Single hurricane thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Single hurricane thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:04 am
The anticipated coastal pause is being compared to Hurricane Mitch.

That would be worse than Opal.

Looks to me like the turn will spare the coast from the strongest winds,

But I still think that the worse surge will be in a direct line with the path before the turn. Hopefully that will be low tide.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Many hurricanes thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:54 am
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:04 am
The anticipated coastal pause is being compared to Hurricane Mitch.
That would be worse than Opal.

I don't know what the rain amounts were for Opal. Seems that Mitch's storm surge was also really bad.

Looks to me like the turn will spare the coast from the strongest winds,

Do you mean overall or just that SC will likely now get it worse than NC?

But I still think that the worse surge will be in a direct line with the path before the turn. Hopefully that will be low tide.

Because of the coastal pause they've been saying the surge will probably span several tide cycles. The Wilmington, NC high tides for Thursday through Saturday will be around 1 to 3 am and pm and will be average to above average.
https://tides4fishing.com/us/north-carolina/wilmington
The Tropical Storm Isaac maps conflict. The "Model" still says Yucatan, the "Ensemble" says Cuba and FL.

Hurricane Helene will weaken to a tropical low, still weird that it's aimed at Ireland.
Last edited by Vrede too on Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Remembering 2005 and
"Beta, Gamma, Epsilon, and Zeta for the first (and only, in the cases of Rita, Stan, and Wilma) time in 2005 (the names Alpha and Delta had been previously used in 1972 for two subtropical storms, but this is the first time they have been used in this way). This season used fifteen previously unused names, the most ever in an Atlantic season."

I may check later for landfall strength, but Iceland got a storm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_At ... ane_season
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:38 pm
Remembering 2005 and
"Beta, Gamma, Epsilon, and Zeta for the first (and only, in the cases of Rita, Stan, and Wilma) time in 2005 (the names Alpha and Delta had been previously used in 1972 for two subtropical storms, but this is the first time they have been used in this way). This season used fifteen previously unused names, the most ever in an Atlantic season."

Good memory! Hurricane Maria (2005) "brought tropical storm-force winds to Iceland" and Norway, killing 3 in Norway. "It passed just to the south of Iceland on September 13 as a hurricane-strength extratropical system (although the center stayed offshore)... The storm then brushed the northernmost part of Scotland, with no reported damage there either. The extratropical Maria merged with another system and this storm made landfall in Norway. This storm brought tropical storm force winds and heavy rainfall to that country, and caused flooding and several mudslides, particularly around Bergen, the most important of which occurred in Hatlestad."

I guess it's not unheard of for Europe to get smacked. In 2017 there was Hurricane Gert and Hurricane Maria (2017). These and Maria (2005) all passed through the central and western Atlantic first. What strikes me about Hurricane Helene is its going straight from North Africa to Europe, but I guess Hurricane Ophelia (2017) also did that.

The TV news says 2 feet or more of rain on the coast, but also possibly 6 to 10 inches here!

Just curious, you search Wiki using: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/
I search it using: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ , without the extra ".m"

Your way:
My way:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Atla ... ane_season

Your way doesn't bother me a bit, but I think the latter looks better and is maybe more user friendly. Is there a reason you prefer your way?
Last edited by Vrede too on Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Now there's Subtropical Storm Joyce heading for Iberia!

Super Typhoon Mangkhut is weird, a Cat 5 that became a Low then will become a TS again over northern Vietnam.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:17 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:38 pm
Remembering 2005 and

Good memory! Hurricane Maria (2005) "brought tropical storm-force winds to Iceland" and Norway, killing 3 in Norway. "It passed just to the south of Iceland on September 13 as a hurricane-strength extratropical system (although the center stayed offshore)... The storm then brushed the northernmost part of Scotland, with no reported damage there either. The extratropical Maria merged with another system and this storm made landfall in Norway. This storm brought tropical storm force winds and heavy rainfall to that country, and caused flooding and several mudslides, particularly around Bergen, the most important of which occurred in Hatlestad."

I guess it's not unheard of for Europe to get smacked. In 2017 there was Hurricane Gert and Hurricane Maria (2017). These and Maria (2005) all passed through the central and western Atlantic first. What strikes me about Hurricane Helene is its going straight from North Africa to Europe, but I guess Hurricane Ophelia (2017) also did that.

The TV news says 2 feet or more of rain on the coast, but also possibly 6 to 10 inches here!

Just curious, you search Wiki using: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/
I search it using: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ , without the extra ".m"

Your way:
My way:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Atla ... ane_season

Your way doesn't bother me a bit, but I think the latter looks better and is maybe more user friendly. Is there a reason you prefer your way?
That's what I get when I Share, then copy to clipboard.

Sometimes Copy won't work on my phone.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

If this thing really stays along the coast, most of the wind will be pushing the surge away from land or more parallel to land for SC and maybe part of NC.

I think the biggest surge will be mostly in line with its current direction, but everybody gets wind.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

I fear we're in the path of the storm surge up here in Upstate SC. Best to be safe and close down all places of work for the next few days. There could be flooding if the Florence hits during high tide.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Whack9 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:58 am
I fear we're in the path of the storm surge up here in Upstate SC. Best to be safe and close down all places of work for the next few days. There could be flooding if the Florence hits during high tide.
Yesterday it looked like a lucky turn to the south and I thought most of y'all would miss the surge

Not so today.

Good luck to all, this doesn't look good.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:46 am
Whack9 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:58 am
Yesterday it looked like a lucky turn to the south and I thought most of y'all would miss the surge

Not so today.

Good luck to all, this doesn't look good.
I hope and I pray the hurricane doesn't knock out electricity to my workplace. Please God don't let that happen. That would be so terrible if I wasn't able to come in to work for a few days.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

All y'all stay safe. All four of you.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Thanks.

Hurricane Florence still coming right through here, but weaker. Maybe 4" total rain or less:
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/u ... alwx_10day

Tropical Storm Isaac is still heading for the Yucatan, but they're not yet saying whether it will still be a coherent storm when it reenters the Gulf or what it will do then.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

What a difference

I'm sitting here on the deck watching the sunrise over an almost flat Gulf of Mexico.

Glad Florence dropped wind speed, but reports from New Bern look like the Cat 3 surge was still there.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:14 am
What a difference

I'm sitting here on the deck watching the sunrise over an almost flat Gulf of Mexico.

Glad Florence dropped wind speed, but reports from New Bern look like the Cat 3 surge was still there.
Already 10 feet in the center, high tide in 3 hours I think, 250 miles or so of coast under surge warning.

I'm still baffled by Super Typhoon Mangkhut, Philippines then China landfall as a Low, increases to a Tropical Storm 250 miles inland 36 hours later. I've never seen that happen. It's hitting the Philippines now, so the articles I found don't elaborate on what happens on the mainland.

Just watched FEMA director Brock Long completely dodge a direct question about POSPOTUS' lies about PR's Maria death toll, and George Stephanopoulos let him get away with it. :roll:
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Fear not.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Whack9 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:39 am
Fear not.

First pic I've ever seen of him at 239 pounds.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:55 am
Just watched FEMA director Brock Long completely dodge a direct question about POSPOTUS' lies about PR's Maria death toll, and George Stephanopoulos let him get away with it. :roll:
I love it when George nails his ass in a lie, but gets pissed when he can't get a straight answer.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Leo Lyons wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:11 pm
Vrede too wrote:
I love it when George nails his ass in a lie, but gets pissed when he can't get a straight answer.
You may watch him more than me, but that's not what happened here. POSPOTUS is the liar, Brock Long cowered from addressing it, and George Stephanopoulos wasn't visibly pissed.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
... Just watched FEMA director Brock Long completely dodge a direct question about POSPOTUS' lies about PR's Maria death toll, and George Stephanopoulos let him get away with it. :roll:
Whack9 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:39 am
Fear not.
:D
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:29 am
First pic I've ever seen of him at 239 pounds.
:thumbup:
Donald Trump's Hurricane Florence 'Rumor Control Page' Retweet Backfires

President Donald Trump sparked outrage Thursday with his false claim that almost 3,000 people “did not die” as a result of back-to-back hurricanes that battered Puerto Rico last year.

On Friday morning, Trump faced further backlash and accusations of hypocrisy after he retweeted a Federal Emergency Management Agency post linking to its “rumor control page” that aims to dispel fake news about Hurricane Florence....

The tweet was one of 15 Florence-related posts by government agencies that Trump retweeted within a short period Friday. He shared the link to the “rumor control page,” which busts myths on issues such as whether service animals are allowed into shelters or if beach sand can be used for sandbagging, to his 54 million followers.

However, the retweet was too much for many people on Twitter to stomach ― given Trump’s promotion of the Puerto Rico falsehood some 24 hours earlier: ...
The FEMA Hurricane Florence Rumor Control site does not have anything about Puerto Rico's Maria deaths.

Comments:
Air Force One was just ordered into the storm to drop 5000 rolls of Bounty....trump proudly proclaims “Mission Accomplished”
Keep talking and tweeting about PR Trump. Florida is listening! This is priceless.
Obama & Bush: "Miss Us Yet?" ... My answer "Tremendously"
Trump recommends that anyone in the path of Hurricane Florence use Bounty "the quicker picker upper"
Sure hope Florence doesn't interfere with Trump's golf game.
1312. ETTD.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Ingle's has Bounty 60% off today for their Friday "high noon" special.
Coincidence?
Se Non Ora, Quando?