With all the dumping on Florida, maybe we need a Carolina Man story or two

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: With all the dumping on Florida, maybe we need a Carolina Man story or two

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:28 am
Vrede, I'll see your Tampa man and up you a simpsonville leo.

https://www.dailykos.com/story/2018/8/9 ... in-my-city

To be fair, he was also rookie of the year in Greenville.

Cop to black people, "But you understand. I know who my people are, right? Who belongs here and who doesn't? We've got gang wars going on and all kinds of stuff. And I come from the big city. But this stuff is small, okay? So that's cool. Do your thing."

England, Arkansas has gang problems?

Big city past is Greenville SC
:lol: I've always said that JTA is a city slicker.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Well, Greenville as "big city" might be a bit laughable, but not if you're looking at crime rates. It's frequently found on "dangerous" lists of one sort or another.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:45 am
Well, Greenville as "big city" might be a bit laughable, but not if you're looking at crime rates. It's frequently found on "dangerous" lists of one sort or another.
I guess not that small:
Population (2010)
• City 58,409
• Estimate (2017) 68,219
• Rank SC: 6th
• Density 2,360.8/sq mi (911.52/km2)
• Urban 400,492 (US: 93rd)
• MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) (2017) 895,923 (US: 61st)
• CSA (Combined statistical area) (2017) 1,459,766 (US: 38th)
One source:
Crime in Greenville, South Carolina

Crime is ranked on a scale of 1 (low crime) to 100 (high crime)
Greenville violent crime is 68.7. (The US average is 31.1)
Greenville property crime is 64.0. (The US average is 38.1)
I didn't know.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

I posted about the youth shooter in the dumb headlines thread - now I find out that he's a Carolina man.

https://www.unilad.co.uk/tv/activist-wh ... ts-to-sue/

Judge Haller, "Uh... did you say 'yutes'?"
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

These gottwalds are way high on the list of shits from the Carolinas.

https://www.thenation.com/article/worse-than-lead/

"Today, TBBPA is the world’s most-produced brominated flame retardant, with millions of pounds sold each year. Like all flame retardants, TBBPA will escape in time from wherever it’s placed and enter the homes, offices, and bodies of people, as well as pets, livestock, wildlife, plants, streams, and rivers. Once in the human body, it can cause cancers, mutations, learning disabilities, behavioral issues, fertility issues, and reduced IQs. A 2014 study by the National Toxicology Program found that TBBPA caused cancers of the uterus in female rats and cancers of the liver in male mice.

None of this unsavory health news seemed to bother the Gottwalds; a resolute willingness to pollute has been central to Albemarle’s strategy from the beginning. So has the company’s management by family members—indeed, family control appears to be key to the Gottwalds’ financial success, shielding them from the opprobrium of outsiders who might recoil from the nasty end of the chemical business in which Albemarle has dwelled.

Forbes recently estimated the Gottwald family’s net worth at $3.1 billion,"

Ridiculous amounts of money and power not only encourages ridiculous greed, but an indifference towards humanity.

All of mine will be safe behind the guard gate, the doorman, or under the dome.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:52 am
"Today, TBBPA is the world’s most-produced brominated flame retardant, with millions of pounds sold each year. Like all flame retardants, TBBPA will escape in time from wherever it’s placed and enter the homes, offices, and bodies of people, as well as pets, livestock, wildlife, plants, streams, and rivers. Once in the human body, it can cause cancers, mutations, learning disabilities, behavioral issues, fertility issues, and reduced IQs. A 2014 study by the National Toxicology Program found that TBBPA caused cancers of the uterus in female rats and cancers of the liver in male mice.
Newton's third law is: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

It seems that for every product manufactured to help humanity; it's flip side is destructive to humanity.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:01 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:52 am
Newton's third law is: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

It seems that for every product manufactured to help humanity; it's flip side is destructive to humanity.

They weren't manufactured to help humanity, they were manufactured to make money - in spite of knowing their products would kill people.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

https://www.wbtv.com/2018/09/20/sc-cong ... t-justice/

“I though I was going to be late. Did y’all hear this latest late-breaking news on the Kavanaugh hearings?” said Norman. “Ruth Bader Ginsburg came out saying she was groped by Abraham Lincoln.” said congressman Norman

he so funny

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:25 am
https://www.wbtv.com/2018/09/20/sc-cong ... t-justice/

“I though I was going to be late. Did y’all hear this latest late-breaking news on the Kavanaugh hearings?” said Norman. “Ruth Bader Ginsburg came out saying she was groped by Abraham Lincoln.” said congressman Norman

he so funny
South Carolina. :wave:

Good on Archie Parnell (D) for fighting the good fight, and good on the Kiwanis Club for calling out Congressman Ralph Norman (R-SC5), BUT RCP doesn't think the seat is in play enough to even bother calling it "Likely GOP".

In just the last 4 days RCP has moved one House race from the GOP side to "Toss Up", not sure which one. Their analysis is now:

Democrats 206
Republicans 189
Toss Ups 40 (38 of them are currently GOP seats)
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

https://www.thedailybeast.com/most-want ... es&via=rss

"Daniel William Hiers, Jr., a former police officer in Charleston, South Carolina, was reportedly living abroad as an English teacher."

"Hiers let the girl play with the lights and siren of his patrol car, and would later would give her rides to and from karate class and other outings. “I cannot believe that I gave this man total access to my child. I guess I was naive,” the woman said."

Oh, and he murdered his wife.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/finance/n ... 33782.html

I'm always curious why these sovereign citizens aren't identified as such.

Just a guess, but the loss of law license in the 80s, the huge house, the guns and the foster kid (many if them get income from having 10 or 15) are all pretty typical.

Anyone know how many foster kids he had?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:01 am

Just a guess, but the loss of law license in the 80s, the huge house, the guns and the foster kid (many if them get income from having 10 or 15) are all pretty typical.

Details are still sketchy. A couple of things I've noticed:
His wife is still a practicing attorney and presumably bringing in money.
He's active on social media - bragging about being a marksman - but no mention of his politics.

How does a person get VA disability if they were abled enough to become a lawyer, practice law and lost their license for fraud, not because they're disabled? I know that lawyers don't have real world skills ( :P ;) O Really), but one would think that he must have been able to do something else.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/latest-wound ... 01680.html
Last edited by Vrede too on Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:09 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:01 am

Details are still sketchy. A couple of things I've noticed:
His wife is still a practicing attorney and presumably bringing in money.
He's active on social media - bragging about being a marksman - but no mention of his politics.

How does a person get VA disability if they were abled enough to become a lawyer, practice law and lost their license for fraud, not because their disabled? I know that lawyers don't have real world skills ( :P ;) O Really), but one would think that he must have been able to do something else.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/latest-wound ... 01680.html
Wanna bet he illegally gets va and ss disability.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Report Exposes North Carolina’s Deep Involvement in the CIA’s Illegal Torture and Rendition Program

... The North Carolina Commission of Inquiry on Torture (NCCIT), a citizen-driven truth commission formed to investigate the role that North Carolina and its public resources played in supporting the U.S. torture program, has released their final report following an 18-month process led by its 10 commissioners.

“Torture Flights: North Carolina’s role in the CIA rendition and torture program,” which can be found at www.nctorturereport.org, details new findings about the role of Aero Contractors, which operated rendition flights out of a small rural airport in Johnston County and the state-run Kinston Global TransPark after 9/11. One of the Commission’s findings is that during the first, developmental phase of the CIA’s global “black site” or secret prison system, from September 2001 to March 2004, Aero flew 49 individuals to torture, or over 80% of all identified CIA renditions....
:gthumb: :ateeth:

(NC) State Bureau of Investigation unit prepared “threat assessment” of Atlantic Coast Pipeline protestors

:roll: :oII
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

OK, I'll stand with you at the barricades when the cops are beating up on peaceful protesters. If I were in criminal law, I'd volunteer to represent those arrested for "trespassing" or whatever trumped up charge. And yes, information of any sort can be misused by anybody for their own nefarious purposes. But... big BUT...

Is it not true that any controversial topic that generates large protests could become violent, or that infiltrators not a part of the actual protesting group could create violence? Would the "state’s surveillance and counter-terrorism unit, the Information Sharing and Analysis Center (ISAAC)" even be doing its job if it didn't review risk potential and prepare a "threat assessment"?

According to the article, ISAAC says, the ACP “has the potential to become a regional focal point for ideologically or politically motivated violent extremist actors inspired to commit acts intended to disrupt and halt ACP construction.” Is that untrue?

But the ISAAC report concludes that there is no “specific, credible information” suggesting international or domestic terrorists, or “homegrown violent extremists,” are actively targeting the ACP.

Is that not what a threat assessment should do? Is it really reasonable in 2018 to assume that all protesters will be Vredes? People shot over statues, bombs at foot races, craziness abounding and fueled by Trump letting the crazy flag fly. Even with the possibility of putting a chilling effect on the protesters, it seems failing to "expect the unexpected" would be gross negligence.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

... However, the document does not mention that industry has tried to infiltrate and disrupt peaceful demonstrations at several pipeline sites. TigerSwan, a private security firm based in Apex, has been cited by North Dakota regulators for surveilling and conducting intelligence investigations on protesters without a private investigator’s license.

James Reese, president of TigerSwan, has been issued a North Carolina private protective license as well as one allowing him to be a security guard, by a board overseeing those permits.

Taylor said her organization is advising “sincere protestors to keep erratically or violently behaving people isolated and to warn others. With the kind of tactics that TigerSwan has used, we have to be concerned about protestors’ safety.”

Nor does it mention land agents’ tactics in trying to access private property for surveys related to the ACP. Many land owners have complained publicly, and in a related court case, that the agents, contracted by the utilities, have tried to intimidate them or even lied, to gain that access.

Some landowners whose property is in the ACP route have reported trucks parked nearby, Taylor said, “with a person just sitting in them for extended periods.”
LEOs and polluters have conspired far more often to repress nonviolent dissent - including by using provocateurs to entrap or to cause violence, or by openly being the source of violence as with KXL - than treehuggers have resorted to violence. Have you ever heard of government investigating the potential for LEOs or private security to become violent?
Last edited by Vrede too on Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:00 pm
Have you ever heard of government investigating the potential for LEOs or private security to become violent?
No, I haven't, and I'm not sure exactly how that would occur outside of some unit like Internal Affairs. It certainly wouldn't be politically likely that a governing group (city council, state agency, whoever) would actually admit such conduct was ordered or approved. And if they "discovered" it occurring, they'd pretty much have to harummph and set up a phony-balony "investigation" leading to fingers pointed and innocents fired.

On the other hand, it seems a reasonable (and maybe essential) study for organizers to do.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

From the HUAC days and the Church investigation on there has been regular exposure of government repression of nonviolent dissent, yet good people for some reason believe that this time it's just being prudent. There has been some rare greenie property destruction, yet ALL of the personal violence I'm aware of has come from LEOs and industry, including the violence of the pollution that's at issue, along with the massive and routine property destruction it causes.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I don't think it's a logical jump from "government agencies have been caught many times trying to suppress dissent" to "any effort to assess risk arising out of a crowd of protesters and their opposition is also an effort to repress." Lotta crazies out there.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:59 pm
I don't think it's a logical jump from "government agencies have been caught many times trying to suppress dissent" to "any effort to assess risk arising out of a crowd of protesters and their opposition is also an effort to repress." Lotta crazies out there.
I did not make that jump, I just compared risk based on history. Lotta bastards in law enforcement and industry.
1312. ETTD.