Single hurricane thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Single hurricane thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:16 pm
... It looks like Cat 2 Hurricane Ophelia could make landfall as a Cat 1 . . . in Ireland or Iceland!

Aside: I was in hurricane force winds for weeks in the Southern Ocean. No fancy names, just 'Monday' or 'Thursday'. It really, really sucks.

Darn, I'd forgotten about this way cool real time global wind map that I think banni linked for us a long time ago. Just click and drag to change the view. You can see Ophelia and the typical Southern Ocean.
Was Cat 3 for a bit near the Azores, will make landfall as a Cat 1 in Ireland Mon. morning, Scotland as a TS Mon. night . . . then Norway! as a TS?
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:23 pm
Was Cat 3 for a bit near the Azores, will make landfall as a Cat 1 in Ireland Mon. morning, Scotland as a TS Mon. night . . .
Trump owns golf courses - both with shore erosion problems - in Ireland and Scotland.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

rstrong wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:50 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:23 pm
Was Cat 3 for a bit near the Azores, will make landfall as a Cat 1 in Ireland Mon. morning, Scotland as a TS Mon. night . . .
Trump owns golf courses - both with shore erosion problems - in Ireland and Scotland.

Will he stick his hand out for assistance?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

London sky turns yellow as storm blows in Saharan dust, Spanish smoke

... "As Ophelia has come up from the Azores, the storm has picked up Saharan dust from North Africa and picked up dust from wild fires in Spain and Portugal," a spokeswoman for Britain's Met Office said....
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Dogs over 20 lbs not allowed to fly and are being left to themselves.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/federal-b ... =DDMorning
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:51 am

image.jpeg
Our Gretchen is a native of Puerto Rico. She wound up in a SC dachshund rescue, and nobody wanted her because she was 9.
Anyway, despite United's publicity problems, they are the best at transporting dogs.
This breaks my heart. I can't imagine having to make this choice.

The big organizations, H$U$, North Shore, PETA, etc., have the finances to help these dogs move with their owners. They will transport only if they can sell them - I mean, if they can rehome them. Owning a Puerto Rican street dog, a Sabo, is all the rage.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

k9nanny wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:40 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:51 am

image.jpeg

Our Gretchen is a native of Puerto Rico. She wound up in a SC dachshund rescue, and nobody wanted her because she was 9.
Anyway, despite United's publicity problems, they are the best at transporting dogs.
This breaks my heart. I can't imagine having to make this choice.

The big organizations, H$U$, North Shore, PETA, etc., have the finances to help these dogs move with their owners. They will transport only if they can sell them - I mean, if they can rehome them. Owning a Puerto Rican street dog, a Sabo, is all the rage.

I understand the feds requiring cargo space going to PR, but not sure at all why they need the space leaving PR.

Likely reason = one size fits all no thinking required

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

I wonder why United got a pass, and none of the others did.
A United Airlines employee said the embargo was waived for them for last Wednesday until Oct. 31. “I don’t know how they are bypassing the federal embargo. They are the only ones letting pets on cargo,” Bedrosian said.
Those organizations I named have the bucks to charter a fleet of cargo planes.
Meanwhile, I would gladly pay passage for a couple of dogs to be reunited with their owners.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Petition to Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos:

"Help student borrowers in Puerto Rico by automatically enrolling them in a forbearance program that allows borrowers to forgo payments on their loans, interest-free, for six months or until the island is no longer in a state of emergency."
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Wingnutties
2016 election thread
Tree hugger
Trump
Hurricane

Or maybe this is suited for all

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2017/10/ ... =emaildkre

Reckon Mr zinke is involved?

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Zinke has apparently become quite unpopular in Montana since leaving for Trumpland. Maybe he's trying to buy back some favor.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:24 pm
Wingnutties
2016 election thread
Tree hugger
Trump
Hurricane

Or maybe this is suited for all

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2017/10/ ... =emaildkre

Reckon Mr zinke is involved?
Turns out that Whitefish Energy's owners and financial backers are big donors to Rick Perry, POSPOTUS and the RNC.

Cuba, South Florida, Bahamas In Line for Drenching as 93L Organizes

... The GFS and European model ensemble forecasts from 00Z Friday gave 93L a 50-70% chance of becoming a depression and a 25-30% chance of intensifying into a named storm. None of the 70 ensemble members generated a hurricane. In its 2 pm EDT tropical weather outlook, NHC gave 80% odds that 93L would develop into at least a tropical depression by midday Sunday. The next name on the Atlantic list is Philippe....

Figure 2. Precipitation forecast (in inches) for the 3-day period from 8 pm EDT Friday, October 27, 2017, to 8 pm EDT Monday, October 30.

Moisture from 93L will be funneled across the eastern U.S. in an atmospheric river on Saturday and Sunday, ahead of the approaching upper trough and cold front. Several north-south belts of heavy rain can be expected, with “training” cells moving from south to north along the corridors as they slowly translate east. One belt of heavy rain may produce 1 – 3” totals on Saturday along and west of the Appalachians, from Mississippi to Ohio. A second, more intense corridor will take shape Sunday from the mid-Atlantic coast and central Appalachians into eastern New York and New England. Widespread 2 – 6” amounts are possible, with even higher local totals, and flash floods are a distinct possibility. The heavy rain could extend eastward into New Hampshire and Maine, where there is some risk of river flooding as a result of heavy rains there in recent days.

A corridor of strong winds (perhaps 40 – 50 mph, with higher gusts) may slam into the coast just east of the surface low, roughly from Cape Cod to Maine, on Sunday night. The odds of damaging wind appear a bit lower than they did yesterday, given that it seems less likely there will be direct interaction between the surface low and 93L.

Some locations in the Northeast may well set all-time records for their heaviest calendar-day rainfall total during any October. There’s also a chance that barometric pressure will dip to all-time lows for October at one or more points across New England as the surface low zips northward on Sunday night. Multiple models are suggesting that the low may be deeper than 980 mb, while the October records north and east of New York are mostly between 978 and 983 mb (see Figure 3).
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

I've been watching tropical disturbance 18 on the National Hurricane Center site for a few days. It now has a >60% chance of turning into a tropical storm or hurricane.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:55 pm
I've been watching tropical disturbance 18 on the National Hurricane Center site for a few days. It now has a >60% chance of turning into a tropical storm or hurricane.
Same storm. From my link:
[Update: At 5 pm EDT Friday, the National Hurricane Center upgraded 93L to Potential Tropical Cyclone 18. The PTC designation, introduced earlier this year, applies to systems that are not yet full-fledged tropical cyclones but that could intensify and bring tropical-storm conditions to land areas within the next 48 hours.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

I saw a picture this morning of an active operating room in PR - all as it should be except the surgeons were performing the operation to the light of the assistants cell phone flashlights

this is sick - this is really fucking sick what this orange PoS is doing to these poor people.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Did I get this right?

The man/kid who got the $300,000,000.00 to repair and coordinate a huge technical construction operation in PR from a ski resort in montana is named Tech-man-ski.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:05 am
Did I get this right?

The man/kid who got the $300,000,000.00 to repair and coordinate a huge technical construction operation in PR from a ski resort in montana is named Tech-man-ski.
Established in 2015, WEH is led by industry veteran Andy Techmanski who is a trained journeyman lineman with over 22 years of experience completing critical utility infrastructure projects worldwide.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Petition to Congress:

"Support the Just Rebuild for Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands Act of 2017, sponsored by Sens. Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren and Edward J. Markey, which would address the humanitarian crisis in Puerto Rico and give Puerto Ricans the resources they need to build a more sustainable and prosperous future."
1312. ETTD.