Single hurricane thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Single hurricane thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:54 am
Up to 80 and wu is still disrespectfully calling Nate a TD.
Maybe an old article, or do you mean TS? WU maps gave it a name on late Wednesday/early Thursday. The maps are updated at 0500, 1100, 1700, 2300, not sure if articles are on a schedule. Maybe it became a hurricane between 2300 and when you posted at 0254? WU maps says hurricane as of the 0500 update.

Please let us know how you are when you can on Sunday.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:00 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Maybe an old article, or do you mean TS? WU maps gave it a name on late Wednesday/early Thursday. The maps are updated at 0500, 1100, 1700, 2300, not sure if articles are on a schedule. Maybe it became a hurricane between 2300 and when you posted at 0254? WU maps says hurricane as of the 0500 update.

I meant TS.

Hauling ass at 22 mph

Escambia county "officials" are freaking out again.

They seem to alternate from overreacting to under-reacting.

Surfers are loving it.

The weather channel is in front of my house.

Every storm is different. This is my first moving this fast. Seems that the surge will be less, as there is less time to build, but ...?
https://youtu.be/2TnkJ8_BmSI
Last edited by billy.pilgrim on Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Good luck, Billy-P.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:16 am
Good luck, Billy-P.
Thanks, we should be fine.

I got my wish for mandatory evacuation, but our renters say that they are staying, so I can't go to the beach house to see how the new expensive impact resistant windows work - rated to take an 8 ft 2x4 end first at 80+ mph.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:10 pm
Tropical Depression Sixteen (Nate later today)

Supposedly a Cat 1 when it hits billy.pilgrim, but it seems like every storm this year has strengthened beyond initial predictions, knock on wood (yes, I literally did that for you, billy.pilgrim).
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:07 am
... Every storm is different. This is my first moving this fast. Seems that the surge will be less, as there is less time to build, but ...?
https://youtu.be/2TnkJ8_BmSI
Surprise, surprise, surprise. Now Cat 2 just before landfall. Sometimes, I hate being correct.
1312. ETTD.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:00 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:

WU added an update to the 10:36 article last night.
Nate was upgraded to hurricane strength by the NOAA/NWS National Hurricane Center at 11:30 pm EDT Friday, with top sustained winds of 75 mph based on Hurricane Hunter reports. Very intense thunderstorms were erupting
He's shifted a bit west today.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Will stay Cat 1, landfall imminent.
1312. ETTD.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Waiting for a report from Pensacola!

It's been pouring scattered showers here, south of Hendo, and we've been added to the flood watch. Smart.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

k9nanny wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:06 am
Waiting for a report from Pensacola!

It's been pouring scattered showers here, south of Hendo, and we've been added to the flood watch. Smart.

All good here, on and off heavy rain. Still a little pissed that our weekly vacation renters didn't run so I could go to the beach house for the storm. They were excited about being there for the storm.

I'm about a mile north of the gulf and the noise from the gulf waves is still pretty loud.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Glad all is well. I've seen a few reports of flooding, and the morning news showed a couple determined to have their beach wedding. The water was already getting big.

You can hear the waves a mile away? Cool. Nothing compares with ocean sounds.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

k9nanny wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:48 am
Glad all is well. I've seen a few reports of flooding, and the morning news showed a couple determined to have their beach wedding. The water was already getting big.

You can hear the waves a mile away? Cool. Nothing compares with ocean sounds.

Probably closer to 2 miles. We are about 300 feet north of Santa Rosa Sound and it's about 1.5 miles wide where I am. Not much to stop the sound rolling across the Sound other than the 1/4 to 1/2 mile wide almost flat barrier island.

Not so much what most think of as ocean sounds, from this distance more like just white noise and often louder than last night from far off weather.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Ah, but the ocean speaks, even when the surface is calm. There's a lot going on down there, and it does have a sound.
Anyway, I'm envious. Much as I love the mountains, I need an ocean fix.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Lots of rain, a little wind.
Opps, spoke to soon. Now we have sheets of rain blowing horizontally, and leaves that "before the wild hurricane fly".
Se Non Ora, Quando?

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

We now have TS Ophelia, expected to reach hurricane strength, not expected to threaten land.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

So, the exodus of Puerto Ricans to the mainland, made worse by any lapses in relief, could turn Florida and perhaps other purple states blue.

k9nanny wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:46 am
We now have TS Ophelia, expected to reach hurricane strength, not expected to threaten land.
It looks like Cat 2 Hurricane Ophelia could make landfall as a Cat 1 . . . in Ireland or Iceland!

Aside: I was in hurricane force winds for weeks in the Southern Ocean. No fancy names, just 'Monday' or 'Thursday'. It really, really sucks.

Darn, I'd forgotten about this way cool real time global wind map that I think banni linked for us a long time ago. Just click and drag to change the view. You can see Ophelia and the typical Southern Ocean.
Last edited by Vrede too on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:16 pm
So, the exodus of Puerto Ricans to the mainland, made worse by any lapses in relief, could turn Florida and perhaps other purple states blue.
THAT is how you get Republicans to believe in the effects of climate change.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:34 pm
THAT is how you get Republicans to believe in the effects of climate change.
:lol: Double edged sword if coastal southerners start moving north. :(
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Category 1 Hurricane Ophelia Headed Towards the Azores and Ireland

Hurricane Ophelia continued 2017's long streak of Atlantic named storms that have developed into hurricanes, becoming 2017’s tenth consecutive hurricane at 5 pm Wednesday. Only three other years have seen ten consecutive Atlantic hurricanes: 1878, 1886, and 1893. (Note that within some of those late-1800s strings, there might have been small, short-lived tropical storms that today’s satellites would have caught.) Ophelia’s presence this week has brought 2017’s Accumulated Cyclone Energy (ACE) in the Atlantic above 211, making it the seventh most active season on record. This year is now tied for eighth place for most number of hurricanes (10), tied for fifteenth place for most number of named storms (15), and tied for ninth place for most major hurricanes (5.) Ophelia will brush the southeastern Azores Islands on Saturday, and will likely bring tropical storm-force winds to Ireland as a powerful extratropical storm on Monday.

... In NOAA’s historical hurricane database, which extends back to 1851, only 11 hurricanes have passed within about 200 miles of the Azores (as noted by weather.com). Every one of those occurred in August or September—except for strikingly unseasonal Hurricane Alex, which struck the islands in January 2016 just after weakening to tropical-storm strength.

The case of Debbie

There is a rough analog for Ophelia’s potential to affect Ireland. “Of all the Irish windstorms in living memory, Debbie in September 1961 set many records that still stand to this day,” notes Irish Weather Online.

A Cape Verde-type storm that topped out at Category 3 strength, Hurricane Debbie tracked through the western Azores as a Category 1 hurricane, then arced northeast and brushed the west coast of Ireland, apparently not long after having transitioned from tropical to post-tropical (extratropical) cyclone. Debbie passed close enough to Ireland to produce major destruction. Wind gusts topped 100 mph at a number of stations, setting numerous all-time record high speeds. The Shannon airport notched 10-minute sustained winds of 69 mph and gusts as high as 107 mph; at Malin Head, winds were sustained for six hours at or above 62 mph. A surface pressure reading of 961.4 mb was reported at Belmullet, on Ireland’s west coast. Some parts of western Ireland lost nearly 25% of all trees. All told, Debbie took 18 lives in Ireland, plus 60 others from a Debbie-related plane crash in the Azores. Damage in Ireland totaled more than $40 million in damage (USD, 1961 value). Fortunately, Ophelia is not likely to nearly as damaging as Debbie. The Irish weather service has issued a Yellow Alert for ex-Ophelia's impact.
Interesting graphs, 1851-2016:

North Atlantic Ocean Historical Tropical Cyclone Statistics
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

2005 although Zeta and Epsilon were fish storms, Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Delta all made landfall. Delta striking N. Africa and Portugal.

I finished the Ivan repairs, packed and left for a drive up the east coast. We had just arrived in Savannah when a friend called to inform that Dennis lifted our grade level deck two feet, and flooded the enclosed entry, elevator shaft and storeroom.