Heroes

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Heroes

Unread post by Vrede too »

rstrong wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:27 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:30 am
GOP Rep. Tom Rooney Breaks Ranks On Russia Report: 'We've Lost All Credibility'

Pretty significant given that he's awful on most everything else.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Roone ... olitician)
He's announced that he's not seeking reelection, so he's retrieved his conscience from storage. He's also switched from shaking his pom-poms for any utterly insane thing the NRA wants - including letting the insane have guns and ammo - to publicly questioning whether people should have AR-15s or bump stocks.
Ah, Heroes was the wrong topic then. Sorry.

Elizabeth Warren Tells Ben Carson To His Face: You Should Be Fired
During a Senate hearing, Warren ripped the secretary for his short and ineffective HUD tenure.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

rstrong wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:14 am
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:30 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:28 pm
That's how I knew that she is a hero. :D
And that she was quickly fired from her job at government contractor Akima LLC.

Using the most offensive employee rights and freedom of speech stomping reasoning possible.
Update: Woman fired for giving Donald Trump the middle finger sues employer

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

rstrong wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:09 pm
rstrong wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:14 am
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:30 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:28 pm
That's how I knew that she is a hero. :D
And that she was quickly fired from her job at government contractor Akima LLC.

Using the most offensive employee rights and freedom of speech stomping reasoning possible.
Update: Woman fired for giving Donald Trump the middle finger sues employer
Fliipping trump off is clearly free speech. I'm not so sure about violating her company social media policy.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

She's got an interesting theory to her complaint - the former employer is a government contractor and she's saying the company (unlawfully) canned her out of fear of reprisal from the government. Her actual complaint is discrimination or disparate treatment as she has examples of other employees with vulgar/obscene social media posts who did not get fired. She doesn't want her job back, and doesn't want much money outside of legal fees and the additional two weeks severance she was allegedly promised upon termination. Mostly she wants to create some inconvenience and bad press for the stupidity of the company that fired her.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:26 am
She's got an interesting theory to her complaint - the former employer is a government contractor and she's saying the company (unlawfully) canned her out of fear of reprisal from the government. Her actual complaint is discrimination or disparate treatment as she has examples of other employees with vulgar/obscene social media posts who did not get fired.

Yeah, this article has a little more detail:
Woman Fired After Flipping Off Trump's Motorcade Sues Former Employer

... In a lawsuit filed Wednesday in Virginia’s Fairfax County Circuit Court, Briskman’s lawyers argue that Akima violated state employment law in firing her because it is illegal for a government contractor to terminate an employee out of fear of unlawful government retaliation....

“I filed this lawsuit against my former employer today because I believe that Americans should not be forced to choose between their principles and their paychecks,” Briskman said in a statement. “Working for a company that does business with the federal government should provide you with greater opportunities, but it should never limit your ability to criticize that government in your private time.” ...
Seems reasonable, we'll see if it flies.
O Really wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:26 am
She doesn't want her job back, and doesn't want much money outside of legal fees and the additional two weeks severance she was allegedly promised upon termination. Mostly she wants to create some inconvenience and bad press for the stupidity of the company that fired her.
Sounds correct. I wouldn't go to the hassle over $2,692.30. Maybe she also wanted to see the pic published thousands of more times. :D :evil: :thumbup: I'm proud that rstrong, billy.pilgrim and BRD are doing our part.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:26 am
“Working for a company that does business with the federal government should provide you with greater opportunities, but it should never limit your ability to criticize that government in your private time.” ...
Seems reasonable, we'll see if it flies.
And if it doesn't....

Think of how many people work for the government directly, or for companies that do business with the government. That includes everyone working for military contractors. Road workers. Anyone working for newspapers and other media that either bills the government for space or wants their reporters to be able to attend a press conference.

That's a very large percentage of American citizens who would lose their right to criticize the government OUTSIDE or their jobs.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:49 am
And if it doesn't....

Think of how many people work for the government directly, or for companies that do business with the government. That includes everyone working for military contractors. Road workers. Anyone working for newspapers and other media that either bills the government for space or wants their reporters to be able to attend a press conference.

That's a very large percentage of American citizens who would lose their right to criticize the government OUTSIDE or their jobs.
I don't know how many states besides VA have this law protecting the workers for government contractors. Could be that few workers have the protection now.

Off the top of my head, I wonder if she'll have difficulty proving that there was fear of government retaliation as opposed to the company just saying, 'No, we just didn't like the image she associated our company with.' There's also the complexity of her not saying that she worked for Akima LLC on her Facebook page - can it claim potential embarrassment or not?

I'm guessing that she will lose, but that's completely out of my ignorance. Anyhow, she gets the "inconvenience and bad press for the stupidity of the company" that O Really mentions, regardless.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

She would likely lose if it went to court, but unless the company management is totally comprised of idiots (which, given actions we already know about, it may be), they'll realize it would cost more just to prepare and file an answer to her complaint than what she's asking for. I'd throw $3K at her and try to get it to go away before I looked like more of a fool than I already have.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:49 am
... That's a very large percentage of American citizens who would lose their right to criticize the government OUTSIDE or their jobs.
We're not in Canada. VA, like NC, probably all of the South and many other states is an "at will employment" state. One can be fired for any reason or no reason at all as long as it's not a proven narrowly defined prohibited one. That's why I think her hurdle is high. Take away the difficult to prove 'fear of government retaliation' angle and one can be fired just for not liking POSPOTUS while a “You’re a fucking Libtard asshole” worker is not. Her claim of discrimination between the two is evidence in support of her 'fear of government retaliation' claim, not sufficient to win on its own.

Disclaimer: I think this sucks and want far stronger worker protections. I'm just describing my perception of how things are.

O Really wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:36 pm
She would likely lose if it went to court, but unless the company management is totally comprised of idiots (which, given actions we already know about, it may be), they'll realize it would cost more just to prepare and file an answer to her complaint than what she's asking for. I'd throw $3K at her and try to get it to go away before I looked like more of a fool than I already have.
I'm guessing that she did not approach the company privately or they would have already done this. Now that she's publicly shamed them, she may be fine with a settlement.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Yeah, most states are, legally, "employment at will." But IRL that's not usually a good enough reason if a termination is contested. That's because when the employer says "nya, nya, employment at will...", the claimant responds that whatever the reason offered for the termination (if any) is a pretense and the real reason was discriminatory or otherwise unlawful. At that point, the burden is on the employer to show that it did not discriminate. Most enforcement agencies, like EEOC, or most courts/juries don't believe the employer is really going to dump somebody for "no reason" so they want to hear the "any reason" part. If it turns out the employer is blowing smoke, or claims the employee was a poor performer but for which it has no documentation, the "discrimination" story starts to look more likely.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Trump Administration* - Fired / Quit

Just a bunch of poor performers.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:23 pm
Yeah, most states are, legally, "employment at will." But IRL that's not usually a good enough reason if a termination is contested. That's because when the employer says "nya, nya, employment at will...", the claimant responds that whatever the reason offered for the termination (if any) is a pretense and the real reason was discriminatory or otherwise unlawful. At that point, the burden is on the employer to show that it did not discriminate. Most enforcement agencies, like EEOC, or most courts/juries don't believe the employer is really going to dump somebody for "no reason" so they want to hear the "any reason" part. If it turns out the employer is blowing smoke, or claims the employee was a poor performer but for which it has no documentation, the "discrimination" story starts to look more likely.
Thanks. Not counting that whole 'fear of government retaliation' aspect, it's not illegal to discriminate on the basis of political views, is it?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:47 pm

Thanks. Not counting that whole 'fear of government retaliation' aspect, it's not illegal to discriminate on the basis of political views, is it?
No, and a lot of places do just that. Although not necessarily so blatant as to say "you're a libtard...get out." Interesting twist, though, in Tennessee and (I think) Kentucky and a couple of other places who rebelled against the anti-smoking efforts because of their ties to the tobacco industry. Because a lot of companies started not hiring smokers, these states passed a law that an employee could not be disciplined or discriminated against for legal activity or use of legal product outside of working time. But, as often happens when idiots pass laws without proper effect analysis, this law has been used for employees doing things other than smoking tobacco, including smoking weed in Colorado. So while Nazis have been summarily shown the door, along with some other people with views or behavior way outside the mainstream, those who are exited for more normal political views usually are railroaded for something else.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Natalie Portman addresses snub of 'Jewish Nobel,' backlash

Actress Natalie Portman has snubbed a prestigious prize known as the "Jewish Nobel," saying she did not want her attendance to be seen as an endorsement of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Portman was to have received the award in Israel in June and said in a statement issued early Saturday that her reasons for skipping the ceremony had been mischaracterized by others, and she is not part of the BDS, a Palestinian-led global movement of boycott, divestment and sanctions against Israel....

"Let me speak for myself. I chose not to attend because I did not want to appear as endorsing Benjamin Netanyahu, who was to be giving a speech at the ceremony," she wrote.

"Like many Israelis and Jews around the world, I can be critical of the leadership in Israel without wanting to boycott the entire nation. I treasure my Israeli friends and family, Israeli food, books, art, cinema, and dance.'"

She asked people to "not take any words that do not come directly from me as my own."

Israel faces some international criticism over its use of lethal force in response to mass protests along the Gaza border led by the Islamic militant group that rules the territory.

One Israeli lawmaker warned that Portman's decision is a sign of eroding support for Israel among young American Jews.

The Jerusalem-born Portman is a dual Israeli-American citizen. The Oscar-winning actress moved to the United States as a young girl, evolving from a child actress into a widely acclaimed A-list star. Portman received the 2011 best actress Academy Award for "Black Swan," and, in 2015, she directed and starred in "Tale of Love and Darkness," a Hebrew-language film set in Israel based on an Amos Oz novel. Her success is a great source of pride for many Israelis....

Since March 30, more than three dozen Palestinians have been killed by Israeli army fire, most of them in protests on the Gaza-Israeli border. Hundreds more have been wounded by Israeli troops during this time....
Damn. :clap: :-||

Here's the lying that she refers to:
Rights groups have branded open-fire rules as unlawful, saying they effectively permit soldiers to use potentially lethal force against unarmed protesters.

Israel's right-wing Culture Minister Miri Regev said in a statement Friday that she was sorry to hear that Portman "has fallen like a ripe fruit into the hands of BDS supporters," referring to the Palestinian-led boycott movement.

"Natalie, a Jewish actress born in Israel, is joining those who relate to the wondrous success story of Israel's rebirth as a story of 'darkness and darkness'," Regev said.
:roll: :cussing:
Rachel Azaria, a lawmaker from the centrist Kulanu party, warned that Portman's decision to stay away is a sign of eroding support for Israel among young American Jews.

"The cancellation by Natalie Portman needs to light warning signs," Azaria said in a statement. "She is totally one of us. She identifies with her Jewishness and Israeli-ness. She is expressing now the voices of many in U.S. Jewry, mainly those of the young generation. This is a community that was always a significant anchor for the state of Israel. The price of losing them could be too high."

Oren Hazan, a legislator in Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's right-wing Likud Party, called on the government to revoke Portman's Israeli citizenship.

Gilad Erdan, Israel's Public Security Minister said he sent a letter to Portman expressing his disappointment. "Sadly, it seems that you have been influenced by the campaign of media misinformation and lies regarding Gaza orchestrated by the Hamas terrorist group," he wrote....

The Genesis foundation said it was "very saddened" by Portman's decision and would cancel the prize ceremony, which had been set for June 28.

"We fear that Ms. Portman's decision will cause our philanthropic initiative to be politicized, something we have worked hard for the past five years to avoid," it said....
That ship sailed when y'all invited NuttyYahoo to speak.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Teacher of the year sends Trump message without speaking

The nation’s teacher of the year let her buttons do the talking Wednesday after she was presented the distinguished honor by President Trump at a White House ceremony.

Mandy Manning, a teacher at Joel E. Ferris High School in Spokane, Wash., wore several buttons that seemed to rebuke the president’s priorities as she accepted a crystal apple trophy. One was for the Peace Corps and one for the National Endowment for the Arts, one commemorated the Women’s March, and one read “Trans Equality Now.”

Trump’s 2019 budget called for gutting NEA funding and drastically slashing money for the Peace Corps. In March, the president signed an executive order banning the vast majority of transgender troops from serving in the U.S. military....

For the last six years, Manning has taught English and math to immigrant students from places like Sudan, Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan. Of that list, only Syria remains targeted by Trump’s latest travel ban.

“They’re forced to leave wherever they’re from, whether they’re immigrants or refugees,” Manning said in an April interview with “CBS This Morning.” “And so they come to the United States with this hope that it’s going to be somehow different, and I continue to hear that from the students. They’re like, ‘Well, this is my chance. This is where I have an opportunity to have dreams and actually achieve those dreams.'”

It’s unclear whether Trump read or was made aware of Manning’s buttons, and the Washington teacher did not speak following the presentation of the award. She was, however, able to hand Trump a stack of letters written by her students, as well as by members of her community, the Associated Press reported.

“I just had a very, very brief moment so I made it clear that the students that I teach … are dedicated and focused,” Manning told the Associated Press. “They make the United States the beautiful place that it is.”
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

On Marian Wright Edelman’s New Role

On November 14, (79 year old) Marian Wright Edelman announced that after 45 years as the President of the Children’s Defense Fund she will be transitioning to the role of President Emerita in the Office of the Founder. She will continue to be the strong moral voice that this nation badly needs, insisting that child poverty in the United States is an unacceptable, unnecessary, and costly choice. She will continue to call upon us to follow her lead in the steady work of demanding justice for children. Ms. Edelman’s legacy (still in the making!) lies in showing the facts about the needs of children, delivering these facts with compelling moral urgency, and inspiring advocates nationwide to work together to improve children’s lives.

Ms. Edelman likes to wear the image of Sojourner Truth at her neck, and often tells a story about that great freedom fighter, also recounted in Edelman’s famous book The Measure of Our Success: A Letter to My Children and Yours. An old man heckled Sojourner Truth as she was delivering an anti-slavery speech. He said, “ ‘Old woman, do you think that your talk about slavery does any good? Why I don’t care any more for your talk than I do for the bite of a flea.’ ‘Perhaps not, but the Lord willing, I’ll keep you scratching,’ she replied.” ...
:-||
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Yeah, I saw this on the network news last night; significant; the Corps is not known for saying anything against the boss. Actually may be the first time.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Judge indicted in Massachusetts for refusing to allow undocumented immigrant to be detained

A state judge in Massachusetts was indicted Thursday for refusing to allow ICE to take custody of an undocumented immigrant, according to court papers....

State court judges have voiced opposition to ICE agents making courthouse arrests as part of the Trump administration’s enforcement crackdown.

"Courthouses should not be used as bait in the necessary enforcement of our country’s immigration laws," California Supreme Court Chief Justice Cantil-Sakauye wrote in a 2017 letter to then-Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

Immigrant advocates and experts say ICE’s court house arrests can intimidate potential witnesses and compromise the judicial process....
There are the people that helped Anne Frank . . . and the ones that didn't.
1312. ETTD.