Single hurricane thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Single hurricane thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 10:26 am
But seriously, even with us getting the east side, it shouldn't be much more than a little wind and a bunch of rain in my area. No problem with our pure sand (I can run the hose on full and never make more than a 2 ft diameter wet spot), but could be a problem to points north and east (Alabama through the Carolinas).
Looks like it may stay west of us.
https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/ ... o?map=5day

Let us know that you're okay once it passes.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Never mind, we're due to get inches of Alberto rain on Tuesday.

Our average month to date precipitation for May is 3.15 in. We've already gotten 10.76 in.
Our average year to date precipitation is 17.74 in. We've already gotten 28.10 in.
Climatology of named Atlantic storms in May

According to Dr. Phil Klotzbach (CSU), since 1950, there have been 14 years with named storms in May—an average of one May storm every five years. Those 14 years had near-average activity for the entire season, so a May storm is not necessarily a harbinger of an active hurricane season to come. He also reports that the earliest date the U.S. has seen a hurricane landfall since record-keeping began in 1851 is June 9, 1966, when Category 2 Hurricane Alma hit Florida. Wunderground member Mark Cole reported this interesting stat: 2018 is the fourth season in a row for the Atlantic to see a named storm before the official June 1 start of hurricane season. That has happened only one other time in recorded history, back in 1951 – 1954:

1951 Jan 4 Tropical Storm One
1952 Feb 3 Tropical Storm One
1953 May 25 Tropical Storm Alice
1954 May 28 Tropical Storm One
2015 May 8 Tropical Storm Ana
2016 Jan 12 Hurricane Alex
2017 Apr 19 Tropical Storm Arlene
2018 May 25 Subtropical Storm Alberto
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Ellicott Maryland is having some serious water problems that are due in part to Alberto.
Watching their flooding makes me appreciate our pure sand soil.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

I bet my favorite Big Bend restaurant in already under water.I

No rain or wind here.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 1:52 pm
... No rain or wind here.
That's crazy.
https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/alber ... =hp-slot-1

Visible satellite image of Subtropical Storm Alberto as of 1522Z (11:22 am EDT) Monday, May 28, 2018.

Cuba, SC & NC, though:

Infrared-wavelength satellite image of Alberto as of 1522Z (11:22 am EDT) Monday, May 28, 2018. The heaviest thunderstorms with Alberto are located well to the east of the storm center, along a channel of moisture extending from Cuba to North Carolina.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 10:26 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 10:08 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 6:55 am
Worse than Cantore in Navarre, I turn on the weather channel this morning and they have Reynolds standing right in front of my Pensacola Beach house.
Ruh roh!!
But seriously, even with us getting the east side, it shouldn't be much more than a little wind and a bunch of rain in my area. No problem with our pure sand (I can run the hose on full and never make more than a 2 ft diameter wet spot), but could be a problem to points north and east (Alabama through the Carolinas).
unlike a tropical storm, all the rain is way east

Y'all will probably get worse than I will
Panama City and east should get most of the wind and rain.
It also takes almost no surge to flood everything in the bottled up Big Bend

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Weather Channel showed the worst expected flash flooding smack on top of JTA and we WNC folks. It is pouring and has been for awhile.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

At 2 pm yesterday the bottom dropped out. At 2:03 it stopped. No wind. That was it. Done and over. The drought continues.

All day the radar showed huge violent bands to the east and west, with us in a 5 or 10 mile wide clearing between the bands.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 8:21 am
At 2 pm yesterday the bottom dropped out. At 2:03 it stopped. No wind. That was it. Done and over. The drought continues.

All day the radar showed huge violent bands to the east and west, with us in a 5 or 10 mile wide clearing between the bands.
Not raining here at the moment. This is very close to me:

Subtropical Storm Alberto Kills News Anchor, Photojournalist in North Carolina

I don't watch Greenville, South Carolina's WYFF as much as I do Asheville, North Carolina's WLOS. RIP.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 10:01 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 8:21 am

Not raining here at the moment. This is very close to me:

Subtropical Storm Alberto Kills News Anchor, Photojournalist in North Carolina

I don't watch Greenville, South Carolina's WYFF as much as I do Asheville, North Carolina's WLOS. RIP.
Yeah, I read that this morning. When I saw the headline, I imagined some weather channel idiot or al roker doing something stupid, but the article i read said a tree fell on their car. Whatever happened, RIP and good luck to their families

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 7:50 am
Never mind, we're due to get inches of Alberto rain on Tuesday.

(Asheville:)
Our average month to date precipitation for May is 3.15 in. We've already gotten 10.76 in.
Our average year to date precipitation is 17.74 in. We've already gotten 28.10 in.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 11:01 am
Yeah, I read that this morning. When I saw the headline, I imagined some weather channel idiot or al roker doing something stupid, but the article i read said a tree fell on their car. Whatever happened, RIP and good luck to their families
Asheville: 14.55 in., wettest month ever recorded. The historical monthly average for May is 3.66 in.
Henderson County: 21.37 in. in the last 2 weeks!
I lived for 30 years in a western town with an annual average precipitation of 14.13 in.

It's still pouring, landslides, widespread flooding will continue through Friday or even longer, official state of emergency, temporary worry about a dam breach - resolved.

rstrong sends us Arctic blasts, you send us tropical storms - we're getting screwed in this BRD weather relationship. :ateeth:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

I think we had a little heavy rain here and there, but less than a quarter inch at my house.

Weird storm. Almost nothing near the center and crazy rain and wind hundreds of miles away. West Palm had 55 mph winds.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Went to the beach to bring stuff in from a 4th floor balcony - cool waves.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:03 pm
Went to the beach to bring stuff in from a 4th floor balcony - cool waves.
Looks like it shifted a bit west and won't reach hurricane status. Good luck. Post in the morning if you can, please.
https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/ ... p=forecast
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Little damp?

WU depiction of NWS/NEXRAD radar at 1:09 am EDT Wednesday, September 5, 2018, just after Tropical Storm Gordon came ashore on the Mississippi coast.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:57 am
Little damp?

WU depiction of NWS/NEXRAD radar at 1:09 am EDT Wednesday, September 5, 2018, just after Tropical Storm Gordon came ashore on the Mississippi coast.
Yep. Our guests at the beach house didn't run, so we didn't get to spend the night on the island.

Interesting, local news had someone at Ocean Springs, pretty much where the eye made landfall. They had no rain prior to or in the hours immediately after landfall, while a hundred miles east, we got around 5 inches.

Missouri and Arkansas will likely get more damage than we did.

Also interesting in the dumb weatherman category was jim catatori (sp) informing his viewers how lucky Mississippi and Alabama are because, unlike the Florida panhandle, Mississippi and Alabama have a barrier island for protection.

I guess he forgot about all the times he has stayed on and broadcast from the barrier island - Santa Rosa Island. It's some 30 miles long and 6 to 10 feet above sea level, unlike the tiny sandbars off Mississippi and Alabama's Dauphin Island which floods at every high tide during the winter. But in fairness to Jim, the cameras were rolling and he had to speak words.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:22 am
:thumbup:
and the rains keeps coming. while our 24 inches in 24 hours and our 10 inches in one hour records don't appear to be in danger, I bet we will get into double digit rainfall.