2018 elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: 2018 elections

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:58 pm
Given that the guy is a current version Republican Trumper, it's easy to believe the liklihood that he has little regard for non-white people. However, even if you believe that he didn't mean any racial disrespect with his comment, one still has to ask "who says 'monkey up'? That's not as common expression as mess up, screw up, foul up, blow it, fumble, etc. Why would a person as a public figure, knowing he's a target for many, even think that's a reasonable term to use with regard to a black opponent? And if he had intended disrespect, isn't "monkey" a term he might have used? ...
We can't know that it wasn't an intentional signal to his white rightwing base that he thought he could get away with.

Not automatically recognizing the implications of "monkey up" when referring to a black opponent and then avoiding its use is a form of racism even if there was no conscious racist intent, especially for the wannabe Gov. of a state as diverse as FL. Making it the very first nominee statement is real stupidity.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:12 pm
Making it the very first nominee statement is real stupidity.
Yeah, that's the point. It's not something you give a guy a pass on, no matter his ummmm "reason" for using the term. Racist or stupid or both, but not "oh well."

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Leo Lyons wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:32 am
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:18 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:11 pm
As for getting out the vote, trump's mini-me callings African Americans monkeys this morning may Inspire a few.
Ron DeSantis uses ‘monkey’ to describe Andrew Gillum's agenda; Democrats brand it racist

Wow, just wow.
A key word here is DEMOCRATS. I watched this video piece several times and I could not glean any racist implication from that statement. Although a poor choice of words, it's clear that he meant 'not to mess up the election', which I took to mean honest, straight-forward, and accurate vote counting, so as not to drag the vote counts on and on, as has been prevalent in past elections.

I suppose now the news story that SurveyMonkey is seeking IPO will have to be flushed because it has racial-bias overtones.
We can no longer publicly say the expression "jew him down", because it's hate speech...
We can can longer "jerry-rig" or "nig*er rig" or "Afro-engineer" something to make it work temporarily...

I could go on, but I'm still concerned that third-world countries need clean water.

Nope leo, it rolled off his tongue nice and natural because that the way he thinks and speaks. Like most racist, he has no idea what a hateful pig he is.

Similarly, neither he, you or George what's his name were able to understand the offence in calling someone a "macaca".
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:12 pm
O Really wrote:
Given that the guy is a current version Republican Trumper, it's easy to believe the liklihood that he has little regard for non-white people. However, even if you believe that he didn't mean any racial disrespect with his comment, one still has to ask "who says 'monkey up'? That's not as common expression as mess up, screw up, foul up, blow it, fumble, etc. Why would a person as a public figure, knowing he's a target for many, even think that's a reasonable term to use with regard to a black opponent? And if he had intended disrespect, isn't "monkey" a term he might have used? ...
We can't know that it wasn't an intentional signal to his white rightwing base that he thought he could get away with.

Not automatically recognizing the implications of "monkey up" when referring to a black opponent and then avoiding its use is a form of racism even if there was no conscious racist intent, especially for the wannabe Gov. of a state as diverse as FL. Making it the very first nominee statement is real stupidity.

I feel sure that it wasn't intentionally planned as a signal, it was simply the way the big man thinks.

Check out the commercial I get to see every time I turn on the tv.

https://youtu.be/boZgAQYJDDY

Yep, he doesn't have a clue that he's a racist, but there are many of us who can recognise hate when we see it.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:56 am
Nope leo, it rolled off his tongue nice and natural because that the way he thinks and speaks. Like most racist, he has no idea what a hateful pig he is.

Similarly, neither he, you or George what's his name were able to understand the offence in calling someone a "macaca".
I couldn't remember the details.
Macaca (term)

Macaca [mɐˈkakɐ] (feminine) and macaco [mɐˈkaku] (masculine) are the Portuguese words for "monkey" (compare English macaque). In Portugal and Portuguese-speaking countries, macaco (plural macacos) is used as a racial slur against Black people.[citation needed]

Similarly the word "macaque" was used as a racial slur by Belgians in their African colonies.

... In a 1994 essay, literary scholar Patrick Colm Hogan discussed the racist symbolism surrounding the name Makak, the protagonist in Derek Walcott's 1967 play Dream on Monkey Mountain.

Journalist Taki Theodoracopulos referred to Bianca Jagger, who is of Nicaraguan origin, as macaca mulatta in 1996. Theodoracopulos has frequently used racial slurs in his published work. In fact Macaca mulatta is the scientific name for the rhesus monkey.

2006 George Allen incident

The failed re-election campaign of Republican U.S. Senator George Allen of Virginia generated much controversy after he used the word macaca in reference to a person of Indian ancestry. On August 11, 2006, at a campaign stop in Breaks, Virginia, near the Kentucky border, George Allen twice used the word macaca to refer to S. R. Sidarth, who was filming the event as a "tracker" for the opposing Jim Webb (D) campaign.

This fellow here over here with the yellow shirt, Macaca, or whatever his name is. He's with my opponent.... Let's give a welcome to Macaca, here. Welcome to America and the real world of Virginia.
— George Allen

Sidarth is an Indian American and was born and raised in Fairfax County, Virginia. Even though Allen claimed that he made up the word and said that he did not understand its derogatory meaning, a media outcry erupted following his use of the term. After two weeks of negative publicity, Allen publicly apologized for his statement and asserted that he in no way intended those words to be offensive....

The controversy created by Allen's use of the term contributed to his narrow loss (49.6% to 49.2%, whoa) to Webb.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Donald Trump Gets Brutally Mocked Over 'Biggest Stadium' Pledge For Ted Cruz

Donald J. Trump
‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump

I will be doing a major rally for Senator Ted Cruz in October. I’m picking the biggest stadium in Texas we can find. As you know, Ted has my complete and total Endorsement. His opponent is a disaster for Texas - weak on Second Amendment, Crime, Borders, Military, and Vets!
Sounds like @tedcruz is afraid of @BetoORourke and is asking for help from the guy who called his wife ugly and said his dad helped kill JFK. What a brave candidate.
Would this be Lying Ted??? Asking for a friend...
Not a great sign that POTUS is needed to help a GOP state-wide candidate in Texas.
The president will be campaigning for "Lyin' Ted," who called Trump a "sniveling coward" and told him to leave his family "the hell alone" during the 2016 presidential campaign after Trump basically called Cruz' wife ugly.

How times change.
Texas motto: Don't mess with Texas.
Cruz motto: Mess with me and my family, I will still grovel.

Comments:
Perhaps Bigly Field is available.
He should build Bigly Field during infrastructure week.
It's big league
I hope they're serving covfefe at the refreshment stands.
Will the Snark Bar be open?
Bigly Field is the bigliested.
LOL, good one.
If not, there's the Yuuugeston Astrodome.
What has 20 legs, 48 Rubles, 16 teeth, 2 banjos and 4 rebel flags? Any 10 random people at a Trump rally.
Well, Ted, with friends like Donald....
He sure helped Roy Moore get elected
The RCP Average has dropped to Cruz +4.4.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -6310.html
In just 2 or 3 weeks RCP has moved the race from "Likely GOP" to "Leans GOP" to "Toss Up".
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... e_map.html
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

O Really wrote:
Leo Lyons wrote:
I watched this video piece several times and I could not glean any racist implication from that statement. Although a poor choice of words,...
Given that the guy is a current version Republican Trumper, it's easy to believe the likelihood that he has little regard for non-white people. However, even if you believe that he didn't mean any racial disrespect with his comment, one still has to ask "who says 'monkey up'? That's not as common expression as mess up, screw up, foul up, blow it, fumble, etc. Why would a person as a public figure, knowing he's a target for many, even think that's a reasonable term to use with regard to a black opponent? And if he had intended disrespect, isn't "monkey" a term he might have used?

We can no longer publicly say the expression "jew him down", because it's hate speech...
We can can longer "jerry-rig" or "nig*er rig" or "Afro-engineer" something to make it work temporarily...
No, you can no longer use those terms because they're rude and disrespectful. Do you seriously think they're not?
I have to say it would depend on who's in current company; otherwise, yes.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Yep, he doesn't have a clue that he's a racist, but there are many of us who can recognise hate when we see it.
Have you been copying quotes from the Daily Mail?

Regardless how smoothly his mouth moved, how he spoke the words, what language he spoke, or if he was speaking in tongues, I still don't believe he meant his words as a racial slur. Stupid choice of words, given the race of his opponent? Yes.
I had never heard of the word "macaca" until you posted it. I Googled it for definition.
In reading many articles dealing with this incident, most of the hatefulness in attitudes, speech, and name calling has come from the Liberal/Democrat camp. :o :shock: :wtf:

Leo Lyons
Ensign

All in all, I don't think he meant any harm or malice, but that's just me.
I don't support him or the GOP; so I'll just have some fun with this.

Funny quotes I copied:

"That makes me really want to rethink putting Mrs. Buttersworth on my pancakes"

"So I guess we’ll have to change the “spades” in cards to something else? Ace of Shovels just doesn’t sound right!"

"Does that mean we can't use the word "congress" anymore? ... No because Congress refers to a troop of baboons ... Baboons? Great, that’s racist too"

"Might not be able to say kool-aid anymore.."

"I’m offended by your racist comments. Using “I” in a sentence is offensive because you’re not being inclusive to other people"

Last One: (the best!)
"Is there an approved list of words somewhere?"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

O Really
Admiral

Funny. Mostly.
But why is it people are so willing to defend their "right" to disrespect, denigrate, belittle or offend others? Why do they consider being a decently nice person a weakness of sorts? Why is self-centered selfish considered a desirable trait? Did these people never get out of middle school?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:45 am
O Really wrote:
Leo Lyons wrote:
I watched this video piece several times and I could not glean any racist implication from that statement. Although a poor choice of words,...
Given that the guy is a current version Republican Trumper, it's easy to believe the likelihood that he has little regard for non-white people. However, even if you believe that he didn't mean any racial disrespect with his comment, one still has to ask "who says 'monkey up'? That's not as common expression as mess up, screw up, foul up, blow it, fumble, etc. Why would a person as a public figure, knowing he's a target for many, even think that's a reasonable term to use with regard to a black opponent? And if he had intended disrespect, isn't "monkey" a term he might have used?

No, you can no longer use those terms because they're rude and disrespectful. Do you seriously think they're not?
I have to say it would depend on who's in current company; otherwise, yes.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Have you been copying quotes from the Daily Mail?

Regardless how smoothly his mouth moved, how he spoke the words, what language he spoke, or if he was speaking in tongues, I still don't believe he meant his words as a racial slur. Stupid choice of words, given the race of his opponent? Yes.
I had never heard of the word "macaca" until you posted it. I Googled it for definition.
In reading many articles dealing with this incident, most of the hatefulness in attitudes, speech, and name calling has come from the Liberal/Democrat camp. :o :shock: :wtf:

So, since George Allen's family taught him to call people macaca monkeys it is not racist?

No idea why you missed him using the term to denigrate someone.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Those terms are "rude and disrespectful" in ANY company. No vile racism or other bigotry gets a pass by only being expressed in bigoted company. It's still bigotry and it's still validating pitiful bigots.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:07 pm
Those terms are "rude and disrespectful" in ANY company. No vile racism or other bigotry gets a pass by only being expressed in bigoted company. It's still bigotry and it's still validating pitiful bigots.
I have family who, like leo, firmly believe that it's not racist if it's done in private.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:59 pm
Funny. Mostly.
But why is it people are so willing to defend their "right" to disrespect, denigrate, belittle or offend others? Why do they consider being a decently nice person a weakness of sorts? Why is self-centered selfish considered a desirable trait?

I think your questions are best put to your pal Vrede; because I know of no one who wears those labels so proficiently. It seems I recall his speaking these very words to another forums member "Don't like my comments? Use PM" . :wtf: :shock:

But why is it people are so willing to defend their "right" to disrespect, denigrate, belittle or offend others? .... Did these people never get out of middle school?
I'd have to say that can be blamed on that old sneaky First Amendment thingy. Name calling has been around since..whenever. Some is laughed off, some is frowned upon, some get pissed off/on, some get their jollies pissing others off (while hiding behind a keyboard :lol: ) It doesn't appear that education status has any bearing on this trait, as I've heard highly educated people use some of the best language to "disrespect, denigrate, belittle or offend others." Liberals and atheists who "disrespect, denigrate, belittle or offend" Christians top the list; politicians of opposing parties come next.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:13 pm
I have family who, like leo, firmly believe that it's not racist if it's done in private.
It's like saying that rape and pedophilia discussions are okay as long as it's with other rapists and pedophiles.
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:54 pm
So, since George Allen's family taught him to call people macaca monkeys it is not racist?
Of course that would be racist; now that I know what you're talking about.

No idea why you missed him using the term to denigrate someone.
You think that because I didn't comment, I'm racist? :lol: I didn't comment because I had never heard the word before.
rac·ist

noun
a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.
synonyms: racial bigot, racialist, xenophobe, chauvinist, supremacist

adjective
showing or feeling discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or believing that a particular race is superior to another.

There's nothing in either of these definitions that state anyone speaking an "offensive" word is racism.

I did not hear any names spoken or any individual pointed out in the speech that referenced "monkey things up".
Just sayin'

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:23 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:13 pm
Does a falling tree make a noise if no one's around to hear it?
It's like saying that rape and pedophilia discussions are okay as long as it's with other rapists and pedophiles.
Dumb analogies. Does a falling tree make a noise if no one's around to hear it?

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:07 pm
I have to question how you would know what is "being expressed in bigoted company" if you're not part of that company? Who gets to slap a bigotry or racism label on them?
:wtf: :shock:

O Really
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:41 pm

Dumb analogies. Does a falling tree make a noise if no one's around to hear it?
Depends on the definition of "noise."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:47 pm
Plus, character is not dependent on witnesses nor the presence of victims.
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Leo Lyons wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:41 pm

Dumb analogies. Does a falling tree make a noise sound if no one's around to hear it?
Including definition of "sound?"
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:55 pm
O Really wrote:
Plus, character is not dependent on witnesses nor the presence of victims.
You're saying it's OK to judge someone's character without their being seen or heard, or having any knowledge of them?