Single hurricane thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Single hurricane thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:03 pm
It's amazing all the work the CCC did - high quality, great design, long-lasting, excellent all around. So my question is, with all those people that want a work requirement for receipt of government benefits, why don't they put together a program like CCC to provide the work? Oh yeah, they're Republicans.
The prison and military industrial complexes are our very inefficient jobs programs, instead.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Leo Lyons wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:45 pm
O Really wrote:
It's amazing all the work the CCC did - high quality, great design, long-lasting, excellent all around. So my question is, with all those people that want a work requirement for receipt of government benefits, why don't they put together a program like CCC to provide the work? Oh yeah, they're Republicans.
As opposed to Democrats just handing over the money to them and subbing out the work to contractors? :---P
Not only that, the only workers that can be found that's willing to work are Hispanics; and you know the rest of that story.

Leo defeats actual history with yet another republican talking point. Strawmen down.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:54 am
Leo Lyons wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:45 pm
O Really wrote:
As opposed to Democrats just handing over the money to them and subbing out the work to contractors? :---P
Not only that, the only workers that can be found that's willing to work are Hispanics; and you know the rest of that story.
Leo defeats actual history with yet another republican talking point. Strawmen down.
:lol: :lol:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Fairly misleading headline. The panhandle codes were updated in 2007 to the 2001 S fla code. I count 6 years difference - and in an area that has had limited development in the past 25 years.

It should also be noted that nearly all of the Andrew destruction in areas like Homestead were due to building inspectors receiving kickbacks and not enforcing codes.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Okay, thanks. Yeah, 6 years isn't a huge difference.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:02 pm
Okay, thanks. Yeah, 6 years isn't a huge difference.
We've been tying our roofs to the foundation for quite a while. Our 1996 Gulf front went through Ivan with almost no damage to the living level. We did lose the carport slab at grade and the soffit above.

So many of the Mexico Beach and PC properties were 50s ranch style and mobile homes. There were where they were thanks to gravity. Those are so many of the scraped clean slabs you are seeing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:20 pm
We've been tying our roofs to the foundation for quite a while. Our 1996 Gulf front went through Ivan with almost no damage to the living level. We did lose the carport slab at grade and the soffit above.

So many of the Mexico Beach and PC properties were 50s ranch style and mobile homes. There were where they were thanks to gravity. Those are so many of the scraped clean slabs you are seeing.
You know much more about it than I do. One article I read discussed how older, heavy wood homes often do well, but that things then got cheap and flimsy from the 1950s until codes were more recently strengthened.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Help Protect Farm Animals from Natural Disasters

What You Can Do
Please contact Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue and ask him to modify the USDA’s Livestock Indemnity Program by requiring farm operators to have management plans in place to respond to extreme weather and other types of disasters. You can send an email to Secretary Perdue through AWI's Compassion Index using the form below.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:28 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

You know much more about it than I do. One article I read discussed how older, heavy wood homes often do well, but that things then got cheap and flimsy from the 1950s until codes were more recently strengthened.

No codes in the 50s. True, much heavier construction with dimensional lumber, plaster, brick, etc, but all was held in place by gravity and a few toe-nails at the truss top plate connection. Works great until a wave or 120 mph wind comes along.

True also that the 80s brought out much thinner ply and particle board and dyrwall. These were anchored to the foundation, but overall were more flimsy.

Sort of like a tornado, it can be amazing what stands and what doesn't. Sometimes it's as simple as the house between you and the surge took the brunt of the wave.

Before FEMA, Pensacola Beach homes were cheap concrete block, slab on grade, with 2/12 slope tar and gravel roofs.
Before a storm, rather than board up, many owners opened up all the north and south facing doors and windows to allow the water through.

Cheap construction, easy repairs after shoveling out the sand after the storm.
The big storms took out some of both, but there was a good argument for opening up. Now we have FEMA.

Absolutely, the houses across the street from the Gulf front ones were protected by the Gulf front ones. All of them survived all storms prior to elevating the Gulf front structures. Now they are falling to the surges.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:22 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:25 am
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:28 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

No codes in the 50s. True, much heavier construction with dimensional lumber, plaster, brick, etc, but all was held in place by gravity and a few toe-nails at the truss top plate connection. Works great until a wave or 120 mph wind comes along.

True also that the 80s brought out much thinner ply and particle board and dyrwall. These were anchored to the foundation, but overall were more flimsy.

Sort of like a tornado, it can be amazing what stands and what doesn't. Sometimes it's as simple as the house between you and the surge took the brunt of the wave.

Before FEMA, Pensacola Beach homes were cheap concrete block, slab on grade, with 2/12 slope tar and gravel roofs.
Before a storm, rather than board up, many owners opened up all the north and south facing doors and windows to allow the water through.

Cheap construction, easy repairs after shoveling out the sand after the storm.
The big storms took out some of both, but there was a good argument for opening up. Now we have FEMA.

Absolutely, the houses across the street from the Gulf front ones were protected by the Gulf front ones. All of them survived all storms prior to elevating the Gulf front structures. Now they are falling to the surges.
Out in quake country I did my own seismic retrofit on my '41 modified bungalow. Doubled the bolts holding the sill plates to the perimeter foundation, and put shear wall reinforcement inside the crawl space (knee wall are 3-4' high), as well as tying the floor sills to the cripple wall. Got it all inspected and approved through an expedited process. I'm fairly confident the structure won't slide off the foundation, but there may be a lot of damage to stucco and old fashioned lathe backed plaster inside. And one of the two chimneys will probably get damage. Anyway, while I was learning how to do the retrofit, I learned a little about tying the roof to the wall studs all the way to the foundation. I didn't do that because this isn't hurricane country and tornadoes are extremely rare in California.

I imagine holding a house together during an earthquake requires a lot more technology than protecting from the wind. Other than impact, windows, narrow eaves (I hate those, but there are fixes), and hip roof designs, we mostly just anchor everything, from the roof decking down, to the foundation.
Compliance is easy. Most builders run a threaded rod from the slab anchor bolts through the top plate, tie the trusses to the top plate and glue the decking to the trusses.

It’s not code most places (probably is in Dade) but there are peel and stick underlayments that are rated above 100 mph.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Trump Wants To End Hurricane Maria Relief Funding To Puerto Rico: Report

... Trump reportedly believes, without evidence, that the Puerto Rican government has been mishandling the relief funding and using it to pay off debt, according to the outlet’s Jonathan Swan. The president made that conclusion after misreading an article in The Wall Street Journal last month, Swan reports, and told Congressional leaders that he “doesn’t want to include additional Puerto Rico funding in further spending bills.”

There is no evidence that the territory has been using any of its relief funds to pay off debt obligations, and the island’s leadership has actually argued against doing so, according to The Washington Post. Trump first alluded to his frustrations with the relief funds last month, saying “inept politicians” were attempting to use the “ridiculously high amounts of hurricane/disaster funding to pay off other obligations.” ...
:roll:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Sh%t Southern Women Say In A Hurricane

"This thang's blowin' harder than a hooker in a truck stop."

:lol:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Since we discussed FL's Tyndall Air Force Base at the time:
Hurricane Michael Cost This Military Base About $5 Billion, Just One of 2018's Weather Disasters
Major hurricanes, devastating wildfires, a drought and a series of extreme storms ran up the count of billion-dollar U.S. climate and weather disasters.

Aircraft hangars lay scattered in pieces across the flight line at Tyndall Air Force Base after Hurricane Michael made landfall on Oct. 10, 2018. The storm had exploded from a tropical depression to a major hurricane in two days over warm Gulf waters. Credit: Staff Sgt. Alexander C. Henninger/U.S. Air Force

... The hurricane—one of at least a dozen climate and weather disasters in the United States this year to top $1 billion in damage—left a wide trail of destruction through homes, businesses and farms from Florida to the Carolinas.

The military alone suffered several billion dollars in damage. During a U.S. Senate Armed Services Committee hearing on Dec. 12, Sen. Tim Kaine said the price tag for damage at Tyndall Air Force Base was about $5 billion, as he understood it. That added to earlier damage from Hurricane Florence: U.S. Marine Corps Commandant Gen. Robert Neller estimated that rebuilding properly after Florence's damage to Camp Lejeune would cost about $3.6 billion....

While the cumulative costs haven't yet been calculated for the year, states and insurers have estimated the damage from several individual storms. North Carolina reported Hurricane Florence caused nearly $17 billion in damage in that state alone when it stalled over the coast in September, bringing 30 inches of rain in some areas and sending rivers over their banks and into towns and homes.

In the Northeast, insurer Aon Benfield estimated that an early March blizzard—one of several destructive winter storms this year—caused more than $2.25 billion in economic losses....

Then, in November, the Camp Fire erupted in northern California and swept through the town of Paradise, killing at least 86 people and destroying about 14,000 homes, making it the deadliest and most destructive wildfire in state history. Damage from the fire may surpass $18 billion, the previous record for all U.S. wildfires in a single year, a record that was set just last year, said Adam Smith, a scientist with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, who oversees the federal government's tally of billion-dollar weather events.

"2016, 2017 and 2018 have all been near record levels as far as extreme weather and climate events," Smith said. "Lots of changes are happening. The future is being more and more defined by extreme events."

"Where we build, how we build, and climate change" are the three leading factors for the increasing number of costly disasters, he said....

The Forest Service is also spending more to fight wildfires. From 1995 to 2015, the percent of its annual budget devoted to fighting forest fires increased from 16 percent to 52 percent, forcing the agency to cut financing for other programs.

In a 2015 report, the Forest Service wrote: "The agency is at a tipping point. Climate change has led to fire seasons that are now on average 78 days longer than in 1970. The U.S. burns twice as many acres as three decades ago and Forest Service scientists believe the acreage burned may double again by mid-century." Last year, the service had surpassed $2 billion in firefighting expenses by September....
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

I've long wondered why these waterfront government military bases get to ignore government building regulations for waterfront construction, but then they would have to put up with all those inconvenience stairs.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

We've regularly discussed idiot drivers and flood waters.
Officers charged criminally after 2 women drowned in van

Two South Carolina law officers were charged Friday in the deaths of two women who drowned while locked in the back of a sheriff's department van during Hurricane Florence.

Stephen Flood is charged with two counts each of reckless homicide and involuntary manslaughter, according to online court records. Joshua Bishop faces two counts of involuntary manslaughter....

Flood, 66, and Bishop, 29, were fired from the Horry County Sheriff's Office in October as part of an internal investigation. Authorities said the deputies were driving 45-year-old Wendy Newton and 43-year-old Nicolette Green through Marion County to a mental-health facility under a court order when their van was swept away by rising floodwaters as Hurricane Florence inundated the state.

According to records from the state Criminal Justice Academy, Flood made a "conscious decision" to drive around a barricade near the Little Pee Dee River, and Bishop didn't try to stop him....

Green and Newton drowned in the back of the locked van on Sept. 18....

During a November legislative hearing, advocates for the women said neither one was violent. Newton was only seeking medicine for her fear and anxiety the day she died, a family attorney said, while Green's family said she was committed at a regular mental health appointment by a counselor she had never seen before....
"Stephen Flood" was driving - Really?

Comments:
Is always a surprise to me when reckless cops are held responsible for their behavior. And that pretty much sums up where we are today, it should not be a surprise, it should be expected!!!!
I'm from Marion.....they haven't been 'held accountable' yet. This is a very small hick town with the good ol boy system firmly in place. Don't be surprised if they walk.
They were in fear of their lives so they drove into the rushing water to cleanse the fear.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Reckless homicide and involuntary manslaughter - good reasonable charges. :clap: :clap:

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

I like it. I never thought they would be charged.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.