Presidents* Trump & Putin bromance

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Presidents* Trump & Putin bromance

Unread post by O Really »

Semantics, and sure they can be used interchangeably. You can "poll" your office mates on what to get for lunch. But in the context of professional political polling, it is a more formal and statistically-based process than a "survey" that just counts clicks. Nevertheless, my late grammar and usage-picky Mum would be proud of you. :roll:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:48 pm
Semantics, and sure they can be used interchangeably. You can "poll" your office mates on what to get for lunch. But in the context of professional political polling, it is a more formal and statistically-based process than a "survey" that just counts clicks. Nevertheless, my late grammar and usage-picky Mum would be proud of you. :roll:
Wasn't trying to bust you. I thought that I was ignorant.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:50 pm
. I thought that I was ignorant.
Not something I would have ever considered. :)

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:04 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:50 pm
. I thought that I was ignorant.
Not something I would have ever considered. :)
I'm better at pausing to look stuff up than I am at knowing stuff.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Found:
In 1974 (44 years and 1 day ago) Richard Milhous Nixon resigned.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:09 am
Found:
You left out

And was awarded a full pardon for his crimes.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:38 am
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:09 am
Found:
You left out

And was awarded a full pardon for his crimes.
I have mixed feelings about that. At the time, I was pissed off. In hindsight, idk, maybe Ford did the best thing for the country, maybe not. Maybe it was even okay if Ford made a deal ahead of time if it got Nixon out sooner. I am fine with Ford losing in 1976 because of it, part of our healing purge and most of us did hate him at the time for the pardon. Was my first POTUS election.
I wonder what most historians think. I found several articles like this drawing conclusions from a few historians, but no polls:

Historians Tending to Support Pardon of Nixon
April 08, 1989

Poll finds nearly a Nixon level of support for impeaching Trump
2018-06-22

March 1974: "President Richard Nixon, who 43% of Americans said should be impeached and removed from office ..."

Now: "42% of Americans say President Donald Trump should be impeached and removed from office."
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Found:
IQ45 made one true statement in the last 2.5 years. He said that if I 'voted for Hillary, there would be nothing but scandal and investigations in the White House.' So I voted for Hillary....and sure enough, there has been nothing but scandal and investigations in the White House. See, no lie there!
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:25 pm
Found:
IQ45 made one true statement in the last 2.5 years. He said that if I 'voted for Hillary, there would be nothing but scandal and investigations in the White House.' So I voted for Hillary....and sure enough, there has been nothing but scandal and investigations in the White House. See, no lie there!

what is an IQ45?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:54 pm
what is an IQ45?
45th POTUS has an IQ of 45. Not the reason I liked the post but I left it in.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Former Manafort associate reveals illegal foreign payment to Trump’s inauguration
Patten also pleaded guilty to failing to register as a foreign agent.

W. Samuel Patten, an associate of former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort, admitted on Friday that he paid $50,000 for tickets to President Donald Trump's inauguration for a pro-Russian Ukrainian oligarch he was representing and another Russian individual.

The disclosure, included as part of a plea agreement Patten entered into with prosecutors, appears to be the first official confirmation that money from pro-Russian interests was funneled to the Trump inaugural committee in order to help foreigners gain access to events connected to Trump’s January 2017 swearing-in ceremony.

It is illegal for foreign nationals or foreign entities to contribute to a presidential inaugural committee. Prosecutors revealed in a court filing Friday that Patten paid the money to a “straw purchaser” who was an American to buy the tickets from the inaugural committee without revealing they were actually financed by a foreign individual. The documents contained no suggestion that anyone connected to the inaugural committee was aware of the transaction.

Patten was not charged in connection with the payment, but pleaded guilty to failing to register as a foreign lobbyist in the United States for a pro-Russian Ukrainian political party. As part of that arrangement, he agreed to cooperate in various ongoing investigations, including special counsel Robert Mueller’s probe into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election and whether Trump associates played any role in it....
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Check out the 4 homes Paul Manafort must forfeit

The plea agreement between Paul Manafort and special counsel Robert Mueller requires him to hand over four properties acquired or furnished with ill-gotten money, including a lavish estate in the tony Hamptons, on Long Island, New York.

The four homes are worth about $16 million, combined, according to estimates from real-estate firm Zillow. Manafort will also hand over $30 million or so in cash and other assets, including a life-insurance policy. In exchange, Manafort will serve a prison sentence not to exceed 10 years. And he’ll cooperate in the ongoing investigation into Russian interference with the 2016 U.S. elections.

If you’re on the market for a fancy house once owned by a now-notorious criminal, here are the four Manafort properties you may soon be able to buy from the government: ...
Comments:
Mueller investigation has cost about $8.5 million so far.

Manafort just forfeited $46 million in assets and cash as part of plea.

Looks as if the investigation is making the taxpayers money.
Mueller just paid for his entire investigation. Looks like Mueller built a (prison) wall around Paul Manafort and made Paul Manafort pay for it!
Yep, Manafort is a good man who Trump respects. The man just plead guilty to conspiracy against the United States. Thank you Robert Mueller. Keep up the good work.
We just heard what may be the five most frightening words for President Trump yet: “He’s agreed to fully cooperate.”
Mueller didn’t agree to the plea deal for real estate. This is ALL about the Tower meetings with Jr and Kushner.
:D :thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Manafort’s capitulation leaves a wide-open field for Mueller’s team

Paul Manafort surrendered in his long battle with the special counsel’s office yesterday, pleading guilty in a Washington, D.C., courtroom to two counts of “conspiracy against the United States,” admitting his culpability to charges on which a jury in Virginia had not been able to reach a verdict, forfeiting tens of millions of dollars in real estate and other assets, and, crucially, agreeing to cooperate with prosecutors. The collapse of Manafort’s defensive line appears to leave exposed flanks in elite lobbying circles, in the boardrooms of Manafort’s lenders, at one of the world’s largest law firms, and, perhaps most importantly, at the White House....
Reminds me of when one of those high end Madames starts talking . . . oh wait, it's the same thing.

Comments:
What I love most about the proceedings is that the government now owns Manafort's apt. in Trump Towers.
When you look at all the special prosecutors since Watergate, this one has accomplished more in less time with more monetary return than any other one, hands down, by multiple factors. Thank you Mr Mueller, America owes you for your diligence, honesty and honor, Sir.
Did anyone notice the silence from trump when it was announced Manafort plead guilty and was cooperating?
If only there was video of him when he heard.
What Yahoo didn't report was in the courtroom it took 40 minutes to read aloud the 38 pages of charges against Manafort that he plead guilty to.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Nobody Is Above the Law—Mueller Protection Rapid Response

Search 900+ events by zip code:
or browse by state

BREAKING: PROTESTS CALLED FOR THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 8, 5 PM LOCAL TIME
Donald Trump has installed a crony to oversee the special counsel's Trump-Russia investigation, crossing a red line set to protect the investigation. By replacing Rod Rosenstein with just-named Acting Attorney General Matt Whitaker as special counsel Robert Mueller's boss on the investigation, Trump has undercut the independence of the investigation. Whitaker has publicly outlined strategies to stifle the investigation and cannot be allowed to remain in charge of it. The Nobody Is Above the Law network demands that Whitaker immediately commit not to assume supervision of the investigation. Our hundreds of response events are being launched to demonstrate the public demand for action to correct this injustice. We will update this page as the situation develops.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Interesting tidbit about the new "acting attorney general." According to right-wing Faux legal analyst and former Judge Napolito, the legal requirements to be acting AG are: (1) be a current assistant; (2) be in a current position that requires Senate approval; or (3) be appointed during Senate recess.
According to Judge Nap, Trump can't give this guy the job.

So, assuming Nap to be right (big assumption, I know), any action he took or decision made would be subject to challenge on some pretty strong grounds.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:53 pm
Interesting tidbit about the new "acting attorney general." According to right-wing Faux legal analyst and former Judge Napolito, the legal requirements to be acting AG are: (1) be a current assistant; (2) be in a current position that requires Senate approval; or (3) be appointed during Senate recess.
According to Judge Nap, Trump can't give this guy the job.

So, assuming Nap to be right (big assumption, I know), any action he took or decision made would be subject to challenge on some pretty strong grounds.
Irony. He's not the only one:

Trump’s Appointment of the Acting Attorney General Is Unconstitutional
The president is evading the requirement to seek the Senate’s advice and consent for the nation’s chief law enforcement officer and the person who will oversee the Mueller investigation.

Neal K. Katyal was an acting solicitor general under President Barack Obama and is a lawyer at Hogan Lovells in Washington. George T. Conway III (husband of White House adviser Kellyanne Conway :D ) is a litigator at Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz in New York.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

ABC News says that something called the "Vacancy" Law or Rule makes it legit, idk.
1312. ETTD.