The implication of Postol's analysis is that it was carried out by anti-government insurgents as Khan Sheikhoun is in militant-controlled territory of Syria....
:wave:
Vrede too wrote:Or, some rebels - "good" ones or "bad" ones - created a total fabrication of an international incident so that Trump would bomb Assad. Not that I'm leaning that way, but possible.
Assad is certainly capable of using chemical weapons, but it's hard to figure out why he would have.

Not "hard" - it is impossible to see any benefits to him

Unless Putie told him to and that is too farfetched to consider
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”