2018 elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: 2018 elections

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:47 am
Murderers get death penalty for killing one person, but a drug dealer kills 2,000 to 5,000 people - what's up with that

China has a great criminal justice system

We need to impose the death penalty for dealing drugs.

2020 slogan to be Keep America Great.

And the crowd cheered their trump
And trump cheered trump
And then trump cheered for trump again
Then everyone went home
POSPOTUS admires the Philippines' butcher Duterte. Also:

Trump Vodka

Let's execute Drug Pusher POSPOTUS first.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:14 pm
O Really wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:42 pm
Given that Pennsylvania is a very large state with Philadelphia on one end, Pittsburgh on the other end, and Alabama in the middle, and the 18th District is south of Pittsburgh in what was once coal/steel country, I'd say we have at least a reasonable chance that Trump will get an "Alabama" result. We can hope.
I hope you're right and think you may be, but perspective on Tuesday's election:
GOP Tim Murphy won PA18 64%–36% in 2012.
No Dem even bothered challenging him in 2014 or 2016.
Putin's Agent Orange won PA18 by 20% in 2016.
If this election is close, which all polls say that it will be, it's great news for the Dems in Nov. even if GOP former Abu Ghraib torturer Rick Saccone wins.
Pennsylvania 18th District Special Election - Saccone (R) vs. Lamb (D)

Monmouth: Lamb +6
RCP Average: Lamb +2.0

Whoa. This could be yuuuuge!
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Another race to watch, I don't know a thing about it other than this email:

The most closely watched Democratic Congressional primary in the country just got a lot closer.

As voters go to the polls today to potentially knock out a rabid Republican in the Pennsylvania 18th Congressional district, all eyes are turning to the Illinois primary happening a week from now on March 20th.

Only 2 percentage points separate progressive champion Marie Newman from unseating conservative Dan Lipinski in the Illinois 3rd Congressional District. This is a statistical dead heat.

Lipinski is a DINO (Democrat in name only) who inherited the seat from his father. Dan and William Lipinski have held this House seat for 35 years. This seven-time career machine politician has to go....

Paul Ryan has no better friend across the aisle than Dan Lipinski. Ryan can count on Lipinski for healthcare-stealing, union-busting, anti-women legislation. Lipinski votes with Ryan and Trump a stunning 35% of the time.

Lipinski voted against the Affordable Care Act and the DREAM Act. He does not support a $15 minimum wage. He’s anti-choice and against equal rights for LGBTQ people. Lipinski leads the Blue Dog Coalition in the House. This is a group of conservative Democrats who act like lap dogs for Trump and Ryan.

A new poll conducted by Public Policy Polling shows Lipinski with 43% of the vote and Newman at 41%....

Reclaim Chicago believes that we need to elect Democrats with a bold vision for the future, rather than those that tinker around the edges of reform. Reclaim Chicago and People’s Action have endorsed Marie Newman because she understands that government should guarantee that every person has quality healthcare and an excellent education, a clean environment, and a social safety net to rely upon in times of crisis.

Marie also believes government should protect people from the individuals and corporations that have too much power. This is who we are up against in this race. Add your endorsement by making a contribution today.

Paid for by People’s Action, www.peoplesaction.org, not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee.

Amanda Weaver, Reclaim Chicago
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:26 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:14 pm
O Really wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:42 pm
Given that Pennsylvania is a very large state with Philadelphia on one end, Pittsburgh on the other end, and Alabama in the middle, and the 18th District is south of Pittsburgh in what was once coal/steel country, I'd say we have at least a reasonable chance that Trump will get an "Alabama" result. We can hope.
I hope you're right and think you may be, but perspective on Tuesday's election:
GOP Tim Murphy won PA18 64%–36% in 2012.
No Dem even bothered challenging him in 2014 or 2016.
Putin's Agent Orange won PA18 by 20% in 2016.
If this election is close, which all polls say that it will be, it's great news for the Dems in Nov. even if GOP former Abu Ghraib torturer Rick Saccone wins.
Pennsylvania 18th District Special Election - Saccone (R) vs. Lamb (D)

Monmouth: Lamb +6
RCP Average: Lamb +2.0

Whoa. This could be yuuuuge!
I don't hear much about his well documented and published career torturing innocent people. Could it be that too many repugs approve of torture.

He pulled the god card last night.
"They’re energized for hate for our president," said Saccone, standing alongside Donald Trump Jr. in a firehouse in this western Pennsylvania town. He continued, “Many of them have a hatred for our country. I’ll tell you some more — my wife and I saw it again today, they have a hatred for God.”
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:roll:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:45 am
I don't hear much about his (Saccone) well documented and published career torturing innocent people. Could it be that too many repugs approve of torture....
It may be that the Dems don't think that torturing is a negative for voters, and they may be correct. :(
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:04 am
:roll:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
I don't hear much about his (Saccone) well documented and published career torturing innocent people. Could it be that too many repugs approve of torture....
It may be that the Dems don't think that torturing is a negative for voters, and they may be correct. :(
That's a wiser thought than from the average Dem campaigner, but it's certainly true. Their goal needs to be focused on rounding up their own and the so-called "independents". They're not changing the vote of any hard core Trumper over something as trivial as torture, corruption, or criminal activity.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
I don't hear much about his well documented and published career torturing innocent people. Could it be that too many repugs approve of torture.
Given who they just appointed head of the CIA, that's a big 10-4.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:12 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Given who they just appointed head of the CIA, that's a big 10-4.
Bastard.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:11 am
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:04 am
That's a wiser thought than from the average Dem campaigner ...
:D

Hence, I stopped being a Dem campaigner decades ago.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

https://www.cnn.com/election/2018/penns ... l-election
Pennsylvania House 18

Lamb (D) 49.8%, 113,111
Saccone (R) 49.6%, 112,532
Miller (L) 0.6%, 1,372

est. 100% in
Whoa. May not hold up and there will probably be a recount, but provisionally :clap: :---P .
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Yeppers, after absentees it's still Lamb by about 600 or so. No auto recount in PA, but surely Saccone will claim Hillary snuck 10,000 Mexicans and Muslims in to vote for Lamb.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Lamb: 49.8%, 113,720
Saccone: 49.6%, 113,079
Miller: 0.6%, 1,378
Makes me miss being able to razz Vox/Bungalow Bill.
O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:27 am
... No auto recount in PA ...
Really? I'm not sure about NC but I lived in one state where, if I remember correctly:
Free if within 0.25% margin.
At candidate's expense if within 0.5% margin.
Last edited by Vrede too on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Auto recount applies to statewide elections, but not to just one district. Hey, it's Pennsylvania, it doesn't have to make sense.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

We missed the boat a little bit. People all over the web were predicting the GOP/POSPOTUS excuses if Saccone lost.
Republicans have a lot of interesting excuses for Rick Saccone's shocking loss in Pennsylvania

... 1. Lamb basically ran as a Republican....

2. Saccone was a terrible candidate....

3. Washington Republicans bungled the race....

4. Trump almost won this for the GOP....
I'd be fine with it being #2 and about him being a torturer, but few centrist Americans care. This was clearly a referendum on Dolt. 45 and the congressional GOP.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Lamb may have very well have been like a Republican from 20-30 years ago, but not the current version. Saccone was a terrible candidate from the standpoint of his own effort, fund raising, personality, etc., but none of that matters in a gerrymandered district that went Trump by +20. To say "Trump almost won it..." is so ludicrous it deserves no response at all.

Yes, Lamb created himself and his campaign to match his electorate. Isn't that what politicians are supposed to do?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ryan Bundy, fresh out of a jail cell, now says he wants to be Nevada’s governor and will run on a state-sovereignty platform.

The eldest son of antigovernment icon Cliven Bundy told media outlets Thursday that he intends to file next week as an independent candidate for governor, then embark on a statewide speaking tour....
Might help the Dems, might not matter.
Conor Lamb, Rick Saccone to run again in November in new and different congressional districts

Just days after the still too-close-to call special election for Pennsylvania's 18th Congressional District, it appears that Democrat Conor Lamb will seek reelection in state's new 17th Congressional District this fall, setting up a likely match with GOP Rep. Keith Rothfus.

Republican Rick Saccone, who competed against Lamb Tuesday night, is gathering petitions to run in the new 14th Congressional District in November, he tweeted.

If they win their respective races, Saccone and Lamb, former rivals, could serve together representing Pennsylvania in Congress next year.
:roll: Once a torturer, always a torturer.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Gingrich says Republicans in for butt-kicking in the Fall...

Well, that isn't exactly in those words, but he did list several things Republicans "must" do in order to avoid the aforesaid butt-kicking:

"Fourth, the GOP must expand its base. The tax cuts give Republicans an enormous opportunity to reach out to minority small business owners and others to build a much broader party. Base mobilization in the end will not win if the base becomes too narrow.

Fifth, President Trump must take some serious responsibility for the recent election results. If he continues to alienate people (especially women), no amount of policy effort will offset the decline in Republican enthusiasm and voting.

Right now, there is time to think through recent elections and design a summer and fall effort that keeps the Republican majority in the House."

As if. :roll: :lol:

(Beware, link goes to Faux News)

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/03/ ... house.html

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Pre-election email about this race above.
Rep. Dan Lipinski fends off progressive challenger in Illinois primary, CNN projects

Rep. Dan Lipinski, a centrist, anti-abortion rights Democrat, survived a progressive primary challenge from Marie Newman on Tuesday for his Chicago-area House seat, CNN projects.

Lipinski was ahead of Newman 51% to 49% with 98% of precincts' tallies reported, according to Edison Research. That puts his lead at about 2,124 votes....
:(
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:28 am
Gingrich says Republicans in for butt-kicking in the Fall...

Well, that isn't exactly in those words, but he did list several things Republicans "must" do in order to avoid the aforesaid butt-kicking:

"Fourth, the GOP must expand its base. The tax cuts give Republicans an enormous opportunity to reach out to minority small business owners and others to build a much broader party. Base mobilization in the end will not win if the base becomes too narrow.

Fifth, President Trump must take some serious responsibility for the recent election results. If he continues to alienate people (especially women), no amount of policy effort will offset the decline in Republican enthusiasm and voting.

Right now, there is time to think through recent elections and design a summer and fall effort that keeps the Republican majority in the House."

As if. :roll: :lol:

(Beware, link goes to Faux News)

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/03/ ... house.html

Isn't the neut always wrong?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

The neut is frequently (most always) wrong in one way or another. In this case, I'd say he's most wrong in implying that there is any way in Hell that the current batch of Republicans are going to "...think through recent elections and design a summer and fall effort that keeps the Republican majority in the House."