With all the dumping on Florida, maybe we need a Carolina Man story or two

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

With all the dumping on Florida, maybe we need a Carolina Man story or two

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

https://nypost.com/2018/04/13/maniac-ki ... face-cops/

In Florida when we shoot ourselves in the face it requires more than a bandaid; not so much so in Hickory Tavern.

The asshole was able to kill the horse. Too bad he didn't miss the horse and kill himself.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Re: With all the dumping on Florida, maybe we need a Carolina Man story or two

Unread post by O Really »

Strange story - I wonder how one gets "...a shotgun from a nearby house...", ostensibly loaded. Just walk in and look for a gun? Take it away from the owner who was trying to shoot him with it? Had it stashed there intending to use it later? Doesn't mention what type of shotgun, either. Big enough to kill a horse, but gives him basically scratches when it's fired close to his face. Guy needs to be hauled away to the looney bin and locked away for a long time. That, or just let him loose and assume the likelihood that he'll do something to cause somebody to shoot him.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Ahem, South Carolina Man. :D

He'll be known in prison as the idiot that missed his own head with a shotgun.
O Really wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:50 am
Strange story - I wonder how one gets "...a shotgun from a nearby house...", ostensibly loaded. Just walk in and look for a gun? Take it away from the owner who was trying to shoot him with it? Had it stashed there intending to use it later? ...
I wondered, too. The Laurens County Sheriff’s Office news release uses the same wording.
... At this time Hurley went to a nearby residence and gained possession of a shotgun ...
A BIG guess is that it was the home of a friend or relative that's not named since they had no idea that they were abetting a crime and may not have even been home, but idk.
Last edited by Vrede too on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Wouldn't that have been "stole a shotgun"?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:02 am
A BIG guess is that it was the home of a friend or relative that's not named since they had no idea that they were abetting a crime and may not have even been home, but idk.
O Really wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:10 am
Wouldn't that have been "stole a shotgun"?
If the former, no. if the latter, yes, depending on the relationship. I'm just guessing based on the choice to not say, "stole a shotgun." Could also be that they're still trying to determine whether it was stolen or the culpability of the house/shotgun owner. Or, the SD press person is semi-literate.

Aside: I've seen what happens when one doesn't miss with the shotgun. One of the grosser things in my career. There wasn't enough remaining architecture to get an airway in, died within very few minutes of arrival.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Could there be a meth or maga angle to the story?

Inquiring Floridians want to know.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

or woman

Rodan + Fields fires white woman who allegedly assaulted black teen https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ro ... en-n888151

"Rodan + Fields fired a white South Carolina contractor who allegedly assaulted a black teenager at a pool and told him he didn't belong there"

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:29 pm
or woman

Rodan + Fields fires white woman who allegedly assaulted black teen https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ro ... en-n888151

"Rodan + Fields fired a white South Carolina contractor who allegedly assaulted a black teenager at a pool and told him he didn't belong there"
I'm old enough to remember segregated pools and amusement parks in the DC area, and the brave and patriotic folks that desegregated them.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:48 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
or woman

I'm old enough to remember segregated pools and amusement parks in the DC area, and the brave and patriotic folks that desegregated them.

Pools, pool halls, schools, barber shops, beauty parlors,
restaurants and bars either didn't serve blacks or had rear doors to a separate room, even gas stations had three bathrooms - men, woman and colored.

Water fountains allowed for co-mingling of the sexes but not so with the races, cool fountain water was strictly for White Only and Colored.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:40 pm
Pools, pool halls, schools, barber shops, beauty parlors,
restaurants and bars either didn't serve blacks or had rear doors to a separate room, even gas stations had three bathrooms - men, woman and colored.

Water fountains allowed for co-mingling of the sexes but not so with the races, cool fountain water was strictly for White Only and Colored.
Ugh. The DC area wasn't that bad and I was young. All I personally remember were the segregated pools and amusement parks.
Like many public facilities in and around the Washington area, Glen Echo (Amusement) Park was restricted to whites for 63 out of the first 70 years of its history. On June 30, 1960, to draw attention to the continuing segregation, a group of college students (primarily from Howard University) staged a sit-in protest on the carousel. Five African American students were subsequently arrested for trespassing. The arrests were appealed to the Supreme Court four years later, and the convictions were reversed in Griffin v. Maryland on the grounds that the state had unconstitutionally used its police power to help a private business enforce its racial discrimination policy. This led to an eleven-week civil rights campaign against Park policies with students and residents of the nearby Bannockburn community joining together to demand change. As a result, the park opened its doors to all races for the 1961 season.
My mom also protested against housing discrimination, but I'm not even sure what year that was. It was something she told me later.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Much of our rules were unwritten and some are still being exposed.

But the Texaco station in Auburn had a Colored bathroom and water fountain until 1970. Our only 24 hour restaurant was still refusing blacks or serving burgers with only pickles at least through 69.

Mr. Ray's had a round the back separate dining/beer for blacks until Mr Ray died in the early 80s - that would be around the same time as when Jeff sessions made a well received joke at the dinner table about the lynching of 19-year-old Michael Donald by two members of the Ku Klux Klan.
There were laughs and a couple of polite snickers all around

O Really
Admiral

I remember going to Glen Echo when it was an amusement park, not long before it closed. Interesting that something that originally started in "1891 as a National Chautauqua Assembly "to promote liberal and practical education" would turn into a bastion of segregation. Doing pretty well, now, though, in its latest reincarnation. https://glenechopark.org/

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:46 pm
I remember going to Glen Echo when it was an amusement park, not long before it closed. Interesting that something that originally started in "1891 as a National Chautauqua Assembly "to promote liberal and practical education" would turn into a bastion of segregation. Doing pretty well, now, though, in its latest reincarnation. https://glenechopark.org/
I think I'll check it out if I ever make it back there, though I'm sure I won't recognize a thing.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
or woman

North Carolina was jealous.

White Man Calls Police on Black Family Using Neighborhood Pool

:roll:

Man accused of racism no longer employed by Sonoco after incident at community pool in Winston-Salem

Also: "The Glenridge Homeowners Association announced Thursday afternoon that Bloom resigned his position as the pool’s chairman and board member, effective immediately."

:---P :clap:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:19 am
https://nypost.com/2018/04/13/maniac-ki ... face-cops/

In Florida when we shoot ourselves in the face it requires more than a bandaid; not so much so in Hickory Tavern.

The asshole was able to kill the horse. Too bad he didn't miss the horse and kill himself.
Damn! Shot himself in the face!?! He probably told her not to laugh because she was next.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45119326

But, but officer, I'm a clean white girl

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:03 pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45119326

But, but officer, I'm a clean white girl
:D South Carolina.

Sistah, you gotta be more subtle in asserting your white privilege.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede, I'll see your Tampa man and up you a simsonville leo.

https://www.dailykos.com/story/2018/8/9 ... in-my-city

To be fair, he was also rookie of the year in Greenville.

Cop to black people, "But you understand. I know who my people are, right? Who belongs here and who doesn't? We've got gang wars going on and all kinds of stuff. And I come from the big city. But this stuff is small, okay? So that's cool. Do your thing."

England, Arkansas has gang problems?

Big city past is Greenville SC

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:28 am
Vrede, I'll see your Tampa man and up you a simsonville leo.
Throw is a penscola billy and I'll buy in.