Fake News

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Fake News

Unread post by Vrede too »

If You Get 3/7 On This Quiz You're Getting Sucker Punched By Fake News
Test your bullshit detector

You got 5 out of 7 right!
You're a fake news pawtective!

You don't always get to the bottom of the story, but you sure know how to dig. Keep your ears perked and stay skeptical.
I'm not thrilled about missing 2. :oops:
Spoiler:
I missed #1 & #3.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 3:45 pm
If You Get 3/7 On This Quiz You're Getting Sucker Punched By Fake News
Test your bullshit detector

You got 5 out of 7 right!
You're a fake news pawtective!

You don't always get to the bottom of the story, but you sure know how to dig. Keep your ears perked and stay skeptical.
I'm not thrilled about missing 2.
Spoiler:
I missed #1 & #3.
2 is okay if they were stories you had never heard of and just had to make a wild ass guess. The questions about the cartoon and pat robberson required me to guess based only on the sleaziness of trump and robberson; therefore causing me to miss both.
I would not have passed along either way
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

7. The "Doomsday Vault," which hold's the world's seeds in case of global disaster, flooded because of melting permafrost.
I marked this one fake, having read clarified updates. There was some seepage in the entrance. It's happened before, it was designed so that it wouldn't endanger the vault itself, and the vault and seeds were never in danger.

It wasn't so much that the permafrost melted, but - having dug a big hole in it - "the permafrost has not (re)established itself as projected." The proposed improvements include removing heat sources including a transformer station from the tunnel.

The "test" says I'm wrong, but I still say the headline is mostly fake.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

'We can’t take the bullying anymore,' says WH reporter

Bout time somebody in the press pushed back. The cow didn't know whether to shit or go blind, so she let him go on for longer than I would've thought possible.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

So where's a Dan Rather when you need him?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGBLAKq8xwc

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

O Really wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:09 am
He fell for a fake news report regarding Bush II's Vietnam-era service in the National Guard. Not only did that invalidate everything Rather said before or since, it invalidates any and all concerns about the lack or records or recollections of Bush II's attendance.

You know, much like how Jon Stewart once made a mistake in something he said on the Daily Show - then corrected and apologized for it the next day. Fox News - who made such mistakes on an hourly basis and never corrected or apologized - spent the next two weeks reminding everyone that everything Stewart said before or since was now invalid.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

rstrong wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:23 am
O Really wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:09 am
He fell for a fake news report regarding Bush II's Vietnam-era service in the National Guard. Not only did that invalidate everything Rather said before or since, it invalidates any and all concerns about the lack or records or recollections of Bush II's attendance.

You know, much like how Jon Stewart once made a mistake in something he said on the Daily Show - then corrected and apologized for it the next day. Fox News - who made such mistakes on an hourly basis and never corrected or apologized - spent the next two weeks reminding everyone that everything Stewart said before or since was now invalid.
I've heard co-workers repeat this point. Here's some others (Trump has repeated a few as well)

- Media outlets have reported incorrect stories in the past, why should anything they report on be trusted now?
- Journalists use anonymous sources. Why should a story be trusted if the source is completely anonymous and not named?
- News articles headlines are frequently misleading and and geared towards obtaining clicks and catching a readers attention. Fake news!
- Mainsteam media outlets are mostly located in urban, left leaning hubs. Clear bias!
- "Globalists" which is dog whistle for "Da juice!" Although this one isn't as common.

I'm not a journalist, but I'd think in most cases there's some form of of quality control that goes into the printing of stories. Otherwise you'd simply have a tabloid.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

CNN accepts resignations of 3 involved in retracted story

CNN - Retraction within a day, 3 forced resignations.
Faux Noise with the murder of Seth Rich - Retraction after a week, no resignations or firings.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Fox News Comments Section Censoring

Holllyy hell.

Fox News is scrubbing the comments sections of their news articles if you post certain phrases. One such phrase is from the Trump Jr. e-mail chain.
"This is obviously very high level and sensitive information but is part of Russia and its government’s support for Mr. Trump".

- Goldstone in e-mail to Trump Jr.
I tested this myself because I was skeptical. Sure enough, the steps found here are reproducible. It works! Post that phrase in the comments section and only YOU, the user who posted it, can see it. Nobody else can.

Here's the steps: http://www.lauramariereese.com/beyond-n ... y-control/

Here's a video detailing all steps:

Here's a more concise video if you don't have 8 minutes to spare:

I wonder what else is forbidden?
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Russian Bots Are Starting to Attack the Republican Party

Russian-linked bots and trolls have caused a surge in use of the hashtag #ResignPaulRyan on Twitter over the last 48 hours, just as the Republican speaker of the House was returning to his home state of Wisconsin for a month-long respite from Washington, D.C.

... Ryan wasn’t the only member of Trump’s party to face countless bots demanding his removal. A campaign calling on the president to fire National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster received widespread support from bots and trolls over the last several days using the hashtag #FireMcMaster, eventually getting picked up by some right-wing fake news sites that seem to have the president’s full attention, including Breitbart.

The Russian-sponsored attacks against his aides and colleagues could easily reach the president's timeline as he takes his 17-day vacation at his luxury golf course property in Bedminster, New Jersey. In between golfing and enjoying his day outside of Washington, D.C., Saturday, Trump thanked an apparent Twitter bot named @ProTrump45 for a supportive message about his presidency.

That account, which was quickly discovered to be a fake, pro-Trump spam page, has since been suspended by Twitter.

Twitter bots linked to Russia and other foreign adversaries have typically fueled support of Trump’s agenda on social media, with nearly half of the president’s followers appearing to be fake or spam accounts, as Newsweek previously reported.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Trump supporters post fake photos of huge crowds at Phoenix rally - as real images show room half-empty

Donald Trump supporters have been sharing fake photos of huge crowds at the US President's Phoenix rally on social media, following claims the event failed to draw big numbers.

Images showing thousands of people lining the streets in Arizona were widely shared by Republicans and the leader's core base.

But the photos were quickly debunked as fake. They actually showed an aerial view of crowds that had turned out for a championship parade for the Cleveland Cavaliers basketball team....
:lol: :!:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

bannination wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:21 pm
JTA wrote:
This happens on Reddit big-time (bigly). Maybe not quite bots, but when certain controversial stories hit the top of r/politics that are detrimental to Trump, you'll notice a sudden inundation of pro Trump admin posts, many from newish accounts that only post the same/similar style comments. Prior to the election this was happening big time/bigly, but I guess that's understandable. Seems to be heating up again. It's interesting to browse 4chan from time to time. There's some very obvious brigading of various social media sites. It's kind of interesting.
I've definitely noticed the same, both on reddit and 4chan. I'm sure it's a mixture of real people and bots.
How did they get their own country? :D
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:49 pm
rstrong wrote:Remember James O'Keefe, the Breitbart-affiliated fake news pioneer who staged the hoax videos about Acorn and Planned Parenthood that disrupted the last two election cycles? And whose organization recently infiltrated various groups during the recent presidential campaign in an hoax effort to link Democrats with voter fraud?

He just go caught trying to entrap people into appearing to take bribes to riot at the inauguration.

Counter-Sting Catches James O’Keefe Network Attempting To Sow Chaos At Trump’s Inauguration
broke into a senators office and illegally entered the US from Canada dressed up as bin laden (for which he was put on the no fly list)

he is scum
He's back.

Conservative group linked to woman who falsely accused Moore

The only reason he's still around is because cons really are that slow, gullible and unethical.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I'll be glad when the over-used and rapidly-becoming-cliche "fake news" moves on out of the lexicon. Sure, there is, and always has been a lot of fake news around. Star and National Enquirer, etc. have made a living off it for decades. But real "fake news" is a made-up story. Something the writer knows to be untrue/fictional. It can be frivolous (Kelly Ripa disowns daughter over eye-roll) or malicious (e.g., swift-boating), but it's largely fictional and the writer knows it.

Other news, even if it turns out to be inaccurate or wrong is not "fake news" if it's reported properly. Trump calls anything he doesn't like to be fake news. Moore called it fake news that he molested teenagers. No, that was not fake news, whether you did it or not, Roy. The news was that several people reported that you had molested them. Even if they had been lying, the report of what they said is not "fake." Saying "Roy Moore is accused..." is real.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:07 am
I'll be glad when the over-used and rapidly-becoming-cliche "fake news" moves on out of the lexicon....
I agree in general, but you're not saying that this failed attempt and what James O'Keefe has done over and over isn't "fake news", are you?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Sleaze-bag O'Keefe attempts to create fake news. Reporting that he has (again) tried and failed to do so is real news.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:58 am
Sleaze-bag O'Keefe attempts to create fake news. Reporting that he has (again) tried and failed to do so is real news.
Got it. I posted here for the former reason, not the latter.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:08 am
O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:58 am
Got it. I posted here for the former reason, not the latter.
There was a time when this sort of thing would get a lot of media coverage. Now it falls to the side, eclipsed by the many new scandals and antics of the orange buffoon.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

I expect fox to lie, but why does almost all of the media allow trump's lies to filter into almost everything.

From NBC,
"Trump fired Flynn 25 days into this administration for misrepresenting the nature of his conversations with Sergey Kislyak, then the Russian ambassador, to Vice President Pence and other administration officials."

That ain't even close to what happened, but I imagine most people see it that way after all major news outlets pass it off as truth.

What I remember

They knew for weeks that Flynn lied and trump didn't do a goddamn thing until the media publicized it and made trump look bad. Trump fired him for making him look bad - end of story