Trump Nocare

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
bannination
Captain

Re: Trump Nocare

Unread post by bannination »

k9nanny wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:31 pm
OK. Am I missing something here? A motion to proceed doesn't pass anything. Does it?
Wasn't this a vote on a blank sheet of paper, to be filled in whenever?
Good luck with that. The Republican wing nuts and the Republican moderates ain't never going to agree. Throw Democrats into the mix, and I'll wager we're no closer to repeal/replace than we were.

The chest thumping seems a bit gratuitous, as does the gnashing of teeth on the other side.
I think you're right, they voted to debate? Who knows.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:56 am
preexisting condition for me ...

Sorry to hear that.

... Single payer is the only real solution; to consider anything else is bullshit.

Getting talked about a lot more these days, doesn't mean it'll go anywhere.

Obama could have sold it. For some reason he didn't try.

He left it to the Senate. Thanks to the "leadership" of bastard DINOs Baucus, Nelson, and Liebowitz, they wouldn't even allow discussion of it in hearings. Would have been nice for Obama to do more, but he really pissed me off when he caved on the public option.
k9nanny wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:31 pm
OK. Am I missing something here? A motion to proceed doesn't pass anything. Does it?

No, it just allows debate. Parliamentary procedure is its own science.

Wasn't this a vote on a blank sheet of paper, to be filled in whenever?...

Yes, they don't even know which DonTcare bill they'll be voting on yet.
Senate GOP moves forward on health care bill in dramatic procedural vote
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:26 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:56 am
preexisting condition for me ...

Sorry to hear that.

... Single payer is the only real solution; to consider anything else is bullshit.

Getting talked about a lot more these days, doesn't mean it'll go anywhere.

Obama could have sold it. For some reason he didn't try.

He left it to the Senate. Thanks to the "leadership" of bastard DINOs Baucus, Nelson, and Liebowitz, they wouldn't even allow discussion of it in hearings. Would have been nice for Obama to do more, but he really pissed me off when he caved on the public option.

There is an actual preexisting condition now. The earlier preexisting condition claimed by bcbs resulted from a doctor talking me into taking an antidepressant to help quit smoking 19 years ago.
I had stopped my heavy tobacco smoking habit two weeks prior to seeing the doctor for annual checkup. He recommended several times that I take the "new" smoking cessation drug and suggested that if I told him that I felt depressed insurance would pay, but for smoking cessation insurance would not pay.

Like a typical insurance ignorant consumer I took his advice and spent the next 16 years paying for my mistake. No more insurance problems thanks to Medicare.

As my rates skyrocketed I checked into Florida's wonderful high risk pool that Joe asshole Scarborough talks so much about. This was 10 or 12 years ago and we were paying about $300/month for a family plan.
bcbs said that it didn't matter what my preexisting condition was, just that I had one and that they would be happy to keep my family on the family plan and give me an individual policy for $65,000.00 per year.

That's where we are heading. Next stop repealing the law requiring hospitals to serve those who can't pay.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Damn! BCBS must suck worse in Florida than it does here. When the hubs first signed on with them, they wouldn't pay for anything related to his blood pressure for a year, maybe two.

I've been fortunate to have the same policy since 1976. The last increase was in 1990, up to $52.07. Routine exams and labs are not covered, but even with the de-luxe annual, I'm well under the $900 monthly premium my husband pays. I've never been denied non-routine coverage. Ever.

My doctor is not a hospitalist. He sends lab stuff out, none of this being sent across the street to Pardee, and it's half of what Pardee charges. His office does their own billing. It's like going back 25 years with this guy.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

k9nanny wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:27 am
Damn! BCBS must suck worse in Florida than it does here. When the hubs first signed on with them, they wouldn't pay for anything related to his blood pressure for a year, maybe two.

I've been fortunate to have the same policy since 1976. The last increase was in 1990, up to $52.07. Routine exams and labs are not covered, but even with the de-luxe annual, I'm well under the $900 monthly premium my husband pays. I've never been denied non-routine coverage. Ever.

My doctor is not a hospitalist. He sends lab stuff out, none of this being sent across the street to Pardee, and it's half of what Pardee charges. His office does their own billing. It's like going back 25 years with this guy.

My mom has an old bcbs of Ala. policy that allows her to live anywhere in the US. The bcbs policy we had before the aca would be automatically cancelled if we moved outside of Florida.
Seems almost unconstitutional
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I've never really understood why some insurance policies are state-specific, or primarily regulated by states. If you look at it, there is very little rhyme or reason. Life insurance policies are not, and I don't think the accessory policies (Aflac, etc.) are, either. Auto insurance is, but coverage is still in effect no matter where you're driving. Employer-based coverage may be affected by the state of residence, depending on whether the insurance company does business there, but for something like CIGNA, you keep the same coverage no matter where you live. Maybe BCBS is different because each one is a separate state-based (theoretically) not-for-profit organization? You have "BCBS of Florida" for example, but you don't see "Aetna of Florida." But according to the main BCBS website, about a third of Americans get their insurance there, so it's a sad state of affairs if an insurer covering that large a group isn't required to provide a consistent level of coverage/service.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I don't know the history of it and don't care which we choose, but when cons gripe about not being able to buy health insurance across state lines it's fun to point out that they are necessarily saying that they prefer federal regulation over state regulation. I don't think they ever respond.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

O Really wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:30 am
I've never really understood why some insurance policies are state-specific, or primarily regulated by states.
It's (officially, at least) a states' rights issue. By not allowing interstate insurance, insurance doesn't become "interstate commerce." The states can continue to regulate it (or not), and not the federal government. (See the McCarran–Ferguson Act of 1945.)

For insurance companies it means that they're exempt from most federal regulation, including most federal antitrust laws. They're free to buy out or collude with the competition, becoming and acting like monopolies.

These days though it can also protect American consumers. Allow interstate insurance, and the insurers would all quickly become Delaware Corporations. You do not want that.

bannination
Captain

rstrong wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:27 am

These days though it can also protect American consumers. Allow interstate insurance, and the insurers would all quickly become Delaware Corporations. You do not want that.
I've never even considered that. Yikes, take some of my imaginary karma. +1

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:30 am
I've never really understood why some insurance policies are state-specific, or primarily regulated by states. If you look at it, there is very little rhyme or reason. Life insurance policies are not, and I don't think the accessory policies (Aflac, etc.) are, either. Auto insurance is, but coverage is still in effect no matter where you're driving. Employer-based coverage may be affected by the state of residence, depending on whether the insurance company does business there, but for something like CIGNA, you keep the same coverage no matter where you live. Maybe BCBS is different because each one is a separate state-based (theoretically) not-for-profit organization? You have "BCBS of Florida" for example, but you don't see "Aetna of Florida." But according to the main BCBS website, about a third of Americans get their insurance there, so it's a sad state of affairs if an insurer covering that large a group isn't required to provide a consistent level of coverage/service.

It's simply a way to get rid of people with preexisting conditions.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The petition to Democrats reads:

“It is time for Democrats to go on the offensive and take bold, decisive steps towards a health care system that puts people over profits. The majority of the country supports single-payer health care. Join Sens. Sanders, Merkley and Warren and Rep. Conyers to support legislation that would extend Medicare to all Americans."
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Now we know, for a Repub to do the right thing they have to be female or dying.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:14 pm
This link to this BC/BS ad was at the top of the Yahoo! page, no doubt targeted to me because I'm in NC or even more specifically WNC, but still.

Know the Facts About Mission Health’s Decision to Leave Blue Cross NC’s Network

"threatened ... false.... just not true.... demanded even higher prices. Enough is enough.... confusing ... simply false.... it’s wrong ..."

Whoa....
BC/BS is now running anti-Mission TV ads, too.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
... It would normally be automatic for me to side with the "nonprofit" provider over Big Insurance but Mission is so dominant in WNC as to have achieved a near monopoly. So, I don't know, but this will be a HUGE deal here.

Single payer, dammit!
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:11 pm
... BC/BS has a near monopoly in NC, and do have the ACA monopoly.
1312. ETTD.

bannination
Captain

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:51 pm
Vrede too wrote:
This link to this BC/BS ad was at the top of the Yahoo! page, no doubt targeted to me because I'm in NC or even more specifically WNC, but still.

Know the Facts About Mission Health’s Decision to Leave Blue Cross NC’s Network

"threatened ... false.... just not true.... demanded even higher prices. Enough is enough.... confusing ... simply false.... it’s wrong ..."

Whoa....
BC/BS is now running anti-Mission TV ads, too.
Funny how both parties have money for advertising/throwing dirt at each other.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

bannination wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:51 am
Have you seen Mission ads?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:38 am
Vrede too wrote:
... It would normally be automatic for me to side with the "nonprofit" provider over Big Insurance but Mission is so dominant in WNC as to have achieved a near monopoly. So, I don't know, but this will be a HUGE deal here.

Single payer, dammit!
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:11 pm
... BC/BS has a near monopoly in NC, and do have the ACA monopoly.
1st bcbs of ala has always treated my Mom right and I've never heard anything bad about them

but bcbs of fla is a whole different fucking story. for me it has been 19 years of hell - they even managed to drop me from my aca policy in 2015 and change my policy twice in 2016.

cute trick - 19 years ago I took out a high deductible pick my own doctor policy. at the time I wasn't aware that I could never go back to a better policy and couldn't imagine that on page 90 or so in the policy (that I never saw more than the dec page until weeks after the change) would indicate that the policy ran from June 1 each year.
This meant nothing until about the 3rd time in the 1st 5 or 6 years that they sent me a new policy after a couple of seemingly inconsequential word changes when I discoved:
1) after meeting my very high calendar year deductible in May that I now had a new deductible starting on June 1

and the salt in the wound

2) coupled with the changes to a policy come new rates allowing the insurance company to make their guaranteed profit. This might not be a big deal, but before applying to the state for this rate change the big blue assholes offer all policy holders without a preexisting condition an identical (except for a word or two), but much cheaper policy. This allows them to continue to raise rates on people with preexisting conditions until coverage is unaffordable.

Yeah, no need for regulations and federal oversight - leave it to the benevolence of the free market to purchase state governments as they see fit.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:38 pm
... leave it to the benevolence of the free market to purchase state governments as they see fit.
:D :thumbup: . . . :(
1312. ETTD.

bannination
Captain

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:24 pm
bannination wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:51 am
Have you seen Mission ads?
I could have sworn I did.