President* Trump

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
rstrong
Captain

Re: President* Trump

Unread post by rstrong »

Oliver! wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:10 pm
This is a message that is thousands of years old. No one heeded it then, no one is heeding it now.
I disagree. What's got the Alt-Right / Nazis / KKK riled up is that people ARE heeding it.

Oliver!
Red Shirt

Unread post by Oliver! »

From what I've seen on TV, hate speech and acts of violence have not been limited to Alt-Right / Nazis / KKK . One side is radical and the other side is either celebrating or competing with it.

Oliver!
Red Shirt

Unread post by Oliver! »

@rstrong When I post, I get my post has to be approved by a moderator. Are you a moderator for this forum?
Last edited by Oliver! on Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Oliver! wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:19 pm
From what I've seen on TV, hate speech and acts of violence have not been limited to Alt-Right / Nazis / KKK . One side is radical and the other side is either celebrating or competing with it.
False equivalency. To apply a quote from original right-winger Barry Goldwater, "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!"

So of all the people who showed up at Charlottesville, which were defending liberty and pursuit of justice?

Let's say a guy is on the street assaulting a woman, and let's say another guy comes up and hits the attacker. Both men "assaulted" - both men struck another person. Does the fact that both their actions are similar mean that both are equally wrong?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Oliver! wrote:
So, you're echoing the Nazis/KKK excuse making and are thus saying that the 1940s Nazis and the GIs that fought them were morally the same. I disagree, what people are fighting for matters. What would your grandparents think of your position?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Oliver! wrote:
I think you're right. One side is Nazi's and the other are Americans. Last I checked we went to war to defeat the Nazi's. The Nazi's just killed an American on American soil.

Oliver!
Red Shirt

Unread post by Oliver! »

"One side is Nazi's and the other are Americans."

They're all Americans by birth regardless of their embracing hateful and radical ideas. Americans embracing Nazism, the KKK embracing hatred for Jews and others of color, align themselves with Christianity as their excuse for their vile and despicable hatred. I can't see where they get off using Christianity as a cover for their hate, when Christ was Jew. They are the reason for the growing hatred of Christians.

Oliver!
Red Shirt

Unread post by Oliver! »

"So, you're echoing the Nazis/KKK excuse making and are thus saying that the 1940s Nazis and the GIst that fought them were morally the same. I disagree, what people are fighting for matters. What would your grandparents think of your position?"

No, that's not what I'm saying, and that's not my position. The 1940's Nazis were blindly devoted to a fanatical leader who envisioned eradication of "imperfect" humans, whereas the GI's were fighting to destroy that dream. People today are seeking equality, but are using the same hate-filled tactics that the "Christian" haters are using. One group is no better than the other; rioting and chaos apparently is more fun than seriously attempting to bring about change.

bannination
Captain

Oliver! wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:15 pm
"One side is Nazi's and the other are Americans."

They're all Americans by birth regardless of their embracing hateful and radical ideas. Americans embracing Nazism, the KKK embracing hatred for Jews and others of color, align themselves with Christianity as their excuse for their vile and despicable hatred. I can't see where they get off using Christianity as a cover for their hate, when Christ was Jew. They are the reason for the growing hatred of Christians.
Doesn't help either that their views and beliefs are well supported in their bible.

Oliver!
Red Shirt

Unread post by Oliver! »

"Doesn't help either that their views and beliefs are well supported in their Bible."

Do you mean "Thou shalt not kill?" or "Thou shalt love thy brother as thyself?"

bannination
Captain

Oliver! wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:28 pm
"So, you're echoing the Nazis/KKK excuse making and are thus saying that the 1940s Nazis and the GIst that fought them were morally the same. I disagree, what people are fighting for matters. What would your grandparents think of your position?"

No, that's not what I'm saying, and that's not my position. The 1940's Nazis were blindly devoted to a fanatical leader who envisioned eradication of "imperfect" humans, whereas the GI's were fighting to destroy that dream. People today are seeking equality, but are using the same hate-filled tactics that the "Christian" haters are using. One group is no better than the other; rioting and chaos apparently is more fun than seriously attempting to bring about change.
You lost me at Americans are no better than Nazi's.

bannination
Captain

Oliver! wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:41 pm
"Doesn't help either that their views and beliefs are well supported in their Bible."

Do you mean "Thou shalt not kill?" or "Thou shalt love thy brother as thyself?"
No, more along the lines of:
When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property.
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ.
Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them.
When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl’s owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment.
Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. “The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him.”
But if this charge is true (that she wasn’t a virgin on her wedding night), and evidence of the girls virginity is not found, they shall bring the girl to the entrance of her fathers house and there her townsman shall stone her to death, because she committed a crime against Israel by her unchasteness in her father’s house. Thus shall you purge the evil from your midst.
The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: ‘Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.’

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Oliver! wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:28 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:46 pm
Oliver! wrote:
So, you're echoing the Nazis/KKK excuse making and are thus saying that the 1940s Nazis and the GIs that fought them were morally the same. I disagree, what people are fighting for matters. What would your grandparents think of your position?
No, that's not what I'm saying, and that's not my position. The 1940's Nazis were blindly devoted to a fanatical leader who envisioned eradication of "imperfect" humans,

Like Dolt .45.

whereas the GI's were fighting to destroy that dream.

Like Antifa/BLM.

People today are seeking equality, but are using the same hate-filled tactics that the "Christian" haters are using.

The GIs used the same tactics as the Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe. When did Antifa/BLM drive a car into a crowd?

One group is no better than the other;

So, you are saying that the 1940s Nazis and the GIs that fought them were morally the same. That's what I said about your position.

rioting and chaos apparently is more fun than seriously attempting to bring about change.

Most of the protest was nonviolent. It and the violent protest have already brought about big changes:
Dolt .45 made an ass of himself.
Statue removal hastened.
Reddit, Facebook ban neo-Nazi groups after Charlottesville attack
Most of society and even large parts of the GOP condemning Dolt .45.
Nazis being outed and shunned.
Advisory boards fleeing Dolt .45.
Six Flags drops Confederate flag from Texas park: papers
Nazi Bannon ousted.

Apparently, your moral ambiguity is more fun than paying attention.
But, don't take my word for it.

Arnold Schwarzenegger has a blunt message for Nazis

Since you didn't answer what your grandparents would think of your position:

Don't Be a Sucker - 1947
In this anti-fascist film produced by US Military in the wake of WWII, the producers deconstruct the politically motivated social engineering of Germany by the Nazi regime.

Its argument is just as timely today.
Excerpt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_aqUsMqEyw

Found:
Think I'll watch Downfall, a German TV movie about Hitler's last days in the bunker. Don't know why I'm thinking about it, but it's a terrific film.

To Starbucks and Nike:
Reject Donald Trump and his embrace of white supremacists. End your leases at Trump Tower and other properties.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

MSNBC had a banner proclaiming trump as a "lame duck president".

the big cheeto's does bring new meanings to old terms, or could it be that he coined this term himself.

"Have you heard that expression used before?" Trump asked billy. "Because I haven't heard it. I mean, I just … I came up with it a couple of days ago and I thought it was good. It's what you have to do."

"Yeah, what you have to do is you have to really screw things up bigly before you can get out," Trump continued".
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Oliver!
Red Shirt

Unread post by Oliver! »

One group is no better than the other.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Oliver! wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:21 am
:?: :?: :?:

Whined like a true Nazi/KKK supporter. One group advocates subjugation of people based on their skin color, the other brave group hurts the first group's widdle feewings.

Here - :oII . Don't cry.
1312. ETTD.

Oliver!
Red Shirt

Unread post by Oliver! »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:26 am
Oliver! wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:21 am
:?: :?: :?:

Whined like a true Nazi/KKK supporter. One group advocates subjugation of people based on their skin color, the other brave group hurts the first group's widdle feewings.

Here - :oII . Don't cry.
:oII Back to you. Whined like a true snowflake. :crybaby: Did I hurt your widdle feewings?
I'm only commenting on what I'm seeing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Fair enough, I'm only commenting on your seeing things like a deplorable crybaby Nazi/KKK supporter that cowers from the point that your idiotic moral equivalence is really immoral racism.
1312. ETTD.

Oliver!
Red Shirt

Unread post by Oliver! »

Sorry if offended you. You may want to get a new coloring book and a fresh box of crayons.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Oliver! wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:06 am
Sorry if offended you. You may want to get a new coloring book and a fresh box of crayons.
More like you got beat again.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”