The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Probably not healthy, but I do find some small satisfaction watching all the big strong self-made mericans whining for help at the least sign of personal trouble.
But then, there are good people in Texas too and I am only too glad that my taxes and donations will go to help some of them. Too bad that the lion's share will go to enrich the kB&r and blackwater types.

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/24/get ... apitalism/

"For instance, the author Mike Davis tracked the way FEMA paid Shaw $175 a square foot to install blue tarps on damaged roofs, even though the tarps themselves were provided by the government. Once all the subcontractors took their share, the workers who actually hammered in the tarps were paid as little as $2 a square foot. “Every level of the contracting food chain, in other words, is grotesquely overfed except the bottom rung,” Davis wrote, “where the actual work is carried out.”

I think the 175/ft is a typo and should have been sq yard, but then this was the Cheney years where government only meant "profit center"

I do remember during Ivan that the FEMA debris contracts were $225/yard for hauling to the numerous close temporary county sites (fresh concrete delivered was $90/yard at the time), but everyone actually doing the work were mostly anyone with an old beat up pickup and a few teeth who earned about $15/yard.

"...immigrant workers. Some were not paid at all. On one Halliburton/KBR job site, undocumented immigrant workers reported being wakened in the middle of the night by their employer (a sub-subcontractor), who allegedly told them that immigration agents were on their way. Most workers fled to avoid arrest."

Watch out for the Q-tip
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help

Did dump really issue Disaster Declaration for the entire state of Texas?

That's what I'm hearing from the media.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

rstrong
Captain

Re: The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help

Unread post by rstrong »

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help"

That phrase was used very effectively by Reagan against Carter, along with his promise to shrink government and lower taxes.

In reality it's Carter that was responsible for major deregulation. Reagan grew government and spent like a drunken sailor, but passed the bill to the next generation.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

rstrong wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:17 pm
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help"

That phrase was used very effectively by Reagan against Carter, along with his promise to shrink government and lower taxes.

In reality it's Carter that was responsible for major deregulation. Reagan grew government and spent like a drunken sailor, but passed the bill to the next generation.
Yeah, the idiots do fall for silly slogans.

MAGAts one and all

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:12 pm
Did dump really issue Disaster Declaration for the entire state of Texas?

That's what I'm hearing from the media.
"State disaster declaration now covers 50 counties."
TX has 254 counties.

Trump makes disaster declaration for Hurricane Harvey

I can't find the specific answer to your question, but I suspect that the POTUS makes the general declaration and the Gov. names the counties.

However, if Dolt .45 declared all of TX a disaster it would be hard to argue with that. ;)
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

It was a clever attempt at humour by Reagan, but the reason it worked is that there had been a good bit of government "help" that not everybody - particularly Republican business types - liked. OSHA had only been around for 8 years or so, and was seen largely as an intrusion, along with the EEOC. And of course when Carter was President during the oil embargo there were government guidelines on keeping your thermostat at 68 at wearing a sweater. And not long before that were the wage/price controls of Nixon and Ford. The quip had a ready audience.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

O Really wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:55 pm
. . . The quip had a ready audience.
Quips always have an audience amongst the folks who just are not interested in and/or intellectually capable of grasping issues and actually thinking about them. Same for internet memes, bumper stickers and tweets.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.