2018 elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

2018 elections

Unread post by Vrede too »

"I am running for the democratic nomination for Governor of Ohio."
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Re: 2018 elections

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:05 am
Gesundheit!

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Makes me wish I had saved FriendoFred's (Thompson) rant on the old gannet Greenville site against Dennis Theminich.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopi ... &start=860
Moved to new thread.
rstrong wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:18 pm
The Intercept: GOP Candidate for Pennsylvania Special Election Is a Former Abu Ghraib Interrogation Consultant

Yesterday Trump was in Pennsylvania campaigning for him.
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:12 pm
rstrong wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:28 pm
If I were in Pennsylvania I'd be making my own front lawn campaign sign:

"Rick Saccone For Twitching On The End Of A Rope."
:lol:

The seat was vacated by the anti-choice Rep. that pushed his mistress to get an abortion. Torturer Saccone is leading by 12 points. It's a solid red district, but that won't stop the right from crowing about a major victory despite losing every tossup and even AL over the past year.
Big-time TV ad buys point to suddenly competitive congressional race

RCP is not listing any new polls, but interesting that both sides are now throwing big money at the race.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Jess Phoenix

Jess Phoenix is a volcanologist, geologist, and the executive director and co-founder of the nonprofit environmental scientific research organization Blueprint Earth. She is a 2018 Democratic candidate seeking election to the United States House of Representatives to represent California's 25th Congressional District.

In 2017, Phoenix announced that she was running as a Democratic candidate for Congress in California's 25th Congressional District against Republican representative Steve Knight in the 2018 midterm elections. She is one of multiple scientists choosing to run for political office through 314 Action, a non-profit organization which recruits candidates with scientific backgrounds and helps them launch campaigns for public office. The organization is recruiting candidates to run against three Republican members of the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology: Steve Knight, Dana Rohrabacher, and Lamar Smith. Her campaign is based on “evidence-based policymaking" and began in April 2017....
Saw her on TV visiting an African volcano. Pics. Pretty cool, I may break my 'home district donations only' rule.

Ol Doinyo Lengai (volcano)
Lake Natron
The Bizarre Medusa Lake of Africa
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Read elsewhere:

"Of all 535 members of Congress , only one holds a PhD degree in anything. But---60- scientists are running for federal office in 2018."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:52 am
Read elsewhere:

"Of all 535 members of Congress , only one holds a PhD degree in anything. But---60- scientists are running for federal office in 2018."
Maybe it means PhD.s in science. Law degrees are doctorates or the equivalent of doctorates. Plus, there are a few medical doctors.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Republican Senate candidate's parents donate maximum amount to his Democrat opponent

:lol: :thumbup:
... But Mr Nicholson has said he became disillusioned with the Democratic Party after serving in Afghanistan and Iraq.

“We were stabilising that country. We made incredible amounts of progress. And what I was hearing back home was a complete and absolute lie, as politicians were running around calling it a failure,” he told Politico....
The parents may be publicly humiliating their son as much because he's become an idiot as because he's con.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

They probably do consider him to have become an idiot - but I don't know that they set out to publicly humiliate him intentionally. The donation information seems to have been gleaned from federal records by the reporter for the article. I didn't see where the parents were announcing their donations themselves. Having said that, however, I wonder if the parents would accept invitations to speak on behalf of the Dem candidate they contributed to - or be in an ad. I'm imagining, "Hi, we're the parents of Kevin Nicholson, who is running for a position in the Senate. We tried to raise young Kevin right, but we failed. We apologize, and accept full responsibility for what he has become. Sympathy for us or for him should not cloud your vote in this important election and we urge you to cast your vote not for our son whose thinking has been distorted by the life he chose, but to vote for Tammy - as we will be doing."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:48 pm
They probably do consider him to have become an idiot - but I don't know that they set out to publicly humiliate him intentionally. The donation information seems to have been gleaned from federal records by the reporter for the article. I didn't see where the parents were announcing their donations themselves.

I think most couples with the ability to give $5400 know that it's public record and know that reporters and others study big donor lists, but I could be wrong. At the very least they knew that Kevin Nicholson would suffer semi-private humiliation when his campaign looked at who was giving to Tammy Baldwin.

Having said that, however, I wonder if the parents would accept invitations to speak on behalf of the Dem candidate they contributed to - or be in an ad. I'm imagining, "Hi, we're the parents of Kevin Nicholson, who is running for a position in the Senate. We tried to raise young Kevin right, but we failed. We apologize, and accept full responsibility for what he has become. Sympathy for us or for him should not cloud your vote in this important election and we urge you to cast your vote not for our son whose thinking has been distorted by the life he chose, but to vote for Tammy - as we will be doing."

That would be hilarious! :clap:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Latest is Saccone +6. However, that's the same poll that was Saccone +12 six weeks ago, whereas "Saccone +3" was a different poll.

Florida Senate - Scott (R) vs. Nelson (D): Nelson +2.2.

Michigan Senate - Pensler (R) vs. Stabenow (D): Stabenow +21.
Michigan Senate - James (R) vs. Stabenow (D): Stabenow +21.

Michigan Governor - Schuette (R) vs. Whitmer (D): Whitmer +7. The current governor is GOP.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Congressional Democrats Go Scorched Earth Against A Progressive Candidate

:roll: She's getting Bernied by the establishment Dems. This is why I never give to groups like the DCCC.

Laura Moser
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:37 pm
Congressional Democrats Go Scorched Earth Against A Progressive Candidate

:roll: She's getting Bernied by the establishment Dems. This is why I never give to groups like the DCCC.

Laura Moser
U.S. House, Texas, District 7
https://www.politico.com/election-results/2018/texas/

Moser took 2nd in the Dem primary, advances to a runoff.
About 33K Dems voted, about 38K GOP voted.

Overall, about 1M voted in the TX Dem primaries, about 1.5M GOP.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:19 pm
rstrong wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:07 pm
... It may be about supporting the Republican side in the March 13 special House election in western Pennsylvania, part of the steel belt. Trump is headlining a Saturday rally in support of Abu Ghraib torturer Rick Saccone. (With Republicans, never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by pure evil.)

Which means that Trump may declare victory and flip-flop on the issue a week from now.

I see that Saccone's Wikipedia entry has recently been whitewashed.
Rick Saccone (R) is +3 in one recent poll. Conor Lamb (D) is +3 in a different recent poll.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -6327.html

Very possibly wishful thinking, but I'm gonna go with the trend and predict a Lamb victory.
Republicans trash their candidate in Pa. special election
The GOP is bracing for an embarrassing defeat next week in a district Donald Trump won by 20 points.

That it's even close, regardless of outcome, is a win for the Dems and doesn't bode well for the GOP in Nov.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Democrat Conor Lamb leads Republican Rick Saccone by 48% to 44% in the latest survey conducted by bipartisan RABA Research. Trump is desperate to turn the tide.

Saccone has promised to be Trump’s “wingman” in Congress. With his endorsement by the NRA, Saccone is ready to carry their water too....

Counselor to the president Kellyanne Conway flew to Pennsylvania on Thursday night to stump for Saccone. She assured the crowd that the nominee will be “a reliable vote” for Trump.

Vice President Pence and Ivanka Trump were able to make the trek in February for separate events to boost Saccone. Donald Trump, Jr. is stumping with Saccone today. The Trump clan is going nuclear to win this one.

Trump is rallying his base on Saturday night, sharing the stage with Rick Saccone in a scene reminiscent of Trump and Roy Moore in December. Expect Trump to fuel the flames of white nationalism and further confuse an electorate that should be blaming the 1% and big corporations for their economic problems not immigrants and clean energy....
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:28 pm
Trump is rallying his base on Saturday night, sharing the stage with Rick Saccone in a scene reminiscent of Trump and Roy Moore in December. Expect Trump to fuel the flames of white nationalism and further confuse an electorate that should be blaming the 1% and big corporations for their economic problems not immigrants and clean energy....
Given that Pennsylvania is a very large state with Philadelphia on one end, Pittsburgh on the other end, and Alabama in the middle, and the 18th District is south of Pittsburgh in what was once coal/steel country, I'd say we have at least a reasonable chance that Trump will get an "Alabama" result. We can hope.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:42 pm
Given that Pennsylvania is a very large state with Philadelphia on one end, Pittsburgh on the other end, and Alabama in the middle, and the 18th District is south of Pittsburgh in what was once coal/steel country, I'd say we have at least a reasonable chance that Trump will get an "Alabama" result. We can hope.
I hope you're right and think you may be, but perspective on Tuesday's election:
GOP Tim Murphy won PA18 64%–36% in 2012.
No Dem even bothered challenging him in 2014 or 2016.
Putin's Agent Orange won PA18 by 20% in 2016.
If this election is close, which all polls say that it will be, it's great news for the Dems in Nov. even if GOP former Abu Ghraib torturer Rick Saccone wins.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Murderers get death penalty for killing one person, but a drug dealer kills 2,000 to 5,000 people - what's up with that

China has a great criminal justice system

We need to impose the death penalty for dealing drugs.

2020 slogan to be Keep America Great.

And the crowd cheered their trump
And trump cheered trump
And then trump cheered for trump again
Then everyone went home
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”