President* Trump

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: President* Trump

Unread post by O Really »

So you'd agree he's a majorly divisive and polarizing figure?

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

O Really wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:06 pm
So you'd agree he's a majorly divisive and polarizing figure?
:lol: :lol: We're planning a beerfest Tuesday night. I'll present that question and give the answer then.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Leo Lyons wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:38 am
I used to see memes like this when I had Facebook. People latch onto them and share them because they think it points out hyopcrisy, and believe that by pointing out said hypocrisy it exonerates the person originally accused of of X because "everyone is the same".

This meme also seems to imply the three ladies above said they didn't vote for Trump because he degrades the image of women. I'm not gonna spend the time to verify, but in the past I've found most of these types of things to be false and completely baseless. Most of the time nothing of the sort was ever said. The problem is most people accept these things as fact without verifying anything of the sort was ever said. It feeds their addiction to outrage and like a drug gives them a dopamine kick.

Seems like this meme is an oddly specific straw man aimed at inserting itself into the minds of dull Facebook users in need of feeling superior to someone or something.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Well dammit. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I do have a Facebook account, but I don't post on it; and as you say, it's slam full of bullsh*it like this meme that I copied off it. I thought the meme was funny, just as the Trump walking on water meme that you all praised so highly.
I'm guessing that Trump-hating celebrities fondling themselves and mimicking intercourse on a stage is totally acceptable, but Trump's (or anyone else) saying he would like to grab one of them by the pussy is not acceptable? Oh, the hypocritical butthurt.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

In Leo Lyons world:

When a rightwing extremist judge is accused of attempted rape it becomes "sexual improprieties".
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2690&p=88087&hilit= ... ies#p88087

When a GOP POTUS is accused of and admits to sexual assault, and is accused of peeping on undressed mid-teen girls, it becomes "degraded the image of women in society".

In other words, according to this former LEO, boys will be boys an the girls are asking for it.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:26 pm
In Leo Lyons world:

When a rightwing extremist judge is accused of attempted rape it becomes "sexual improprieties".
None is so blind that they will not see. Read the rest of my post regarding legal definitions instead of cherry-picking.

When a GOP POTUS is accused of and admits to sexual assault, and is accused of peeping on undressed mid-teen girls, it becomes "degraded the image of women in society".
His problem, not mine. Are you jealous he had a better "look" in life? :lol: These 3 degraded their own "image of women in society"

In other words, according to this former LEO, boys will be boys an (sic) the girls are asking for it.
No, that's according to you; your words.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Leo Lyons wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:57 pm
Well dammit. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I do have a Facebook account, but I don't post on it; and as you say, it's slam full of bullsh*it like this meme that I copied off it. I thought the meme was funny, just as the Trump walking on water meme that you all praised so highly.
I'm guessing that Trump-hating celebrities fondling themselves and mimicking intercourse on a stage is totally acceptable, but Trump's (or anyone else) saying he would like to grab one of them by the pussy is not acceptable? Oh, the hypocritical butthurt.
No feelings hurt here.

I think memes cross into the realm of "fake-news" when they imply someone said something they didn't. I think it's important to call out false political narratives when you see them.

We ought to hold the President, the person holding the highest public office in the nation, representing ALL Americans, to a higher standard than entertainment celebrities working the private sector.

O Really
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:

Well put, except for the "hypocritical" part. Of course what one does to/for themselves or allows others to do is acceptable while unwanted/forced touching/fondling/pussygrabbing is not. You really don't see the difference?

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Whack9 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:01 am
Leo Lyons wrote:
No feelings hurt here.
I'm being facetious. :lol:

I think memes cross into the realm of "fake-news" when they imply someone said something they didn't. I think it's important to call out false political narratives when you see them.
To me, memes are to ridicule and point out absurdities; never to be taken seriously. I get a huge kick out of surfing Facebook seeing the memes posted by Libs and Cons; each vehemently screeching about who did what and what they're going to do.

We ought to hold the President, the person holding the highest public office in the nation, representing ALL Americans, to a higher standard than entertainment celebrities working the private sector.
Agreed. The implication is that vulgar celebs are OK for public viewing; whereas profile people should be "run out of town on a rail" for their lewdness. Strangely enough, Cons and Christians feel the need to overlook Trump's discretions as long as he's "doing a good job for our country". (I've found no one who can define "good job", though). OTOH, Libs see nothing wrong with celebs who call out politicians for their dirty little indiscretions displaying lewdness on the stage; because they're only entertaining.
O Really wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:10 am
Leo Lyons wrote:

Well put, except for the "hypocritical" part. Of course what one does to/for themselves or allows others to do is acceptable while unwanted/forced touching/fondling/pussygrabbing is not. You really don't see the difference?
Yes, I see the difference; however, had Trump been a Dem...(you know.)
From above: Libs see nothing wrong with celebs, who call out politicians for their dirty little indiscretions, displaying lewdness on the stage; because they're only entertaining.

O Really
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:52 am
OTOH, Libs see nothing wrong with celebs who call out politicians for their dirty little indiscretions displaying lewdness on the stage; because they're only entertaining. [/color]
[/quote]

Yes, those people probably know the difference in real life and acting.
But really, if Trump had kept on being a Democrat, he'd never have made it to the primary. Which I believe is actually a major reason why he became a Republican since he was getting no traction as a Dem. He "do love the poorly educated" doesn't he.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:15 am
Yes, those people probably know the difference in real life and acting.
So, IRL they're just acting like they hate Trump, but their lewdness is real? :lol:

But really, if Trump had kept on being a Democrat, he'd never have made it to the primary. Which I believe is actually a major reason why he became a Republican since he was getting no traction as a Dem.
I was surprised he even got the nod in the primaries!

He "do love the poorly educated" doesn't he.
And they love him! :roll:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:26 pm
In Leo Lyons world:

When a rightwing extremist judge is accused of attempted rape it becomes "sexual improprieties" or "dirty little indiscretions".

When a GOP POTUS is accused of and admits to sexual assault, and is accused of peeping on undressed mid-teen girls, it becomes "degraded the image of women in society" or "dirty little indiscretions".

In other words, according to this former LEO, boys will be "dirty little" boys and the girls are asking for it.
Last edited by Vrede too on Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:29 am
"an (sic) the girls are asking for it.
Pity YOU'VE never been asked; or invited. <smirk!> :P :P

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Leo Lyons wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:52 am

To me, memes are to ridicule and point out absurdities; never to be taken seriously. I get a huge kick out of surfing Facebook seeing the memes posted by Libs and Cons; each vehemently screeching about who did what and what they're going to do.

Agreed. The implication is that vulgar celebs are OK for public viewing; whereas profile people should be "run out of town on a rail" for their lewdness. Strangely enough, Cons and Christians feel the need to overlook Trump's discretions as long as he's "doing a good job for our country". (I've found no one who can define "good job", though). OTOH, Libs see nothing wrong with celebs who call out politicians for their dirty little indiscretions displaying lewdness on the stage; because they're only entertaining.

Both of us having browsed Facebook one time or another I'm sure we can agree that most people are incredibly susceptible to "fake-news". The entire period leading up to the 2016 election was filled with such nonsense. Many of us were influenced by this stuff to a certain extent.

Knowing that, I think it's important to discredit things that spread false narratives. Especially nowadays when you've got a direct pipeline into peoples minds via Facebook and so forth. Liberal or conservative, call 'em out.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Why are 'consent' and 'hypocritical' such difficult words for some people?
Why are some people such prudes about sex?

I may or may not be entertained by what some exhibitionist celebs do on TV or the stage, but I'm less offended by it than I am by, say, the obscenity of boxing, MMA, Army ads or positive depictions of narcs. Those are my tastes. Regardless, that's TV, it has no comparison to real world attempted rape, sexual assault, and peeping on the underaged.

Or, take Dolt .45's dalliances. Do I think they make him unfit to lead or think that Dems don't so the same? No, I only care because of:
1. It's fun to expose the hypocrisy of the 'family values' GOP and especially evangelicals;
2. His stupid lies once caught;
3. Most importantly, the felonious campaign finance violations with the hush money payouts.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:02 pm

Or, take Dolt .45's dalliances. Do I think they make him unfit to lead or think that Dems don't so the same?
Lots of people in all parties have gotten caught in dalliances, and many have had dalliances they didn't get caught at. The difference is everybody else knows it's socially unacceptable and/or wrong and has the common sense/decency to at least act contrite when they're caught. Trump doesn't. That has the has the potential to change societal acceptance of such behaviour and normalize it. That's not good.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Whack9 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:13 pm
Both of us having browsed Facebook one time or another I'm sure we can agree that most people are incredibly susceptible to "fake-news". The entire period leading up to the 2016 election was filled with such nonsense. Many of us were influenced by this stuff to a certain extent.
I didn't join Facebook until early to mid 2017; I didn't see much of the idiocy before then; what's being posted now is entertainment enough!

Knowing that, I think it's important to discredit things that spread false narratives. Especially nowadays when you've got a direct pipeline into peoples minds via Facebook and so forth. Liberal or conservative, call 'em out.
I do; and I've pissed off plenty of people by pointing out false bullshit, generally with links that debunk their memes; even people I'm not FB friends with. If their privacy settings aren't set right, they're going to get my comments! I've been blocked, unfriended, unfollowed, and whatever else they can do; even been reported as a spammer! :lol: :lol:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:34 pm
Lots of people in all parties have gotten caught in dalliances, and many have had dalliances they didn't get caught at. The difference is everybody else knows it's socially unacceptable and/or wrong and has the common sense/decency to at least act contrite when they're caught. Trump doesn't. That has the has the potential to change societal acceptance of such behaviour and normalize it. That's not good.
I hear your point, but President* Trump is still lying about whether the dalliances even happened. I guess that's a backhanded recognition that they're bad.

Anyhow, affairs and rumored affairs with consenting adults have never decided my vote, though publicly lying about them would. I figure it's up to the spouse to do the punishing.

Another example - I would not have really cared that Bill Clinton was a dog, but it did bother me that he abused the power relationship with an intern.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:49 pm

Another example - I would not have really cared that Bill Clinton was a dog, but it did bother me that he abused the power relationship with an intern.
I don't want to re-litigate the ballad of Bill and Monica, but I'm not so sure her internship as a 24-year old adult was that significant. She was obviously (and admittedly) smitten with him at the time and he was the effin' President. I doubt the power difference would have mattered much if she had been completely disconnected from the White House. He's still the effin' President of the US. But sure, I'll accept that any relationship with a person in the position of President will be a power imbalance.