Single hurricane thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Leo Lyons
Ensign

Re: Single hurricane thread

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

Watching ABC News. Damn. Just Damn.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:53 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:49 pm
Guess I didn't realize that we don't show military bases. I don't see Eglin either - the largest AT base in the world, or so I'm told
Cold War holdover?

I looked at several maps that didn't show Mexico Beach before finding this one. MSNBC just mentioned Tyndall Air Force Base because of a 128 mph wind speed measured there.
Way to go guys. Now the soviets know the whereabouts of the air Force Base.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Whack9 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:41 pm
Way to go guys. Now the soviets know the whereabouts of the air Force Base.
To be accurate, billy.pilgrim and MSNBC did that. Commies.

Fast, furious: How Michael grew into a 155 mph monster

... Hurricane Michael was barely a hurricane Tuesday morning, with winds of 90 mph. A little over a day later, it had transformed into a monster. When it made landfall Wednesday afternoon, it was blowing at 155 mph. That's a 72 percent increase in wind speed in less than 33 hours....

As Michael's eye started coming ashore, it boasted the third lowest central pressure of any storm to hit the United States, behind only a 1935 Labor Day storm and 1969's Camille....

And none of the factors that hold a storm back were present, especially something called "wind shear." Wind shear is when there's a mismatch either in speed or direction between winds near the surface and those five to six miles (8 to 10 kilometers) up.

That mismatch "pushes the storm over" or decapitates it, Kossin said. When the wind shear near Michael eased, the storm took off, he said....

Another huge factor was the water temperature. Warm water is the energy that fuels hurricanes, and the Gulf water is 4 to 5 degrees warmer than normal.

Water temperatures in the Gulf of Mexico vary along with weather, but some scientists said the warm waters are signs of human-caused climate change.

"Have humans contributed to how dangerous Michael is?" Kossin said. "Now we can look at how warm the waters are and that certainly has contributed to how intense Michael is and its intensification."

The warm waters, Kossin said, are a "human fingerprint" of climate change.

Kossin and others have a study out this month in the Journal of Climate with computer simulations showing that human-caused global warming will increase rapid intensification of tropical weather across the globe in the future.

Other studies have shown rapid intensification has already increased over past decades. One study this year in Geophysical Research Letters found that since 1986, the rate of intensification of storms like Michael has increased by about 13 mph.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Gov. Richardnoggin was right. He's out there somewhere saying "I told you so".

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Raining hard since yesterday, local creek as far out of its banks as I've ever seen it, phone and internet out overnight, thanks, billy.pilgrim.

You okay? Haven't heard from you since just after landfall. Did the beach house survive?

Assuming that central and eastern NC, still so sodden from Florence, are getting it even worse than us, they're screwed.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:10 am
Raining since yesterday, local creek as far out of its banks as I've ever seen it, phone and internet out overnight, thanks, billy.pilgrim. You okay?

Haven't heard from you since just after landfall. Did the beach house survive?

Assuming that central and eastern NC, still so sodden from Florence, are getting it even worse than us, they're screwed.

We got a half inch of rain and a little wind. No enough to even close the bridges. Super intense, but still a small storm. I haven't checked out the beach house yet, but a neighbor says all good.

I still haven't heard a word about St. Marks, Wewa or Mexico Beach.
My guess is that Wewa and Mex. Bch are cut off - as only 2 lane roads through miles of pine forest and St. Marks probably still under water.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:27 am
We got a half inch of rain and a little wind. No enough to even close the bridges. Super intense, but still a small storm. I haven't checked out the beach house yet, but a neighbor says all good.

I still haven't heard a word about St. Marks, Wewa or Mexico Beach.
My guess is that Wewa and Mex. Bch are cut off - as only 2 lane roads through miles of pine forest and St. Marks probably still under water.
Glad to hear it. Several pics of St. Marks flooding here:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/hurricane-mi ... 21741.html
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Today Marco is worried about the people who couldn't afford to leave.

hmmm?

Lot of wind damage in PC - the weak side of the storm.

Tyndall (mostly low lying pine forest) is probably minus a few hangers and 98 likely the drive through will be through pines at 45 degrees for the next few years.

Most of Mex Bch is on a pretty high bluff across the highway from the Gulf, but there has been more recent multi family structures right down on the beach.

Hope our old friend JTA got some good pictures of Cape San Blas and I hope everyone left the barrier islands.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Hooterville flooding pics and video:
https://twitter.com/CarolynMorrisro
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Glad you didn't get hit hard, billy.p.
We had several stops scheduled for next spring along the Panhandle. Looks like we might need to re-route ourselves.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

The storm is always exciting. It really isn't that hard to be somewhere safe and to be prepared to live a few days without electricity. It's the next few months, of blocked streets, missing bridges, blue tarped roofs and driving through those god awful 10 ft. high walls of wet molding furniture and refrigerators full of rotting food on the way home to your own blue tarped house with its own high wall of wet molding furniture - including your own refrigerator full of rotting food, that hurt the most and the longest.

And too, all the money to be made by all these newcomers with their high paying jobs while the locals can't find work. This is one place that recovery should be focused on giving locals some of the tremendous number of jobs these storms create.

After Ivan, I watched some locals build bodies on their old trucks to hold up to 10 yards of debris. They were subbing for someone they didn't know to pick up debris for $25/yard.
FEMA was paying $110.
Yeah haliburton, go kb&r

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:17 am
Glad you didn't get hit hard, billy.p.
We had several stops scheduled for next spring along the Panhandle. Looks like we might need to re-route ourselves.
Where were you going?

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Torreya State Park, Emerald Coast RV park, Fred Gannon Rocky Bayou park.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

CNN is over Mex Bch now. Nothing left south of 98.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Worst flooding here since Frances in '04. A stupid driver went right past the barrier, and had to be rescued. The water is still rising, and only the top of the car is visible. Pics at Blueridgenow.com .

No access for us. All outbound roads are flooded, but that's a temporary inconvenience , not the weeks (months) folks in Florida are facing.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:08 am
Hooterville flooding pics and video: https://twitter.com/CarolynMorrisro

In the video captioned "S. Church Street in Hendersonville is closed at S. Main. Because it’s currently a river."

I see officials did have presence of mind to install a channel marker. :roll:

What with the damage toll in the billions from Florence, and now Michael, I'm always in wonderment how insurance companies can stay afloat; although with my having been a victim of weather damages in the past, I'm well familiar with hearing "that's not covered by your policy".

Still though...

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:11 am
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:08 am
Hooterville flooding pics and video: https://twitter.com/CarolynMorrisro

In the video captioned "S. Church Street in Hendersonville is closed at S. Main. Because it’s currently a river."

I see officials did have presence of mind to install a channel marker. :roll:

What with the damage toll in the billions from Florence, and now Michael, I'm always in wonderment how insurance companies can stay afloat; although with my having been a victim of weather damages in the past, I'm well familiar with hearing "that's not covered by your policy".

Still though...

May I explain?
I'll use a fictional name, say Manystate Insurance. Anyway, Manystate Insurance corporation operates 50 individual state insurance companies. These independent state Manystate Insurance companies, that all sell the almost exact same policy to each and every state, have an understanding with state regulators that they have to make at least a 10% to 30% profit to stay in the state market.
Although Manystate Insurance Company made huge profits in its over 46 markets, you can expect to see rate increases to offset all NC losses, or you can do what Florida did.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Lots and lots of rain here in the upstate. Looks to be subsiding now, though. It was nasty on my way to work. Lots of water on the roads.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

k9nanny wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:01 am
Worst flooding here since Frances in '04. A stupid driver went right past the barrier, and had to be rescued. The water is still rising, and only the top of the car is visible. Pics at Blueridgenow.com.
"As much as 5 inches of rain have fallen in some areas of Henderson County in the last 24 hours, the National Weather Service said.... As of 8 a.m."

Then it kept raining for another couple of hours.

Closed roads, water rescues, flooding in wake of Tropical Storm Michael

Near k9nanny's:

k9nanny wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:01 am
No access for us. All outbound roads are flooded, but that's a temporary inconvenience , not the weeks (months) folks in Florida are facing.
My local creek has receded to its banks.

Another channel marker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAtDlXVUGJQ

The rooster does double duty as a fog horn.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:56 am
CNN is over Mex Bch now. Nothing left south of 98.
'It's gone': Mexico Beach, Fla., left in ruins by Hurricane Michael (article)

Aerial CNN video
1312. ETTD.