Single hurricane thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Leo Lyons
Ensign

Re: Single hurricane thread

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:09 pm
Near k9nanny's:

Another channel marker:

The rooster does double duty as a fog horn.
Making the best of a bad situation.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

7.5 inches here, plus what overflowed when I poured from the big tube into the little tube. Damn high falutin' rain gauge.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

k9nanny wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:41 pm
7.5 inches here, plus what overflowed when I poured from the big tube into the little tube. Damn high falutin' rain gauge.
The local flooding and mudlsides videos and pics are impressive:
https://wlos.com/
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:05 pm
The local flooding and mudlsides videos and pics are impressive:
Every 'mudlside' video and pic I've ever seen is impressive.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

More FL pics:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/aerial-photo ... 32368.html

#8:

I saw some pre-storm pics of folks scrambling to get their boats out of the water and onto storage racks. Opps. The boats parked outside all look fine, even flimsy canopies intact. :wtf:
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:35 pm
More FL pics:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/aerial-photo ... 32368.html

#8:

I saw some pre-storm pics of folks scrambling to get their boats out of the water and onto storage racks. Opps. The boats parked outside all look fine, even flimsy canopies intact. :wtf:
Stay away from the comments on that article. Jesus. People are shitty.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

k9nanny wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:01 am
Worst flooding here since Frances in '04. A stupid driver went right past the barrier, and had to be rescued. The water is still rising, and only the top of the car is visible. Pics at Blueridgenow.com ...
A different Henderson County idiot:

PHOTOS: Driver rescued after disregarding barricade on flooded road
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:32 pm
A different Henderson County idiot:

PHOTOS: Driver rescued after disregarding barricade on flooded road
"The man self-evacuated, and walked through water to get to rescue crews.."
He probably had already self-evacuated before he walked through water to get to rescue crews. :o

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:39 am
Torreya State Park, Emerald Coast RV park, Fred Gannon Rocky Bayou park.
All should be good - at least Navarre and Niceville, Rocky Bayou could be a problem. Fairly close is the Florida Caverns park. The caverns aren't much but the Chipola River is beautiful.

Also - from Niceville instead of I-10, take Hwy 20 to Tallahassee. Plenty of north south roads to connect with I-10 anytime and almost no traffic.

Pre-hurricane I would have said that you are missing NW Florida by not taking 98. That trip is years away now. I can't stop thinking about the people who stayed and the fucking constant beeping of the smoke detectors. After a few days the beeping will be replaced by the stench of rotting food (and I guess, people too - I bet that a lot of people stayed).

I also can't stop thinking that I would have stayed, after all, I have been through hurricanes and this was only a cat 1 - until it was too late to leave.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Thanks - fortunately, we have done 98 before, pretty much all the up from Homosassa or Crystal River. The spring trip through there was intended mostly as a leisurely way to get from South Florida to New Orleans with some beach/park stops along the way. As you know, staying on I-10 with no break can drive you nutz. Over many years, I think I've driven every mile of I-10 from Jacksonville to El Paso and very little of it is fun.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:44 am
As you know, staying on I-10 with no break can drive you nutz. Over many years, I think I've driven every mile of I-10 from Jacksonville to El Paso and very little of it is fun.
I've driven that I-10 drive myself, except from Jax to Colton, CA. That has got to have been the most expensive interstate in the U.S. to build, what with the almost continuous bridge across Louisiana!
I tried to find stats, but gave up.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thanks - fortunately, we have done 98 before, pretty much all the up from Homosassa or Crystal River. The spring trip through there was intended mostly as a leisurely way to get from South Florida to New Orleans with some beach/park stops along the way. As you know, staying on I-10 with no break can drive you nutz. Over many years, I think I've driven every mile of I-10 from Jacksonville to El Paso and very little of it is fun.
For a real break from I-10, take 399, the beach front road, from Navarre to Pensacola Beach (1), then cross bridge to Gulf Breeze and US 98 to Pensacola (2), stay left onto Bayfront Parkway (3) after crossing the bridge into Pensacola. Then take 292 (4) to Perdido Key, 292 changes to 182 at the state line (5), and changes again to 180 at Gulf Shores to Fort Morgan (6) and the reason for this long post - the ferry to Fort Gaines (6a) at Dauphin Island and, unless you have Mobile plans, cross the bridge to 188, to US 90 and back on I-10 just across the line into Mississippi.

1) I'm big on forts. Stay straight at the light on Pensacola Beach for pre Civil War Ft. Pickens.
2) plenty to see walking or biking downtown and old Seville area.
3) Joe Patties Seafood - I always thought this was typical - until I realized it isn't. Tour or buying - it's worth the stop. They also have a good sushi bar.
4) Naval Air Museum
5)the Flora-Bama - amazing sight even if you don't stop and who knows, you might be there for the Mullet Toss. You'll miss the fall music festival but still an interesting stop.
https://florabama.com/frank-brown-festival.html

6) fantastic isolated ride out to Fort Morgan and a ferry ride across the bay (up to 40 ft rv) to Ft Gaines)
http://mobilebayferry.com/

6a) Ft. Gaines and the Battle of Mobile - Admiral Farragut "damn the torpedoes" moment. Ft. Gaines has active historical reenactments ongoing.

If you eat out along the way, I can tell you where to stop and where not to stop.
Last edited by billy.pilgrim on Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:17 am
O Really wrote:
As you know, staying on I-10 with no break can drive you nutz. Over many years, I think I've driven every mile of I-10 from Jacksonville to El Paso and very little of it is fun.
I've driven that I-10 drive myself, except from Jax to Colton, CA. That has got to have been the most expensive interstate in the U.S. to build, what with the almost continuous bridge across Louisiana!
I tried to find stats, but gave up.
I'm sure Louisiana was done on the cheap, it's like a goddamn rollercoaster. I've only done the El Paso to Jacksonville stretch, but I've done it way too many times.

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:28 am

I'm sure Louisiana was done on the cheap, it's like a goddamn rollercoaster.
There are entire RV forum topics on driving on (or trying not to) I-10 in Louisiana. We might actually take old Highway 90 to Lafayette.

O Really
Admiral

Thanks for the suggestions, billy.p! We're also big on historical sites, too. I've got this thing about "real" places/things as compared to reproductions or reconstruction. When you can actually stand on the same spot where something occurred (e.g. Kitty Hawk), or touch a rock still in the same place where a dinosaur left his track, it's always a memorable experience.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:28 am
I'm sure Louisiana was done on the cheap, it's like a goddamn rollercoaster. I've only done the El Paso to Jacksonville stretch, but I've done it way too many times.
Maybe it's a pontoon bridge? That's what it feels like.
Last edited by Leo Lyons on Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I'll bet that the Panhandle will really appreciate the tourist $$$, if you find that it's doable after all. Plus, the crowds may be less than they otherwise would be.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:44 am
Thanks for the suggestions, billy.p! We're also big on historical sites, too. I've got this thing about "real" places/things as compared to reproductions or reconstruction. When you can actually stand on the same spot where something occurred (e.g. Kitty Hawk), or touch a rock still in the same place where a dinosaur left his track, it's always a memorable experience.

Then I'll put Florida Caverns back on the suggestion list if Rocky Bayou is still closed. It was built by the CCC as part of the recovery efforts after the first major republican economic depression.

Looks like Florida Caverns is closed too, but I can't imagine they won't be ready by spring.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/parks ... state-park

As Vrede implied, they need your money.

O Really
Admiral

It's amazing all the work the CCC did - high quality, great design, long-lasting, excellent all around. So my question is, with all those people that want a work requirement for receipt of government benefits, why don't they put together a program like CCC to provide the work? Oh yeah, they're Republicans.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:03 pm
It's amazing all the work the CCC did - high quality, great design, long-lasting, excellent all around. So my question is, with all those people that want a work requirement for receipt of government benefits, why don't they put together a program like CCC to provide the work? Oh yeah, they're Republicans.
As opposed to Democrats just handing over the money to them and subbing out the work to contractors? :---P
Not only that, the only workers that can be found that's willing to work are Hispanics; and you know the rest of that story.