Single hurricane thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Single hurricane thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

I have not gotten any updates in 2 weeks, grrr. If I was running a team of paid folks, let alone volunteers like me, I would be sending them out twice a week even if there was little to report. While Harvey and Irma wrecked a lot, I'm guessing that not enough people were cut off from access to other healthcare facilities like they were in rural areas with Matthew last year and Katrina in MS. I don't know if deployment to Puerto Rico is a possibility, but I would probably go. I spent a month there in the early 1980s and loved it.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

rstrong wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:33 am
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:29 am
Tropical Storm Jose now aiming at NJ & DelMarVa.
But it's expected to be downgraded to a tropical depression long before it gets there.
One of our worst floods, 15" of rain, came from a tropical depression off the east coast. Never achieved TS status before heading up through Georgia and SC.
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:00 pm
I have not gotten any updates in 2 weeks, grrr. If I was running a team of paid folks, let alone volunteers like me, I would be sending them out twice a week even if there was little to report. While Harvey and Irma wrecked a lot, I'm guessing that not enough people were cut off from access to other healthcare facilities like they were in rural areas with Matthew last year and Katrina in MS. I don't know if deployment to Puerto Rico is a possibility, but I would probably go. I spent a month there in the early 1980s and loved it.
They'll need you . Florida was asking for 1000 nurses, and I have doubt Puerto Rico will need help for a long time.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Hah, I should have bitched here sooner.
We made it through Irma. No resources or staff deployed, but the state is sending components of the Mobile Disaster Hospital down to Key West....
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:08 am
It won't threaten land, but Tropical Storm Lee reformed into a TS in waters that are typically too cool for it to happen.

We're not out of the woods with Hurricane Maria yet.
It's now Hurricane Lee. :crazy:
1312. ETTD.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Maria and Lee. He looks like a duckling following mama.
image.jpeg
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Hurricane Lee is now Cat 3, its strongest yet! I'm sure it will be much weaker by the time it reaches Ireland, but still interesting.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:38 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:53 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:43 pm
Alternative Harvey donations
Thanks
Alternative Irma donations:
Just weeks after Hurricane Harvey devastated the Houston area, it's heartbreaking to hear about Hurricane Irma and the destruction in Florida and the Caribbean. The storm has already caused significant damage, and it's far from over.1

If you are wondering how you can help the families affected by the storm, here are some suggestions:

1. The Florida community is prepared to respond in a way that leaves no neighborhood behind--local groups like the New Florida Majority and SEIU Florida are encouraging folks outside Florida to donate to the Hurricane Irma Community Recovery Fund.

2. Islands in the Caribbean, including U.S. territories, are in desperate need of help. On islands like Barbuda, a majority of the population is now homeless.2 To help those affected, you can give through Global Giving, as recommended by the New York Times.3 After ensuring emergency response is covered, this fund will shift to longer term reconstruction.

3. You can also support women living in temporary shelters by donating to Support the Girls. They provide pads, tampons, and other feminine hygiene products, so women don't have to choose between their personal health and their next meal.

No amount of help is too little or too much, so please consider giving today.

Thank you,

--Nita, Shaunna, Kat, Karin, Adam, Holly, Kathy, Susan, Anathea, Audine, Shannon, Emma, Pilar, Natalie, Melody, Pam, Lindsay, and Ryan, the UltraViolet team

Sources:

1. Irma now a tropical storm, but still lashing Florida and Georgia, CNN, September 11, 2017

2. Nations rush to help islands devastated by Hurricane Irma, AP, September 8, 2017

3. How to Help Hurricane Irma Victims (and How to Avoid Scams), New York Times, September 8, 2017

Support Frontline Puerto Rican Communities in the Recovery from Hurricane Maria
1312. ETTD.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Congress needs to waive the Jones Act to get supplies to Puerto Rico. Lots of cargo could be loaded in Port Everglades and Miami, but, as it stands, only American flagged, crewed, and built ships can transport between US ports.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

k9nanny wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:26 pm
Congress needs to waive the Jones Act to get supplies to Puerto Rico. Lots of cargo could be loaded in Port Everglades and Miami, but, as it stands, only American flagged, crewed, and built ships can transport between US ports.
the orange shithead is still pissed at Puerto Rico for claiming he stole 33 million dollars from them and I think he could do it with an EO, as (I think) he did immediately for Texas and Florida.

he has no sense of humanity. a pretty good chance that PR will be better off than all of Korea
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

"Stole 33 million?" Do tell.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

k9nanny wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:38 pm

Meh...
http://www.snopes.com/trump-puerto-rico-golf-course/
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Donald Trump Refuses to Send More Aid to Puerto Rico, Citing Business Interests

... The department (Department of Homeland Security) did waive the Jones Act to aid Houston and parts of Florida that were ravaged by hurricanes Harvey and Irma. Senator John McCain, who has repeatedly fought to repeal the act, slammed the Department of Homeland Security for failing to extend the same relief efforts to Puerto Rico that it provided to parts of the mainland United States.

"It is unacceptable to force the people of Puerto Rico to pay at least twice as much for food, clean drinking water, supplies and infrastructure due to Jones Act requirements as they work to recover from this disaster," the Republican McCain wrote in a letter to the department on Tuesday....
Comments:
Hey Trump, white people live there, too, if that helps.
Well, I guess Trump takes a knee when asked about American aid.
Welcome to Trump's Katrina.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:43 pm
k9nanny wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:38 pm

Meh...
http://www.snopes.com/trump-puerto-rico-golf-course/
Mixture of truth to be sure, but don't forget any bad press aimed at trumplethinskin is reason to attack all involved parties.

He is punishing them. Besides most of them are brown, so who cares.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Proponents of the Jones Act say that without it, the country would be forced to rely on cheaper international ships operated by foreign workers and put American vessels in a more crowded and less efficient shipping environment.
Not a problem, shipping cheap shit from China.
How many ships are even built in the US anymore?

Cheap cruise ships, all foreign flagged, have been evacuating Puerto Ricans with no outcry about the Jones Act.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

"less efficient" if the same thing gets done for a lower cost? :headscratch:
1312. ETTD.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Speaking of brown people, I hadn't seen anything about Florida's migrant workers. You know- the folks taking away our jobs.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather ... 69596.html

There is only one comment, which says it all.

"Simple question, how many of these people are here legally and how many are here illegally? I feel sorry for the plight of those legally here. Those here illegally, knew the risks they were taking when they freely chose to break the law."
Se Non Ora, Quando?

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Just saw this tweet.
Follow
NBC News ✔ @NBCNews
JUST IN: White House announces that President Trump authorized the Jones Act to be waived for Puerto Rico, effective immediately
8:15 AM - Sep 28, 2017 · City of London, London
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

k9nanny wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:31 am
Just saw this tweet.
Follow
NBC News ✔ @NBCNews
JUST IN: White House announces that President Trump authorized the Jones Act to be waived for Puerto Rico, effective immediately
8:15 AM - Sep 28, 2017 · City of London, London
Yep, compassionate Americans shamed him into it.

Trump waives U.S. shipping restrictions for Puerto Rico: spokeswoman
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Heard about all that aid just sitting on the docks at PR ports and seen Trumpettes crowing about it in defense of their idol? Dolt .45's own FEMA says it's not true.

FEMA Insists Containers Sitting In San Juan Port Aren’t Filled With Aid
1312. ETTD.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:55 am
Heard about all that aid just sitting on the docks at PR ports and seen Trumpettes crowing about it in defense of their idol? Dolt .45's own FEMA says it's not true.

FEMA Insists Containers Sitting In San Juan Port Aren’t Filled With Aid
The right wing blogosphere is also spreading the "fake news" that Puerto Rican truck drivers are on strike. Do those idiots ever verify before hitting "share"? (Stupid question.) The AFL-CIO and Teamster sites are both calling for volunteer drivers to help in PR.
Se Non Ora, Quando?