Thanksgiving 2017

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Thanksgiving 2017

Unread post by O Really »

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

So those of us who follow politics and related topics may find it harder to come up with things to be thankful for, but there are some. I'm thankful for the courts who (so far) have handed Trump his ass on most everything that's come before them. I'm thankful there are at least two or three nominal Republicans who won't totally go along with every craziness that comes down the pipe. And I'm thankful that the low number of people who approve of Trump's Presidency* hasn't been growing.

Past that, I'm thankful for Lady O and that we can lead the life we do. And at the risk of being schmaltzy, I'm thankful for the interesting people at BRD who contribute entertainment, friendship, humor, and occasional wisdom.

Enjoy the day and the season!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Thanksgiving 2017

Unread post by Vrede too »

Back at 'ya.

I'm thankful that the Puritans were only partially successful at achieving a theocracy.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

All hail Lady O.

I'm thankful that I had flipped over to fox a day or two before Thanksgiving a few years back in time to watch Brian kilmeade lament that so often Native Americans are shown as bad, but it was the friendly ones like the Hekawi who helped the pilgrims on Thanksgiving.

The other two laughed at him, he argued with them and they laughed harder. He stomped off the set.

I've never seen it on the internet, but sure hope it's there.

Although not Thanksgiving related, I also appreciate having seen kilmeade argue that if you give a monkey a typewriter he'll type the Bible.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

I don't know about Kilmeade's story, but there are some reasonably well-documented instances where the white settlers bit off more than they could chew and would not have survived without some Indian help, such as at Cade's Cove, TN. Those Indians of course received the standard reward for their kindness, and were eventually chased off the land.

O Really
Admiral

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Happy Thanksgiving friends.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:02 pm
More on that topic...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/most- ... &ocid=iehp
Thanks, you commie atheist.
It wasn’t just about religious freedom.

It’s been taught that the Pilgrims came because they were seeking religious freedom, but that’s not entirely true, Mr. Loewen said.

The Pilgrims had religious freedom in Holland, where they first arrived in the early 17th century. Like those who settled Jamestown, Va., in 1607, the Pilgrims came to North America to make money, Mr. Loewen said.

“They were also coming here in order to establish a religious theocracy, which they did,” he said. “That’s not exactly the same as coming here for religious freedom. It’s kind of coming here against religious freedom.” ...

Why I Hate Thanksgiving
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

IMNVHO, the fact that a lot of people have the mythology wrong doesn't mean the concept of "thanksgiving" can't be a good holiday. Like many other holidays, the original meaning/purpose gets lost or distorted over time. Personally, I enjoy Christmas with little or no consideration of the Christian birth myth; enjoy Halloween without thought of Celtic pagan festivals; enjoy a romantic Valentine's Day without thought of Roman Gods or Faunus; and really, I don't consider Thanksgiving to have anything to do with Pilgrims or Indians.

Having said that, however, I do think there ought to be a concentrated effort made to make the story of settler/explorer/Pilgrim egregious cruelty toward the natives more well known. But dropping Thanksgiving from the holiday schedule wouldn't do that.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:21 pm
I don't know about Kilmeade's story, but there are some reasonably well-documented instances where the white settlers bit off more than they could chew and would not have survived without some Indian help, such as at Cade's Cove, TN. Those Indians of course received the standard reward for their kindness, and were eventually chased off the land.
The wife corrected me. He only walked off after being laughed at over his monkey typing the Bible comment. Fox cut to commercial after the F-troop good Indian story and when they came back Brian claimed he had been joking.

I do solemnly swear that my wife and I saw both of these stories on fox and friends with Brian, goocy and Martha.

They must have deleted them (like Rachael does on mcnbc when she tells a big one). Hard to believe that Jon Stewart, or someone didn't save both clips.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Happy belated thanks giving!

No one saved me some turkey leftovers?!?! :mrgreen:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

bannination wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:56 pm
Happy belated thanks giving!

No one saved me some turkey leftovers?!?! :mrgreen:
Back at ya!

All I've got are some leftover petitions I never posted. :oops:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:32 am
O Really wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:21 pm
The wife corrected me. He only walked off after being laughed at over his monkey typing the Bible comment. Fox cut to commercial after the F-troop good Indian story and when they came back Brian claimed he had been joking.

I do solemnly swear that my wife and I saw both of these stories on fox and friends with Brian, goocy and Martha.

They must have deleted them (like Rachael does on mcnbc when she tells a big one). Hard to believe that Jon Stewart, or someone didn't save both clips.

Still weird that someone somewhere doesn't have this clip, but here's someone other than my wife who saw what I saw.
I'm newly inspired to find the monkey types the bible curvy coach nonsense.

http://www.tinyrevolution.com/mt/archives/001893.html

One other person? That's all? And he only commented of one of the two that I most certainly did see on fox news during my year (which addiction turned to over 2) of watching one hour of fox every day.

I can't find anything about Brian and the monkeys. I'm really not sure how this can be. There seem to be more than several groups that watch to expose lies and general idiocy.

I can't doubt myself because my wife saw it with me.