2018 elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
JTA
Commander

Re: 2018 elections

Unread post by JTA »

Just took a gander at McMaster.

Out of all three, John Warren is the least openly divisive.

It's interesting noting the trend in language the candidates platforms have taken post 2016. They're much more hostile in tone and openly point fingers at enemies - "liberals, etc".
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:59 pm
An observation from up here in NC, but still in upstate SC's media market: You have a BUNCH of assholes running.
JTA wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:30 pm
I've only seen one of the ads thus far and don't really know a whole lot about the other Republican candidates. I don't foresee myself voting Republican ever again. I'll do my due diligence anyway and have a look and read up about them.
Same here, all I know is the upstate SC TV ads.

I voted in the NC GOP primary this year, I'm registered unaffiliated so I can pick my ballot. My reasoning is described here:
http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopi ... ns.#p84426
I won't be voting for any of the Repugs in Nov.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

There are a bunch of assholes running - and stupid to boot. Their bashing of the worthless do-nothing money-wasting corrupt rascals in Columbia doesn't seem to acknowledge all those worthless scumbags are fellow Republicans.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:35 pm

I voted in the NC GOP primary this year ...
Seriously? You who are normally paranoid about damgummint snooping on citizenry and collecting personal data? Now you're going to be in an NSA file as a Republican voter? What could they do with that information that would be damaging/embarrassing for you? Hopefully you took a good shower in a good fungicide after you voted.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:45 pm
Seriously? You who are normally paranoid about damgummint snooping on citizenry and collecting personal data? Now you're going to be in an NSA file as a Republican voter? What could they do with that information that would be damaging/embarrassing for you? Hopefully you took a good shower in a good fungicide after you voted.
Hmmm, you're saying that our security services are too stupid to know that people do strategic crossover voting? Well, you would know better than me. :P

More seriously, you griefed me beforehand, too. What's wrong with voting in a GOP primary if the intent is to do more for our values than a particular Dem primary will?
O Really wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:40 pm
There are a bunch of assholes running - and stupid to boot. Their bashing of the worthless do-nothing money-wasting corrupt rascals in Columbia doesn't seem to acknowledge all those worthless scumbags are fellow Republicans.
Yeah, it's very strange.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:58 pm

More seriously, you griefed me beforehand, too. What's wrong with voting in a GOP primary if the intent is to do more for our values than a particular Dem primary will?

Nothing really, I'm just yanking your chain. But given the very low value of one individual vote, I'd rather spend mine in trying to assure the Dems have the best chance in the real election. But sure, if the Dem candidate is a lock, and the Republican race is close, and I could have some fun by voting for the more droolingess of leading sorry Republican candidates, I might do it.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:12 pm
Nothing really, I'm just yanking your chain. But given the very low value of one individual vote, I'd rather spend mine in trying to assure the Dems have the best chance in the real election. But sure, if the Dem candidate is a lock, and the Republican race is close, and I could have some fun by voting for the more droolingess of leading sorry Republican candidates, I might do it.
I usually find some reason to pick a Dem ballot, but this year all it had was picking which Dem will lose by the least to gerrymandered US Rep Meadows, and which Dem will almost certainly lose by the least to Commissioner Michael Edney here in rightwing Henderson County. I might as well have stayed home for all the possible impact I could have had. Why not influence the Repugs?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:16 pm
O Really wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:12 pm
I usually find some reason to pick a Dem ballot, but this year all it had was picking which Dem will lose by the least to gerrymandered US Rep Meadows, and which Dem will almost certainly lose by the least to Commissioner Michael Edney here in rightwing Henderson County. I might as well have stayed home for all the possible impact I could have had. Why not influence the Repugs?
Party affiliation is required in Florida primaries. Independents can't vote.
I considered switching to the repug party before the 2016 primary so I could vote for the laughing stock trump - because he could never win.
Glad I didn't. Imagine the new guilt piled on top of my 2000 Nader vote.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:58 am
Party affiliation is required in Florida primaries. Independents can't vote.
I considered switching to the repug party before the 2016 primary so I could vote for the laughing stock trump - because he could never win.
Glad I didn't. Imagine the new guilt piled on top of my 2000 Nader vote.
In the past when I've voted in the GOP primary I have voted for the worst Repugs for that same reason. It's a quirk of this year's primaries that there there were no opportunities to do that and potentially help a Dem. So, in the interest of the community I tried to pick the best Repug from among crappy choices.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 3:22 pm
We'll see what translates to Nov., but at least the Democratic party is changing.
Vrede too wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:18 pm
We are seeing the results of the 1/17 Women's March. They made a strong effort to build on it for change.
Women Won Big In Tuesday's Primary Elections
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:35 am
An observation from down here in SC:

Many of the candidates are playing up their affinity to Trump.

I've seen ads on TV by current gov McMaster pointing out how he's always stood by Trump. The ad also features images of him with Trump.

Another candidates campaign signs seen throughout town, can't remember his name, has a picture of him behind a podium with Trump's campaign sign featured on it.
How did your picks do?
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Democrat's viral campaign video could be trouble for tea party Republican in deep-red Texas

An Air Force veteran’s biographical and cinematic campaign ad has gone viral — receiving nearly over 2 million viewers in just five six days — and could give the Democrat a chance in the heavily Republican 31st Congressional District of Texas....

... Carter was elected in 2003 after a close Republican primary and an uncompetitive general election. He’s been reelected without any significant threat from Democratic opponents — perhaps, until now.

A survey from Public Policy Polling in November found that only 35 percent of the district’s constituents want him back and 57 percent think it’s time for someone new, but he still wins 46 to 40 against a generic Democrat — only six points. When respondents were asked about a Democratic veteran, that candidate was favored by two points, 46 to 44....
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:35 am
An observation from down here in SC:

Many of the candidates are playing up their affinity to Trump.

I've seen ads on TV by current gov McMaster pointing out how he's always stood by Trump. The ad also features images of him with Trump.

Another candidates campaign signs seen throughout town, can't remember his name, has a picture of him behind a podium with Trump's campaign sign featured on it.
How did your picks do?

US Rep. Joe Crowley defeated in Democratic primary in NY

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, a 28-year-old political novice running on a low budget and an unabashedly liberal platform, upset longtime U.S. Rep. Joseph Crowley on Tuesday in the Democratic congressional primary in New York.

The surprise victory by the community organizer in a district that includes parts of the Bronx and Queens came after an energetic, grassroots campaign that mustered more than enough support in a low-turnout race that many had expected to be an easy win for Crowley, a member of the Democratic House leadership.

"The community is ready for a movement of economic and social justice. That is what we tried to deliver," said Ocasio-Cortez, who has never held elected office and whose candidacy attracted only modest media attention....

Crowley has been in Congress since 1999 and hadn't faced an opponent in a primary election since 2004, when Ocasio-Cortez was just a teenager. He was considered a candidate to become the next House speaker if Democrats win the majority.

"It's not about me," Crowley, 56, told his supporters at a campaign party following his loss. "It's about America. I want nothing but the best for Ms. Ocasio-Cortez. I want her to be victorious."

He later played guitar with a band at the election night gathering, and dedicated the first song, Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run," to Ocasio-Cortez.

Crowley represents New York's 14th Congressional District, where he is also the leader of the Queens Democratic party.

Ocasio-Cortez was outspent by an 18-1 margin during her race but won the endorsement of some influential groups on the party's far left, including MoveOn, as well as the actress Cynthia Nixon, who is running for governor. She defeated Crowley by 15 percentage points.

Born in the Bronx to a mother from Puerto Rico and a father who died in 2008, Ocasio-Cortez said she decided to challenge Crowley to push a more progressive stance on economic and other issues.

She attended Boston University, where she earned degrees in economics and international relations, and also spent time working in the office of the late U.S. Sen. Edward Kennedy.

After graduating, she returned to the Bronx where she became a community organizer. In the 2016 presidential campaign she worked for U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders.

Among her issues is expanding the Medicare program to people of all ages and abolishing Immigrations and Customs Enforcement. She recently went to Tornillo, Texas, to protest against policies that have separated parents from their children at the southern U.S. border....

His loss drew the attention of President Donald Trump.

"Wow! Big Trump Hater Congressman Joe Crowley, who many expected was going to take Nancy Pelosi's place, just LOST his primary election. In other words, he's out! That is a big one that nobody saw happening. Perhaps he should have been nicer, and more respectful, to his President!" he tweeted....
:clap:

Classy response to losing by Joseph Crowley.

Odd reaction by POSPOTUS. Evidently, Crowley has made him so butthurt that he's cheering the victory in a safe Dem district by a woman much further to the left. Then, it's both laughable and pathetic that he thinks that Bronx and Queens Dems held Crowley being mean to poor wiiddle Dolt .45 against him and that's why Alexandria Ocasio-Corte won.

Careful what you wish for, Trumpettes, she's going to make you miss Crowley.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Uh oh. Looks like a supreme Court Justice is retiring. Trump gets pick #2.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

JTA wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:58 pm
We are doomed.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

k9nanny wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:09 pm
JTA wrote:
We are doomed.
We are now a beacon on the hill for how to destroy a western civilization.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:45 pm
k9nanny wrote:
JTA wrote:
We are doomed.
Kennedy sure swung hard right with the rulings this week. Maybe the Dems can force a pick that's no worse than he was. They should delay until after the midterms just on principle.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:27 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:45 pm
k9nanny wrote:
JTA wrote:
We are doomed.
Kennedy sure swung hard right with the rulings this week. Maybe the Dems can force a pick that's no worse than he was. They should delay until after the midterms just on principle.
An awful lot of blame has to go to Sandra Day O'Connor for quitting when she did with the excuse she gave. It's been mostly downhill ever since
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:30 pm
An awful lot of blame has to go to Sandra Day O'Connor for quitting when she did with the excuse she gave. It's been mostly downhill ever since
How so? I don't remember.
1312. ETTD.